The UNCCH Scandal – VS – The DaVinci Code

DaVinci Code
May22/ 2017

The Great UNCCH Scandal (TGU) – VS – The DaVinci Code ….. A BLSays Exclusive.

During the 10-week recovery from my retina surgery, I could not drive. The BobLeeMobile sat idle. When I tried to start it the battery was dead…. Duh. A $140 new battery and I was good to go. A lesson learned…. “use it or lose it”.

Lets apply that strategy to discussion of everyone’s favorite Great Athletic/Academic Scandal i.e. The Great Unpleasantness at UNCCH? With that poor horse still on life-support, I can’t risk losing my razor keen analytical skills…. let’s beat it once again.

The timeline for this Keystone Kops Kaper looks like a plate of spaghetti. We are approaching the 4th, 5th or 28th “deadline” for UNC to respond to a response to a response? NCAA LOIC (Lack of Institutional Control) allegation #12 or #23 ??? Some research geek with the local chapter of ABC (Anybody But Carolina) has the correct chronology.

The NCAA critiquing ANYONE for “lack of control” redefines hypocrisy. ….. “pots and kettlesBeach Party”.

I recall “Young Marvin” Austin (who recently joined AARP and applied for MediCare) hitting SEND from some South Beach debauchery straight out of a Ballers episode…. during the Carter Administration, wasn’t it?

Then Humpty Dumpty fell out of the rafters of Dean’s Dome and went SPLATT. “All the king’s horses and all the king’s men” and more high-paid lawyers and PR hacks than there are banners in those rafters have been working feverishly to sweep Humpty’s mess under any rug they can find at around a $1,000/hour… but who’s counting?

The last $$$ tally had the TGU Cover-Up Costs at upwards of 18,000,000…. Or is 18,000,000 the N&O’s Money“official” tally of the number of derelicts and brain-dead hippies at “Bully” Barber’s latest Hoot&Hate ? Ask Jim Goodmon’s toadie Peter Anlyan.

…. $20,000,000 is what former Dean Smith guard Jim Delany received as a “bonus” for negotiating a Lollapalooza TV deal for the 14-members of The Big Ten. “14 members of Big Ten” – a fellow could get confused.

I cleverly put UNCCH Scandal in the title of this opus…. So 18,000,000 could be the # of moths attracted to this cyber flame. “Nekkid Cheerleaders” only gets about 5,000 by comparison.

With Blondie out chasing bunny rabbits across our front lawn with her new Mother’s Day chainsaw; I had “a vision” while eating pimento cheese and Bread&Butter pickles on Triscuits. Bear with me here….

Head In SandOne of the lingering “How Comes” of TGU has been WHY otherwise reasonable adults of a Tar Heel persuasion are unable to accept the FACT that Dear Old Alma Mater screwed up REALLY REALLY BAD. UNBELIEVABLY REALLY BAD…. close enough to DEATH PENALTY BAD that one can smell DEATH PENALTY with just a slight breeze

NOTE: Not everyone of “a Tar Heel persusion” is reasonable or adult or capable of rational thought; but there are some. Those “some” are today’s focus.

The simplest excuse is they are in a terminal state of knee-walking drunk on Carolina Way W(h)ine. Their self-images tied to semi-literate 18 y/os. I have another theory.

The date that dear sweet & lovable Duo of “Deb & Burgess” kicked off their little “lets do something to help Saint Coach Smith’s less academically motivated young men” Plan a/k/a SCAM has been carbon-dated to around 1992. Saint Coach Smith retired in October of 1997. Five years into the eligibility scam.

In addition to being The Greatest Human Being in The History of Human Beings (?) Saint Coach Smith was the poster saint for “micro-managing”. In addition to turning Gatorade into wine, enabling the blind to walk…. and the lame to see, Saint Coach Smith knew EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING that went on within his basketball program. OR did he?

Here comes the Dual Conundrum…. EITHER:
(1) Saint Smith did NOT know about the Eligibility Scam. He was NOT All-Knowing…. Omniscient…. Or capable of beating UCLA in The Wooden Era. ….. He was (shudder) A MORTAL MAN! ….. OR

(2) Saint Smith DID know all about the Eligibility Scam, condoned it, and simply pulled “a Sgt Schultz” from 1992 to 1997 and beyond. Ergo he was not only MORTAL, he was pathologically dishonest. Grounds for (shudder again) Un-Sainthood.

