My pal JDanWuff… “a Good’un”

July21/ 2017

My pal “JDanWuff”…. “A Good’un”

I’m an early-riser, usually up & at’em by 5:15 or so. Have my cuppa Twinings Black English Breakfast Tea. Take Blondie her cuppa coffee (some weird Ethiopian blend??) at 6:00 AM.

Then I decide which of so many windmills I will joust with this day. There is never a shortage of windmills to joust.

I could get discouraged that there are “so many windmills” needing to feel the cold steel of my cyber lance.  I take heart in how many more there would be had I not laid waste half a dozen the day before…

This Friday morning was different. I woke at 3:45. No special anxiety. Sure, our society is one day closer to doing a Thelma & Louise but that’s been the case for Thelma Louisemore than a few years now.

Whether yours truly or “society” dives headlong into the abyss first is The Question.

I checked to see if “the Dimple column” or AP’s piece on Barry Saunders had stirred up any “trouble”.  Nothing I can’t handle. No need to up the security alert level.

I checked Facebook.  There was a short message from “Hokie Jim” up in Danville VA. It mentioned Dan McCollum. There was an assumption that I knew more than I did.  It didn’t take me long to connect the dots.

Dan McCollum a.k.a “JDanWuff” had lost his fight with cancer. Within the past several weeks. A fight JDan has fought for 4-5 years.

I still don’t know the details.  I know this strange little community we have here of BobLee Buddies & Babes has “lost a good’un”.

I don’t know the current actuary tables concerning Life Expectancy.  At what point are we “playing with house money”.

When our time comes will anyone say “But, he/she was so young…”

If “the good die young” are we still “good”?  I’d like to think so.

After almost 20 years, this hardy band of wayfaring pilgrims is decidedly Baby Boomer-centric. Most of you know what “a Hoss Cartwright hat” looks like. You know what “a Eddie Haskell type” is. I don’t give subtitles. I just assume you know. “JDanWuff” knew…

Dan McCollum was a loyal but very rational NCSU alum and fan. He was an engineer who designed water/sewer plants. He had all the jokes that anyone “in the sewage bizness” learns early on. Yes… it flows downhill and if it backs up… you know it.

He was active in the local Civil Air Patrol. Piloting his small plane in search/rescue missions.

He loved his family A LOT. Supposedly we all do but you can tell the ones who REALLY DO.

JDanWuff REALLY DID.

Yes, JDan and I share a political persuasion. The company he worked for would occasionally hire a few self-righeous millennial nutjobs. We would discuss the possible ramifications of him hitting them in the face with a shovel.

It was our mutual loathing of board monkeys that brought us together 15+ yeas ago.

How many of you remember F-Bomb Alley @ Carter-Finley?

That was waaay back when Chuck The Chest was the messiah du jour that was going to lead WuffNation to gridiron glory.  Who can forget MaryAnne Fox promising a National Championhip?

Anyhoo… there was a section of the Carter-Finley / Trinity Road parking lot on the Fairgrounds side that somehow accumulated the lowest lifeforms in WuffNation. Talk about sewage running downhill.

Most were NOT NCSUers; but simply local human hairballs looking for trouble.

Two marines were KILLED in F-Bomb Alley. So named because any visiting rival fans innocently walking thru that area were literally putting their safety, if not their lives, at risk. The obscenity insults were the least of the danger.

“JDan” and I hooked up with Hokie Jim and his VaTech Clubhouse Tailgaters about 15 years ago and took on F-Bomb Alley. One of Jim’s buddies – “Ivan”- was rumoredOK Corral to be a former Russian SpecOps commando. … We strode thru F-Bomb Alley like the Earp Brothers headed to the OK Corral. The lowlife punks and their skanky girlfriends parted like the Red Sea for Moses.

I recall “JDan” driving up in his vintage T-Bird. Whenever I would see Hokie Jim’s gang at Kenan, they always asked about Dan.

“JDan” was a regular commenter here for many years, until his health priorities demanded the use of his time.  I knew he was out there.

We’ve all known friends who have “gone thru chemo”. JDan was a battler. He fought his fight courageously and with good humor.

I had not heard from him in 3-4 months. Thinking / hoping “remission” would mean he had won the battle. He didn’t.

JDanWuff is not the first BobLee Buddy we have lost here. He won’t be the last.

Dan told me on many occasions over the years how much he enjoyed “whatever it is we do here”.

I guess that’s why I never consider not doing it…

J Dan McCollum was “A Good’un”.

• ultraviolet Reply

It’s interesting how you develop a connection with this community, though I am an infrequenter, I recognize the commenters and read generally all of them. It touches you to read of one’s passing even though I’d never know them personally, I know there’s a family grieving right now. Thanks for noting and remembering him.

With JDanWuff I did actually meet him in person several times; but for 95% of you, it is simply a cyber-space relationship. That’s OK too.

• Bob Kennel Reply

Darn, people being nice on the internet. Maybe that will go viral.
    Didn’t know JDan by anonymous name. Enjoyed his comments.
    No comment because I’ve been in Indianapolis for a week with our Disciples’ of Christ General Assembly.
    Today attended funeral for Tom Miller who died after fighting cancer for the last 8 months of cancer. He was baseball’s unofficial photogralpher and a big Wolfpack fan all around.

I wish people would stop dying of cancer.

Don’t know if I can get the thought out properly but help is appreciated from anyone. Losing a dear friend is more than losing the person. You keep the experience and memories but somehow lose the future wisdom the person could have provided when it was needed the most.

