BL: Is Sports about The Journey or just The Destination? … Plus SACS stuff

College Football Playoffs
November12/ 2017

Is Sports, for YOU, about  The Journey or just The Destination?

… Plus SACS stuff

Several vitally important issues I should cover in-depth today but in-depth columns tend to scare certain factions of reader/viewers.   Website marketing consultants advise against in-depth columns unless they are sprinkled liberally (bad choice of adverbs) with pictures of nubile cheerleaders with their hair flying around.

I have from Day One been a fan of the Football Final Four concept. I strongly oppose expanding to six, eight… thirty-two teams but it probably will expand because sports marketers tend to be forever killing golden egg laying geese.

Now that Big Time College Football is officially into the Unofficial Playoff To The Playoffs, this Saturday was wear-out-the-remote day for sure. Champagne Wishes & Caviar Dreams were being squashed all over the place.

Kirby wasn’t quite as “Smart” as the Athens’ “Hedge” Fund crowd were hoping. But Kirby’s never-really-appreciated predecessor Mark Richt seems to have found love among the mangroves of Greater Dade County.

Another almost-but-not-quite year for the Horned Frogs as OU’s Wunderkin Coach Lincoln Riley is poised to be the first Head Coach in College Football’s Final Four who was TWO MONTHS old when Doug Flutie threw his Hail Mary to beat “The U” in the Orange Bowl in 1984.

NC State escaped chilly Chestnut Hill with a W but now must go to Groves/ BB&T before another “crowd” (?) of under 30K to face the point-a-minute Deacons of another coach named Dave.

Did I see where Wake’s “coach named Dave” is showing up on short-lists for coaching vacancies at the 6-8 places currently with vacancies? Deacon Dave won’t excite deranged fans too much at Tennessee, Arkansas unless he changes his name to Jon Gruden or Chip Kelly et al but he is young, cheap and apparently pretty darn good at getting the most out of 3-star talent.

Schools formally harboring Champagne Wishes are seeing those Wishes dashed on the jagged rocks of reality… can you say Georgia, Notre Dame, TCU, Ohio State, Penn State and the entire Pac-12… it begs the question…

Is following your team of choice only about The Final Destination or is it about The Journey… ever how far that journey might be?

Only ONE team will make confetti-angels on the floor of wherever the College Super Bowl is this year.

Is it a zero-sum game?

More than a few Wolfpackers were playing “what if” during September and October… and rightfully so. Now, in mid-November, those Champagne Wishes are Michelob Wishes… 9-3 probably… a Mythical State Championship… and a TaxSlayer/Weedeater/Camping World Christmas in Apalachicola… and, of course, a Best Buy swag bag.

It’s a heck of a lot better than all those ubiquitous 6-7 Win seasons for darn sure. “Almost beating Dabo… again” and having more than just “another NFL QB” for roster talent.

No Swoff Bowl… no Orange Bowl… no rings unless DD and Frau want to make up some reason to give them out. I recall Larry Fedora gave out Division Champion rings two years ago but DD and Frau can’t say that… yet.

Would that be enough to stoke Pack Pride? I don’t know. I’m asking. Has “The Journey” been fun or was it all about The Destination?

Certainly, if there is a stumble with either Wake, or the visiting Fedorians (YIKES!), this whole question is moot.

I wonder what Georgia, TCU, Penn State and Ohio State fans would say.

BobLee’s Final Four Today would be Alabama… Miami… Oklahoma… Wisconsin.

I see “The U” taking out Dabo in three weeks wherever The Swoff Bowl is being played this year. Somewhere that little boys and little girls can all pee together I suppose.

Here is “a Ponder”…. will there be more fans at Groves/BBT for State/Wake… or at Kenan for The Catamounts’ historic  visit “amid the lofty pines”?  Smart $$$ says more at Groves/BBT…

What was your reaction to “That Damn Dan” Kane’s story this week about how UNCCH escaped even a wrist slap from the NCAA by saying “it was all JUST a 20-year ACADEMIC Scandal”… which, one would think, would be of special interest to the SACS?

