Trainwrecks at UNCCH and MIZZOU… Am I “Alumni Zero”?

Trainwreck
August30/ 2017

Am I Alumni Zero?… Trainwrecks at UNCCH versus MIZZOU

Two prominent state public universities have endured (are enduring) very high-profile “institutional trainwrecks” over the past five years – UNCCH of course and Univ of Missouri (i.e. MIZZOU… pronounced “Ms-Zoo”).

Yours truly matriculated at these two prominent public universities. Begging the question:

Am I “Alumni Zero”. Am I “the common factor” that infected both once-proud institutions… leading to their current plights?

Until forensic historians can complete their analysis of both institutional trainwrecks, I am a person-of-interest.

Yet another paragraph in my ever-lengthening eulogy.

…and, of course, who among us here today will ever forget that, thru the sheer dynamic of simply “being there” a few years, BobLee is credited with undermining the foundations of not one, but two, once-proud academic institutions… and, there was his classic response whenever he was approached on that subject – “aw shucks, I just seen my duty and I done it “

I appreciate that some of you reading this live inside a snow globe that only extends about 20 miles in diameter from the intersection of I-40 and Miami Boulevard. While an easily manageable universe it does limit one’s conversational perspective.

Here is a very recent article about “what happened at MIZZOU” two years ago. MIZZOU’s train wreck is, arguably, of even greater overall societal significance than “The Greatest Eligibility Scandal in NCAA History”. Not to belittle our beloved TGU.

MIZZOU’s Epic Institutional Trainwreck. – LINK

NOTE:  Apology that some of this article is behind the WSJ paywall.  But the gist of it is available.

Comparison of “trainwrecks” must begin with comparing the two institutions.

UNCCH is the quintessential “Southern Ivy”… an over-the-top, in-yo-face, bastion of everything repulsive about “a Liberal Arts UNC Old Wellinstitution”. Albeit… in a pretty setting amid lofty pine trees, dogwoods and azaleas.

It was not always so. It was not when we left our respective marks on each other multi-decades ago. It was a LibArts institution then too, of course, but had not over-developed all the repulsive aspects of being one… at the expense of developing truly admirable qualities.

Imagine a body-builder who only does 100s of bicep curls each day for thirty years. While he is proud of his huge arms… he “looks funny” and is “the source of scorn and ridicule” by all who know him.   Feel free to use that incredible analogy.   Really, it is incredibly applicable.

In its original intent in ancient Greece, a liberal arts education is a wonderful, life enhancing concept. It exposes young minds to all sorts of “just good cool stuff” learned just for the sake of knowing (and possibly one day appearing on Jeopardy). It is the ideal complement to developing marketable “make a living” skills. … But, alas, it got bastardized by pointy-headed lunatics who hated PE in Jr Hi… sigh.

One particularly repulsive aspect is that LibArts advocates ridicule all institutions not as singularly repulsive as they are… in particular those of the STEM/Agri persuasion… such as NCSU for example.

STEM schools, as a rule, rigorously prepare students to make meaningful contributions to society and reap the personal benefits of those contributions.  LibArts schools are shifting their emphasis more and more to producing constipated “mob fodder”.

MIZZOU is among a handful of institutions that COMBINE LibArts and STEM/Agri disciplines on the same campus. LibArts pinheads and redneck farmers and engineer wanna-bes occupy the same space. YIKES! Columns

Both schools have about the same % of Greek social influence.  Prior to the hostile take-over two years, MIZZOU had a more equitable gender ratio at least as involves the two primary genders.  UNCCH is, of course, becoming less and less “friendly” towards white, heterosexual males.  Where that leads should be “interesting” to follow.

Imagine putting NCSU / UNC faculty and student bodies inside the same campus bubble ??? In my 20+ years at/visiting MIZZOU I don’t recall any hostility / animosity between the various disciplines on any level.

The group that created MIZZOU’s train wreck two years ago did NOT come from the STEM/Agri faction… but rather from the LibArts side.

MIZZOU signature “school” was, for 100 years, it’s highly acclaimed J-School. It was “the first such” in America. That, alas, is now like bragging about we once made the very finest buggy whips. OUCH!

