Sports Fan-itis: College Fans versus Pro Sports Fans

Sports Fans
June18/ 2017

Sports Fan-itis:  My current sojourn into the wacky world of the pro sports fan (St. Louis Cardinals Nation) has shed new light on a subject I thought I had maxed out in understanding – The Obsessive Addiction of Sports Fan-itis.

Is there a noticeable difference in being a “real fan”(?) of a pro sports team versus being a “real fan” of a major college sports team?

Absolutely I am concluding. Not a qualitative better / worse difference, simply a difference.

If one MUST be one or the other I think I may be leaning towards the “pro” side. There is a 3rd option – “being both” and a 4th option – “not being either”.

As you gather from our recent discussion of sports spectator proclivities or lack of, I am rapidly approaching #4.

I am “a fan” of the sport of Baseball. I manifest that through the daily trials and tribulations of the currently hapless St. Louis Cardinals. It is the elements of “the sport” I enjoy and not the “we won” = happy / “we lost” = sad emotional ying and yang.

As I am seeing it… with “real fans” (define that however you please. It is not intended Cardinal Fansas complimentary) of a professional team the emphasis is on how “my team” of choice (emphasis on the possessive “my”) is doing relative to all the other teams. Is “the team” and therefore vicariously “me” succeeding for all to see.

The impediment to this success is NOT some imaginary “rival” but rather the stumblebums who have the day-to-day stewardship of “my/our team”… i.e. the owner (usually the dreaded “rich old white guy”) and the incompetent yahoos he keeps employing as GM and Coach/Manager and finally the overpaid field hands who’s physical incompetent indifference is so obvious to one and all.

If “rich old white guy” would spend A LOT more of his ill-gotten capitalist plunder for this week’s flavor-of-the-month “phenom” I could call my cuzzin LeRoy in Boston / Chicago / LA / Atlanta / Dallas and razz him.

Dear Mr. DeWitt:

Please give that 18 y/o Cuban kid $50,000,000 so’s I can razz LeRoy.

Sincerely, Crazy Harry in Hannibal

I am currently tied for 4th in our water cooler fantasy league. I have a real talent for evaluating phenoms. I actually know what WHIP and OPS stands for, I think. I have tweeted suggestions but Noooo, all that “rich old white guy” is interested in is adding on more VIP suites. He doesn’t care about winning like us “real fans” do.

There are “hated rivals” as in Cardinals / Cubs… Red Sox/Yankees… Dodgers/Giants but except in rare cases the “they” does not have a name / face. It’s just “those people” who are “all a buncha….”

The villain for the pro fan is the owner / management of his team of choice.  No matter how successful they are, they would be oh so much so IF they took my suggestion… as in:

Dear Coach Belichek:

You should run more Statue of Liberty plays.

Sincerely, Willie In Worcester

Except in Green Bay where the community actually DOES “own the team”… The “it’s really OUR TEAM not yours … and don’t you ever forget it; you evil rich old white guy” is the guiding principle in professional sports fandom.

##

Switching over to Rah Rah Siss Boom Bah Dear Old Alma Mater be she a for-real diplomaed one or a “bought at Wal-Mart” one…

The college version of a General Manager – the AD – is still incompetent of course. He (or the more dreaded “she”) is a hapless dolt. The popularity timeline for an AD is “the first three months” of their hire.

The fan base’s euphoria in getting rid of the incompetent predecessor is a wave that an incoming AD can ride for about 90 days. It’s downhill from that point. For a “new coach” that popularity wave is his first 2-3 games… or in some extreme cases “his first 3 & out” in early September.

Pure and simple… in major college sports it is ALL about “hated rivals”. The current players (on our team) are ALL  College fansincredibly outstanding young men even the ones with “prison tatts” and 2 or 3 kids by 2/3 baby mammas.

The rules are simple – (1) Don’t get arrested in-season; and (2) Don’t even think about hooking up with MY DAUGHTER… (3) Reread #2.

Every college sports fan has “hated rivals” as many as 3-4 in some cases but one is always more hateable than the rest.   The intensity comes when fans of that/those hated rivals live in your cul-de-sac… work in the adjoining cubicle… or marry your sister.

Every “sports fan” agrees that referees / umpires are crooked and incompetent. Any/all such authority figures are. But for college sports fans those crooked incompetents are in league / cahoots with “the hated rival” in various subterfugic (?) fashion.