How many of you’ans even know what the acronym SACS stands for? I guarantee if ONE of you does that is one more than the number of Hall-of-Fame BB coaches at UNC that knows… or gives a damn.

The N&O should do a Jay-Walking poll on Franklin Street about The SACS… what it stands for and what does “accreditation” mean anyway?”  The” Don’t Know & Don’t Give A Damn” Factor would be very high.

SACS

I bet they would get more correct answers asking UNCers how to spell “Krzyzewski”… or Doherty… or Guthridge.

“Damn Dan” tweeted about how the possibility of UNC throwing their Academics under the bus to SAVE THE BANNERS might turn out to bite them in the butt. Obviously, it Could and Should in a sane world.   This disgusting mess left “a sane world” about 4-5 years ago.

… at the moment Governor Jim Martin told the UNC Trustees… “No, I did not talk to Coach Williams about any of this because I figured he was too busy…”.

Everything went down the rabbit hole after that.  It was like adults talking in a Charlie Brown Peanuts movie… wah Peanuts Adultswah wah wah wah….

The Save Our Precious Banners Crowd at UNC have never cared about anything but (1) Saving The Banners… and (2) Roy being able to sign 5-stars again.. They have both of those now. Chihuahua is on her own with the SACS whatever.

Now that said… “Accreditation” IS, apparently, REALLY REALLY important to Chancellor Chihuahua and her oh-so-pretentious faculty squirrels. It affects “federal research grants” and boring administrative crap like that.

To an Academaniac, being tenured at an UNaccredited college is like being Provost at Uncle Ralph’s Barber College & Tatt Parlour.  Not anything you brag about at a 30-year high school reunion…

Regardless of all the “could” and “should”, Damn Dan’s points are valid.

If it wasn’t an Athletic Scandal then it WAS a 20-year Academic Scandal.  All Dan has to do is get his hands on a copy of the Nashville transcript where Chihuahua tells the NCAA “It was ALL Academic… and not Athletic so PLEASE don’t take our banners”…

Then, of course, the SACS has to have the “fortitude” to drop its hammer. That simply is NOT likely to happen.

I’d pay cash money to watch an info-babe stick a live mic in Roy’s face and ask…

“Coach Williams, what does “accreditation” mean?”

Wouldn’t you?

Blondie has a Great Column about Hallmark Christmas Movies…

More of BobLee -Link

Blondie

Blondie’s Latest  – LINK

NCNV

• Dr Wire Reply
    1 day ago

The unX use of their version of the truth depending on the audience is classic administrative double speak, but it has worked so far in protecting Dean’s legacy.
    Would love to see NCAA Compliance Staff and SACS Accreditation Committee have a joint “let’s go thru this one more time” session with the unX legal team and their administrative groupies where one answer to both groups simultaneously would make for interesting reality TV. Would not happen, but no justice, no peace?

1 day ago

I have long maintained that “protecting Dean’s legacy” was the #1 “WE MUST” from Day One. So much of so many egos are tied to that, and it all came out when he could do nothing to rebuild that legacy. His fingerprints were all over The Eligibility Scam for either Omission or Commision.
      You have to give the UNC Crisis Team credit for the whole double talk defense. (1) IT WORKED… and (2) IT WORKED.

• wolfdon Reply
    4 days ago

20 year academic scandal? No way, that was just a typo…

4 days ago

After 15+ years does it really matter how long it went on? Or is it measured by “how many banners did it facilitate?”

• wolfdon Reply
        4 days ago

I think you missed my sarsacsm , typo was in reference to the alibi used to defend UNC from thebNCAA questioning the admission to SACS that the courses were phony.

4 days ago

All of TGU has been unbridled sarcasm. Since The Martin Report it’s been the World’s Longest Running SNL Skit. Even longer if we go back to Marvin hitting SEND. Wonder where Ol’Marv is these days. Bodyguarding a famous rapper, maybe?

4 days ago

Some lucky ACC team could win the bowl lottery this year by getting selected to play in the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl on December 21st in St. Petersburg Fla. Apparently the St Pete Dome is vying for the all-time title of worst bowl name in the history of history to go along with the worst venue. The game’s slogan should be “We ain’t Shreveport but we got game.”