Saint Coach Smith either knew or didn’t know but either way he was NOT what he allowed his naïve “true believing” disciples to believe he was. DEAN SMITH WAS FLAWED…. And not just “smoking like a chimney”, and occasionally “driving under the influence and above posted limits”.Kipling

An incredible analogy to Rudyard Kipling’s The Man Who Would Be King applies here.

Back to those “some” rational adults of a Tar Heel persuasion who still insist on “going ostrich” since Humpty Dumpty fell from those rafters so many many years ago.

For a “DD Lower Level” Tar Heel to accept that DEAN SMITH was not only “just a man” but an ethically flawed man guilty of overseeing a crooked program for AT LEAST five years is equivalent to asking a Born Again Christian to deny both the Virgin Birth AND Resurrection.

Coincidentally, Coach Smith did both of those too when he fell under the theological influence of one Robert Seymour. But that’s a story for another day.

That Saint Dean Smith even “might not” have been what one believed in one’s heart of hearts is a Life-altering moment for a Carolina Way Wino.

Spending $20,000,000+ to preserve that myth is vintage DaVinci Code plot material. …. with self-righteous Rams Clubbers as the obsessed Knights Templar.  Is this “rich” or WHAT! …. Dan Brown – Dan Kane ?

Awesome Personal Anecdote: Three years ago I had a very private conversation with a quite prominent UNC Alum. A name many would recognize. He had become addicted to this website and to my uncanny ability to cut to the chase AND…. to make him giggle.

The discussion de jour was “what did Dean know and when did he know it”. My friend was confident Dean knew absolutely nothing about it. “Oh” I said, “and how well did you know Coach Smith.” “Not at all… I never met him” he replied. “So your total confidence in his integrity and sterling character is based on …….. ?” …. “What ‘they’ say…. ’” he replied as his own words went KERPLUNK.  In his profession such a blind assumption is a No No.  I touched the tip of my nose and softly replied “Bingo”.cookies

“Damn you BobLee” he muttered as he nudged a plate of warm homemade chocolate chip cookies across the table towards me. …… One more misguided soul rescued from the clutches of blissful ignorance.

I hope this helps you in further untangling this Gordian Knot of a Scandal.

##

At 8:28 AM Monday a Major Game-Changer landed in Ye Olde In-Box.  KABOOM!  Complete details will follow later this week.  If you thought “the designated hitter” and “long pants” were cataclysmic to The National Pasttime – Just Wait!

##

AgentPierce is now being compared to Thomas Paine, Patrick Henry and Nathan Hale.  Other than Nathan Hale being lynched by the British, this is all good…. we think.   LINK

UNC has told the NCAA that no student athletes had or received any special arrangements
    Need a readership poll to determine which of the three great lies will be replaced by the UNC response
    Dial 1-888-TGU-LIES and cast your vote for removal. Press the appropriate key as follow to remove the lesser of the frauds.
    1>>>The check is in the mail
    2>>>I will not “blank” in your mouth.
    3>>>I did not have sex with young lady, Ms. Lewinski

• wolfdon Reply

Where did Swoff fit into this chronology ? …..I know he is put off by the bias within the COI on this matter, may be he is a saint also.

I’ve never heard any Deification of Swoff BUT he is a high profile NCAA Exec-Celebrity AND a pal of Jim $20,000,000″ Delany so who knows. It’s only been 8+ years since this crap hit the fan and Swoff has yet to utter a single word about it. Maybe he hasn’t heard yet. He has been awfully busy with “bathroom bills” as you know. He DOES have his priorities as we all do.

Swoff be the one that convinced the UNC Faculty Senate to endorse AFAM and also to con the UNC Admin into adding same.
      Swoff personally and irrecoverably eradicated all hard and digital documents linking him to such prior to leaving UNC.
      Anyone that purportedly has clandestine copies of such will become the Seth Rich of Chapel Hill

I snuck “over there” today but was in a sanctuary Sanctuary. Seeing one’s face on a Wanted poster tacked to a telephone pole is a proud moment in every “wise guy’s” career. HAA!

