Having a Dog In Football Fights does matter

No Dog In Football Fight
September06/ 2017

Having no dog in The Football Fights does matter

I tried. I really did try to get “involved” in the dozen or so Big Time College Football games this past weekend. By the time whoever won the GaTech / Tenn game was decided, I had to admit failure. I had NOT “gotten involved”.

BREAKING NEWS:  Today – Thurs Sept 7 – the UNC BOG will open discussion of Relocating The UNC System HQ out of Chapel Hill.

Here is a column I posted on this Most Wonderful Idea in June 2016.  It’s pretty much all you need to know on the subject.

Not having a ”my team” is like watching Slovenia versus Slovakia in Soccer.  Or a Croatian movie without subtitles.

I did watch at least a quarter of UNC / Calif and NCSU / USC and of Ala / FSU. I read enough of the recaps to gauge the mood of most of you. In order to converse with you the audience out there, I should be aware of how the local teams and major national teams are doing.

Unlike TV where I have never seen one episode of Game Of Thrones, being aware of local football fortunes is somewhat higher on the priority list.  Am I becoming “Albert” in terms of my pop culture awareness?

I am not going to come on here each week for the next three months and brag about my lack of personal interest in “football” – college and NFL. It is nothing to brag about. It is not some addiction I have overcome. It is not some HEY LOOK AT ME! Achievement at all.

I don’t believe you or America or civilization would be any better off if all of you followed my lead on this. Maybe all three WOULD be better off if all of you did; but I don’t have any data to confirm that.

At the risk of REALLY alarming you… I also don’t have the same “I GOTTA HAVE ME SOME…..” passion for barbecue any more either. I still have passions for numerous things… but Football and barbecue aren’t among’em any more. Are those Signs of The Apocalypse?

Speaking of Barbecus & Football …. here is a great column from The San Antonio Express-News from last week.  LINK !!!  It compares the columnist’s opinion of NC barbecue to Texas Football.  One reason I love the column is I KNOW it will upset some of you ….

I DO enjoy observing and predicting human behavior both individually and as part of a herd. The passion that so many invest in “their football teams” provides unlimited observational fodder.

The one “I wish I had watched” would be the 2nd half of UCLA vs aTm. Improbable comebacks are always exciting especially if one is totally non-partisan which I was.

Apparently a member of the aTm Bord of Regeants was NOT so non-partisan in his POV. If “people like him” are in key decision-making positions within one’s alma mater, there is a reason for concern.   No comparable “unhinged boosters” made national headlines at Texas or Baylor but their unexpected losses likely did upset many.

Locally, of course, neither UNCCH nor NCSU loyalists are rushing to order tickets for the Dr. Pepper Swofford Bowl in December. Their respective BCS Champagne Wishes & Caviar Dreams were dealt setbacks.

Down in Greenville, it was a dark day at Dowdy Ficklin. They lost to one of those “tell me again, where ii is located” schools. That’s never encouraging.

Both NCSU and UNCCH showed enough promise however to still rebound to gentlemanly 7-8-9 Ws seasons and swag-bag trips to Some Bowl SomeWhere.

If UNCCH had managed to finish that $28,000,000 IPF McMansion ya think it mighta been the difference versus Cal?

TeamDoeren probably just needs “more charging stations” to “be a contenda”.  Another dozen should do it.

I did notice the usual empty seats amid Kenan’s lofty pines. Yes, I realize it was Labor Day Weekend and those 20,000 empty seats were all “at da beach”. Next week they will all be somewhere else… then some other weak excuse every following week.

After two consecutive seasons of high-scoring offenses and way more Wins than Losses… it should just be accepted that there are give/take 45,000 people PERIOD who will bother to attend a football game at Kenan StKenan Football seatsadium.

Other than “when State visits every other year” and maybe VaTech and maybe Notre Dame… those upper decks corners and the “too low to see anything” seats are going to be empty.

Me? I would take those sections out of inventory – cover those areas with large tarps (sell ads on the tarps?) – and market a stadium with 50,000 max capacity.

Of course, I WOULD HAVE admitted to “Grievous Errors of Institutional Ignorance” regarding The Scandal five years ago… given up the 2005 banner… written a check for $20,000,000 to The NCAA and have that whole mess fading into history. What do I know…

As long as everyone knows there will be plenty of tickets available at game time, the Ticket Office is dependent upon the weather to sell those last 20,000 seats. Risky!