4 days ago

The folks at Poulan just got demoted to #2 All-time .,..

• Former96Heel Reply
        4 days ago

I work with someone who years ago would volunteer for the Bowl Committee for one of the early Orlando bowl games. He got press box access and a badge to pin on his blazer for the official-ness of it. Anything for a free buffet and parking passes, I guess. Even though every slot is locked in by a conference tie-in now, I wonder if they still have Bowl Committees?

4 days ago

I have a buddy who was on The Peach Bowl Committee for many years. Yes… he did get to keep his peach-colored blazer… that he had to buy.

• ultraviolet Reply
          4 days ago

“If your marketing department has 100k in it’s budget, we have (barely) TV exposure waiting just for you!”

Hollywooders, politicians, and college athletics departments are always willing to expose themselves even if just to a small, select few.

4 days ago

With due respect and abhorrence for the current rash of sexual harassment incidents… I think ALL THAT started waaaay back before last Nov 8th. Even before Caligula. Again… if only Eve had not eaten that apple.

• TS Reply
    5 days ago

So many good one liners in this one BL, from having the Swoff Bowl played where the boys and girls can pee together, to asking Williams about the importance of accreditation!!

5 days ago

Thank you. Roy is always an easy foil… and Swoffy too. “shooting fish in a barrel…”

• Former96Heel Reply
    5 days ago

I have no idea what SACS is or does, but I do know my degree is less than toilet paper if it came from one of those banner-type online places, so I would rather UNC not go there. But if I had to guess, the academic solution is to create an entire hierarchy of academic-athletic oversight boards and committees, maybe add 4-5 Provost positions. A building would be nice, but if there is no building to be had, they need prime quad window access. The closer to the middle, the more power, right?
    I would guess it is not about the direct payoff, but the commitment to creating an even more jumbled and self-sustaining bureaucracy, that would satisfy SACS. I cannot in a million years imagine anyone there being a lean thinker whatsoever.
    I think for the have-not programs, it is about the journey, but once your team gets the gold, it is all about the destination. Bama fans could care less about making the Playoff now. Miss it, and someone is calling in to Finebaum wanting to take down a Saban statue. Clemson will be right there as well. Miss the playoff, and orange Board Monkey is going to be questioning whether Danny Ford has a few years left in him, and if Dabo will be a coordinator for him. I still think that in any given season, only 20 teams have a chance to win a championship. That means 100 programs are in the mushy middle and 20+ are perennial cannon fodder. For them, it will always remain about the journey. Until a TCU or State or Cal or someone from the middle actually wins the championship, I will remain convinced. That theory is back-tested all the way to GaTech and Colorado from around 1990.

5 days ago

EXCELLENT COMMENTS… I detect several decades of BLS influence in your astute analysis… 🙂
      In addition to adding several more Provost, maybe a dozen more Asst Vice Vice Chancellors of Communications all with 6-figure salaries. Head PR Guy – Joel Curan has a large staff payroll that Fedora. YIKES!
      Situations like Oregon w/ Chip Kelly do emerge now/then but invariably burn-out with Super Coach leaving to NFL or multiple recruiting felonies. When the smoke clears it is the 10-12 Juggernauts programs that endure. 3-4 of The Juggernauts are usually standing on a banana peel for various reasons. If St Nick EVER loses 2 regular season games his statue will topple like Saddam Hussein’s… and Nick knows that. … Tuff Bizness…

• Former96Heel Reply
        5 days ago

Zero sum game for sure. For every UGA, ND, or Penn State up, a Nebraska, FSU, or Tennessee goes down. The ultimate see saw.
        I do find myself hoping one of the outsiders gets a chance to grab the ring one day. I think it is what makes March Madness so special, is that so many think they have a chance, even if it is a small one. There are dozens of programs out there that may actually explode from pride if they ever broke through. Schools like WVU, Kansas St, Va Tech come to mind.