• OldWuf Vet Reply

You probably weren’t aware but us wolfies scrambled a couple of drones when we realized that you crossed the DMZ today. We were prepared to jam all computers and TV’s in Chapel Hill with a never seen primitive recording of the mythical 1924 National Championship Game one of our computer engineers reconstructed. Figured if the TruBlues were distracted by further illusions of their greatness, then you could make your escape. We’ve got your 6.
          I’m sure you’re more concerned about character assassination than physical violence. We’ve found over the years that we’re more likely to be attacked by the French army or a church friend of your Great Aunt Flossie than a UNC dude. Worst case, you’ll probably just get slapped.

Good to know. It’s a strange place for sure.

• Former96Heel Reply

Wow. I gotta start wearing an incontinence device reading this. If ORW were to somehow come down with cancer, Skinner would have a team of writers try to one-up that famous ESPY speech.
    ‘come on Roy, channel that Coke ad. Think about your momma’s hard earned dime. They’ll name the Student Academic Center for you if you nail this’

You mean Skipper as in John Skipper(UNC75) the MEGA-Liberal CEO of the embattled Worldwide Leader ….

• Former96Heel Reply

Skipper, not Skinner, correct.

• Gary.74 Reply

I’ve been a loyal BLS fan for going on 15+ years so I have historical context. With that in mind, BL, will “Art & Burgess’ Bathwater” have the shelf life of “Micki’s Whorehouse” ? BTW… I still use that one.

NOTHING will ever equal / top Mickie’s Whorehouse EVER.
      Back in around 2003-4, to stress the growing lunacy of the Internet (which was nothing compared to now!) I started “Mickie Krzyzewski is running a whorehouse out of the tennis pro shop at Hope Valley Country Club” ….. it went VIRAL. I was doing a lot of civic club gigs back then and would always include that bit. Hard-core UNC TruBlues ate it up. DUH! The key to selling Wild-Ass Crap like that is to include specifics such as “…the tennis pro shop”. The more specifics the more believable. Also telling it matter-of-factual as if “everyone of course knows about ….” helps sells it.
      With Art and Burgess’ Bathwater that is not necessary because it’s absolutely true. … IF YOU READ IT ON THE INTERNET!

I understand how this column can be seen as “a vicious attack on a sacrosanct figure”. All I am actually saying is maybe he’s wasn’t quite so sacrosanct. IOW simply another coach in a often brutal take-no-prisoner’s business where Winning is ultimately what matters… and everything else only matters IF YOU ALSO WIN.

• NCSU77 Reply

You just said out loud what a lot of people were thinking. Look at the response to your column. I often wondered where this part of the story was in the coverage. As I recall, it was never brought up by any of the “learned” journalist in our area. Perhaps it was just too sensitive and issue for them.
      I dared to breach the subject while my father-in-law was pontificating about the TGU. The ensuing “discussion” was not pretty. It was then I realized he drank the Kool Aid a long time ago and there is no antidote.
      I am fortunate that I can live side the 50 mile circle and not “Give A Damn.” Makes life much less stressful.

I wasnt kidding that I committed HERESY by even broaching the idea that Dean was not a Deity. If Torquemada was alive in Chapel Hill I would be drawn & quartered. The total absurdity of their convoluted thinking is beyond A HOOT. The older the Tar Heel the more totally convinced they are of his HOLINESS. For a community that spoofs traditional “religion” it is even more hilarious. I DARE YOU to send this column / comments to your father-in-law and watch his head EXPLODE!

I just had a vision. I might be wrong. Please tell me I am but eventually the DES legacy will fade somewhat only to be replaced with ORW worship. Oh my!!

NO WAY. Not a chance. That has been debated for several years. His # of rings notwithstanding, he (ORW) does not “resonate” with the rank&file TruBlues. I would say that could be a factor in his recent forays into Ultra-Liberals comments but “he ain’t smart enuff” to try doing that. ORW is too tone deaf to his own flawed image. He might get some silly thing named for him but thats it. ORW totally lacks “the IT Factor” for deification. …. UNLESS he manages to contract Cancer and die nobly …. INCOMING !!!

