Monkeys Here Monkeys There…Monkeys Everywhere!

Mad Monkeys
June27/ 2017

I went in knowing it was a long shot. My eyes were wide open. But these were/are “The Best Fans in Baseball”. I know that because everyone of’em you meet tells you that.

Busch Stadium fansHi, my name is Ed. I’m from St. Louis. We are The Best Fans in Baseball (BFiB). Does the Uptown bus stop here?

Cardinals fans are Major League Baseball’s version of UNCCH’s TruBlues telling The World “we are a sleeping giant”. The World, of course, includes 86 other fan bases claiming they are “a sleeping giant too”. Who knew “a sleeping giant” was such an enviable thing to be?

Actually “Ed” and his fellow BFiB do have a legitimate claim to that title.

Yesterday (Monday) 45,000+ “BFiB” filled Busch Stadium III (there were two previous Busch Stadiums) for a make-up game with the lowly Redlegs from Cincinnati. It was… on a Monday… at 3:00 PM… in “iffy” weather.

The only visiting Redleg of note is Joey Votto. Neither Blondie nor your Aunt Harriett has ever heard of Joey Votto. Joey is VERY good regardless. Joey visits St. Louis 9-10 times a year as an NL Central rival. “Seeing Joey Votto” is not a “gotta go” incentive for those 45,000.

Both the Cardinals and the “lowly Redlegs” are having not-really-good seasons so far. Neither project to be playing in October… but “hope springs eternal from within the human breast”.

And 45,000+ were on-hand.

Alas, while those 45,000+ were enjoying the myriad of reasons for “going to a ballgame”, there was a parallel universe of… I hate to have to say this… a parallel universe of BOARD MONKEYS out there in Cardinals’ Nation.

Mad MonkeyYes indeed my friends.

Even among The Best Fans in Baseball…

Board Monkeys  flourish.

They are indeed EVERYWHERE!!

There is no mention of John Swofford… or Rick Barnes… or Karl Hess… or Damn Dan Kane… or “one pair of sneakers”… or “Jan Boxil – the most ethical woman I’ve ever known”.

The Board Monkeys of Cardinals Nation have their own Rogues Gallery of curs, scallywags and rascals who are at the epicenter of all of The Universe’s evil.

As I noted in that recent column about Pro Fans versus College Fans; to a pro sports fan the onus is forever and always upon The Owner – The General Manager – The Manager – The Players.  In that descending order.

Once they are down to cussin’ and making negative assertions about players’ mammas you know they have already skinned alive the previous three.

99.9% of Cardinals’ Nation is of the Caucasian Persuasion. The Ferguson Chapter of Cardinals Nation meets in an abandoned Radio Shack next to the Hands Up Don’t Shoot Memorial.

Keep that in mind in analyzing the board monkeys wrath at Bill DeWitt the team’s owner the past 25 years. Despite the team’s unparalleled on-field success over that quarter century, Bill DeWitt is “a rich old white man”… UH OH.

Whether the monkeys viral dislike of Mr. DeWitt is his being rich – old – or white is unclear but the combination is not in his favor.  Oh… and DeWitt is “a Christian” and a Trump contributor… Well Hell’s Bells that explains everything.

Mr. Cardinal Stan Musial was a rich old white man too; but Stan is dead now and Stan was The Man.

The Cardinals Nation monkey clan is a sad and depressing a bunch as every other bunch of board monkeys in the world of sports… college and pro.

Their team’s on-field fortunes fail to compensate for the monkeys real lives being as hopeless as the career of the Director of Ferguson’s Chamber of Commerce.

Even when the team wins, the monkeys’ lives are woeful. When the team struggles, as they are lately, their lives’ woefullness becomes unbearable.

I explain all of this in a Redbord Rants column posted earlier today – LINK.

All of the above to inform you that…

There is a brand new page for you to enjoy here every day”

BL on Baseball

The incredible stuff I am creating for Redbird Rants is, alas, casting pearls before swine. I need to be sure it gets to functioning humans.  If you know of any, please forward this to them.

BL on Baseball includes everything I have ever written about Baseball over 20 tears… including “God Loves Beavers Too” and “… Harper Cooper” as well as current Cardinals-related stuff. There are over 40 columns over there now waiting for you.

The Cardinals stuff is NOT just Cardinals stuff. As with all my stuff… it is multi-layered philosophical gold. Substitute the Cardinals names to anything you relate to… be it sports or beyond.

Feel free to comment on old columns or the newer ones.