Don’t blame Larry Fedora. He runs a high-scoring offense and TDs should sell tickets. Imagine the empty seats if UNC was trying to sell a “3 yards… cloud of dust” show?

To a semi-literate 17 y/o, does seeing all those empty seats in Kenan negate that Smoothie Machine planned for the IPF?

I know I HAVE to comment on KAEPERNICK and whoever the latest “beat up his girlfriend” NFL thug-alete is. I think it’s another Dallas Cowboy.

I read where he is using the old “that crazy lying bitch, she be crazy” defense. That’s the one they always use at Florida State.

“Discussing the NFL” is what I imagine “being a proctologist” must be like.

Speaking of Florida State… remember a column I did about 18 months ago about Jimbo Fisher’s ex-wife – Candi – and her boy-toys? That column still gets 15-20 hits every day.  Go figger…

Maybe I’ll do the NFL crap next time. Unless I can come up with something / ANYTHING else.

• ultraviolet Reply
    2 weeks ago

Football I sorta understand, but a flagging desire for barbeque? Have you tried NuGenix?

2 weeks ago

I’m still good with hushpuppies and brunswick stew and banana pudding. And “ribs” that fall off the bone are fine. But chopped pork has lost its appeal.

2 weeks ago

No dog, no fight either and something no one will to talk about is that the selection of Scotty Montgomery as ECU-HBC is increasingly looking like a stereotypical train wreck affirmative action hire. The AD who was given a contract extension recently by the new GOP Chancellor was talking to everyone, everywhere before the first lick-off has now suddenly gone underground and, if reports are correct, deleted his Twitter acct. Radio silence since the JMU fiasco. Maybe your more informed ECU contact can tell me if I’m right or wrong about all of this.

2 weeks ago

ECU would seem to be the last of the local schools to make that Aff Action knee-jerk hire, but it sure looks like it. Fire one black guy under dubious circumstances but replace him with another black guy to divert YOU GUYS ARE RACISTS headlines. Will ECU now can Scotty and replace him with a Trany Illegal Alien Whose Great Granddaddy Did NOT Own Slaves ???

• @CarolineduRosso Reply
    2 weeks ago

I think this all might be a function of your, eh…maturity Bob. What are you now, about Silent Sam’s age? That geriatric, atrophied brain of yours can’t be stimulated by crowds, pageantry, hot cheerleaders and skilled players like it once was. And I’m not making fun (well maybe just a little) I’ve experience much the same thing. It just doesn’t mean that much anymore. I’ve attended international football matches (soccer) in European capitals, Innsbruck ’76, Orange Bowls and Gator Bowls (and some bowls I can’t remember), Knicks at the Garden and Celtics at the Garden. It was fun and glad I’m did it, but at this stage I’m not sure I’d attend the Rose Bowl if it were being held in my back garden.

2 weeks ago

Guilty as charged. When I was matriculating at UNC, it was just called “The Well” and Dean Smith was “that whozit that replaced Frank McGuire”. I will take exception to including “cheerleaders” on that list although they are now younger than my daughter… OUCH!
      I attended Super Bowl II in Miami – Oakland vs Green Bay… still have the ticket stub – $9.00! I’ve done pretty much all the Bucket List Sports Events in America… except Kentucky Derby. First Visit To Augusta National and First NASCAR Race are still “special”…. 95% of the rest are not worth the hassle.

2 weeks ago

I think I’ve got the cheerleader thing figured out. The young ladies are not too young for me. I’m now too old for them.😞

2 weeks ago

An Old Dog chasing Young Cars ….

• TheCowdog Reply
    3 weeks ago

Sometimes I worry about you, dude.
    As in…when was the last time you put a pork shoulder on your own smoker?

3 weeks ago

If it can’t be zapped in the microwave I don’t deal with it. I’m not expecting (or advocating) that my culinary preferences become a cultural trend. 🙂
      Apparently Beaumont was spared Harvey’s wrath at least the one quiet residential sreet we care about.

• TheCowdog Reply
        3 weeks ago

Oh! Our concern was fiesty during the event…Then the city lost water…

3 weeks ago

If your new healthy eating regimen includes kale, I have pro-tip for you. Add a little coconut oil while it’s cooking. That makes it much easier to scrape it into the garbage pale.😋

3 weeks ago

It does not…. “include kale”. Actually I’m fine with all the accoutrements that go with barbecue… except the chopped pork. I’m still BIG on Brunswick Stew.
          You probably do not remember Gene Michael. I believe he had moved on w/ The Pirates before you moved in.