MIZZOU’s nearness (120 miles) to “Ferguson” was a definite factor in the AfAm anarchists’ successful overthrow of the administration. That and both the campus Chancellor and system Prez at the time were incredibly weak “leaders”. They “caved” in the first 24 hours.

The Missouri state legislature was as dysfunctional as all state legislatures are regardless of “majority”. When “fit hits the shan” all politicians crawl under their desks and into a fetal position… sticking their finger into the wind to see which direction it is blowing while calling their “campaign consultants” for what to do.  Meanwhile CHAOS reigns…

Missouri has a four-campus “system” versus UNC’s 17 campuses.

I attended both schools in my early 20s. Comparing the two institutions was easy on a superficial level. UNCCH was nowhere near as radical-left as it has become in just the past 15-20 years.

MIZZOU had far superior Football… UNCCH far superior Basketball. Both are in “college towns” where the school is the 500 lb gorilla that runs the economy and “Students Rule”.

I still have lifelong “friends” from UNCCH due in large part to being “back here” for 30 years. Had I opted to stay in the Midwest, my MIZZOU friends would dominate my adult Rolodex.

Does MIZZOU “cheat” in FB and MBB? ABSOLUTELY! They are now in the SEC for heaven’s sakes. Their latest MBB coach will have them in the NCAA’s crosshairs within two years max.

Their FB program under Gary Pinkel had LOTS AND LOTS of ongoing “character issues”.  LOTS!  And they had Michael Sam too. Sam was “gay” but not a thug.   Many of his teammates were very “thuggy”.   Pinkel’s discipline strategy was “hey guys, just try not to get caught. OK?” OUCH! His successor is a young assistant who has no clue.

They’ve had three ADs in the past four years. None of whom were named “Little Dickie”.

It might be argued successfully that my insatiable search for entertaining “column fodder” for this website is the root cause of countless socio-cultural trainwrecks over the past 18+ years.

Duke Lacrosse… John & Rielle… TGU… MIZZOU MESS… Obama… Trump… ESPN Embrace Debate… “Bully” Barber’s “80,000 maybe more”… “Queen Mary” Easley… “TrainWreck Fennebresque”… Young Marvin’s Tweet… TA’s knee… Roy “going Roy”… HB2… 9/11…

DAMN. That’s quite a list. Huh?

My only response would be as my eulogist’s notes…

“aw shucks… I just seen my duty and I done it.”

FWIW…. AgentPierce’s EXPOSE on Kinston’s Global TransPark continues to draw attention with over 100 Reader Comments.  It is approaching the mythical “Did Carolina Marry A Stripper” viewer #s.  LINK

Tags: ,
  • Ben in MO Reply
    2 weeks ago

More and more the STEM types are gravitating to MUST (Missouri University of Science and Technology) formerly University of Missouri – Rolla. Serious STEM focus. If you get an STEM degree from either St. Louis U or Washington University in St. Louis (big bucks, both of them), a significant portion of the curriculum is provided through MUST.
    Mizzou enrollment is down significantly, to the point they have closed several dorms. Don’t know about the gender balance at Mizzou, but if it is like most nowadays, it is probably primary gender F heavy. Apparently gender definitions are now like shades of gray in black and white photography – there are more than the naked eye can truly identify. My class at Carolina was the first to include women admitted as Freshmen(?), whatever that is now. Prior to us, the ladies went to WC for the first two years, then transferred to UNCCH if they wished, or continued at WC. The male/female ratio was about 12:1.
    Summer school was popular because the ratio dropped to about 8:1. In those days, we only had two genders; anything in between was considered something different, but not a gender. We also had required courses, including Language, Math, and Lab Science requirements, and you completed most of your “General College” curriculum prior to beginning your Major courses. Positively Medieval, I suppose, by today’s standards. We also had Saturday morning classes…Freshpersons were not given any breaks by their advisors in those days, unless of course, they played sports.
    As a Fresher (sorry, nothing really works for me as well as Freshman), I was dating a Junior woman for a while (one of those transfers from WC). She had to be back in her dorm by 11:00 p.m. I didn’t, so after dropping her off, I could head downtown for a nightcap. That truly wasn’t fair to her, but in those days, the institution felt a responsibility to protect the person and the honor of the young ladies entrusted to them. Ironically, it was broad daylight in the arboretum within earshot of her dorm that one of those young ladies was stabbed to death the next summer.

