Most Controversial Playoffs EVER… again.

2017 CFP
December04/ 2017

Most Controversial Playoffs EVER … Again!

It is early December.  You know what that means. Time for 99% of sports fans in America to screech…

The PLAYOFFS ARE RIGGED…

WE MUST EXPAND THE PLAYOFFS… to 8-16-32-64 teams.

I notice that the EXPAND THE PLAYOFFS crowd and the PAY THE PLAYERS gang both use the word “OBVIOUS” in all their screeches. Whenever I see the word “OBVIOUS” I know whatever seismic socio-cultural change is being DEMANDED is not… “OBVIOUS”.

There is always another POV but the OBVIOUS gang hopes to stifle that POV by yelling “OBVIOUS”.

I watched most/all the Conference Championship games. I didn’t see anyone “kneeling” which, IMO, was a good thing. There were Winners and there were Losers. When a team, and its fan base, get this far, expectations are high. Champagne Wishes & Caviar Dreams are rampant.

A coach that loses a Conference Championship game is NOT as popular with his fan base as he was just before that game. Tough business…

Three of The Final Four are “consensus” picks. The 4th one… not so much. I appreciate that the tOSU faithful are not happy little Buckeyes. I think I’ve heard all the convoluted arguments for why Alabama is in… and Ohio State is not. I am pretty sure that no one is going to change their minds because, of course, it is OBVIOUS that their team deserved to be “the one”… and they are probably correct.

tOSU was better than my Wisconsin Badgers. I don’t blame “the damn refs”. I am still proud of “my Badgers”.

Whatever % of Ohio State fans have been programmed to HATE TRUMP probably blame Condi Rice for OSU being cheated out of The Final Four. Condi Rice is no longer on the Playoff Committee but some ABC reporter might have said she was. You know how those ABC reporters play loose with “facts”.

I have, from Day One, been just fine with “Just Four”. I remain just fine w/ Just Four. I love CHAOS and Just Four tends to assure CHAOS.

Originally, I liked Just Four because of “academic reasons” and the issue of Semester Breaks with mid-late December games… and academic eligibility of “student-athletes” who traditionally stop even pretending to be “students” in their final eligibility semester. How could a “senior” who stopped going to class in mid-October be declared “eligible” to play for that school after that semester?

The NCAA recently declared that academics was not in its “pervue” so who cares about academics any more… or really ever did?

There is also the issue of additional rounds of games in mid-December putting burdens on fans to attend those quarterfinal games. Then I realized why should I care about that

IF The Grapevine Gang (without Ms Rice) wants to expand to 8… or 16; I don’t care. I am just fine with Just Four. Some school’s lunatic fringe is always going to be pissed off regardless… that’s how lunatic fringes roll.

Am I the only one who realizes three of the four teams have “Red” as their primary school “color”?  Isn’t “Red” a euphemism for Russians?  OMG!!  The Russians are hijacking College Football too !!! We’re DOOMED!

If Lincoln “The Kid” Riley wins a NC in his first year as a Head Coach at Oklahoma… should he retire?

NC State is going to The Hyundai Sun Bowl in El Paso. As the Sun Bowl Executive Director stated…

“We realize that no one starts their season hoping to be selected to The Sun Bowl”.

I immediately liked that guy.

I’m sure he was speaking for every NC State fan on Earth. Every State fan that travels to El Paso should get 6 months of All The Lasagne You Can Eat at Amedeo’s.

That goal line fumble vs Wake was probably the difference in which side of The Mississippi, NC State would end up on.

It is “a Bowl Game”… the coaches get those extra practice days to develop replacements for all those seniors… and the players get big goofy sombreros, lots of tacos and a tacky Sun Bowl watch. It is what it is.

The Sun Bowl has been around for 50 years and has a “sort of legitimate” corporate sponsor. This year’s motley collection of goofy bowl corporate sponsors may be THE SILLIEST EVER. “Poulan Weedeater” would hardly break the Top Five this year.

I wonder what Dollar General and some of the others actually pay to be name sponsors?

UNC loonies can’t say anything since they went to El Paso last year… and are going NO WHERE this year.

Meanwhile at The Duplin Winery…

You all know how much I loooove anything to do with “recruiting”. NOT! Several folks sent me stuff about a really stoopid incident (supposedly) involving some woman connected to The Duplin Winery going Bat S*** on Twitter at the kid Payton Wilson who recently switched his commitment from UNC to NCState.

The Duplin Winery gal’s name is Angie Fussell (@heelndpills) whose husband (Dave) is co-owner of the winery. Ms Fussell’s twitter account extols her intense devotion to UNC Sports.