In a strange Kubuki dance, fans of college teams within a specific conference unite in a “pride” that our game officials are more crooked / incompetent than any other conferences’. One does not see that on sports leagues… “MLB umpires are more stoopid tha NFL referees” ??

That is the equivalent of displaying a bumpersticker Proud Parents of a son who flunked out of NC State AND Wake Tech. Why would anyone do that?

Regardless of how much crime, economic malaise, governmental corruption, traffic gridlock, and assorted unsolvable socio-plagues infest a city / metro area… if their pro sports team wins a World Series, Super Bowl, Stanley Cup etc they get to enjoy a street riot and hold up foam fingers declaring they are #1.

The next day they go back to complaining about all the muck and mire of living in any “major city” especially theirs.

If your college sports team of choice simply beats the team of “the hated rival” regardless of how narrowly or controversially (it is ALWAYS controversially) then you get to blare out your “fight song” so its heard three blocks over… display an obnoxiously large flag… and send a snarky email to all the “hated rival” jackasses you know with some pithy insult… and/or insulting .gif.

Three days later you go back to worrying what if “we” lose to “that buncha _____ next year”?

CONCLUSION: If your pro team “misses the playoffs” (NOOOO!) you are in a funk for 48 hours. Otherwise no real personal consequences.

If your college team loses to your “hated rival” (NOOOO!) you spend the next twelve months “in a living hell” avoiding all those arrogant obnoxious sumbitches / farm boys / frat boys.

Oh Oh …. and there is this… pretty much any college coed is better “eye candy” than “a 50 year old 250 lb Green Bay Frau with a mustache waving a Marry Me Aaron Rogers sign”.

##

GOTTA Share this: I submitted a Cardinals column this AM about “nutjob fans” … my all-time favorite punching bag – “board monkeys”. With RedbirdRants I do have “an Editor”.  A “good guy” in Memphis. We’ll see how that works out.

So he texts me with “a concern” about my last paragraph. He suggests either an Editors Note or that I revise it. Here is the original text with his Editors Note. Without intending to… he amped up the YEEE HAA Factor by at least 20%.

Do you want to be a twittering whack-a-doodle? Easy. (1) Press CAPSLOCK… (2) pour some lighter fluid on your head… (3) fire up a blow torch; and… (4) VOILA. <Editor’s note: do not try this at home; RedbirdRants is not responsible for your individual actions.> You too can be “a real fan” who “isn’t going to take this anymore.” May God have mercy on your tortured soul.

Here’s the Final Version.. LINK

LIFE IS GOOD!… say good night, Gracie.

BLB logo

CHECK IT OUT …. LINK

• 70sTarheel Reply

Good to hear that the Cards didn’t bow to demands from “activists” to cancel “Christian Day.” Rare but encouraging display of support for heartland values.

I’m not sure how that will turn-out. Owner Bill DeWitt IS a Conservative and Repub contributor but not outspoken. The LGBT Gender Terrorists are ruthless and will come at him HARD. He weathered the Ferguson storm pretty well and does have a Law Enforcement Day at the stadium. … we shall see.

• TheCowdog Reply

So how did Pierce sneak into this one?

I’ll need ’68’s Navajo Codebreaker on this one too.

• TheCowdog Reply

No…you don’t…😎

Then there are the Anybody But._____ Fans which are closely related to certain fans who, when their team is eliminated, or don’t qualify for tournaments, deem it necessary to proclaim allegiance to a conference. This latter strain of humans seem especially pathetic to me.

I still remember an interview between Woody & Dean in the early 70’s. The sports world (Big 4 media) were all buzzing because the ACC had 4 MBB teams in the Top Ten in the polls. Woody asked DES if he was proud of the ACC’s prominence. Dean deadpanned that “he could care less about any team in the ACC other than UNC.” Woody stood there, mouth gaped wide open, at the unexpected?? response.

On occasion, if one looked closely, you could see Dean’s hand up the back of Woody’s sport coat manipulating Woody’s mouth. Dean got so good at it he could drink a glass of sweet tea and whistle while Woody was reciting the hometowns of every player Dean ever had… and how many Eagle Scout merit badges each had earned.

• Former96heel Reply

An editor concerned with inspiring self-immolation? Who woulda thunk it?
    I work in earshot of two younger Cowboy fans. Nothing elicits the thought of setting yourself on fire more than having to listen to millennials argue that Tony Romo was the second best QB in the league through his career, and was hands-down the best the team has ever had. I am quite convinced pro fans are just as loony as college. All you can do is shake your head and hope they someday focus that attention on their families, or at least a productive hobby.