• Doug
            3 weeks ago

I do remember that he played at GS. Maybe you remember my story of Stick. A friend and I met him in the hotel lobby in Baltimore before a Yankees-Orioles game. Told him we were both from Kinston and we got dissed big time. Maybe he was having a bad day or maybe Steinbrenner had just chewed his ass out over something. It might have even been the same year he got canned from the bench later in the season.

3 weeks ago

I couldn’t recall who told that story, thought it might have been you. Being “a celebrity” how ever that is defined is a perilous burden to bear. If one is not “in character” in every public encounter, especially in these times of social media, a perceived snub can result in a twitter roasting. A PGA golfer who signs 100 autographs has to break it off to be somewhere and the 101st kid in line labels him a jerk. I suspect Vivian Howard has learned all about THAT.

• myowngrandpaw Reply
    3 weeks ago

***BREAKING NEWS*** Francois possibly out for season!
    IRMA who?

It is ridiculous. So many stories hyped to the point AMERICA will never be the same if this player or that player is suspended or injured.

Can’t take it anymore.
    Let me know when college football is just a game for the students again, and I might start watching.

3 weeks ago

Afraid that possibility has left the barn… sigh, sob, sniff.

• MB.in.Balmer Reply
    3 weeks ago

Being from Lexington I will never lose my passion for BBQ. That and Bojangles!

3 weeks ago

I understand. It is forever intertwined in your DNA helix. I cannot explain my current aversion… I still do like hushpuppies FWIW.

• Porgie Reply
    3 weeks ago

CF iniated the clear bag policy last year but did send a “free” bag to season ticket holders with the block S logo. Guess the designer ones at unc-ch will have either argyle or jump man on them. Prepping for my 43th season this Saturday with my family. As I explained to frat brothers earlier this week, Saturdays in the fall at CF are for seeing and remininsce with all friends.Any expectations of other grandiose events will soon be dowsed. If you want to see champions, one must take in Cross Country, Swimming, or Wrestling events.

3 weeks ago

In Reidsville, you live just inside the time/distance circle to make that 43rd season practical. From Statesville / Hickory it would get more “lets think about it”.

• Porgie Reply
        3 weeks ago

Still an 1.5 hr trip but 6 PM kickoffs are nice. Forgot to mention that I will be going to San Antonio again in about 4 weeks. I will attempt to find some Tex-Mex BBQ of some sort that I can complain to the writer about in comparison to NC BBQ. Do enjoy the mango and prickly pear cactus margaritas they serve.

3 weeks ago

My definition of A Living Hell would be sitting next to anyone on a 4-hour flight who was obsessed with any aspect of any kind of “barbeque”. I would ALMOST rather give Maxine Waters a colonoscopy.

• Former96heel Reply
    3 weeks ago

Sandcastles with the kids took priority this past week. Tee ball will next week. Yard work and fall maintenance will win out through the rest of fb season.
    I do find it strange that a wide array of ages and fan levels feel the same way.
    15 years ago I was spending good money on the NFL ticket for home viewing and way more time than I would like to admit on UNC football

3 weeks ago

Like you… I’m filling those hours with other discretionary activities. I just realized over time that following Football was simply not a priority for me any longer. I’m not trying to make a statement or change cultural mores.

3 weeks ago

ECU BM’s are in full disaster mode. Luckily for them Greenville has only a few structures tall enough to do permanent damage if and when they decide to jump.That’s not the case in the Triangle anymore. I saw a local sportscaster this morning and the BM’s are even lashing out at him. I told him that he should consider it as a badge of honor.

I understand the give up BBQ feeling but IMO there are maybe 4 or 5 true real deal joints in NC that keep me coming back for more. Luckily 2 of those are a 15 minute drive for me. Despite some hype. I’ve yet to find such a place in Wake County despite a few highly recommended spots. Zilch. Is your sudden situation diet related? Or just not feeling it anymore?

