Where NOBODY knows my name. …PLUS some Football stuff

Steak Shake
September24/ 2017

Where NOBODY knows my name. … PLUS Football stuff

That’s a play on the Cheers theme song. Where I go most mornings for breakfast… (1) Sunny’s Diner, or (2) a nearby Steak’n Shake… Everybody “knows me”, but nobody knows my name. I find great comfort in that.

In America 2017, “finding great comfort” anywhere is the psychological equivalent of winning the lottery. Someplace you can go and escape the 24/7 grim reality of a society that is well into Thelma and Louise mode. The only question is “How deep is The Abyss?”

NOTE: Yes… I will give my thoughts on yesterday’s football results and how the world as we know it is irrevocably changed by those results. Yeah, right. But first I’m going to prattle about why “my silly little breakfasts regimen” help me maintain a modicum of sanity in a quite insane world.

By “nobody knows my name” I’m not suggesting that is normally a problem for me. I enjoy anonymity everywhere but here.

I don’t know what “notorious rappers” use to move about among the Great Unwashed…. Or America’s Newest Martyrs – semi-literate millionaire AfAm athletes. Poor poor widdle semi-literate millionaire AfAm athlete martyrs… they are sooo misunderstood, bless their widdle hearts. … AND down the rabbit hole we gooooo…

I REALLY wish President Trump had NOT “said what he said” on Friday about The NFL, NBA etc.  He turned miscreants into martyrs.  Blondie will have a few 100 choice words about THAT on Monday.  She has “an interesting perspective”.

WHY WHY WHY doesn’t POTUS Donald check with me first ?  Of course, if he had checked with me for my advice back in October… the gawd-awful mess we are in now would be soooo much more of a mess with the FAR greater of two evils. Some of you don’t agree with that.  Get your own website.

I’ve been going to Sunny’s Diner and, alternately, Steak ‘n Shake for 4-5 years. Everybody knows me but nobody knows (1) my name… or (2) what I do… or (3) my opinions on anything… except what I like for breakfast. They ALL know that.

I often wear a Cardinals ballcap but nobody around here recognizes that. Or would care if they did.

Blondie has never been with me to either Sunny’s or S&S. She starts “saving Western Civilization” around 7 AM and doesn’t require my help doing so.

The staff at both places are ALWAYS glad to see me. Not like a sing-songy “Welcome to Moe’s” greeting they HAVE to say. I’m glad to be there… they’re glad I’m there. Win-Win.

Every diner waitress “has a story”… every tall bearded guy wearing a ballcap “has a story”. We don’t ask… we don’t tell. It all works out remarkably well.

I DO NOT meet up with 2-3 other cranky old coots to sit at “our table” and complain about the weather, the designated hitter, or “kids these days”. If I ever do THAT even once… SHOOT ME… one bullet in the base of my brain – Mafia-style.

45 minutes of my day that provides just enough serenity to allow me to slog through the not so serene rest of my day.

I hope YOU have a place “where nobody knows your name”.

##

DD Gets His Signature Win… YIPPEEE!

Yes, I know all the reasons that the Wuffs win over the ‘Noles doesn’t really count – rookie QB… 3-week lay-off… Trump (there’s always a Trump’s fault)… blah blah… yadda yadda.Sleeping Giant

Sure IT COUNTS.   DD has his mythical “Signature Win”… The Sleeping Giant of Carter-Finley is Awake… YEE HAA!

If Samuels and/or Chubb stay healthy… The Ceiling Is The Roof for The Brickyard Boys. They are certainly not afraid of The Fighting Dabos. Last year proved that.

The SEC will turn-over at least three HCs by December. At least six SEC Fat Cats Clubs just added “That guy at NC State” to their “short-list” yesterday. Uh Oh!

Was I the only one who noticed a Kenanesque element to vaunted Doak-Campbell? A LOT of aluminum Noles fans! Who Knew??? Anyone put a For Sale sign in Jimbo’s front yard YET.