• DrVinnyboombatz

ORW will leave a legacy with the NCAA more than likely.
            If the COI does it’s job, then ORW will be the only coach to EVER win ONE championship and LOSE TWO in the same calendar year.

I’d bet he loses just 2005 …. and UNC pays a monster fine, but not out of ORW’s pocket.

• Mr.X.88 Reply

BobLee, I know you joke about it because thats your style but …. this time you’ve committed the sacrilege of “pissin’ on their Pope” with that bunch. How do you really handle it?

Are you asking for a layout of where the claymore mines are buried on the perimeter and the schedules of my security staff? DAMN!
      I “take precautions”. Often when I’m out&about I’m with AgentPierce. I always figure he takes the first bullet and I’ll have a second or two to get off a few rounds. Don’t tell him I said tht. I don’t worry about the Lower Level Gang…. BOT Bobby Winston’s buddies. It’s the Wal-Marters that are perpetually unhinged. Also in these times, I try to frequent places that PackPeople might frequent. If I run into more than I can handle – say over a dozen – I hope a few Wuffies might jump in on my side. Lots of lunches at Amedeos.
      If you let the insane nutjobs intimidate you … the insane nutjobs win. BTW… I love that “pissin’ on their pope” line.

• MaryMc.Shelby Reply

You mention in an earlier comment reply that Art Chansky wears a vial of Burgess McSwain’s bathwater on a chain around his neck. Is that true?

Gawd Luv Ya MaryMac! Either you know Art well enough to know he just might be that fanatical… or you don’t know him but know his reputation. Alls I will say is YOU READ IT ON THE INTERNET SO ….
      Did you question those “at least 80,000 maybe more” at Bully Barber’s Hoot&Hate?
      Did you question Melania Trump is a tranvestite?
      Did you question “those rich white boys did it” in the Duke Lacrosse Scandal?
      All of the above were “on the Internet” too. So if you see Art having lunch at Top Of The Hill go up and ask to see Burgess’ bathwater. Let me know what he says.

I haven’t had this much fun since Game Six of the 2011 World Series. …. I told you earlier I heard from “That Damn Dan”. So this AM I heard from both “Whistleblower” and “Jay”. Both LOVED this column and both advised me to “keep my head on a swivel” if I’m on Franklin Street. When Whistleblower AND Jay AND DDK are worried for me… I pay attention.
    Whistleblower is safe sound and doing very well …. in WITSEC. “Jay” is having a bit of a dust-up with Bubba. You probably read about that. Always great to hear from them.
    I WILL be “over yonder” later this week but I avoid major roadways. I enter/leave via a secret tunnel system from plans borrowed from El Chappo under the Rio Grande.

• Baltimoreheel Reply

I am not on the bandwagon that DES was a deity since he was a diehard lib. I met and was honored to speak with him twice and found him to be a sincere caring person. This confirms to me his love and concern for his players making the right decisions not only for the program but for their lives. I do not believe he saw this “Afro-American Studies” cirriculum as an issue. This was a program set up and designed to appease the black students of the University. He was the first coach to recruit a black player in the conference. On its cover how could that look bad to a liberal. I don’t think it was Dean’s position to question the University about their academic programs especially since they had been voted many times to be the best public university in the country. Also this program was new to relatively new when Dean retired so why would he ever feel threatened by it? He was mostly concerned with the players attending class and their corresponding grades. The rest was the responsibility of the school. I give ORW the benefit of the doubt of also believing the structure of academic programs is the responsibility of the school and not of the athletic depts. I personally have ALWAYS been of the opinion that “Afro-American Studies” is a silly useless academic program that does little to nothing to better the futures of its students. Then agin, I’m not a lib. Not with you BL on the trashing of DES or ORW. But I do agree it is TGU!
      Baltimoreheel

I don’t think DES saw it as “wrong” at all but rather a necessary means to a “noble end” – a college degree for innocent victims of a prejudicial society. AND, of course, maintaining eligibility for their chosen profession as BB players. Innocent “situational ethics” ???

