BL: Oct 1995: OJ NOT GUILTY… Oct 2017: UNCCH NOT GUILTY

Explosion
    October13/ 2017

Oct 1995: OJ “Not Guilty”

Oct 2017: UNCCH “Not Guilty”

and BOOM Goes The Dynamite!

“If the glove don’t fit… you gotta acquit”… no glove like with OJ; but The NCAA somehow decided something didn’t fit so… UNCCH “beats the rap”.   Ain’t that a HOOT?

• If you are an ABCer and hated / despised / loathed “The NCAA” before today, you REALLY hate / despise / loathe “The NCAA” now.
    • If your co-worker / neighbor / no-account brother-in-law was an obnoxious TruBlue a**h*** before today… you ain’t seen nothing yet.
    • If you are an obnoxious TruBlue all your naïve delusions about “your school” and its “Way” are sorta vindicated if not validated.  Al least enough so to ramp up your general obnoxiousness to every ABCer you come in contact with. Your self-worth invested vicariously in your school/team remains as valid as it ever was.

ABCers all around The Globe can rant and rage and fuss and fume and perform all manner of “I’m soooo mad I could…” and most are/will … but It Is What Is It.

ABCers of the Lupine Persuasion can dredge up every minute detail of “what they did to Jimmy V 25 years ago…”, and they surely will, and it won’t change today’s ruling one iota. But do it anyway because…

What do I think?

I think: …“IT” was a rather simple scheme to keep UNC MBBs academically eligible by assuring them of enough credit hours to “stay eligible” for as long as they intended to play intercollegiate basketball. The scheme was in place performing its intended function for 15+ years.

Some of the direct beneficiaries over the 15+ years were academically incapable of doing college-level classwork.  Others simply felt entitled not to have to do so.  Regardless, they didn’t have to…

Was IT, at worst, a victim-less crime like “prostitution” or “smoking dope” or “jaywalking” or “fudging on your taxes”? IT was “manipulating grades to keep a specific group of UNC student-athletes eligible to play basketball”. Compare that to whatever you wish….  The scheme was quickly expanded to include WBB and UNC Football players too.

That UNCCH “student-athletes” of other sports may have benefitted is irrelevant. That frat boys also benefitted is also irrelevant.

Were Deborah Crowder and Burgess McSwain that clever to create a blueprint that could evade circumspection? No, they were not that smart at all… just lucky.

Is the Machiavellian hand of St Dean The All Mighty behind this? I don’t think so in its initial inception.

Did He/Dean know about it? Absolutely but St. Dean was easily able to apply “situational ethics” that it was necessary as some odd form of intellectual reparation for decades of oppression to African-Americans especially ones with exceptional basketball skills.

Once St. Dean massaged it to that point, He had no problem sleeping at night.

Once St. Dean gave “the scheme” His blessing, what Ol’ Roy thought about it from then on didn’t matter. Roy guzzled enough Dean Kool-Aid over the years to believe anything he was told.

What anyone in South Bldg (UNC Admin, Trustees, et al) thought about it or knew about it NEVER mattered at all… and still doesn’t.

Roy could take and pass a polygraph that “Dean was born of a virgin and rose on the 3rd day.” Roy is not the only one over there to believe that of course…

Vince IlleThe name Vince Ille (E-lee)has gone unnoticed in all this. Vince is Bubba Cunningham’s consigliore. The real history of how it all got to today may involve the name Vince Ille more than anyone knows today.

All the other motley crew of characters who have had bit parts in The Great Unpleasantness (TGU) will be cussed, discussed and cussed some more ‘til all the cows are home and bedded down… remember VINCE ILLE… and remember where you heard it first.

Big Time College Athletics has been a dank cesspool of corruption, hypocrisy, lies, more lies and “situational ethics” of the lowest form for many years… even before Marvin Tweeted eight years ago.