2 weeks ago

I remember all of that including the Arboretum victim – SueEllen Evans.
      So far Mizzou has closed seven dorms, more to follow… I hear Missouri State (Southwest Missouri ??) in Springfield is getting many of in-staters who used to go to Columbia. We would never have sent our daughter to “what is Mizzou today”.

• JD Reply
    4 weeks ago

Silent Sam’s removal will solve all of the world’s problems and the snowflakes will finally be happy. Right?

4 weeks ago

And all the World will be Lake Woebegone… “Where all the women are strong. All the men are good-looking… and all the children are above average.” And the Voice of the Turtle will be heard all cross the fruited plain. HALLELUJAH!
      With “liberals” its always Symbolism Over Substance… and it always will be.

• Zebraman Reply
        3 weeks ago

Holy smoke, Bob!

I’ve been outta the country for a bit. I can’t believe that folks are giving ol’ Robert E. Lee a hard time. Don’t they understand what a class act he was? I mean, way back in the late 50s or early 60s, even Ike had to deal with a nasty question about why he had a picture of R.L. Lee in the Oval Office. Ike’s response to the rabid questioner, which can be reviewed at civilwarprofiles.com, is a classic and still rings true today. If one was inclined to be aggressive about it, one could characterize Ike’s letter as a “bitch slap” of sorts to the ignorant fool who called Lee a traitor. But, as I’m in an easy going mood, let’s just say it enlightened and put the correspondent attacking Lee in his place. 🙂
        Hope you are well.
        Sorry things are not going well at your alma maters. Mine ain’t doing any better on the PC front. It’s a disease that’s rampant on college campuses.
        All the best,
        Zebraman

3 weeks ago

My two alma maters might be extreme examples but certainly Higher Education is undergoing a “transition” within our culture.

• Stan Reply
    4 weeks ago

The UNC-CH board of trustees is without question a disaster on every front. This board represents the worst of mindless RINO Republicans and leftist Democrats–all put in their positions by the GOP-dominated BOG appointed by the GOP legislature. Ultimately, the NC Republican General Assembly bears the responsibility for the academic farce called UNC. Somebody needs to clean house, starting with Margaret Spellings and Carol Folt. The BOG also ought to dismiss the UNC-CH trustee board and name a new board that can bring some semblance of sanity to Chapel Hill. But don’t count on Republican politicians to clean up the disaster they have allowed to fester at UNC.

4 weeks ago

Assume you know the differences between BOT and BOG and how each are appointed… and the differences in their “powers”. Regardless.. you are correct that neither/either have done “squat” as re: UNCCH. Now, they HAVE had positive influences at other UNC System campuses with appointments of less left-radical Chancellors.
      The make-up of The BOG is decidedly LESS UNCCH-centric than it has EVER BEEN in its history, but one would not know that by its decision or lack of.
      I also share your disappointment with “that Bush woman” Margaret Spellings. She lives in Chapel Hill so I guess she wants to be popular with her neighbors.

• UNCBlue Reply
    4 weeks ago

Re: TGU. An intelligent friend and UNC insider turns into a basket case in defense of UNC. When all is said and done, the final defense is “everybody does it”.

I like to make the shock comment to the defenders. There is nothing more racist than fatcats hiring thugs to entertain them while sitting in football stands. There is no greater hypocracy than UNC Board of Trustees allowing it.
    “Oh, but it makes so much money for the University.”
    Hence my name,

4 weeks ago

BUT the “edi” crowd was ADAMANT for 50 years that UNC Did NOT Do It… No alum gets froggy when any SEC school or Pac-12 school “does it” and gets caught. “If we ain’t cheating we don’t want to win bad enough…” OUCH! Those schools put up a token defense then accept the penalties and try not to get caught the next time. The only lessons they learn is not to get caught the next time. Be more careful… launder the hush money better… whatever.
      The whole TGU Defense by UNC Admins and Alumni from Day One has been “Deplorable”. “Parsing words” and claiming statutes of limitations defense !!!! REALLY. IMO, their inability to accept Reality is tied to their messianic devotion to Dean Smith… which is beyond SICK!