5 days ago

As discussed a few weeks ao… Big Time Football both pro and college is A Battle of Attrition. Who has the better Walking Wounded come November, much less Dec and January? A Larry Bird can still carry an Indiana State on his back to the NCAA BB Finals but it requires a Miracle for a handful of skill players to overcome “attrition in the trenches” in Football.
          When a legendary program like Nebraska falls into mediocrity it effects an entire state. I was reading about Tennessee’s mess this AM. Turning that aircraft carrier around is going to take some major recruiting shenanigans… and, as Lane Kiffin discovered… MANY eyes will be watching every shenanigan.

• ENC#1 Reply
    5 days ago

SACS another way for educators to make parents and students think they are getting the best education around. UNC-CH will tell them it is an athletic problem and SACS leaves Chapel Thrill believing every word of it….sounds familiar does it not? Much to do about nothing ….poor Damn Dan Kane. Maybe Bubba gets some more money!!!!

5 days ago

IMO all of Academia is fluff and feathers. There is little to zero “there” there… but within their make-believe world “accreditation” is valued.

• fayettewuf Reply
        4 days ago

I am sorry to hear that you wasted your money and time going to UNC. Me, I was exposed to people who, in history classes that led me to read and think about the important influences on what is happening now, in sociology classes I learned to look at groups differently, in English I learned to write in a more effective way, in mathematics I was led to think more logically, in statistics I learned what we can and cannot infer from research. Of course there were classes that were a total waste of time. Of course there are very smart people who are self educated and who are wise and perceptive. But for me, college was valuable.
        As for SACS, I have served on accreditation teams that worked along side SACS teams. I know what SACS does and does not. Accreditation teams basically keep schools honest. They are not there to punish. They point out when the schools are not doing what they say they are doing and give the schools the opportunity to fix it. Preparation for SACS is very expensive and time consuming. Earning a revisit is not to desired. Being placed on probation causes a lot of crying and gnashing of teeth. Removing accreditation is the nuclear event. For a school like UNC, it would be catastrophic. The amount of money they get in grants for research dwarfs the money athletics brings in Carolina.
        In the big picture, UNC did outrageous things to keep athletes eligible.I don’t think they lowered the bar for 99.9% of the students. I do not think that SACS would seriously consider nuking them over any of this The people who are pulling hard for this really don’t consider the ramifications.

4 days ago

“wasted your (my) time and money going to UNC…” ?? Who said that?
          When I “went to college” at UNCCH in the late 60s” there was this quite wonderful concept called General College that EVERY student had to navigate thru. Even Rusty Clark, John Swofford, Larry Miller, Charlie Scott, et al. Hellfire, even Roy Williams had to do it. It was a 2-year curriculum of Science / Math / English / History AND Foreign Language. Some courses were harder than others but in total it was For Real College classes taught mostly by for-real full-time college instructors. Depending on what “major” one went into one’s Jr year, those first two years might have been the toughest academic trials one experienced. My four semesters of Latin have stuck with me 50 years later.
          Whatever academic abomination UNC has become… it was NOT so “back then”. I once asked Holden Thorp why UNC had gotten away from that first two-years General College concept. He hemmed and hawed and finally admitted “It WAS a darn good concept”. Indeed it was.
          As I frequently reiterate, I have estranged myself from UNCCH for largely ideological reasons. But that does not effect the socio-cultural rite of passage I experienced there. If The SACS shuts it down and nukes the campus and salts the ground it sits on… it has no effect on my experience there many years ago… so I have no clue what you mean by “wasted my time and money”. FWIW… I have no clue where my UNCCH diploma might be. No one has asked me for it since I was 24 y/o.
          I agree with you that this “what if” about SACS dropping a hammer on UNCCH for its truck-load of TGU indiscretions is nothing but silly hypothesizing. Nothing will come of it.

• fayettewuf
            4 days ago

I misinterpreted your academics are fluff comment. The fact that the way schools have changed somewhat the first two year experience’s name does not mean there are not core requirements for the same courses as before. I do not know what you think has changed essentially. Schools with which I am familiar, still have the same core requirements. English, humanities, science, math, maybe a foreign language etc.
            SACS is becoming more and more a pain. Have you ever read Parkinson’s Law?