Nothing that came down today changes that. Except maybe a few more naïve rah rah fans may realize how corrupt it is.   Some of you think it is only “corrupt… etc” when your school/team loses. No, it is also just as corrupt when your school/team wins. Yeah, I know that is not what you want to hear. Sorry about that…

NOTE:  I have already checked with “my man in Beijing” and guess what.  At least 1,000,000,000 Chinese actually DO CARE about today’s verdict.  St. Dean might be surprised to hear that.

OK… I hereby provide you another among a lot of on-line forums where you can express your feelings about today’s verdict.

If you have all sorts of really kinky conspiracy theories (and surely those are already running rampant across cyber space) feel free to share them with us.

If you get all obscene I WILL edit your comments… but expressing your pleasure or displeasure is fine.

AgentPierce’s Latest  – LINK

Blondie’s Latest  – LINK

• Dale Madren Reply
      1 year ago

What to do about Silent Sam? He should be removed and replaced with a statue of Frank McGuire, who represented what has now been confirmed as the UNC core.

1 year ago

Or maybe Marvin Austin holding a cellphone …

• Tim Moretz (baltimoreheel) Reply
      1 year ago

I’m just really am glad this is over. I’m trying not to over think or over analyze the situation. Simply speaking I’m just glad UNC coaches can get back to being able to recruit with higher expectations. I don’t want 5 5star bb players. Haven’t seen many teams loaded with 5 or 6 freshmen jumping to the NBA next year win national championships. I do like the combination of top young talent with seasoned veterans. Under the “Cloud” was becoming more and more difficult to get that combination. I will just sit back and enjoy the Heels in their more normal environment. If nothing else it is certainly a better option than watching a bunch of overpaid crybabies too rich and too stupid to understand what and how to protest their left wing ideologies. Hopefully the next UNC issue will be far down the road when my biggest priorities will be getting my urethra re-opened and figuring out how to stay out of a nursing home!!

1 year ago

It’ll NEVER be over “over” so long as one hated rival fan breathes oxygen. Some child yet conceived will upon registering for medicare scream out “UNCheats” … and off in the distance will come the cry “AMPHIBIOUS” … and thats just how it is.

• Gear Up Reply
      1 year ago

It’s over, time to move on. NCSU is now creating Country Cookin’ 101, 102, 201 and 202. Just submit a paper with your grand mama’s recipe for your “A” grade. The NCAA is dead. Long live the 21st Century “student athlete”.

The OJ comparison is weak IMHO. No one lost their life, that we know of, in this multi-decade film-flam operation run by the Blue Smurfdom.

1 year ago

I had considered a Hillary comparison but knew Kennel would get all Kenneley” if I did.
        “…that we know of”… are you familiar with Burgess McSwain’s final days? Or what secrets lie with Dean or Coach Gut? OK, Dean “arose on the 3rd day” but Gut is still in his grave probably.

• Gear Up Reply

… and TGU now stands for The Great Unexpectedness… 😀

1 year ago

I think we all knew this was a possibility from Day One. Few if any “expected” a FULL pardon of course…

1 year ago

I’ve switched outcomes in my mind too many times to count. Everything from death penalty to no penalty. One thing though that I’ve maintained from the very beginning is that this was -semantics aside – not the dreaded “lack of institutional control” by UNC under NCAA rules. TCW WAS/IS UNC demonstrating and exercising total institutional control over a program that likely began innocently enough under DES but then morphed into a full athletics eligibility scheme.

1 year ago

Remembering the “I was there” surreal experience of The Martin Report… I don’t believe UNC Admin (“South Bldg”) had a clue what was going on all those years. They were (still are) totally intimidated by UNC Basketball. UNC Football is a non-factor but UNC MBB IS The 500 Gorilla in Chapel Hill… not “The University”.

1 year ago

“I don’t believe UNC Admin (“South Bldg”) had a clue what was going on all those years.” Excellent point I didn’t consider. Agreed that the tail (MBB) is wagging the dog. I know too many true believers in denial that have convinced themselves this was 100% FB driven by Butch Davis and a rogue (John Blake Who?) asst. FB coach. All that drama created for a 4 year 28-23 record? Highly doubtful.