3 weeks ago

Not “diet” in terms of losing weight, but more in terms of “eating healthier”. Actually more a case of “this just doesn’t taste that good to me any more”. The BBQ-eating scenario in a “joint” atmosphere like at Ayden is classic, I’m just not into the chopped pork thing any more.
      I never heard a reliable explanation for “Firing Ruff”. Coach Scottie had Coach Cutt Cred but seems to be “struggling” to say the least. I’m guessing certain ECU Fat Cats are calling Saban, Urban, Belichek, et al…

• ultraviolet Reply
        2 weeks ago

Unfortunately, Saban, Urban, etc., could buy our fatcats. In fact I sometimes wish someone would. There just seems to be a redneck in the woodpile in Greenville who don’t like a good, well known athletics director with a large rolodex, national respect, and reputation for class. Running that one off is the root of the problems in Pirateland. Karma is generally harder on ECU than others for some reason. Oh well, I love golf too. I still like doing my own competing. Barbeque will have to pried from my cold, dead lips.

2 weeks ago

It truly is Charlie Brown, Lucy and the For=tball…ECU Football is simply A MESS! Is its sole purpose to make UNC and NCSU programs appear sane and well-managed by comparison? It truly is Charlie Brown, Lucy and the Football …

• LRP Reply
    3 weeks ago

Not interested in even watching?…say it ain’t so Bob Lee! I’ve been driving down that same road for awhile, now, myself.
    Now, on the other hand, there were reports that Ol’ BC was somewhere inside the Blue Zone, this past weekend….JC sold him his tickets/seats …yes, the same seats, next to my ” old ones”, that used to be next to his……yea, I never did enjoy watching the game from the end zone…..but, ” Can’t you better see the holes/plays opening up from the end zone? “…..yea, sure ..as long as the teams are within the inside of the 20 yd. line, coming towards you…..Once they are going away from you, past the ” inside 20 yds “., you can watch the action on the big video screen in the far end zone…and, if you’re going to be doing a lot of that, you might as well be inside the Blue Zone, or at home, watching the game on TV ( if it’s even on TV ), eating/drinking to your hearts delight…and, better yet for Ol’ BC, the food and drinks were ” somewhat ” free, eh?
    Yea, I know…the food/drinks are part of the Blue Zone’s ” package “…but Ol’ BC was still thinking, ” If it’s free, it’s for Me!”….and, I’ll bet you money, he ate/drank as much of that free food/liquid as he could more than justify…..jus’ sayin’……Now, I’ll have to admit, if I ever venture back to Kenan to see a game, it will HAVE TO BE from inside the Blue Zone….JC spoiled me…..on the other hand, I’ll catch a game or two, every year, in Carter Finley…I love the NCSU tail gate camaraderie…plus, you can enter/leave/come back into the stadium as often as you want….not so, at Kenan…..and, once in a ” Carolina Blue Moon “, Mr. Purcell will invite his old hometown fraternity buddy to join him, up in Vaughn Towers…yea, Sampson County membership does have its privileges. All of that ” enjoyment ” at Carter Finley doesn’t nearly cost what it does to be in the Blue Zone….and, when there is a blowout/boring game, you can get back to partying/eating/drinking ( liquor ), outside the stadium, on the fair grounds, without the fear of being ” ticketed “/ arrested. …try walking around the campus grounds at UNC, with a ” beverage ” in your hand…jus’ sayin’….
    Bob Lee…quite honestly, if we were still hosting the Lettermen’s Club, together, Kenan would take me away ( sometimes ) from Raleigh, on those conflicting Saturday afternoons….but, the times have changed…haven’t they?

3 weeks ago

C-F has always had a better GameDay Experience than Kenan with its acres of Festival Parking. The “It’s at a Fairgrounds” was always a hollow whine from UNCers. That far superior tailgate experience is – IMO – why C-F continues to have capacity crowds with a comparable on-field product. UNCers will never admit it but thats not necessary.
      UNC had no choice but to put its VIP Enclave – TBZ – where it did and try to sell it any way they could.

3 weeks ago

Sign of the times or just another way to make the game day experience even more frustrating. UNC is implementing a “clear bag” policy.

1.Clear plastic or vinyl bags no larger than 12″ x 6″ x 12″, including gallon freezer bags

2. Small clutch purses no larger than 4.5″ x 6.5″

3. Necessary medical items following inspection at entry gates

Maybe the fat cat Blue Zone wimen will convince Louis Vuitton to design a genuine imitation leather clear plastic model.