Payton WhiteApparently this Payton Wilson kid (who is a white middle-class kid from Hillsborough for anyone wondering) is a 4-star linebacker. He had “verbally committed” to UNC, but several weeks ago “un-committed” and immediately committed to NC State.

In his “commit to NCState” tweet young Mr. Wilson made a snide uncomplimentary reference to a stereotype of UNC FB fans.

… Being from The Triangle-area he was certainly familiar with local fan base stereotypes.

Ergo, why did he ever “commit” to UNC originally? I don’t know.

His snide jab at UNC fans (supposedly) ignited this Duplin Winery gal who appears to be in her 40s. She (or someone with access to her Twitter account) fired off a quite profane / obscene tweet at Payton Wilson The NC State “commit”.

Oh, have I mentioned that the Duplin Winery gal has “a rap sheet”. As a licensed pharmacist (UNC Pharmacy School graduate) she was once found guilty of some serious drug prescription violations that resulted in her losing her pharmacist license… but NOT her right to tweet stoopid crap… IF the tweet did indeed come from her.

Duplin Winery gal’s husband Dave claims someone hacked her twitter account ergo those obscene comments were not hers. Which is the smart play for Dave… whether it is true or not. Again, I don’t know.

Meanwhile WolfpackNation has, of course, declared a full-scale grassroots boycott of Duplin Winery. Take THAT Duplin Winery Carolina fan gal.

This incident reeks with enough “how come he/she did thats” to qualify as “a Hoot”. A reminder that Charles Darwin might have had his evolution theory backwards. Maybe “the monkeys” should sue him.

In Year One of Bunting versus Amato, wasn’t there a brouhaha involving a highly-rated recruit from Northern Durham that Bunting was sure he had… until Chuck sent over a pizza the night before “signing day” resulting in the kid flipping to NC State. Wonder where that guy is these days?

More of BobLee -Link

Blondie

Blondie’s Latest  – LINK

NCNV

• Gear Up Reply
    5 days ago

BL,

As I sit at KSFO waiting for my connection to RDU and watching the Army-Navy game; who rolls up in his disability stroller? No other than the infamous Rev Bully Barber. If I could upload the photo I would … it literally speaks a thousand words. I presume he was with his two daughters, but I could be mistaken. I wonder what trouble he was stirring up in San Fran or perhaps Oakland? What a small world … too bad he has to waste his time keeping it divided.

5 days ago

The phrase “Are you sure it was him?” is unnecessary. A polite “Bob Kennel says Hi…” might have prompted an interesting reaction and possibly retaliation from his security platoon. 🙂

• Gear Up Reply
      5 days ago

Update: Bully Barber is too big to fit in a coach seat so they made a first class passenger switch with him. Unbelievable! I guess I should eat more.

• Dr Wire Reply
    6 days ago

I had not heard the Mrs Fussell story until your column (been distracted by birth of 1st grandchild which you will soon get to appreciate), but anticipated there were similar reactions across the blue landscape. I know many older women Tar Heel fans, usually alums, who will drop a “listen here mother——-“ on you when you say bad things about their Heels, especially St Dean, quicker than you will be hugging Blondie when Kid has her child . I am sure this type of fan exists for all teams; although, I think the Heel women alums have copyrighted their response.

Duplin Winery has been around since the 70’s. Very few thought then you could make a business, much less a living, selling sweet muscadine wine which had a limited down east clientele. The original David Fussell would be the one shaking his head the most about who I assume is his daughter-in-law’s tweet since he had taught Bible classes at Harrell’s Christian Academy prior to taking his leap of faith into the wine business which has stood the test of time.

Money will drive the CFP to more teams on the next contract like money increased the CBB tournament from 32 to 64 in about a decade. And like cbb the “left behinds” will always find a sympathetic ear and a talking head needing filler. The dominos will fall in place once Notre Dame decides their FB independence is keeping them outside looking in and their odds of getting into an 8 team discussion from the ACC Coastal will not impact their TV money a la NBCSN. The P5 conference championships have already been anointed as “CFP Play In” games by ESPN and sports talk. Next incremental step is how to get from 10 to 5 to 4. Wildcard of 4 v 5 after exams could work. Honoring The historical NFL-CFB time/game day slot unspoken agreement has passed so 4-5 play Sat around Christmas with ESPN Event bowl games until the Frigid (sorry Frinal & Frozen already taken) Four the following weekend. Everybody makes money, probably even the players.