1 year ago

Two totally separate Embarrassing Scandals… The UNC TwoFer. If you are a 50 y/o+ UNC-Lifer and you have to throw either The Butcher or St Dean The Wonderful under the bus… who you gonna throw? Sorry Butcher… you gotta go…

• Tin foil hat heel Reply
      1 year ago

Right or wrong the flagship was duty bound to play this to the bitter end. Even if the hammer had been laid down this would have dragged and the NCAA would have been put in a position to truly be exposed for the hypocrisy it represents. All this proves, much like OJ proved is that in many cases you can spend your way out of any misfortune. Among the neighbors the flagship will forever be UNC-CHeat but the rest of the world had pretty well forgotten already and now the page can finally be turned. YES you can beat city hall!

1 year ago

The hypocrisy of The NCAA has been about as “exposed” as imaginable. This is now the benchmark for NCAA Irrelevance.

• James Taylor Reply
      1 year ago

It appears to me that the NCAA has said to all universities, Go forth, create a Department of Athletic Studies, then you can design a curriculum mostly for athletes (with some other students allowed) in which classes are held in the gym, football field and once in a while in an actual classroom(film studies). No paperwork, no studying, just play ball and get a degree.

1 year ago

Yes sir, THAT is exactly what they are saying. For a fee, Deborah Crowder will come to your campus and show you how to do it too.

• Ken Reply

BL,

You just have to appreciate the UNC announcement from the NCAA on the same day NC State has a player ineligible for taking classes…….So damn funny

1 year ago

BUT BUT BUT… a very strange day ends with CLEMSON LOSES TO SYRACUSE ….

• Bob Kennel Reply
      1 year ago

Just got home late Friday night and have read nothing but BL and friends comments. Wanted either Hammer of Thor to drop or nothing. The latter is not soul satisfying but longer term I will live with it because:
      1. UNC-CH will have a permanent target on it’s back in each game for the obvious unfairness of it all.
      2. The legal and public relations costs are sunk in
      3. Their University leadership is permanently tarnished by reputation.
      4. Roy will still have to deal with “dad-gummed junk” in his recruiting until he retires sooner than later
      5. Biggest hurt will be to just beat then straight up which we’re in better position to do.
      Go Pack !!

1 year ago

Bob, I don’t know that UNCCH bearing that scarlet letter will have the lasting effect you envision. It SHOULD… but we as a society routinely forget and move on… to the next OMG scandal and cultural injustice. There is always “the next one”.
        Also I don’t hold that it will hamper Roy’s recruiting in the least. With who ?? No Diogenes can find an honest man in college recruiting.
        INjustice prevailed today… not the first time nor likely the last… sigh.

• Bob.Kennel Reply
          1 year ago

The Scarlet Letter will last as long as I’m around 😊 If I’m a Carolina fan I might feel relieved, but I sure wouldn’t feel good or justified.
          As for Roy’s recruiting, there’s still a negative edge that’s not going away with the type of person I would want to be recruiting.
          Also, Carolina now knows the world is watching even more closely for them doing something wrong.
          Truly glad I’m not them 😎

1 year ago

What is going to be the real travesty is when a school that is “lesser” in stature (not that you can really get any lower) than UNC-Cheater gets busted for pretty much the same thing and has the book thrown at them. My guess is it will be NC State and the death penalty will be implemented by the schools choice…no lawerying up for them.

1 year ago

ANY school that is even mentioned for any sort of Eligibility / Academic Impropriety is going to set off a “UNC GOT AWAY WITH MUCH WORSE” crescendo across the country. The NCAA just deleted any/all Eligibility / Academic Rules from its infamous Gianormously Bloated Rulebook.
          That said… the eeeevil “bus ticket to granny’s funeral” and “slice of pizza” issues remain.

• Dick Gray Reply
      1 year ago

UNC: Cunningham told CBS Sports, “Is this academic fraud? Yes, it is by a normal person’s standards. But by the NCAA definition [it is not].” https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/north-carolina-ad-lays-out-academic-fraud-defense-ncaa-overcharged-tar-heels/

NCAA (channeling Johnny Cochran): If you don’t give a sh*t, you must acquit.