There are 23 Cardinals columns posted. Of those “Miss Moneypenny” …. “Managing is hard… and “Blowing out a flare” are primo.

The title It was Deja Freese all over again may be as awesome a column title as I’ve EVER created.

I was simply a vessel hitting keyboard keys. The inspiration was ethereal.

BL on Baseball is always accessible by that header up yonder on the right. “That header” is that thing that says BL on Baseball.  This thing…

BL on BaseballLINK

• TarSpartan Reply

It’s hard to call a franchise with more WS wins than any other not named “Yankees” a sleeping giant, even if the championship well has been dry since Albert moved west. Otherwise, I agree that Cardinal fans are great. Heck, I think in general Midwest baseball fans are better than the rest of the country. How else can you explain the high Cubs attendance for all these years. Heck, even the High A Lansing Lugnuts drew 11,000 on a Friday night when I lived there 20 years ago, in a metro area of 400,000. Contrast that with the AA San Antonio Missions (yes, the seventh-largest city in the country only has AA baseball) who barely average 4,000 a night. The old Fayetteville Generals were lucky to get 1,500 in a metro area of 200,000 when I was a kid.

There you go… applying logic to twitter monkey rantings. The true fans who earned St. Louis their reputation over 50+ years are not the human hairballs on “the fan sites”.
      I want to agree with your assessment of Midwestern values / baseball loyalty and I think the is especially true “in the hinterlands”. Maybe not so much in the metro areas themselves. St Louis’ Cardinals Nation encompasses the 50,000 watt reach of KMOX up/down The Big River “from Memphis to Moline”.

• CNR Reply

Excellent observation. Check the attendance through the years of the Indianapolis, Louisville, Dayton, Columbus, and Lexington franchises. Most years three or more are well over 1,000,000. Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Toronto, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Cincinnati have all led the majors in attendance going back through history.

I don’t recognize today’s fans. Best I have been around other than Card fans are those listed above through the years. The best? Brooklyn Dodgers and Milwaukee Braves fans. Reds fans are not too different than Cardinals fans.

Baseball lost my heart when the Dodgers left Brooklyn. It lost my mind when the Braves left Milwaukee.

Before I leave this orb may I watch batting practice, fungoes, infield practice, and Pistol Pete, Country, , Post, or Clemente rifling the ball to second, third, and home plate after infield practice. A day at the ball park was a day in heaven all day long from gate opening to gate closing. Cardinal Way my fanny. Mr. Rickey is turning over in his grave. Cardinal Tradition is what it was called for many years. It was the right way to play the game.

Every player wanted to play at least one year with the Cardinals, Dodgers, Yankees. Also with the Cubs to spend each home game evening with their family.

Those days are gone and will never return. Can you imagine if today’s talent…

Thank goodness for those Yankee teams of Joe Torre and Don Zimmer with the captain at SS.

• Former96heel Reply

As a Twins fan growing up in NC, I am wondering if the GFiB are still cursing Lee Weyer for the botched call on Tommy Herr in game 7 1987?

The Denkinger call in Game Six vs the Royals sort of surpassed that in enormity. Baseball is full of such life-altering moments, which, IMO, is part of the fascination of The Game. … The Twins have emerged as a Surprise Team this year. Only a season removed from ignominity under Paul Molitor. Meanwhile Three-time WS Champion Bruce Bochy’s Giants have the 2nd worst record on MLB. What have you done for me lately ???

• BR Reply

“The Ferguson Chapter…” is a classic. Is that the same Radio Shack that was looted when it was actually a Radio Shack? How appropriate.

So I it takes a very very not PC zinger to get you commenting, huh? I’ll remember that. 😎

That Radio Shack line was priceless. Having toured around Ferguson and Forest Park in 2015, I can tell you that is NOT a place you want to be after the sun sets. But, it does have it’s “ambiance”. The pinhead from Little Rock ought to go over and start attacking.
        Also, recently needing some simple “inline” phone connectors to connect two phone cords together and starting to run over the Crossroads to pick them up…I Googled RS – Crossroads. OPPS, the closest was in Fuquay Varina (that is NOT a variety of Polish Sausage for the Cards fans) or in Sanford. None, I think, in Raleigh. RS is gone and all the techie geeks are down and out.
        NOW, a bit of whimsical history. When Jimmy Goodmon was a newly minted Duke Engineer and wanted to impress his granddaddy AJ by programming a paper tape machine to eliminate (outsource?) the underpaid NCSU and UNC (Radio/TV) workers who ran Master Control, he failed to synchronize the switching computer and the paper tape reader after each transaction (Ask you website geek to explain).
        Bottom line, the system blew up the electronics at the station and shut it down for several hours. Folks were dispatched to every electronics parts store in Raleigh. Southeastern was the largest and there were at least 25 Radio/TV shops. The electronic glitch or perhaps Tsunami, blew every glass buss fuse in the joint.
        Now days, if Jimmy V tries such, there will be NO Radio Shacks to go to…hope that Amazon Prime is well stocked. Oh that such would happen….