PS it was as a pleasure meeting you ever so briefly prior to the State-unX FB game.

6 days ago

Indeed, publicly blaspheming St Dean WILL introduce one to a very toxic strain of TruBlues. The Cult of Dean can be a VERY nasty bunch… as can the Cult of V; but I agree that Dean Cultists are especially vicious when challenged.
      As for “sports” in American Culture it is a bit like a river… it is never the same… always changing. CFP will certainly change likely drastically in the next five years. You and I are of the demographic that tends to view “change” with a jaundiced eye. I had lunch with others of our generation this week. We agreed that while our opinions may no longer be as impactful as they were 20-30 years ago; we still hold a pocketful of “I TOLD YOU SO” chips. 🙂

• TarSpartan Reply
    1 week ago

By the way, Sports Illustrated just posted their list of “best” bowl games, ranked from 1-37 (omitting the playoff games). I am amused that “Christmas in Shreveport” comes in last place.

7 days ago

The Shreveport/Bossier City Tourism Board will NOT handle that well…

• ultraviolet Reply
    1 week ago

Who’d of thunk it? I had Duplin Winery as a Wendell Murphy operation given the way their wine tastes and all. Learn something new every day. If a hog farm retention pond suddenly breaks near their vineyards it’ll be OBVIOUS why it happened. I think departments of sociology should all offer a course on lunatic fringery. You know anyone who might be willing to teach it?

1 week ago

A Legend Emeritus perhaps?

• ENC#1 Reply
    1 week ago

Everybody should have been a Duke football fan like me for a few years then they would just enjoy their team playing over the holidays! I love it when UNC-Chapel Hill and UNC-Raleigh start the “my toys are better than your toys” tweeting.
    All UNC, NCSU & DUKE fans just remember in the 1950s (except when McGuire was running the underground RR to NYC) and early 1960s NCSU was the basketball school and DUKE & UNC the football schools.

1 week ago

For a sizable % of today’s grumbling fans… their PARENTS were not even born “back then”. I do recall Bill Murray on the Wally Wade sidelines in his double-breasted suit and fedora and Tee Moorman as “the lonesome end”.

• RAZ Reply
    1 week ago

Good stuff BL, ….really had me LOL…………
    but still not as funny as Morning Joe

1 week ago

I deal with much more serious material than he does… 🙂

• JD Reply
    1 week ago

It is completely “OBVIOUS” that America needs “Common sense” gun control reforms, “common sense” immigration reform and “common sense” college football playoff reform. What could go wrong? Funny thing I thought getting the playoff was supposed to fix everything and get those “damn computers” out of it.

BEWARE “OBVIOUS… and anyone who types in ALLCAPS!. 🙂

• ncsu1987 Reply
    1 week ago

El Paso will be just fine. Aside from the four playoff bowls, all are pretty much meaningless. The only people who are disappointed are the ones who had unrealistic expectations for the season, or who bought into the media-generated hype. As my mentor always says when I wish him happy birthday, “well, it’s better than the alternative…”
    The saga of the stolen recruit, like most epic yarns, grows taller and bolder with each telling. Various reports have Chuck sending over the pizza, singing Sinatra, and doing other foolish things that grown-ass men shouldn’t have to do as part of their job. And that time is now a medium-length journey on the way-back machine, when recruiting was relatively tame. One can only wonder what recruiters do now. Or, I suppose, one can read the Louisville play by play…
    The Duplin tweet is indeed a hoot. Agree that Mr. Duplin was very smart…regardless of how honest. My guess is the Mrs. was under the influence of something stronger than the usual wine and cheese. I’ve often found that, given the proper forum, alcohol is am amazing pathway to seeing true colors and “telling us what they really think”.
    I get the distinct impression that you (BL) don’t drink, certainly not to excess. Still, I can’t help but wonder if anything would change with some inhibitions loosened…? What would THAT article look like? On second thought, nah. Don’t see a lot of inhibitions in the first place, and the alcohol would probably only serve to dull the razor wit. AP, tho….sometimes that dude could use a drink 😉
    Nice work, as always…

1 week ago

I CAN make a six-pack last a year if thats what you mean. The significance of “a winery” and Carolina fans had not dawned on me. Wonder if there is a cheese factory in Duplin County.
      What lengths grown men will go to to entice semi-literate 17 y/os is well beyond frightening… and getting more so each year. “You MUST build me a $36,000,000 IPF ASAP… YOU MUST!” being very scary IMO.