1 year ago

Not sure how that abridged Cochraneism applies… but Bubba’s quote will likely live forever in NCAA annals… and perhaps in law schools classes.

• Ken Reply
      1 year ago

I completely agree with the NCAA’s decision. They agree that a degree from UNC is just as worthless for the general student as the student athlete.

1 year ago

That’s a creative way of assessing this mess.

• Da judge in Charlotte Reply
      1 year ago

I am reminded of the time Joe Namath was asked by a reporter if it was true that he took basket weaving at Alabama. Joe replied that Basket weaving was too tough so he majored in journalism. 😄
      Seriously, as a UNC grad, I find little to celebrate in the NCAA ruling. Except for a few undergrads, we can no longer claim we have student athletes.

1 year ago

I wonder how prevalent that attitude is going to be among the alumni/fan base. You and I feel that way but we may be in the minority.

• ENC#1 Reply
      1 year ago

I have one question for the NCAA …..what took so long? Great show by the NCAA gave all the ABCers hope but as we all know it is not over until the fat lady sings or an administrator/secretary says “I treat everybody the same”.

I was told one time many employees of the NCAA have law degrees…. so I guess the reason it took so long they wanted to make some money for a or several law firms…..I am starting to understand this organization known as the NCAA.

1 year ago

It truly has been Great Theater.

1 year ago

Well, I think at some point we had to know the fix was in. Plus, how many of the NCAA lawyers were “educated” at UNC-Cheater? Think about that for awhile.

1 year ago

Sorry Doug, not buying that worn out line. UNC certainly hired the best attys $$$ could buy but they were not UNC Law grads, neither is Vince Ille or Ken Wainstein. To my knowledge none of the NCAA staff attys were UNCLaw. The humans that made the ruling were The COI Committee based on the Nashville hearing… NCAA member representatives, ADs, etc. No UNCLaw there either.
          I blast ESPN’s CEO John Skipper (UNC’75) every day for his various executive shortcoming but THIS was not a UNCLaw conspiracy. Now did Swofford and Delany wield their influence along the way …. “possibly”.

1 year ago

As “today” sinks in… we really have NOT seen all that many “eligibility issues” in Big Time College FB/MBB lately other than this Forever Mess. They USED to be regular issues, but very rare now.
      We KNOW that is NOT because “academics” is now important OR that schools are actually recruiting student-athletes remotely qualified to do base level college classwork. The WHY must be that every Power Five school is finding creative ways to keep their thug-aletes eligible for the 2-3 years they are on campus.
      Whether its “Fake Classes” or tutors doing the work (THAT has been going on for a very looooong time) or totally bogus curriculums… or other creative work-arounds… they ARE working around “eligibility”.
      That said… there are still all the sexual assaults, gang rapes, hazing, drugs, guns, DUIs, illegal $$$ etc etc etc ,,, but not many “eligibility issues” any more… Interesting, huh?

• fayettewuf Reply
        1 year ago

Of course all of that is true. Everyone is chasing the same people. They used to feature lineups of football players with their majors before big games on television. You would see a lot of players with the same major on lots of teams. It was seldom mathematics, electrical engineering, chemistry, pre-med or the like. Usually it was something like parks and recreation, sociology, communication or the like. I doubt if this has changed. I think UNC found its friendly major and exploited it much more than most. I think UNC attracted interest when it, for some reason, put Julius Pepper’s transcript in a place where it could not only be seen identified as his. Then when Ms. Willingham and Dr. Smith publicized their concerns.

1 year ago

Don’t discount the on-line sleuthing by the guys at PackPride or one of those NCSU fansites.

• fayettewuf Reply
            1 year ago

They were the ones that found Julius’ transcript and deduced it was indeed his. I am still marveling at the stupidity 1) of using a real student’s transcript and 2) picking his.

1 year ago

Maybe the same as thug-aletes behave… assuming they are bullet-proof. No one would EVER accuse UNCCH of academic impropriety. Right?