Actually the Ferguson / Radio Shack line was a set-up for the “Director of Ferguson Chamber of Commerce” line a bit later. The Fall of Radio Shack had to have an economic effect in Ft Worth where Tandy Co was HQed.

• CNR Reply

“68” I was raised by my really rich relatives at Portland Place on the north side of FP and by my baseball relatives in Dogtown on the south side of FP. The West End was the River Oaks and the Park Cities of St. Louis. Six months of the year I was raised by my family in North St. Louis near Fairgrounds Park across from Beaumont HS.

I took my Judy to all of my ball diamonds and Parish Churches of my past. When we left Portland Place I took her a couple of blocks north of Delmar to show her the home of the author of the short story that became the Judy Garland movie of St. Louis. the time was around noon of a beautiful August day. As I turned onto the street just past the Smith home (a duplex) nothing like the one from the movie, there must have been at least twenty savory looking young men up to thirty years of age sitting on autos which were parked on the street and lawns w/o tires, wheels and some sans windshields. I promptly shifted to reverse out of there.

Didn’t attempt to make it all of the way out Taylor to the Reiser home as that was akin to driving through…Promptly drove out to Ladue Road to show her where I lived with the younger family kin who were raised on Portland Place and to visit an old friend. That is where we had our get-togethers during our visits.

Fergie was so far north that there was no problem. Fergie, Normandy, and the suburbs out that way did not change until recent decades. Those rioters were not natives but were bussed in. Good people of every color out there.

It is so depressing that I have not been back except for friends and relatives funerals.

• WolfPack00 Reply

Not my Monkeys, Not my Circus!

AS my Duke buddy says about Laettner… “Yeah, he was an SOB, but he was OUR SOB.”
      Hard enough to deal with “your’n” without worrying about “their’n”. 🙂

• BR Reply

Actually I just chuckle and don’t comment at your on-the-mark zingers, but maybe I’ll turn over a new page and comment more. Thank heavens for spell check when I go public with my writing.

Our mutual friend Mr Carroll is a frequent commenter. I’ll give him your regards. 🙂

I am most unqualified to opine much on the subject of MLB. But at least I know it and don’t pretend. I’ve “read” most of the RR columns, although I might be guilty of skimming through or going directly to the comments first because the 2017 Cardinals season looks like a slow motion train wreck in 4K-HD. Be patient. Sooner or later more crazies will hit the GO button, just because dumbassery always rears up where trouble is. IMO you couldn’t have picked a better season to join Redbird Rants. It’s looking like a perfect storm of mayhem & chaos to me. You’re a lucky guy. Ironic though for one who claims to disdain board monkeyish behavior. Be careful of what you ask for. 😉 There are plenty of Jay’s out yonder.

For whatever reason, the Cardinals monkey faction is NOT commenting on my columns on RR. There was one RSS – “Rather Scary Sumbitch” who dropped in last week but he crawled back to whatever rock he slithered from. Only ranked in 2nd Ten of “worst I’ve encountered”. I guessed I coulda figure a website titled Redbird Rants “might” attract the angry element. Most of my fellow contributors are sorta kinda scary too. LOTs of anger in’em.

Is the Redbird Rant demographic more different than the average venom spewing yahoo that takes Twitter bites in 140 or fewer characters? Most good columnists like you obviously seem to take some time to frame arguments and or thoughts into a coherent message. Tweeters seem to shoot from the hip. Fire-Ready-Aim. Either that or you just ain’t pissing them off enough. 🔥😎

They are all the same… out of the same playbook. Despise all authority / management figures AD/GM… Owners… Head Coach/Manager. And conspiracy theories out of their very constipated kazoos. The success of their team of choice is their only hope for SOMETHING in their life going right. If “team” dares to lose… there is nothing left. Very scary…..

• Doug

So is the RR column over. I’ve checked a few times recently and not seeing anything new.

It is indeed over. I can do much better with my own Baseball page to my own audience.