• Baltimoreheel Reply

I’m sorry I didn’t make my point very well. I don’t believe he had any idea that the curriculum was what it was. I don’t think he realized its ridiculousness as a college curriculum because that was not his role. He thought the “idea” was good but had no knowledge of its flawed execution. Had he known what we know now I feel certain he would have taken action with his players. I mean he even didn’t want fans standing and waving their arms behind the goal posts when the opposition was shooting free throws. I can’t believe he would be OK with inappropriate classes that were doing more harm to his players and the program than good. It doesn’t make sense that he would stand for that. Of course it is all conjecture and opinion at this point. We can continue to agree to disagree and I will still be a loyal reader!?.
          Baltimoreheel

Your conjecture is quite possible. By 1992 DES such total confidence in Burgess McSwain that he would not have bothered to confirm the details of the AfAm Plan. Assuming she had the best intentions. She likewise would have felt the ends justified the means and it was right BECAUSE she was doing it.

• Lance A Boyle Reply

One thing that we do know that Dean knew, because he sent a helicopter to check it out … David Thompson’s driveway was paved by NC State alums.

Maybe so…. but the red caddy convertible that Dominique Wilkins was driving around “Little Washington” came from Georgia coach Hugh Dueham …. not from Jinmmy V.

• Steve Reply

Outstanding article ! Mike Chandler’s comment was as well.

Thanks. Mike’s comments WERE spot-on!

Great Subject and timing on the article too. May is Sweeps month. TGU always delivers. ?

INDEED is does. Page views headed towards 18,000,000 without Nekkid Cheerleaders!

• JD Reply

When will the TGU be blamed on Russian influence therefore absolving the liberal do-gooders at UNCCH of all crimes?

You say that tongue-in-cheek but never be surprised how “those people” can rationalize ANYTHING to fit their twisted agenda.

• Former96Heel Reply

I did see Wainstein’s name in a list of potential FBI heads. I guess 1k/hour gigs must not grow on trees if he were to even consider letting his name be tossed in

“Waino” working for Trump. Is it possible the UNC loonies could hate him even more ???

• Zeke93 Reply

BobLee, this column is like epic movies – Godfather I – Casino – Lonesome Dove. I’ve read it three times so far and finds new “killer lines” each time. Have you sold the screen rights yet?

“My people” are entertaining offers. Selleck is first/only choice to play “the intrepid Internet Legend”.

So Monday night I received an email from “a certain notorious investigative reporter with a certain notorious regional newspaper”… Uh Oh! …. “BL, Now if I’m walking down Franklin Street and a surly mini-mob confronts me I’m going to yell “LOOK, there’s BobLee going into Sutton’s!” and I’ll make a clean getaway.” 🙂
    TDDK and I lamented that neither one of us will ever catch Coach K in “popularity” along that infamous boulevard.
    I’m not that uptodate on “rappers” but wasn’t there a Notorious BIG? Am I now Notorious BLS?

• GrahamPacker Reply

GrahamPacker,

Damn Bob Lee! Those great Duke docs really opened your eyes. You have been slowly sensing the “light” for several years. Now you can clearly see what many of us Pack fans have seen for years. Congratulations!

HA! I’m not sure “the Duke Docs” get the credit for “opening my eyes”. That would be too ironic. My “estrangement” from my alma mater probably began 20 years ago but TGU certainly “broke this camel’s back”. Obviously The University itself going full-bore ultra-liberal was something I find abhorrent coupled with the hiring of The Butcher and all the other crap. The subject merits a full column.
      I have some true life-long friends “over there” but over time realized I never was “a true believer”. I knew enough about how the sausage was being made that it simply became obvious I didn’t “belong”.

• Former96heel Reply

Is it horrible or just self-loathing to be wishing in some small part for the dp?

It has zero chance of ever happening, but it is the best chance for the sham that is college sports to be righted. It’s similar to hitching up to the Trump train knowing the storm may be just what can clear the sewer.

I disagree. The DP will “NOT send a message”. Other cheaters will keep on cheating “because” ….

You and Mike Chandler pretty much nailed it. For reasonable Tar Heel fans, (there are a few) even hints or discussions from many in news and sports media that UNC could face the NCAA death penalty is chilling. I don’t believe THAT will happen but even the mention of, or consideration of it should wake up even die hard deniers. But it won’t.