1 year ago

My favorite Tweet of the day about TGU comes from Alabama football writer Cecil Hurt. The irony of an Alabama Crimson Tide sportswriter jabbing UNC and the NCAA does not escape me.

“If this sort of outrage happens again I fully expect the NCAA to form a committee.”

1 year ago

When all is said and done… nothing will have changed. The NCAA, like lawyers, has heard all the jokes about it… and doesn’t care. It perseveres.

1 year ago

Imagine my dismay that about the time this piece went up, we were taking off for a weekend at da beach. Traffic heading west was much greater than traffic heading east. And abracadabra, the NCAA moves on and poof, there also goes the Pulitzer opportunity for “that damn Dan Kane.” Do tell us more about Vince.

1 year ago

Vince Ille has been “the guy in the back room… in the shadows”) from Day One. Vince has been Bubba’s consigliere for 4+ years used to be a NCAA goon so he knew the schematics of NCAA HQ like no one else. He was always three steps ahead of the NCAA goon squad. A UNCCH Asst Legal Beagle named Steve Keadey has also been a busy little beaver the past year or so.

• ultraviolet Reply
      1 year ago

With apologies to Johnny Cochran, “Though the classes ain’t legit, you still must acquit!”

KUDOS! I LOVE IT!

• Ron Zwart Reply
      1 year ago

Wonder how long the SEC and the other football big boys decide to pull the plug and form their own rules and destroy the ncaa

1 year ago

That threat has been floated for quite some time. Not sure “this” moves that needle at all. Among other messages today sends is:
        “We (NCAA) don’t have any say so in how you keep your semi-literate thug-aletes eligible… just do what you have to o… OK”

1 year ago

Is there really any such thing as “eligible” at this point? Really, they have totally recused themselves from whether the athletes take a class or not. That said, I am not sure how they can insert themselves at NC State. The pack needs to lawyer up, and use this as a precedent.

1 year ago

Thats a decision for Randy and Frau …

• MikeWolf Reply
      1 year ago

Hey BobLee! The NCAA had a weak legal case, so I have no issue with its decision to drop its sword today. So, UNC’s actual punishment for an academic scandal that helped keep some players eligible in football and basketball was a 12-month probation in June 2015 by a University accreditation organization. It’s kind of hard to chant “accreditation probation” at UNC fans, and I didn’t even know how University accreditation worked until that happened. I suppose congrats are in order for UNC pulling off such a good scheme.

1 year ago

I suppose so. This one will be discussing debated and discussed some more for A LONG TIME.

• Dudley Moore Reply

BL

To paraphrase Jerry Tarkanian, The NCAA was so mad at UNC for their bogus classes that they ruled an NC State freshman ineligible for attending a real class.

DM

1 year ago

Cleveland State was not available so they found “another State”.

• OldWuf Vet Reply
      1 year ago

I felt like our younger alumni and students were getting a little soft when it came to hatred of all things UNCheat. I think the UNC propaganda even had an effect on them. They didn’t understand us ’70’s and ’80’s alumni. This should help stoke the fires

1 year ago

THat’s certainly an interesting “take” on the situation. I don’t interact with that demographic enough to know. Maybe results in a few extras TDs in an expected rout in late November.

• DrJay Reply
      1 year ago

I, and many UNCers, are not claiming that we are “not guilty” of anything. Certainly the University exercised little or no oversight over the AFAM department and classes for far too long, and that was not a good thing at all. And SACS did put the University on probation for that until they were convinced that it had been straightened out. Today’s ruling simply says this was outside the purview of the NCAA and that under its own rules the NCAA could not find anything it could punish. Again, it is not a ruling of “not guilty” – just that any determination of “guilt” belongs to another court.

1 year ago

I appreciate the various semantics involved. Not all TruBlues are gloating and claiming “A GREAT VICTORY” but many are and will be for some time. That ilk will go ALLCAPS. Their counterparts with “hated rivals” will respond in like fashion… sigh, sniff.
        Big Time College Athletics is a VERY CORRUPT cesspool to go swimming in… maybe no more corrupt this afternoon than it was 24 hours ago… but certainly no less so.