• ultraviolet Reply

Doug I’ll say one thing about friends. You don’t get to pick your family, for whom the ties run so deep. But, you get to pick your friends and that makes the bond different and quite often better than family, thus the deeper grief you can feel.

I vouch for that. About a dozen years ago I had a MAJOR schism with several Aunts / Cousins. To quote Blondie – “We sawed that limb off our family tree”.
        To this day it has never bothered me in the least.
        However, time, distance and circumstances have caused me to lose touch with various friends made along Lines Way. I really do miss those guys… sigh.

• CNR Reply

I always worry when there is no comment from the people who have posted succinct and /or erudite comments. Troublesome thoughts enter my thinking process as to what has happened. JDanWuff was one of those along with Thailand and BK.
    Cowdog and I are close because of my relationship many years ago with his father, an amazing coach, who had a positive influence on my decision to leave college coaching and the darkness that was beginning to ignore the academic for trash.
    My mentors are all gone now. I know without a shadow of a doubt where they are. Without a shadow of a doubt I know that we shall meet again. The comments from Dan McCollum tell me that he is heading for the eternal place.
    This is a good time to let you all know how much I look forward to your comments. BL giggles when I tell him that I have no problem following and understanding everything “68” sends. He became a good guy to me when he mentions spending time with his sons now that they are men. The first time he reached my heart was some years ago when he mentioned (hope my memory isn’t deceiving me) that his son had been admitted to Georgia Tech. Now that is an achievement!
    I miss BK. The man has accomplished much in his life. A difference of opinion regarding politics? He majored in Engineering, I majored on Soviet Affairs from which I understood their mantra of Infiltrate, Indoctrinate, Dominate, Eliminate, Exterminate. Perhaps if I had studied engineering while he had studied SA, we would trade political views. We are now at the extermination stage.
    Doug, I have saved many items that answer many of your comments. The same with many others. I think and think and think. When ready to hit the send button on BL Says, there is another commentary by BL. Thus,“Save” in documents.
    Albert, I love your book.
    I love all you guys. During my homebound days which have turned into years, you give me much to ponder.
    God Bless You.

God has blessed you sir and may He continue to do so. I’m blessed when I read your comments and surely others feel the same. God surely has something to do with that also.

• Former96heel Reply

The whatever it is we do here has in the past week:
    -Made me put Porgy and Bess on my watch list
    -Made me howl at a twitter comment about your guv looking like an Asst Mgr at Dollar General in Benson
    -Made me understand that our town isn’t alone whatsoever in the local paper being one step away from placing the rag under your windshield wipers while we are in church. Winston already has homeless folks selling them at stop signs. If I’m giving money away, don’t litter my life with that rag!
    That’s almost a full week to me.

Godspeed JDanwuff, and continue the windmill assault BobLee

It certainly has been a full week. Ya wake up on Monday morning and never know what’s ahead.
      I’ve been using that line “Roy Cooper looks like an Asst Mgr at The Dollar Store in Benson” going back to the campaign. Another zinger… “Cooper and McCrory had a charisma contest and both lost.” I used that on a radio show a few months ago. PatMc called to ask me “what is charisma?” True story. … and then there is “Dimple”.

• Cyndy Otto Reply

Dan was my uncle, and a his blood was Wolfpack Red until the very end! GO PACK! One thing cancer could never take away was his sense of humor and fighting spirit. He fought the good fight until the end. Thank you for a wonderful tribute to a very special man.

You are very welcome, Cyndy.

Sorry to hear of JDWuff passing. Maybe he is having some pasta at Vavano’s….the best pasta place in Heaven. Even God has to make a reservation. No idea if the Dean eats there….maybe he and JD can solve TGU.

Thanks for updating us.

Not sure too many would figure Dean and V “went” in the same direction. That one, like so many, issues likely breaks down along partisan lines.

• MCinGoldsboro Reply

NIce tribute to JDanWuff. I didn’t know him, but I always enjoyed reading his comments. I too enjoy “whatever it is we do here”. Keep up the good work.

Like I said… never considered not “doing this”. Who will SAVE WESTERN CIVILIZATION if not US? 🙂

• unctarheel1984 Reply

“Your lost friends are not dead, but gone before; advanced a stage or two upon that road which you must travel in the steps they trod.”
    — Aristophanes

• ultraviolet Reply

From a pamphlet in my mother’s hospice room years ago, a paraphrase.
      “They are not gone. They are like a ship just beyond the horizon. They are only gone from our sight.”

• DB.UNC Reply

Nice column on JDanWuff. I never met him. He sounds like a real character with a good sense of humor.
    I know his friends, especially those in Wuff Nation, will miss him. Some of us in Tar Hole Nation will miss his endless opining as well.

Dan was NOT a Fat Cat at all. He was a member of WPC but just a regular guy… a loyal alum / fan. He pulled for The Pack but had no illusions, as some do, that they were “holier than thou” in the dirty business of Big Time College FB/BB. He never needed me to remind him of that. 🙂

• Charlotte Wuffie Reply

So sad to to learn about JDanWuff. He will be missed. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

• Tedensky Reply

Losing good friends is hard to take! I too have lost more than my fair share! It comes with the territory — aging!

At 90 my mom remarked that she had purchased a simple black dress (a funeral dress) 25 years earlier… “If I had known I was going get so much use from it (attending funerals), I would have bought a better dress…”