Were they elevating Tony above Payton or Brady or Rogers or Brees? The lunacy of “real fans” either pro or college is a universal absolute. At whom they direct their lunacy is the deciding factor. … hard to really really HATE the Redskins or Eagles fans from 1/2 a country away. Not the same as a TruBlue or Wuffie living next door.
      That “my editor” truly feared that some of our readers might actually set their hair on fire given my simple “how to” showed his clear understanding of our audience. …. but they can Vote & Breed … Aaaiiieeee.

• TarSpartan Reply

After living in San Antonio for 14 years I can testify that Cowboys fans are a whole different level. Every time they win a game, the fans think the Super Bowl is in reach. Every time they lose, it’s time to fire the QB/Coach/Owner/Waterboy/whatever.

BUT… They never mess with Kelly the DCC Cheerleaders Manager. They know better.

Let’s see if I get this right. You are a contributor or a columnist for a Red Birds (Cardinals….not associated with the UK BLUE variety) that reside in Arch City (is it finished yet?).
    Your editor or “approval to post” person (assuming it is NOT AI) is a resident of Memphis. Has HE (She/T) been to the TOP of the pyramid known as Bass Pro Shop?
    You both are supporters of the St. Louis Cardinals, who’s fan base supposedly is there and Busch Stadium is their home. When I was with a certain Carburetor Company, the OLD BP was near our downtown factory and we had security guards patrolling for the “tossed out the 3rd floor window” AFB’s that every hot rodder wanted. It took a fielder worthy of playing for the Cards to catch one and then shag it over the fence…
    Along those same lines to properly depict the environment, the “Lollipops” aptly named Ladies of the evening, would also service the guys going to the games in our parking lot and there was lawn seat or festival viewing in the bathrooms on the 3rd floor. There was a collection of binoculars hanging on a rack above the urinals. One can NOT possibly write such without having real life as an example. This DID happen…
    SO, your editor has “jazzed up” your clicking to get more clicks and comments from those that think your offerings are too radical as well as those who think they are too tepid. EITHER WAY….clicks and comments pay the bills.
    As I was reading, a song buzzed through my brain…..it was “Be True to Your School” by the Beach Boys. It was very popular in 1963/64 and we, at WKNC, got many requests (OK, there was one guy in Owen that LOVED it and he was next to the phone booth)…
    The lyrics were the “All American Boy” image of a HS fan or an athlete, for that matter. Whatever happened to the innocent blonde athletes that the Beach Boys wrote about. Did they just ride their surfboards to the west and hope that they made Hana?

Huh?? All my Navajo code breakers are off the weekend. No clue about any of this…

• Suzie.Elon Reply

It is ALWAYS the “rich old white guy”… why is that?

Until ROWG dies… then it’s ROWG’s widow and she can be a real beeotch! Or children of ROWG have a prolonged family feud over who gets the team and who gets the condo in Cabo.
      ROWGs buy sports teams because, like a dog licking himself … THEY CAN.

• Charlie.84 Reply

Loved it!! Question… when you write a column like this do any readers see you describing them?

Absolutely not… and thats the funest part of all this. They see a perfect description of so many people they know, but NEVER themselves. All the people they know, of course, see them along with everyone else they know. It is like a multi-level marketing scam. Eventually you run out of “everybody else”.
      DO NOT tell anyone we discussed this. It’s our little secret,OK?

• MaryLynn.in.Gsbo Reply

Careful there, BobLee. Of all people, don’t start sounding “jaded” about loyalties. I guess it would be expected if, I were your age and grew up on UNC basketball as my primary loyalty. As for me, I grew up on UNC football lloyalty,which you had to take it or leave it, it was or it wasn’t deserved. We just relished each and every win, and hoped for the best, knowing UNC was never going to be a football giant, in any sense of the word. Oh they tried for sure. Hiring first one great coach and then another, but the dynamic just was never there. It didn’t stop me from going to all those home games and a few away ones. I admit and know it is just not the same now – people expect a winning team when they pour all their money into pricey tickets, etc. All I can say is, “Get a life”! Enjoy it for what it is, and leave all that emotion at the field/court. Enough. ML

And to fantasize about “Sweet Jim” Lalanne….
      MaryLynn dear… counting YOU there is ONE UNCer and that has figured that out. And it only took you 80 years.