Meanwhile “amid Kenan’s lofty pines…”

On Friday I told Duke Legend Leo Hart that his old side-kick Wes Chesson might want to “bring a camera to Kenan on Saturday”. The juxtaposition of “Duke – camera – Kenan” always causes Tru Blue blood to boil. I thought Coach Cutt would win by 3 TDs going away. Too many of what Steve Logan calls “minus-4s” in the Red Zone prevented that.

As we all know, Duke and “even Wake Forest” have an Indoor Practice Facility IPF and Poor Larry doesn’t (yet) ergo… A Duke W was a certainty. To my knowledge Old Dominion does not have an IPF… so that was more of a fair fight.

Looking at UNC’s future schedule, only Western Carolina is “sans IPF”… uh uh! That PLUS the fact that UNC’s modest-at-best pre-season depth chart now looks like a MASH unit ICU does not bode well for those charged with selling tickets to future UNC FB games this season.

Instead of that $36,000,000 Bling Crib, can’t Bubba only schedule games with schools without an IPF. Surely there are 5-6 of those still out there. I don’t think Cardinal Gibbons HS has one… yet.

Needing 5 Ws out of the remaining 8 games… I don’t see UNC FB faithful (all 25,000 of’em) enjoying “Christmas In Shreveport” this year. Do you?

Suppose… somehow… what’s left of Fedora’s Decimated Legions manage to upset The Carter-Finley Juggernaut in late November? Keeping Wuffs out of The Swofford Bowl somehow with UNC’s 3rd W of the season. That oughta explode enough heads to keep me in column fodder thru December.

##Ashley

“Ashley”, my favorite waitress at Sunny’s Diner, has no idea who Frau Yow is… or Ol’ Roy. Just two of the reasons I look forward to seeing her for breakfast.

A beautiful Sunday in September… Blondie will “work out in the yard” which she LOVES to do. I will take a 5-mile walk listening to the latest Nelson DeMille novel. … NFL? What NFL?

##

WAIT A MINUTE BobLee… what about Roys Boyz not going to The White House? … Whatever “Baghdad Steve” Kirschner said about “scheduling … that is NOT how it went down.  Some sane UNCer (a very short list) knew Roy would “show his ass” somehow.  Unless they “Hannibal Lechtered” Roy he could never be trusted to behave. … The whole “Jocks At The White House” PR crap shoulda been stopped years ago.

Honor First Responders and Military… America’s REAL HEROES!

##

MORE OF:  “So The Blonde Said…” – LINK

IF you are familiar with the website Carolina PlottHound; you might be interested in AgentPierce’s revealing update about “that” …..  LINK

Uh Oh… AgentPierce has gone after Roger Goodell now.  LINK ... This is gonna get dicey really quickly.

• ultraviolet Reply
    4 weeks ago

I always chuckle at the preseason conditioning news under the ‘toughest S&C coach in the world’ with forty times and lift numbers that guarantee my/your/their team’s boys will maul that other team because by golly they’re the toughest ever to walk. Except of course, unless it’s chilly or it might rain, or the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars. Thus, IPFs are absolutely necessary. We live in curiouser and and curiouser times. Who’d want to miss it?

4 weeks ago

And next week these will be “back in the day” ….

• Reno.Jim Reply
    4 weeks ago

I’m not sure this belongs in the Comments section for “Nobody Knows My Name.” You may, however, find it interesting.
    The Dear Lady to whom I am married sleeps later than I do. So, I go most mornings to a place where nobody knows my name. It’s a McDonald’s that I have patronized for years. I walk in, don’t have to say a word and am handed a “senior cup” of coffee (86 cents). I usually go to a corner booth, pull out a crossword puzzle and pen, and do my thing. I may speak to some individuals I recognize, but I don’t sit with them and they do their own things. When the puzzle is done and/or the coffee is gone, I get a refill and go home to have breakfast with The Dear Lady. I tell people who ask that “the coffee gets my engine running, the puzzle cranks up my brain and the solitude sets my soul right to meet the world.”
    Two observations: (1) The process works for me. (2) I am reasonably intelligent, fairly well educated and been around long enough to have seen and learned a thing or two, but I simply don’t understand people who look down their noses at McDonald’s coffee. I am not a novice coffee-drinker. I say McDonald’s coffee is good coffee, the price is right and the people who work where I get it are unfailingly pleasant — all of which beats the hell out of the last Starbucks I was in (as an invited guest, so I kept my thoughts to myself).
    And on that high intellectual note…
    The Expatriate

4 weeks ago

Au contraire… this is a PERFECT description of “where nobody knows your name”. Thanks.