• fayettewuf Reply
    4 weeks ago

I am a little troubled by the idea that liberal arts has been bastardized by pointy headed liberals. My education was fairly broad in that I dabbled in economics before deciding I liked mathematics more. In my econ courses, I did not encounter any socialist professors, my history profs were not Marxists, my English lit profs did not analyze lit through a feminist lens. Some in the humanities were good, some were just doing enough to keep their chairperson off their backs.
    The process though made me think about things enough to give me a broad perspective on current events. I would much prefer to work with, work for, have important decisions that effect me made by people who have had the benefit of a solid education..

I dislike labeling people as liberals or conservatives, one knowing the best approach and the other being totally wrong about everything. I have always thought you are a bright guy and your analysis of the factions in the TGU was on point. I think you said something to the effect that each faction characterizes the other faction by its worst and your own by its best. But you don’t seem to transfer this reasoning when you write about politics.

4 weeks ago

You posed two separate but equally challenging questions. Both merit a full column if not a series of columns and reader comments to do justice too. I’ll try abridged answers… This might get a bit “NCSU68-ish”
      Re: Liberal Arts Educ… IMO, a broad Lib/Arts education is what “college” should be all about. What UNCCH offered 50 years ago was exactly that. It was called “General College” and was EVERYBODY’s first two years regardless of intended major. It included a mixture of Math / Science / For Lang / English / History / host of Electives. Today I recall more of what I “learned” in those courses than my last two years as an Education Major. Most were courses I would never have taken on my own. I have no clue of any political leanings of ANY instructor / Professor I ever had at UNCCH. It was a very different time/place. … how that evolved in the 70s-80s to today ??? I was out-of-state and wasn’t paying attention. … So I totally agree with your opinion of a broad-base “learning for the sake of learning” education.
      I appreciate that one’s “career major” requires specialized training… but to forego the broad old-school Lib/Arts education is a shame as once out of a learning environment one likely will never get…
      RE: Sports vs Politics… (again an abridged answer). I was in corporate America for 20 years (20-40s) in six cities across the country. I have no clue of the political leanings of a single person I ever worked with / for / for me. Not a clue. “Politics” was NEVER discussed. Corporate “nomads” (as I was) never pay attention to state or local “politics” because you are just “there” temporarily. Maybe you pay attention for a few weeks to a Prez Election every four years but more out of curiosity than a visceral concern.
      IMO… “Sports”, unless one is involved as an occupation (coach, admin, pro athlete) absolutely DOES NOT MATTER. The results of a game have no more significance than “who gets the girl” in a movie. It is pure “escape” entertainment. Those who take game W & Ls “seriously” are lacking something in their lives – IMO. I appreciate the passion in the moment of an exciting game but to carry that passion beyond the game or to REALLY judge others by their sports teams reference is kinda sick IMO. BECAUSE it does NOT matter who won. Every fan base has the full spectrum of personalities… “disturbed” to “normal”(??). The Best / Worst can be found in EVERY fan base.
      Who gets elected to decision-making positions in local-state-federal government DOES MATTER… even if only in a “lesser of two evils” degree. Which many of us feel is where America is now.
      It is Sept 2017… I know the political leanings of just about everybody I associate with socially and professionally. Certainly among the ones I consider “friends”. I do NOT have a litmus test for my dry cleaners, my barber, my dentist, my eye surgeon, et al but in the course of our dealings it “comes out”. Do I have any liberal “friends”. Yes, a few. not many. I consider each one individually and concluded why he / she means something to me. I have fewer in that category than I did two years ago. Might well have even fewer a year from now. “Ce la vie”
      That might seem narrow-minded or otherwise sad to you. I’m OK with that. My wife shares my political views, actually even more vigorously. Our millennial daughter does too but won’t admit to it… 🙂 …. We are at a point in our lives we don’t HAVE to associate with anyone we don’t want to. We laugh a lot.
      I know nothing about you other than you are a frequent commenter here. I could dissect your various comments and arrive at your age and general Life Experiences but I haven’t done so. Maybe IYO it’s “people like me” that have America in the mess it is in. Kennel believes that. I don’t. Nor do I think “it’s people like BK, or you” whatever your leanings are.