The “die-hards” CAN’T CHANGE. “It” is too engrained in who they are socially and professionally. That Old Well Arrogance is part of their DNA.
      I’ve never thought it would be the DP… but anything more than 6-figure fine will cause apoplexy.

• DrVinnyboombatz Reply

A monetary fine is no punishment for a wealthy school like UNC. Post season bans and vacated wins must happen or the NCAA is toast.

Totally agree. Even 9-figures is “slap on the wrist”. 3-4 heavy-hitter hedge fund Rams will ante up and It’s bizness as usual….

• Ron S. Reply

Dean Smith never once reported a NCAA violation in 36 years. That right there tells us how dishonest he was. Any coach will tell you it’s impossible to go that long without a violation….even Roy.

Recruiting was not quite as public “back then”. I always thought DES’ retirement coincided with the changes in media and public information. Imagine Dean with Social Media !!!!!!

• David K Reply

What was the graduation rate of his players during his tenure?

No clue but you know what they say about statistics and statisticians. DES was VERY image-conscious and managed that image with an iron fist… and with zero interference from ANYONE.

• Mike Chandler Reply

Jokes and exaggerations often serve to reveal overlooked truths. All the jokes about “Saint Dean”, not to mentional the long-running hagiography about him by folks like Chansky, expose something that is troubling: the reverence and fervor expressed by true-believers and praisers / defenders of all things UNC find their source in a sort of idolatrous worship of UNC sports in general and UNC basketball in particular. As you have noted, this zealotry is so deep-rooted and so tied to some fans’ sense of identity and self-worth that it is literally impossible for them to believe, let alone admit, that UNC, its staff, or its coaches (and certainly not Saint Dean) have ever done anything wrong ever in their whole lives even when confronted with mountains of evidence to the contrary.

It seems clear from some that has been revealed from TGU that UNC has a lot to atone for. They won a lot of games and made lots of money on the backs of some of their revenue sport athletes over the years and, in return, shunted some of these into bogus classes where they would learn little or nothing (but they would have more time to practice and train, naturally). Assuming this same student athletes were promised a “public Ivy” education when they signed their scholarship agreements, what transpired seems a lot more like “exploitation” than “education” or “opportunity.” The fact that its was decided to cram most of the bogus classes into the AFAM department was a cynical step that borders on the disgusting if you really think through what that step implies.

More disturbing has been the reaction if UNC and its many defenders to these revelations: denial, foot-dragging, obfuscation, and an all-out PR and legal team strategy to defend UNC athletics, past, present, and future, and weasel out of any punishments at all costs. No apologies. No repentance. No true soul-searching or assessment of their “moral inventory.” Nope. It’s all “we did nothing wrong and everyone else is just jealous of us.” Given the lack of remorse, and the apparent continuing idolatry, the NCAA may be the least of their worries: it may be Hell’s fires that they should be concerned about,

INCREDIBLE ANALYSIS. I hope everyone takes time to read it. I can’t add anything to it. WELL DONE / WELL SAID.

ONE NOTE: I believe every letterman under Dean AND continuing under Roy are “assured” a future in “professional basketball” either USA or abroad for as long as they stay healthy enough. Alternative careers other than “coaching” are never given concern. They all “major in basketball”.

Wonderful post…
      Let not those caught up in the DES was a SAINT forget that his “Regime” of Coaches and Grad Coaches and Managers and “OTHERS” also engages in Human Trafficing. The Sweet Carolines were “Voluntary”…like the drug dealers that gave out free drugs. Once they were part of the “In Circle”, they were then forced to bring in others and go deeper into the abyss.
      Now in fairness to DES, the Sweet Carolines were also dispersed or handed out for FB stars.
      I suppose that there were no “Alternative” lifestyle Sweet Carols for recruits of the Michael Sams persuasion. How totally unacceptable and how anti LBGTQX….we need an “ISM” for UNC Athletic folks that did not offer equal opportunity for those not of the “hetro” vein.

I compare the Sweet Carolines to NCSU’s infamous Unitards. Both existed for a short time (granted the SCs lasted longer than the Unitards (one game) but in the grand scope of Human History both were short-lived EXCEPT in the memory of “hated rivals” where NOTHING is ever forgotten.