• TJ,84 Reply
      1 year ago

BL, are you a proponent of the theory that UNC BB’s popularity on TV was a factor in giving them a pass… just as they (NCAA) would do for Duke… or Kentucky?

1 year ago

That is a popular knee-jerk conspiracy theory with many; but, No not with me. The NCAA IS a corrupt joke and deserves eery bit of ridicule it gets times 100… but I DO NOT think this verdict was effected by UNC’s vaunted TV value. … But I support any/all Conspiracy THeories… the goofier the better.

• Wolfdon Reply
      1 year ago

As brilliant as you are, it didn’t take genius to see the OJ angle as I thought of that immediately……but then I don’t have a blog 😊

1 year ago

Never said it was My Copyrighted Idea… but I had not seen it when I started writing as the BREAKING NEWS broke. Great minds think alike… only so many ways to skin so many cats…

• fayettewuf Reply
      1 year ago

Glad it is over. I got tired of reading the wild expectations of death penalties and banner burning a long time ago. My take is that in terms of preserving the symbols of athletic glory, the 20+million was well spent. The thing that surprised me was the apparent lack of resistance from the academic administration to having its reputation dragged through the sewer for the sake of athletics. Harvard of the South, Public Ivy and the Carolina Way are now punchlines.

I will be interested to see how schools that have been punished for far less impropriety over shorter periods of time react to this. After all, the NCAA is the member schools’ employee.

1 year ago

How this reverberates in “The Academy” will be interesting for sure. In its loftiest towers they despise Athletics and always have so nothing new there. Every school EVER guilty of anything can now ask for a retrial based on “UNC got away with all its crap so…”.

All the schools ever penalized for “the bus tickets to Granny’s funeral” and the “slice of pizza” oughta REALLY be pissed today.
        A whole new level of YEEEEE HA! just began…

1 year ago

My guess is they can try that defense, but the price of entry seems to be $20M….so there are many schools with lesser endowments and not state supported who cannot afford to spend that much. So sad.

1 year ago

It comes down to a handful of VERY Fat Cats with VERY Deep Pockets… with MASSIVE EGOS and addiction to BRAGGING RIGHTS. I’m not sure having such Egos running one’s school as puppet masters is a good situation.

• Former96heel Reply
      1 year ago

So now the NCAA has stamped the precedent that an institution can get by with sham academics, as long as they include non-athletes (and it may also have to be in a Lib friendly major, not PE classes allowed)? It still has me shaking my head that only one chose to toss the academic reputation under the wheels to make some RC’ers feel better about their beloved MBB program. I do estimate the over 15,000 students took Drama 15 and/or 16 over the past twenty years as a GPA pad. Not many would know how many athletes were there, as attendance was usually on par with the Kenan ratio. About 50% fanny in the seat to registered students.
      How long before ORW start courting the former Louisville recruits? Is it too early to apply for a hardship transfer for the one Freshman there?

1 year ago

College in general is a lot easier than it used to be especially at Lib Arts schools with all their Useless Courses In Useless Majors… “participation diplomas” like in youth ports.
        Getting it right is still important at STEM schools where mistakes result in bridges, buildings etc falling down or blowing up.. or in veterinary… animals dying. etc.

• Frank.Linstreet Reply
      1 year ago

Be honest BL. Did you have the OJ simile all prepared, ready to go weeks ao?

1 year ago

Believe it or not Frank, I did not. It came to me as I watched The “WRAL guy” Jeff Whozit “report live” at 11:00. Once I had “OJ” then it all flowed like warm honey.
        I really expected “a hefty fine” and a lot of blah blah BS. Instead NO fine but a lot of blah blah BS.
        I’m guessing the handful of Really Deep Pocket UNC Fat Cats who were all ready to fork over $$$ to pay the “hefty fine” can now fork over their $$$ to build Larry his $36,000,000 IPF Palace of Bling. … then maybe Larry’s “buy-out”… OUCH!