1 week ago

Back in my prime, I spent a lot of time in El Paso. I was designing a plant to be built across the border. I got a trophy from Ross Perot for coming in third in the annual “Great Sucking Sound” contest. Night life be across the border. We never went there. We were also offered a “friendly Mexican weekend” by one of the contractors bidding on the plant. I can recommend the State Line BBQ for a family meal at reasonable prices.
    The Duplin Wine story is a hoot. Mr. Fussel would be about the right age for my ex roommate’s kid. My roomie, actually part of 3 lads from Hyde county, were right out of a country song sung by Conway Twitty. The had Honky Tonk Angels that were classmates living in Raleigh and I saw many that looked like “Mrs. Fussell” parade in and out. Like Goose from “Top Gun”, I had got married early in the fall and my wife was at UNCG so I just watched the shows and had a beer and enjoyed the scenery as they would run through the den to the bathroom…usually without any clothes and smile and wink. 😘
    Don’t think that Mr Murphy will be openly harassing the Winery. Now had the lass involved Kevin Keatts, then hell would have had no fury like that of a ex BOT chair….
    Great column….but ill timed because I laughed too much…and have some bruised ribs from a fall. My DW wanted some cast aside greenery from decorating the church that got thrown in the dumpster. Did a dive to remove and slipped and banged my ribs. But, I’m still good once, as I ever was

• mapackfan Reply
    1 week ago

Their attempt at trying to explain the original FB post is beyond hilarious. Can you say “screwed the pooch”? (Or from another view “lost all perspective”?)

Duplin Winery. Headed down the toilet.

1 week ago

Why did Wilson suddenly realize that UNC FB fans ARE UNC FB fans?

• Former96Heel Reply
        1 week ago

I thought Duplin wine was that stuff that gets packaged up as a joke, sold in Stuckey’s and Food Lion’s across the state? It is not to be confused with Biltmore or Shelton. When it’s predominant color is pink, and it can be used as a replacement for Cheerwine in your newest Christmas dessert recipe, you will not find it in Wine Spectator anytime soon.

1 week ago

Are there still “Stuckey’s” and if so, do they still sell Pecan Log Rolls?
          I know nothing about wine other than it comes in three colors. Since this gal is “a Fussell by marriage, not by blood” I don’t know if her antics affect the quality of their product or not. That she does “have a history” probably doesn’t set well with The Blood Fussells however.

• TarSpartan Reply
    1 week ago

As someone who watched UNC lose in El Paso first-hand (it was only 550 miles from my house, so I didn’t have to leave the state), I can give a bit of advice to any Wolfpackers who make the trip. First, try to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. It is practically on UTEP campus, and less than a mile from the stadium. If you park at the hotel, you don’t have to pay for stadium parking. Second, bring your cold weather gear. El Paso is at 4000+ feet, and can get pretty chilly in late December.

1 week ago

Any advice for favorite Juarez night spots?

• TarSpartan Reply

No comment. 😉

• Zoot Reply
    1 week ago

I heard you audibly say “screw the article this week” before you hit “post.” Thank you for trudging through. I think “heelsnpills” is playing Cat’s Cradle this weekend.

• BigT Reply
    1 week ago

I thought Chuck sang to him

1 week ago

I just recall it was quite a brouhaha at the time.

• Our Man Flint Reply
    1 week ago

My dear chap! One must have seen that this glorious little lady signed up for deferred prosecution with great haste! My investigative report clearly spells this out in the public record minutes of the 773rd Meeting of the NC Board of Pharmacy June 21, 2005. One question remains unanswered. Her duly sworn testimony states she took the diverted prescription drugs for a period of 6-8 months. Mathematics was simply a strong suit of mine as a young lad and 12,539 diverted dosages over this time period is a sizeable daily dosage (50+ per day). Tomorrow is an interview with a retired jolly old man who spent the latter part of his investigative career looking into the criminal exploits of small town pharmacists in Southeastern N.C.
    Tally ho!

• Chief Inspector Closeau Reply
    1 week ago

Took less than an hour for PackPride investigators to expose Ms. Fussell’s 3 felony counts of drug diversion of 12,000 doses of controlled substances on twitter. Ms. Folt et.al. could have advised Ms. Fussell, “don’t mess with Pack Pride” LOL! My advice to hubby Fussell and his brother (other owners) is to ask how much do they make the check out for a new NC State football center and theme park, ala Dabo.

1 week ago

Ya think Boss Hog Murphy would dispatch “his guy” to The Fussell Family Compound to pick up that check?