I enjoy studying macro history. Civilizations rise and fall over the centuries. Dozens have lasted far longer than our measly 250 years. IMO, we are crumbling for the same reason so many others did… but at an accelerated rate due to technology.
      Yes… I voted for Donald Trump … as a “lesser of two evils” to Hillary Clinton’s Gang. Actually I like Trump The POTUS better than Trump The Candidate. Has he done/said some things I wish he hadn’t. Sure, and I’m sure he will do so in the future. All things considered… knowing what I know now… would I vote for Trump over Clinton again. ABSOLUTELY. Does that make me “all the nasty things the media you follow say I am”? Not in my mind but you are free to assume so… or not.
      Do you follow this website because we share a contempt for UNC? Can you accept “my politics” to continue reading my snarky POV on UNC? Thats up to you. My expressed contempt for UNC has certainly cost me viewers as it has gained me viewers. Likewise “my politics” has been a plus / minus to my # of viewers. I’m fine with that. Unlike Colin Kaepernick, I can accept the consequences of my actions.
      BL

• fayettewuf Reply
        4 weeks ago

Thanks for a thoughtful reply. I enjoy your commentary on sports so I will continue to read and comment. No one ever changes anyone else’s mind about politics nor religion.

4 weeks ago

Religion maybe. I didn’t realize you were trying to change my mind? I think Bre’r Kennel has finally given up on that… or maybe not.

• fayettewuf
            4 weeks ago

What on earth made you think I was trying to change your mind? I don’t argue politics, as I said.

BL,
      You do get the OLD NCSU68Grad Trophy….not the new and improved.
      Alas, I DID encounter one professor when I took either Industrial Psychology or maybe Psychology 101 that was a bit “progressive”. He spent a week telling us that 1/16 of ALL Southeners had “Pure Afro American” blood. I THINK he used the NEGRO word, not the “N” Word that LBJ and Robert Byrd and George Wallace and Orville Faubus (the list is LONG and DISTINGUISHED) used…note THEIR party affiliation.
      I dropped that little piece of info at a family gathering and was threatened with being disowned. NOW my crowd was of the DEMOCRATIC persuasion….I decided that living as a “White Slave” to the Democratic Party was NOT for me. My relatives and such were NOT plantation owners nor slave owners….don’t know how heroically they fought in the CW, but there were NO Confederate Flags flying….a LOT of American ones though.
      SO, that was circa 1964 or so. Me THINKS that the STEM campus has changed a bit. The idea of a DOME (remember the Summer Fill IN) with NCSU and UNC under one “half sphere” would be fascinating. I suspect that there would be civil disobedience….and the folk from NCSU that own (probably) MORE firearms and such would WIN….except that like the “Mayor”, there WOULD be a collection of weapons from folks that were “NOT of the Ruling Party”.
      Only wish that Professor Guy Owen (Author – The Flim Flam Man) were around to write a sequel…..that would be a HOOT….Don’t know WHICH politician (lib or reality) I would use as the NEW Mordecia Jones….maybe one of the TGU gang. It IS rumored that Charles Shackelford LOVED this movie and learned a NEW WORD from Harry Morgan….”Amphibibibibivivous”.

4 weeks ago

I always wondered if “Orville Faubus” had it rough on the playground as a kid. I bet he did.
        I’ve been given a proxy by 1,000s of BLSays viewers to say how much we all look forward to a New/Succinct NCSU’68. 🙂

• Bob Kennel Reply
    4 weeks ago

Easy comment material. Clearly AP is the common disruptive denominator because ultimately both messes are political in nature rather than academic or athletic.
    Congratulations on the expected twin girls. I can see you as a PROUD GRANDPA, but not AP.
    I’m still sticking with NC State as knowing it’s STEM importance and adding Liberal Arts as a complement.
    Really good column with a good reminder of your creative genius, misguided as it may be at times😎

4 weeks ago

Always reassuring to know that AgentPierce is living rent-free inside your head 24/7.
      Not sure how UNCCH’s mess is political?
      I think NCSU wins over USC.

• Ralph Reply
    4 weeks ago

Sadly, UNC has supposedly been under the control of the Republican legislature for the past seven years—and during this time the school has become even more leftwing and radical. Sad commentary on the NC GOP.

4 weeks ago

I totally agree. I have several friends on The BOG. I am very disappointed in their failure to “do anything” about the farce that is UNCCH. Their choice for Prez of The UNC System (“that Bush woman”) has likewise been a disappointmet.