• Jerry.in.Jersey Reply
      1 year ago

Didn’t The NCAA just tell every “member institution” how to avoid any/all eligibility issues in the future?

1 year ago

Yes. But to be fair, most “member institutions” have figured out various ways to do it on their own. Recruiting student-athletes capable of doing even basic college classroom work was discarded as impractical years ago. This will now be “The Carolina Way” and will be the legal precedent henceforth. I can see Deborah Crower becoming a “consultant” to all schools rushing to set this scheme up on their campus.

• Sandinista Reply
          1 year ago

So where is your crusade against all the other schools who are already offering far easier classes?

(Wait—easy classes? At a university? The horror!)

It’s clear from your prose that you’ve at least read some books or maybe even took some classes on proper writing. At one point you likely even dreamt of becoming a proper writer.

Pity that never worked out and now you’ve resorted to bitterly typing tripe like this for clicks on a blog.

You’re too old to have been at Carolina when this first started, and you certainly weren’t there at the height of it, so you don’t know the first thing about its genesis or motives.

Do you, Bobby?

Most of the claims you make are straight out of NC State fans’ wet dreams.

Your whole thesis relies on the premise of everyone having lied—lied to Martin, lied to Wainstein, lied to the N&O (on the rare occasions Kane bothered asking anyone outside of his usual three sources), lied to the NCAA, lied to the 879 other investigators on the topic.

If you truly believe this is what happened, that UNC was able to orchestrate a conspiracy of these massive proportions, involving hundreds of student athletes who all said the same thing to multiple investigators, then—

Where does anyone get off whining about UNC cheating them out of an education?

If these “dumb athletes,” as your ilk loves to call them, were able to pull off a greater scheme than most business leaders and political leaders at the highest levels in the country are able to get away with, then sorry, but that takes… drumroll… education!

In fact, if what you claim is true, that they all lied in a coordinated effort, then we should call every one of those students back right now and replace each of their AFAM course grades with a PhD in politics. If they happened to take 20 Final Fours, I mean 20 AFAM courses, then guess what—now they got 20 PhDs.

You’re the one asserting all this, Rob.

I’m just full considering the implications of what you were so desperate to hit “publish” on. Ah, “publish.” That word must haunt someone like you, eh? Nevermind that.

The point, Berty, until you provide evidence to back up any of your claims, you’re never gonna be better than precisely that which you love to tell yourself you’re above—

You’re still just a mouthy conspiracy theorist on a message board and nothing more.

Sorry, Bob—

Would love to pretend to take you seriously, but until you give me a reason to I can’t even do that.

But cheers—have a good day and good luck with the writing!

Thanks for sharing.

• bobh Reply
      1 year ago

If I were to send my diploma back as a sign of protest, to whom would I best send it?

1 year ago

Don’t bother. Just douse it with lighter fluid and a Zippo. I misplaced mine 35 years ago. It lost any meaning after I got my first real job.

• Babs.in.Derm Reply
      1 year ago

I told a friend that I highly doubted we would get hit. NCAA postured as long as they could. It did come down to other students taking those classes. If the class had been strictly designated for athletes, may have been a different story. Not that this is right, but that’s how they got out of giving out sanctions. Yes, the ABCer’s are not happy on this Friday the 13th!

1 year ago

NOT a good day to walk The Brickyard or be in West Rawlee at all wearing anything light blue…
        Angry Wuffs wearing hockey masks and waving machetes are on the prowl fer sure.

• Babs.in.Derm Reply
          1 year ago

Wonder how pissed Rick Pitino is right now!

1 year ago

Rick and Boeheim too. Even Dickie V is beside himself. The first wave of OMG!! has hit the on-line national sports sites. Its NOT a pretty site. The reverberation across American Sports is seismic… at least a 8.5 of The Richter Scale.
            All Power Five schools rushing to add “Fake Classes” to their curriculum for the Spring Semester… at least those who don’t already have them in place.