4 weeks ago

Comments from the NCSU Radio Network was that the copious amount of aluminum at FSU was due to folks still recovering from the hurricane. Makes sense. Factoids for thought.
    Bush 41 was in his first year (1989) when FSU last went 0 & 2. Jimbo has never lost an FSU Home Opening game. Since 1992, when FSU joined the ACC, they have only had 15 HOME ACC losses. That is out of 25 games. NCSU hold the top spot with 3 AT FSU wins. FSU has had 23 Road Losses to ACC schools. Clemson has 6 of them and NCSU has 4. The rest are 2’s and 1’s.
    NOW, the above and $5 will get you a Starbucks whatever….so Dave from the Midwest still has to show good numbers this season. BUT, winning does typically connote winning. Wuffie fans are long suffering. If DD DOES stub his toe….there is gonna be MORE gnashing of teeth and tweets about whether AD Yow will make the call for the new guy than Trump and the NK guy with the bad haircut.
    Finally….Agree totally with you….Trump’s remarks are what a LOT of people think….and want to say. BUT, he said it and NOW the Left and other loonies are going ballistic. I sure hope the “Turn OFF the NFL” PAC has some influence.
    Stephen Curry needs to have all new hats….he had breathed new life into the NBA. The Deplorables will NOT be happy with his remarks. Don’t have a clue why being able to run, jump, shoot, throw, whatever increases one’s intellect to the point that they are the smartest puppy on the planet…
    Have a Mexican restaurant that we frequent often…just like your “Cheers”. One waiter always handles our table. He DOES know me….”Amigo”… Asks “Regular or Jumbo” Margarita? Heavy tonight or light? Knows DW wants sangria. The Heavy meal is Burrito Cancun for DW and Chori Pollo for me. Light is Fajitas for TWO….Combo Carne and Pollo. No CNN or MSNBC blasting. Mostly international soccer.
    Just good food and fair prices….and we run into fellow church members (most of which are having a margarita) and chit chat. Politics and such are forbidden….

• ENC#1 Reply
    4 weeks ago

Why oh why do we mix sports and politics…..Paul Jones never did! Athletics might be the “almost only” area that is pure….I am starting to believe my dad and his buddies at Bojangles that have always said the World Series “Always goes 7 games so they can make more money”.
    Great job by my Blue Devils they let the Tar Heels think they could win then put so much pressure on Surratt he threw a “two handed soccer sideline throw in pass” to a Duke player who scored and dominated the 4th quarter….if you believe the dominated part you also believe everything the liberal media says. By the way I am saying this because I will probably never have the chance again DUKE, WF & NCSUhave as may loses together as UNC-CH has wins….don’t tell Bubba and the Carolina Mafia but you can tell Art for me.

4 weeks ago

That keep Sports pure “virginity” was lost some time ago. PJ, by the way, was a Democ being a public school teacher for 40 years. He wasn’t sure WHY he was, but he was told he better be. We never discussed it in his later years.
      I DID speak with Leo on Friday. We were both picking TeamCutt to win handily. All those “minus 4s” in The Red Zone is all that made it close.

• Queen City Reply
    4 weeks ago

How is it different if Trump is asking players to stand and Obama is asking the Redskins to change their name?

4 weeks ago

Trying to apply common sense and reason to any of this will get you lost in the weeds really quick.