• MMF Reply
    1 week ago

The Fussell clan is big doings in Duplin/Sampson Counties..I went to Louisburg with one uf’em.. Nice lady and not hard on the eyes.coukd be her daughter? If Lincoln Riley wins a NC, he should not retire but leave Norman and return to EC. wishful thinking on my part..MMF

1 week ago

This Fussell gal would be a Fussell by marriage to David Fussell. If her Twitter account was hacked or not is a “he says” that few if any Wuffs are buying. If Fussell gal DID tweet it I bet Mr Fussell is NOT a Happy Fussell AT ALL.

1 week ago

IF you’ins is caucasian and from that neck of the woods, chances are you are a Fussell, related to a Fussell, married to a Fussell, or all the above.

1 week ago

Isn’t Duplin / Sampson also Big Wendell Murphy Country?

• Doug
            1 week ago

Boss Hog is from Rose Hill. Duplin County.

1 week ago

Wonder if Boss Hogg is a good customer of Duplin Winery? Have David Fussell and Wendell discussed this Brouhaha ???

• Chief Inspector Closeau
            1 week ago

Mr. Murphy himself said he was astonished when Pack Pride was the first fan base to discover plane number tracking as relates to coaching searches years ago. Mr. Murphy was reported as saying, “I didn’t know they could do that”. Now standard procedure with passionate fan bases.

1 week ago

I thought UNC was first when they tracked “Dr Jordan’s jet” to Lawrence KS to get Roy – the first time.

• Doug
            1 week ago

Democrat, Wendell “Boss Hog” Murphy served in the NC House and NC Senate from 1983-1992. During his time as a legislator WM is widely credited by his proponents for steering legislation in the NCGA which ultimately made NC one of the most important hog producing states in the nation. He was once featured as Tar Heel Of The Week by the N&O. That fact alone should send red flags and the Wuffy finger a’quivering.
            Boss Hog’s critics blame him and industrial hog farming operations as the number 1 polluter of ground water in the state. Just this week a federal court judge ruled the WM’s company major pork producer Murphy-Brown LLC (now a subsidiary of Chinese owned Smithfield Foods) must live up to an agreement it signed 11 years ago and work on cleaning up water pollution tied to almost a dozen industry-scale hog operations in Bladen, Columbus, Duplin, Pitt, Sampson and Scotland counties.
            The N&O, the NC Democratic Party, Gov. Roy Cooper, AG Josh Stein, Randy Woodson, or Candace Bergen could not be reached for comment.

1 week ago

Uh Oh! Raising hogs does have its downside… I’ve been told.

• MB.in.Balmer Reply
    1 week ago

I guess it is too much to hope for that many of the bowl games would cease to exist.
    Only 3 bowl eligible teams did not receive a bid. Talk about being left out!

1 week ago

Common Sense lost the Bowl Game Battle about ten years ago.
      They have become College FB’s version of a Little League “Participation Trophy”. Tributes to mediocrity.

• Zoot Reply
        1 week ago

Link to bowl stupidity and why.

ESPN Events operates the following bowls, which ESPN televises:

Heart of Dallas Bowl
        Las Vegas Bowl
        New Mexico Bowl
        Texas Bowl

• Zoot Reply
          1 week ago

They buy and pay for their own content.

• Todd Lesley Reply
    1 week ago

After reading that Wisconsin’s last five recruiting classes ranked #40 …only two spots ahead of NCSU…I became quite an admirer of this overachieving bunch. Ohio State’s average recruiting class ranked in the top 3 the last 5 years. No other Midwest school…much less BIG TEN school…is in the top ten. Yet the Badgers were one drive away from sending Alabama out of the CFP. During the OSU Wisconsin game it seemed like I kept hearing “this Badger wanted to be a Buckeye but OSU did not give him an offer.”

1 week ago

Wisconsin FB is built around Big Ol’ Dairy Farm Boys from small towns across Wiscy. They go out-of-state for their RBs and DBs. Very strong fundamental no-frills FB. Similar to the Devaney / Osborne Nebraska teams… Sat night OSU beat them on both lines of scrimmage VERY UNUSUAL for that to happen.

1 week ago

I’m surprised the N&O didn’t have a headline: Area Teams Snubbed by the CFP Committee (and Condi of course). Think four teams are too few? Number’s 5-8 are now in the bitching and moaning period. Expanded to 8 teams and #’s 9-12 rinse, wash,repeat the B&M and so on and so forth. Make every team eligible and half will complain about something else.

1 week ago

Crooked Refs and Conspiracy Theories are the bread/butter of being an avid fan. The ubiquitous “they” are always out to get “us”. Usually because “they” are jealous of “us” because “we” are sooo cool.