Standing in line at Ted Drewes

Ted Drewes
May29/ 2017

Every city and town in America has it’s much beloved “ice cream store”… and barbecue joint… and, in the case of my hometown Kinston NC, it’s beloved Confederate gunboat shipwreck.

In St. Louis that ice cream store ‘ne “frozen custard parlour” is Ted Drewes.

Yesterday, Sunday, was unseasonably warm in St. Louis so the Lovely & Talented Grace (L&TG) was standing in line to buy “a concrete” – Ted Drewes signature item. Just in front of her was a Midwest FFamilyamily of Four – right off of a Norman Rockwell Saturday Evening Post cover.

Mom, Dad, son and daughter were each thumbing their iphones and excitedly telling each other “read this one… and this one…”

“Excuse me” asked L&TG. “What is going on?”

Immediately all four held out their Iphone 7 plus screens for her to see, and in unison exclaimed “IT’S HIM!”

L&TG’s eyes got big as pie plates. She was speechless. Staring back at her were four roguish images of the man L&TG had known all her life as “Uncle BobLee”. “That… that’s my Uncle BobLee!!”

It was the family’s turn to gape. When everyone had recomposed, the family – from nearby Kirkwood – were so impressed to meet “BobLee’s niece” that they treated her to her concrete.

“Mom and Dad, Lily and Jack will NEVER believe this” L&TG thought as she drove home with her Ted Drewes concrete.

Just one such story happening all across the Greater St. Louis SMSA… all up and down The Big River from Memphis to Moline. With their beloved “Birds” in a late May swoon, Cardinals Nation was in need of “a hero”… had Stan The Man heard their prayers and delivered… Stan always delivered.

BobLee’s two most recent Redbird Rants have hit Cardinals Nation like a Big Mac blast into Busch Stadium’s leftfield upper deck… a/k/a Big Mac Land.

Redbird Rants2

MLB and those incessant charity/cause uniforms…

“…Mark my words. There’s a big brouhaha acoming if MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL keep doing these league-wide charity/cause promotions. What’s seems “worthy” to some ain’t gonna seem “worthy” to somebodies else…”

And…

BobLee on Brockmire

.”…so I have this image of Lauren Shehadi and Joe Buck standing at urinals in a run-down gas station outside Morristown.”

***

117 miles upriver in the town of Hannibal MO a spectral figure dressed all in white rocked on the porch of the Clemens house. As he watched the loaded barges moving their goods to Memphis, New Orleans and beyond… he pondered… Mark Twain

“I wonder if the marvelousness of this new fellow – this BobLee – has been greatly exaggerated. They say he’s a bit of a wordsmith. I’d best be keeping my eye on him.”

And in the distance a barge pilot cried out “Mark – Twain” as he checked the channel depths of The Mighty Mississippi.

A New Day dawns in Fly-Over Country… in the shadow of The Arch.

REDBIRD RANTS … THE LINK.

Folks:  I am NOT going anywhere literally or figuratively.  I will still be RIGHT HERE (1) jousting with all the same windmills and (2) pummeling all the same dead horses… (3) pointing out all the emperors parading about in no clothes…

…. when this preliminary smoke clears with this new St. Louis gig, the only change will be my audiobook listening might suffer… from three books/week down to two.  Only so many hours in a day even in a Legend’s day.  I will be serving two audiences – Here and St Louis – each with their own priorities.  St. Louis Cardinals fans don’t care about TGU… and you don’t care about Kolten Wong’s elbow.  I’ll care about both.  I’m a big boy… I can handle both.

Ever mindful of the sage advice of George Armstrong Custer  on that Montana prairie in June 26, 1876 – “Take no prisoners!”

• Robert Kennel Reply

Really enjoyed CNR comments on you and his past enthusiasms. He obviously likes you very much, and we’ve known for some time how much you admire him.
    Liked CNR comments on the Dodgers as well. Today ended 7 games between the Cards and Dodgers. Although Dodgers won 4 of 7, great Card pitching the last two days including Molina stealing two strikes in the 9th today.
    Several mutual friends called asking why I was crazy enough to “participate” again in this uneven forum. My simple response is that I generally enjoy your writings, consider you a friend, and consider the sources of some of the negative responses. Go Pack ! Go Dodgers !

oddly, several “mutual friends” keep asking me why I “put up with” you. My response is that I have never banned anyone in 18 years and do not want you bragging that you were the first. Your “mutual friends” never bother to come to your defense in “this “uneven forum”. huuummmm.
      oh well ….. I bet those mutual friends would support your very own TheBobKennel.com website along with “80,000… maybe more”.