4 days ago

No, but I know far too many friends who have his (Parkinson’s) disease.
            The way Holden described UNC’s current “General College” to me did not sound much like what I recall. I could be mistaken.

5 days ago

Interesting take on the New Years rituals. Four seems fair. That is how many of the NASCAR boys are racin’ for the CUP next Sunday. That is about the fan count locally since Jimmy Goodmon started holding his breath and rolling around on the floor wanting more $ for his FREE signal paid for by advertisers that are reaching a smaller audience
    Finley to the NFL? Don’t know. Jacoby Brissette looked on and off today as the Steelers stole one from the Colts. If Finley was drafted, I think that NCSU would hold an NCAA record for QB. As to our expectations…..we are still waiting for Lucy to yank the ball. But DD is trying to find out about her eligibility. Was actually pulling for a tie in Heinz stadium. Fightin’ Fedoras needed some stress relief. The Doeren Bowl may be the focus for the next two weeks. Jimbo surely did nothing to put us in the Swoff Bowl. Jimbo did publicly embarrass his not hot stand in QB. I thought for a moment, he was going to take away his uni and make him walk back to Florida. But, since it would cost FSU $40 Million, there ain’t no for sale in front of Jimbo’s bachelor pad. Maybe he be suffering from the Gottfreid syndrome.
    Your guesstimate of the fans last Thursday night qualifies you to join Rev BB’s logistics estimator squad. Paid attendance was just under 35K. Actual? Maybe 10K. It was fugly.

5 days ago

Even my Navaho is confused… did I mention anything about attendance at Heinz Field ??? Pitt, BC, Wake, Kenan are not exactly “hard tickets” to get.
      As for Jimbo v Gottfried… with The Fishers, it was Candi who had the itch that required scratching.

• JD Reply
    5 days ago

Did Fedora’s “signature win” Thursday night get him back on the short list of all his favorite destinations Florida, Tennessee, and Texas A&M?

5 days ago

Don’t be taking those WCU Catamounts lightly. Larry could be caught looking ahead to Showdown @ The Carter!

• JD Reply
        5 days ago

Over or Under 20,000 fans in attendance for the clash with WCU?

5 days ago

THAT is a “pick’em” for sure. If the weather forecast is at all chilly or un-nice then definitely “under”. This could be RECORD-SETTING if Groves/BBT has more in-house than Kenan … and THAT could happen.

5 days ago

The U appears to be back. Convicts vs Catholics II was a longtime coming for both teams. Coach would probably not like the video of new Irish Defensive Coordinator (former WF DC) Mike Elko liberally tossing F Bombs to describe the Canes’ turnover chain celebration to his players. It kinda went viral. Good Catholics and Baptists everywhere blushed at the 18 second clip.Snowflakes melted. The turnover bling is refreshingly goofy and entertaining and the Canes have a lot of fun with it. Now that the nation is aware of it I’m sure the NCAA will want to step in and somehow ban the sideline celebration because the NCAA is really adept at making rules to suck any fun out of most anything players – Oh pardon me, student-athletes – seem to enjoy.

Dan Kane’s article pointing out the potential conflicting UNC claims was good reporting.I’d love to be a fly on the wall in Folt’s office if SACS comes visiting. It’s a big deal to lose accreditation when it comes to federal funds and student aid $$$. If life was fair……..

5 days ago

I can see the SACS “goons” arriving in a camo-Hummer parked beside The Old Well and a platoon of jack-booted SACS stormtroopers taking over South Building…frog-marching Chihuahua out the front door as she screams HELP ROY HELP !!!

• DrVinnyboombatz Reply
        4 days ago

I doubt if SACS actually takes away the accreditation from UNC.
        I could see them getting another year of probation as their worse case scenario.
        Many do not know this, but if an NCAA school is not accredited, that school cannot be a member of the NCAA.
        It won’t happen, but by the NCAA’s own bylaws SACS could in effect give UNC the death penalty across their entire athletic program, should UNC have their accreditation yanked. In other words, no active NCAA sports programs until accreditation is restored.

I guess we know what is now #1 on every ABCer’s Christmas list… 😜