4 weeks ago

Despite what I’d do or not do, I’m begging to think that this Trump fellar might know exactly what he’s doing with the kneelers. I’ll venture that none of them voted for DT and never will. At least he is doing something which is not more of the same old, same old. Keep kneeling guys and we’ll see if attendance and ratings will rise or plummet. There will be more fodder material than the drip…drip…drip NFL leadership is showing. As far as team visits to the WH is concerned, those should cease along with the WH correspondents dinner and the annual saving the turkey clemency ritual every Thanksgiving.

Those that have called for DD’s head might get their wish if the Pack continues to win. Just in a different way than some had planned over the past few seasons.

The Heels just ain’t very good. Same for the IPFless Pirates. ECU wins it baby but the baby sure was ugly!

4 weeks ago

I didn’t even think to look for the ECU score. OUCH! … Blondie thinks POTUS Donald has outsmarted’em again. I hope so. He gave the haters lots more to hate which is always fine… maybe they’ll all “bust a gut”.

4 weeks ago

Uh Oh! It just aint right wing nut jobs that’s pissed off. More than a few hard corn Dem’s that will never support DT are raising Hell on social media too. Trump haters are still gonna need a complete defragging if he called his Tweet correctly. Going yard on the left is such fun. Easy too!!

The ECU game was being played today – don’t ask me why – as you posted your latest. UConn kicker missed a chip shot FG to tie with seconds remaining. Poor kid.

4 weeks ago

NFL hard-core Kaepernickers are calling for NFL to declare November as THE NFL HATES THE POLICE MONTH… OK, I paraphrased it but thats what they are DEMANDING. This could be the line in the sand that is needed. The owners are scared spitless of the NFL AfAms striking. How much of America will care? Not nearly as much as the NFL AfAms think.

• ultraviolet
            4 weeks ago

They needn’t worry about the players striking. They need to worry about the fans calling out sick for good.

4 weeks ago

We shall see what we shall see …. which may not be what “the media” will report, of course.

• Porgie Reply
    4 weeks ago

Finally a signature win for CDD. Now if the AD can hold off on the contract extension until we see the results of Syracuse, BC, Pitt (even if 2 are away from CF) not to mention unc-ch. That would be akin to Coach
    Jones starting me in the ’65 semi-finals over Willie, Jay, or Ray because I made that 25 footer in the blowout win over Mt. Airy in the first round (yes, I still recall vividly the catch and shoot and the jiggle of the net as it passed thru)
    Interesting conversations I hear from ch, who will go first now, Silent Sam or The Hat?

4 weeks ago

I haven’t heard re: that debate… but I wonder if the angry board monkeys on Inside Carolina are ponying up $$$ for the IPF… THAT UNC HAS TO HAVE! I am certain they ARE NOT. Larry’s not on as many “short lists” as he used to be. If an IC lynch mob got its way, I’m sure Larry would want every cent of his contract PAID IN FULL. I sure would.
      With Frau’s history, if CDD is ahead of Syracuse at the half, she’ll hurry down with a 3-year extension and a guarantee from Purcell of a DOME over The Carter.

• Bob Kennel Reply
    4 weeks ago

For some of us it has been a weekend of truth from rightoous game outcomes to typical tweets. I compare White House tweets to Cooper’s goal line idiocy 🤐

4 weeks ago

I have no idea what either of those sentence mean; but I’m sure you would never insult my mamma so what the heck. Maybe I should start using my Navajo codebreakers for your comments too… not just NCSU68. I pay’em by the month so why not.

• JP Reply
    4 weeks ago

Mafia style is a double tap, usually with a .22. There are reasons for this.

4 weeks ago

After the first one, I won’t be around to count.

• ultraviolet Reply
        4 weeks ago

Once heard a story from East Texas during the LBJ administration years about a man investigating Brown and Root. He was found shot 12 times in the head with his own rifle. It was ruled a suicide. No idea if it was true that he was really that depressed or not.

4 weeks ago

Sounds like Hillary’s old friend Vince Foster … committed suicide “with two shots in the back of his head” in Rock Creek Park in DC… also “depressed” and knew where those Rose Law firm files were too.