• fayettewuf Reply

IMHO Smith did not see the creation of an AFAM curriculum as perverting the system nor cheating. He coached too long. IIRC Smith was a math major and probably a pretty logical thinker. He contrived a very successful system using fairly talented players who really were students. When he had players like Rusty Clark, Larry Miller, Bob Lewis, or Charlie Scott, he did not need too much cooperation from the faculty (there are jock sniffing professors everywhere but most don’t give a damn about sports). At some point, I think, he realized that to stay successful, he was going to have to recruit more athletic and less academic players, many of whom were AA and much more interested in the NBA than the liberal arts. The logical move was to find a curriculum that might be more interesting and less rigorous.

Astute analysis! Some hard-core PCers might accuse you of “profiling” or “stereotyping” that AfAms are “not capable” of doing college-level academics tracking that back to their ancestors being uprooted from their homeland 400 years earlier. Lets not go there.
      It is A FACT that Dean’s teams as well as every other Major BB school became more/more AfAm-centric during the 80s. The 1982 team being DES’ first 4 AfAm starting five. That he anticipated the need for a academic track specific for them is probable. It is also a FACT that DES’last team was the first to have TWO Sophomores for to the NBA – Stackhouse and Wallace. Only Juniors had left prior to that. Meaning short-term eligibility became a need. Only three semesters to deal with for Superstars. The AfAm Scam served that need. …. NOW, Did he know the classes were bogus. Did he WANT to know ??? We’ll never know now.

• ncsu1987 Reply

Tarspartan’s point IS a great one.

Among my friends, those who move away from the Raleigh area more than, say 200 miles, seem to calm down, and the calming effect of distance is, at minimum, linearly proportional to distance. And it’s exactly as you say, BL – it all has to do with the fact that you don’t have 8 or nine yahoos pushing your buttons the day after.

There’s a small minority, with personal happiness firmly tied to athletic success, for whom there is essentially no hope for substantive change. For the rest of us, on both sides, distance and ever-maturing perspective can help us navigate.

I once told Holden Thorp to think in terms of 50 mile concentric circles. Every time you enter a new circle the “Give A Damn” factor goes down or up as the case may be. I did a talk to the Hickory Rotary Club six months after Marvin’s tweet and asked for a show of hands – Ever heard of Jennifer The Tutor. 8 hands raised out of 120 attendees.

• PrinceAlbert Reply

You’d better try and arrange to get Danny Reagan and his pretty partner (Blue Bloods) to come and take care of you after all the Saint Dean admirers that are going to be after you. Great article.

To hell with’em. Most of those SOBs already hated me for my politics and my disrespect for Ol’ Roy. Luckily I don’t do Sunday Brunch at Carolina CC or Governors Club.
      I told “Damn Dan” Kane I might pass him with my popularity on Scenic Franklin Street.

• TarSpartan Reply

I have decided that one’s reasonableness about TGU is often proportional to the distance one lives from the alma mater. I graduated on Mother’s Day 1997, made it to East Lansing for grad school the following Thursday, and have only made it back to Chapel Hill three times since. Then again, part of my sense of proportion is due to my other alma mater being guilty of holding 10k+ student riots after a Final Four loss, turning a blind eye to drunk driving hijinks of National Championship winners, and recruiting young men guilty of various degrees of assault. At least they drew the line at “driving down main street with a cop’s arm stuck in your rolled up window,” but that’s another tale…

EXCELLENT POINT! TruBlues in the Triangle are in the crosshairs 24/7 from co-workers and neighbors. Hardly a day goes by without a jibe or nasty post-it note. After 8-9 years that gets old. Like “Amphibious” did after 20 years. I was living in Dallas in 1982 and was the only man in Dallas that Whooped when MJ hit the jumper. Proximity Breeds Touchiness !

• ncsu1987 Reply

Bob Lee, “misguided soul…saver”. I like it.

Undoubtedly the souls that you save are better for it, but I suspect you don’t get many thanks. And you got a literal LOL with the Kipling reference. First time I’ve heard that analogy applied, and it really works well.

It’s a lonely occupation (“saving misguided souls”) not unlike Maytag Repairmen. I used that Man Who Would Be King analogy A LOT with Lord Obama. I’m sure some will use it for Trump. Kinda like everyone calling one another NAZI. All self-appointed messiahs seem to fit.