• CNR Reply

BL,

Below is the message I sent out to Cardinal fan relatives and friends of many years from Central and Southern Illinois to Houston, Arkansas, Oklahoma, West Tennessee, New Orleans, and from Keokuk to Joplin/ Springfield/ Omaha to Western Kentucky and SW Indiana.
    Read every word from you and from your brilliant commenters. Jerry, I have used the adjective ‘nefarious’ to describe the Vatican II men of the cloth and their grievous heretical theology. Now I have a noun with which to excoriate them and their misguided followers since nineteen hundred and fifty-eight.
    “Hold on tight Cardinal fans, BobLee is in the building. Be prepared for a real treat. “BL may live in his home state of North Carolina, but he has a degree from Mizzou as does his better half. Blondie is St Louis born and raised in the Cape. She graduated from J-school at Columbia and is one sharp cookie. They met in KC, being introduced by another sharp cookie from the Cape.
    They have a beautiful daughter who also became a loyal daughter of Mizzou also graduating from the J-school.
    Same daughter met her true love while receiving a religious institution in—yep, St. Louis. They were wed at Memorial Presbyterian over on Skinker.
    BobLee is a good man and good friend of many years now. He loves to receive comments regarding his blogs. Let him hear from me I love the Cards, but also the Brooklyn Dodgers and the true Yankees. Baseball lost me when the Dodgers and Giants left The City and the Braves left Milwaukee.””

Oh My… Coach, what am I gonna do with you? Now I’ll have to be factual accurate instead of just shooting from the hip in my columns… Knowing that you know everyone worth knowing in those areas, our Redbird Rants will be seeing a major view spike. 🙂

• Former96Heel Reply

Congrats on the new gig, I will be sure to check it out. Personally, I do enjoy this change of pace article. The normal cast of characters in the Triangle will provide plenty of fodder forever more, no need to dredge them up when it’s not necessary. You had me forever when I read the PDEW article the first time. I’m afraid to show my wife, as I’m not sure how she will take having a new acronym. Beyond the Carolina’s though, the only places I have traveled that even come close are some select fly-over places. I’ve not spent considerable time in MO, but if Kansas and SD are any barometer, I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

The growth of this site community has been such that 25% of folks have NEVER heard about PDEWs. That has to be corrected… and soon. I shall rerun it very soon. 🙂

• WolfPack00 Reply

Difference in Ted Drewes and Goodberries.

Concrete v. Carolina Concrete.

I still betcha there are a dozen other “OUR concrete is the Original one” across America… which is just fine. Not unlike college fight songs. There are only give/take five “tunes” and each school put their own words to’em. Except “you guys” who stole yours from the US Army Artillery Corps of course.

WHOA NELLY…
        Them be Figthin’ words…..and the melee here could make the Texas Legislature Battle Royal look like a kindergarten outburst….
        2/9/1940
        New fight song
        Fred Waring, prominent national band leader, agrees to write a new fight song for NC State, and to air it during his March 8, 1940 radio program.
        SO, we did NOT steal it. Fred Waring did. Now HOW much did we pay him or what were the circumstances…..more well guarded than Obama’s back door connections to Putin and the Ruskies….
        There is absolutely NO history on the UNC Fight song….other than it “Appeared” in the 1907 Year Book “Yackety Yack”. No word on whether Boots Randolph stole part of the name for his hit “Yackety Sax”. BTW, Boots and another individual originally wrote the song for a chewing gum company’s promo and they cancelled or did not pay or renew. Boots recorded it and it was not popular until he sort of Re-Released it…The above comes from his adlibbing at a concert, circa 1967, in the Downtown Memorial Auditorium. NOW YOU KNOW….

• MaHa Reply

As the Great One says “Don’t doubt me on this” I told you he couldn’t stay away. Im actually surprised he lasted this long. Guess I’ll have to get some more anti gas pills. MAHA.