• The Expatriate Reply

Take this to heart:

Two old guys are strutting on a park bench.
    First one asks, “Did I show you the new pictures of my grandchildren??
    Second replies, “No, and I certainly do appreciate it.”

4 weeks ago

I can certainly appreciate that.

4 weeks ago

BTW: BobLee and Blondie learned yesterday that Kid and Reverend Danny’s twins (due in late December) are “GG”. Kid had “the gender test”. Lord only knows what THAT is!. Their names will be “Ruthie” and “Scarlett”. Scarlett will go by “Scout”.
    AgentPierce just “scooped me” on this news about Kid & Rev Danny’s upcoming double blessings. “Ruthie” is a version of Ruth from The Bible. “Scarlett” is well, you know GWTW…. “Scout” is either from To Kill A Mockingbird or Tonto’s horse. Not sure on that yet. Likely the former.
    I have 6-8 “Only Dad Uses Them” nicknames for Kid (including Kid). I’ll have to come up with a dozen or so “Only GrandDad Uses” for these two.

• rowdybluetarheeler Reply
      4 weeks ago

Hope you don’t succumb to that deadly virus “GONNA BE A GRANDPAITIS”….
      your friends will recognize the early symptoms with backward eye rolls
      and shoulder shrugN

Fortunately, I don’t have that many friends. 🙂
        You mean to tell me that OTHER PEOPLE HAVE HAD GRANDCHILDREN TOO ? NOOO!

4 weeks ago

I wonder what name the twins will choose for you two. Despite months of training and coaching of our first child, he picked his own entirely different than our suggested names for his grandparents and it stuck with his other siblings. Kids rule that one or at least ours did.

4 weeks ago

This is all uncharted waters. I never gave it any thoughts figuring our daughter would marry and have some version of a family life that Blondie and I had grown up with in our Happy Days world. So far, thats the case. A bit of anxiety about these next 4-6 months for no reason other than what Dads’ do..

• Ron Cole Reply
      4 weeks ago

Double congrats grand grand dad!

4 weeks ago

Thanks! Got to work on some cool little nicknames…

• Old Alpha Wolf Reply
      4 weeks ago

Oh Wow, Bob(Robert E. )Lee..a twofer, a BOGO on grandkids.. You’re Luuckie..I, like you have only one source of supply, but got two “dangerous animal” XY grandkids at my favorite STEM institution. Congrats again, I had not heard this new…

WOW,
    I THOUGHT that I had caused the Mizou mess. I drove by the UM and UK campuses (on I-70) and said disparaging words about the Missouri idiots and the Kansas (Dean’s alma mater) folks. Sure glad it were YOU that caused the TGU-II in the midwest.
    Trick of the day….if you routinely clean out your cookies, then the WSJ paywall (and the N&O) will keep letting you in. Google Chrome (and IE and Foxfire and Edge) are easy to do. It also cleans out a bunch of clutter.
    I had read the WSJ article and chuckled at how the campus was impacted. BUT, other than the WSJ and maybe FOX, I don’t think that any OTHER MSM outlet picked up the info and ran with it….
    Sort of like yesterday….the MAIN CNN/MSNBC/FN outlets were focused on Melainie’s “Stilleto” heels. BUT when she got to Texas, she had on Sneakers. Crews were there with ground mounted cameras and high resolution lens to take the pictures.
    Same Media Outlets that failed to call out Mama Obama when she cavorted around in a pair of $1200 Flip Flops….Beat goes ON…
    At LEAST the University of Tampa DID fire the miscreant that said that Harvey was Texas’ JUST REWARD for voting for Trump and that the Trump Supporters in Florida deserved the same….

4 weeks ago

Pierce just posted STILETTO MADNESS GRIPS AMERICA ….

• Gear Up Reply
        4 weeks ago

MItch Rapp is coming to life on the big screen in two weeks BobLee! Real America will be delighted. I just hope Hollywood doesn’t try and neuter him. Maybe you should do a column on that!?

4 weeks ago

I was a Mitch Rapp fan long before it was “cool”… just after Vince stopped selling copies out of the trunk of his car. Unlike with “Reacher”, I’ve never had a mental image of Mitch so this guy could be fine. All the reviews are very good. … Of course Hollywood decided Irene Kennedy had to be black “because” … I guess we should be glad their “Mitch” isn’t a trany.