3 weeks ago

UNC has established a “tradition” of customer-UNfriendly policies. Based on an assumption of “because we say so and we’re so wonderful”. That premise is being disproven daily.

• DM Carpenter Reply
    3 weeks ago

I had some interest in the App/UGA game. Had App won, I would have been pleased, and would have gigged my UGA buddies, as they would have expected. But, they lost. The score was reasonable. App suffered no serious injuries, AND that check paid for the assistant coaches this year. Pin me, pay me. Ain’t “Big Money” sports a fine capitalist enterprise.
    I do maintain “that school from Berkley” likely had a picture of Silent Sam posted as “locker room bulletin board motivation” for their game “among the Lofty Pines”.

3 weeks ago

Wasn’t this the 10th Anniversary of the Miracle in Ann Arbor for App State?

• DM Carpenter Reply
        3 weeks ago

It was indeed. The wife and I were unable to attend that game due to “family wedding”. (It ended in divorce.)

That game was a fun one to watch, but I preferred the three consecutive NCs in person in Chattanooga.

Of the three NCs, my best non-football memory was when the UMass band played L’ Internationale and the La Marseillaise during their pep rally. Honestly, you can’t make stuff up like that.

• Bob Kennel Reply
    3 weeks ago

BL, sorry I still have enthusiasms for both college football and BBQ. Heard Kevin Keatts at Raleigh Sports Club today. Still have my enthusiasms there as well
    Albert Long and I should get on your case 😎

3 weeks ago

No need to apologize Bob. Obviously you are not alone in your enthusiasm. I don’t believe Albert still shares that however, but certainly many do. I’ve known you long enough to have witnessed your enthusiasm for “more than a few” new NCSU coaches. I can’t explain the barbecue thing. Just realized that in the past year and it is NOT a matter of one place over another.

• JP Reply
        3 weeks ago

It’s all because of the dolts. In the past year, going anyplace that involves public interaction has become a chore. It’s like someone removed the governor from the engine. Every public place is infected by people lacking civility. Any opinion, whether it be football, or BBQ, or even weather now results in a demand for satisfaction and pistols at dawn.

3 weeks ago

Yes… I suppose there is that element to our society. I am terminally asocial so “getting out” as never been my preference with free time. Being “in a crowd” especially is not my idea of a good time.

3 weeks ago

GA Tech….they DID go out in a blaze. Sort of the TOP GUN or Maverick play calling. Mr. Johnson should have chosen BLACK, rather than Orange (or Gold)
    Did not attend the Saturday Slaughter at BOA Stadium. Stats that GA Tech and NCSU put up SHOULD have been easy victories over the SEC. NOT SO….the score is the only thing that matters.
    Did they really keep score in Keenan? I thought it was the Snowflake Kickoff and that each team had to give every player in uniform an alloted time of the field. The ending ceremony was Kum BaYa…lead by Rev BB and “Participation” Trophies were handed out.
    This football season has all the passion that I used to have for slalom water skiing….until my left shoulder was added to the Reserve and Disabled List. That took care of that….Football is also heading that way….
    BL, if you were really serious, you would give up BBQ for Lent….I might have to this year….

3 weeks ago

I could easily give up BBQ… and watching Oprah.

• BC.in.PV Reply
    3 weeks ago

BL, I didn’t even try. People who know me, [sons] can’t believe this is me. The last straw for me and the gators, was the 10 suspensions because of credit card fraud. Didn’t watch a single play of the game with Michigan.

3 weeks ago

I went thru the “not going to games” stage 3-4 years ago. Now I’m in the “not even interested in even watching” stage. The WHYS are not going to be easy for the Football marketers to solve.

• mapackfan Reply
        3 weeks ago

The “powers that be” are going to take a long time to figure it out. As Yoda would say: “Dense they are…”

The gameday experience is being lessened by their stadium and parking policies; none of which make any of us any safer or more secure. Hell; it is easier to get onto a plane than into a stadium.

My 70″ HD at home with a toilet and a wet bar within 10 feet is the way to go. With comfortable seating for 10 or more. And a heck of a lot cheaper than buying tickets.

Have your friends over; have your tailgate in your driveway; and ignore the stadium parking/entrance policies.

Your life will be easier and your blood pressure will be lower. Win-Win.

3 weeks ago

I “discovered” that reality 4-5 years ago and all I have is a 36″ HDTV. IMO… “watching at home on HDTV” even beats “free game tickets”.