BK is harmless MaHa. By letting him hang out here I’m doing a favor for Chanc Randy and Bobby Purcell by keeping him out of their hair.
      If I ever think BK is actually being a nuisance I WILL pull the plug. Count on that my friend. I have folks all the time complaining about Facebook “Friends” that annoy them in assorted ways. I say UNFRIEND THE SOBs. The jackass do not get a notice you “unfriended” them you simply do not see their crap any more… You don’t have that option with BK, I do. But God invented the Scroll Bar for a reason. Just scroll right over him. NCSU’68 knows folks do that with his War&Peace opuses all the time He’s cool with it… I think. 🙂

• Jerri.76 Reply

BobLee, I suspect most of my fellow BobLee addicts prefer when you are roasting Roy or giving wedgies to all the various nefarians that abound among us. I enjoy those too. But I really enjoyed this one (this type?) too. I’m sure you won’t get 10,000 views on this because not everyone will “get it”. I think I “got it” and I really enjoyed it. … I don’t know much about the Cardinals but I’ll try to keep up with your columns there too. … just saying.
    Not thrilled to see Bob Kennel back but I will simply skip over his comments like I have for several years.

“nefarians that abound among us”…. DAMN JERRI that is A Keeper. Ol’ Mark Twain better keep an eye on you too.
      I like “this type” too but “chumming for board monkey views” pays the bills thru “all those views”. Bashing the assorted “nefarians” is fun too of course. Many readers “won’t get” this one but you and I did. One more than I counted on. Thanks for your comment. 🙂

Folks: I am NOT going anywhere literally or figuratively. I will still be RIGHT HERE (1) jousting with all the same windmills and (2) pummeling all the same dead horses… (3) pointing out all the emperors parading about in no clothes…
    …. when this preliminary smoke clears with this new St. Louis gig, the only change will be my audiobook listening might suffer… from three books/week down to two. Only so many hours in a day even in a Legend’s day. I will be serving two audiences – Here and St Louis – each with their own separate BFDs. St. Louis Cardinals fans don’t care about TGU… and you don’t care about Kolten Wong’s elbow. I’ll care about both. I’m a big boy… I can handle both.
    Ever mindful of the sage advice of George Armstrong Custer on that Montana prairie in June 26, 1876 – “Take no prisoners!”

• Robert Kennel Reply

If the Cards are late-May swoon, why didn’t they call on the Girardeau Guff to come up the river to save the day? (or maybe he’s in a bit of a swoon himself).
    Glad my Dodgers took the first game of the home swoon this afternoon in any case ?
    This RedBird Rant business is going to be a little tough for me because St. Louis has always been my 2nd favorite NL team. In the meantime, Go Dodgers !!

?? Whatever….

BL,
    The afternoon scotches seem to get the creative juices flowing and then the “Connect-A-Dot” thoughts appear. You have a similar affliction for connecting dot or thoughts as Greg Fischel does with his corny word puns. It must be something that one cultivates and crafts….like RAP.
    Ted Drewes…..ah, I know you well. Having visited the archway city a few times recently….with the GK’s as sell as DW, we DID frequent the ORIGINAL one. Driving over from Forest Park, my then 12 YO GS noted how many of the BLM signs there were as we passed though the burbs or maybe the outskirts of Ferguson. I looked for the Burn Out marks that Martin Milner left in his 66 Vette when they filmed a scene there.
    You ARE aware that local legend says that the RDU’s own Goodberry’s is a pirated and royalty free knock off of Ted Drewes. I know not the source or the veracity of such rumors….except to say that the founder of Goodberry’s was a protege of Ted and he pilfered the frozen custard recipe (Bush keeps the secret in a vault….not Ted). He found a southern creamery to blend it….and then got a cutesy NCSU Design Student or perhaps a REAL architect to sketch up the facade and he has cookie cuttered them throughout the area. NOW, if that rumor is incorrect, PLEASE either take down this post or correct it.
    Having traveled many times whilst gainfully employed to St. Louis and the burbs (I moved one HQ from St. Louis to Sanford) I would often sample the ice cream. There are a few “TD Wannabee’s” in the area…like a few drive throughs in Ellisville, MO, a burb.
    Ted Drewes also gets the “best frozen ice cream in St. Louis” recommendation from none other than AD Yow….she recommended it when we went to the Sweet 16 there circa 2011….with some new and dashing coach who used to be an ESPN OAT. Anybody seen him….me is more scarce these days than Kennel…howsomever, his umble abode is NOT on the market….so maybe he is staying in the area.
    All roads, they say, lead to Ted and Route 66….just not late at night or in the early AM….if you get my drift. Has your buddy, Holden, developed the TD habit….?

I assume there are “concretes” all over America all claiming the Original.
      I was thinking about Holden today. I need to alert him to my Cardinals gig. He and Patti are Cardinal fans.