GOD FORBID….I offer the following. My Red NCSU Shorts may self ignite and cause harm to the surrounding territory, WHICH, like your car battery, is not used as frequently as it once was….BUT, I am as good ONCE as I EVER WAS…

Dean (enter title of your choice) Smith KNEW that an “Afro Friendly” Curriculum would make it “less stressful” for the majority of the members of his team. The Boys at the U of K had done done the groundwork and the NCAA and the UK BOG was ON BOARD.

Johnny Swofford was in his prime and had just graduated cum Lawdy from the Bobby Purcell & Jimmy V “Ice Cubes to Eskimos” Sales Course..The “Red Flag Waving” bunch of Faculty “Leaders” would buy anything and John Boy was selling them DES Prime Vintage Kool Aid.

NOW the code gets a little fuzzy here…as it has been translated by individuals that would not qualify for Supreme Court members…

MY take is that DES never meant to “GIVE” out grades. He DID, I think, believe that an Afro Studies program MIGHT make it easier for his laddies to maintain their GPA and Eligibility…in that the area of study MIGHT be interesting to them.

No GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED…there were THOSE that saw this as an opportunity to provide a higher level of “eligibility”. Sylvia’s buddy and Debbie and Uncle J were, along with Wayne Walden (NOT of the Pond) were quick to take advantage. Sort of follows the Liberal Penchant to take advantage of a seemingly FAIR agreement or piece of legislation….voted for by BOTH sides, and then use one sentence to totally “enable” more of their kind. Numerous examples exist….that is why the NRA does NOT trust the liberals who say…”you have to support this…it is for the GOOD of the Children…”

SO, I will give DES a slight pass….about as much as Joe Paterno got…..now THAT should infuriate about everyone…

FYI, I DO recommend the Amazon Battery Minder #1500 for $45. I have used one for many years as we leave 2 of our fleet in the garage for a 1 – 2 month period when we travel with the motor home. This will also desulfonate the battery and make it more robust and last longer (Think electric Viagra). I use one on my Deere as the charging system is dead and the battery is going on 5 years and still working flawlessly….despite being recharged when I mow. Same for the standby emergency generator.

MAYBE The Dynamic Duo simply took The Scam several steps farther than DES intended them to do? We’ll never know.

• DrVinnyboombatz Reply

This is one of your best columns on TGU.
        Please keep them coming.

I think it was the Bread&Butter pickles inspiring me. I told Damn Dan Kane this one might move me past him on the Bounty meter on Franklin Street.

• DrVinnyboombatz

You may very well be right on the bounty meter.
            Mary Willingham and Dan Kane have had death threats.
            Have you had any yet?
            There are some things that take more guts than what you wrote here in this state but not many.
            I’ll give you one example: Publishing a picture of Mohammed with a red circle and a red slash across it in Islamabad, Afghanistan would take more guts than telling the truth about DES in NC.

You’ve obviously never seen “my buddy Chansky” when St. Dean is not properly revered. NOT a pretty sight AT ALL.
            Never had a death threat but several “gonna come by your tailgate and beat you up….”. 🙂

• Puddinhead Reply

This is silly. The ONE thing DES will get a “you got us there” nod on from this Wolfpacker is the pure evil genius behind putting his sham curriculum into a course of study that no right-minded human being would touch with a 10-foot pole in this overly PC environment we live in today. I have forever envisioned Sofford, Roy and Dean sitting around a table in a dark room laughing through the clouds of smoke lingering about while squint-eyed pointing their cigars at one another saying: “AfAm studies… now that’s a good one.”

I can easily see DES TELLING Swofford how its going to go down. And Swoffy nodding like a bobblehead doll. I doubt DES would bother to include Roy back then. Roy was too busy peddling team calendars to t-shirt shops across the state.

• MaHa Reply

BL, Not to speak ill of the departed but Burgess was from my home town and was neither sweet or lovable. She was way way out and totally soaked in the cool aid and would do anything for the sainted one which she apparently did. MAHA.

Say it ain’t so MAHA! My buddy Chansky still wears a vial of her bathwater on a chain around his neck. To Dean Disciples she has Mary Magdalene status. Another myth EXPLODED …. sigh.