• Setarcos Reply
      1 year ago

Lifetime ABCer here, but have a kid there so I’ve mellowed. Leaving the state for a few years and witnessing Alabama football fans up close and personal contributed greatly to my relaxed stance towards UNC.

I have not studied all the aspects of this saga, but involving Af Am studies was pure genius …or the luckiest move ever. Sort of like a company using the poison pill strategy …make that multiple poison pills with nuclear backup. With that element in play, even with the best of intentions (I know that’s a stretch), there was no way the NCAA could navigate without risking lethal incoming.

1 year ago

This “IT” could have happened in many many Power Five schools and probably is happening today… but it DID happen for 15+ years at UNCCH and they got away with it. … and Life goes on… hopefully.

• RowdyBlueTarHeeler Reply
      1 year ago

How long does UNC have to sue the ncaa for damages over their malfeasance?

1 year ago

I imagine they will wait until the confetti has been swept from the floor of The DD and the champagnes wiped up.

• DrVinnyboombatz Reply
      1 year ago

Today’s ruling does not change both WHO and WHAT, the athletics department and booster club associated with a university located in Orange County, NC is, was and always will be.

1 year ago

True Dat!… THAT was never for The NCAA to judge.

1 year ago

As previously posted….on one of your columns….
      There was a higher probability that Gary Hahn (Voice of WPSN) could free climb the lighted RED Bell Tower and then shout “SCORE” for 45 minutes without taking a breath than that the NCAA would vacate anything…..which was meant to construe…..NOTHING….
      There WILL be some interesting “student reactions” later this year. Nothing gained, but interesting.
      I guess that the $20 Million or so of “Non-Directed Excess Earnings” cash greased some skids. This is truly a sad day for college athletics. BUT, like HRC, UNC will never be CONVICTED.
      Probably gonna irritate a LOT of college Prez’s and AD’s….but they will hold their tongues (whilst bent over an appropriate barrel or other piece of furniture for a Harvey Weinstein pleasure trip)…..
      The fact that AD Yow and Chanc Woodson have not called a presser to demean and bemoan and call out the lads and lasses from CH is all that the BM’s of the Wuffie Clan can post.
      AT LEAST the NCAA did not go into excruciating details, ah la, James Comey, and THEN not do anything.
      Folks are calling for Tweets from the Chief Tweeter In Charge…..calling out the NCAA like he has done the NFL. RIGHT….but you never know….

1 year ago

For sure the “suggestions” for “We/They Oughta….” will be many and colorful and certainly profane. This is Sports version of Nov 9, 2016 as Reality bites and won’t let go.

• JD Reply
      1 year ago

The best thing about today was getting a text from a friend that is no fan of Tar Heel athletics telling me “The Hammer is going to fall today on UNC” literally 5 minutes before the news broke. This is the same friend that hit send on his text to me as Kris Jenkins turned loose of his title winning dagger with a LAUGHING EMOJI. Well he who laughs last laughs best! Yes we all know that UNC is guilty as Hell, and there is no justice in the world, but those are the breaks. The NCAA should re-write their bylaws today so this can be punished next time. They can call it the “Dean Smith Rule”.

1 year ago

If my comparison with OJ stands the test of time… OJ DID eventually “do time” so maybe UNCCH will indeed “pay for its sins” eventually. UNCCH is hardly the first defendant to “walk” and not the last.

• DrVinnyboombatz Reply
          1 year ago

OJ is a very correct comparison.

1 year ago

BRILLIANT was my first thought. Even Blondie agreed and she is my toughest critic.

• JD Reply
            1 year ago

I like the Hillary comparison better. Guilty as Hell and above the law.

1 year ago

Here’s my reasoning… EVERYBODY agrees that OJ DID IT… I can even get Lib loonies to go with the OJ comparison. If I use HRC, I lose Kennel and his Krazies… Us Legends have to think like that. 🙂 … But Yes you are correct that HRC works too.

• JP Reply
          1 year ago

I see a RICO Act investigation in their future.

Works for me!