BL: Shakespeare re: Jerry Richardson and John Skipper

Evil Men Do
    December19/ 2017

Shakespeare Re: Jerry Richardson & John Skipper

I’m not saying I would have changed places with Jerry Richardson or John Skipper (UNC’78) yesterday, but Jerry and “Skippy” would not have switched with me either.  Is there a two-word phrase more chilling than “oral surgery”?

With the sports world all abuzz about Jerry and “Skippy” I was having a broken tooth cut out that had “abscessed”. There is nothing good about the word “abscessed” either. A long weekend of “toothache”… 45 minutes of “oral surgery” Monday morning followed by four hours of ibruprophen and ice packs and my circumstance was in my rearview mirror by mid-afternoon.  Kudos to “The Dentist Of The Hurricanes”.

Alas, for Jerry and “Skippy” their lives will never return to whatever was “normal” for them a few days ago…

Shakespeare’s Mark Anthony re: Caesar…

“The evil that men do lives after them. The good is oft interred with their bones.”

I do not “know” Jerry Richardson or John Skipper(UNC’78) other than their public personas. I was / was not surprised by public disclosure of their respective circumstances. I never considered it in either case. Nor would I have said a week ago that neither was impossible.

Jerry Richardson:

Jerry Richardson

Carolina Panthers’ owner Jerry Richardson is the latest high profile accused sexual misconducter to be outed…America, from Sea to Shining Sea, is inundated with a tsunamic pandemic of sexual misconducting accusations.

Are all the individuals being outed as sexual misconductors actually guilty of sexual misconducting? I don’t know that either. I would certainly hope that no innocent individuals – high-profile or otherwise – are being forever labeled with that accusation. Once “labeled” – falsely or otherwise, it tends to stick.

If not already the case, false accusations will certainly occur before “this tsunamic pandemic” runs its course. Innocent lives WILL be ruined by vindictive individuals making false charges with what amount to “he said/she said”.

It is simply IMPOSSIBLE that the “he said” will not be the correct verdict in “some cases”. In what % of cases? The longer this “wildfire” burns the higher the %s of false charges.

The motivation for a false accusation might be political, simple vindictiveness, or a degree of mental derangement… but innocent lives WILL be forever tainted before this is over. But I suppose that already occurs within our imperfect system of justice.

I am not implying any “innocents” have been charged so far. I do not have inside info about any of the high-profile political, sports, entertainment figures so far “exposed”.

I will remind you of The Rule…

“We” tend to assume the worst about public individuals we are predisposed to “dislike”… and assume the best about public individuals we are predisposed to like”. … aka Mike Krzyzewski and/or Dean Smith.

Arbitrarily applying Virtues to individuals we “like” and Vices to those we “don’t like” is a common shortcoming in basic human nature. It is a non-partisan shortcoming.  “Sexual misconduct” is also, alas, a non-partisan human shortcoming.

Our justice system cannot function on an accused’s likability scale… although it probably does more often than we know.

Many TruBlues will forever deny The Greatest Eligibility Scandal in NCAA History because to do otherwise leads to “St Dean was somehow involved” and they simply cannot accept that. It’s how Madelyn Albright dealt with Bill & Monica.

A charge of “Sexual misconduct” is the type of life experience that tends to be included in one’s public obituary… it follows one to the grave and beyond according to The Bard. That makes it a pretty serious charge. Ya think!

Actually “committing sexual misconduct / harassment” is very serious. Albeit there are certainly degrees of “it” that are less serious than others. We, as a society, have yet to establish degrees / categories of sexual misconduct / harassment. We probably need to do that as soon as possible.

An ill-advised (i.e. stoopid) passing remark made in a semi-informal situation is not the same as a physical altercation or direct reference of criminal intent. Not every instance of “sexual misconduct” as currently undefined is “a hanging offense”… but some are.

NOTE: “Harassment” is spelled with one “r” and two “ss” just so you know. I sense there may be more opportunities to discuss this in the days to come. Don’t you?

In lieu of defined levels of sexual misconduct… for an 80 year old man – JR – to say to a female employee (likely young enough to be his granddaughter) that I would like to shave your legs !!

That line scores pretty near the top of the scale of OMG Dirty Old Man Yuckiness and….if true, earns Jerry the “Dirty Old Man” label for sure… and whatever societal perceptions come with that label.

Again, I am assuming “that” actually happened. Richardson has not denied anything individually or collectively. His immediate response – announcing he will sell the team – tends to imply there is significant validity to the charges.

Top Cat

Am I the only one to find it just plain weird that the in-house team executive – Tina Becker – selected to immediately assume COO responsibilities started her career with The Panthers as a TopCat cheerleader?

I don’t know what team of “Fates” are writing this drama but kudos to them for that very very wacky angle.

As for the report that “P Diddy” wants to buy the team…  Why not?  I’m assuming Charlotte’s original Team Owner / Bad Boy George Shinn (aka “The Little Lothario of Tega Cay”) is not interested.

The Jerry Richardson Mess is not over. More will be reported… and reported here.

A reminder about “what you read/hear in the media”… If you don’t trust “the media” to report “politics” fairly and factually, why would you trust the same reporters, editors, publishers, anchors to report ANYTHING fairly and factually. “Politics” now invades pretty much everything in society.

If their individual and organizational basis taints one aspect of “the news” will it not taint all aspects of what they report?  Just something to keep in mind.

John Skipper (UNC’78)

John Skipper

I don’t “know” John Skipper (UNC’78)… never having met the man, but, I “don’t like him”. From whatI have deduced from following his career as President of ESPN, he has been dishonest in his motives.

See Above as regards assuming the worst about public figures one does not like.  Even Internet Legends can be guilty.

The public debate about “politics in sports” is misunderstood. The Worldwide Leader in Sports Broadcasting SHOULD discuss the evolution of sports as a key element in American society and our culture. Nay… in The World’s society and human culture.

The subjects of Race – Gender – Social Justice (??) – Poverty – Sexual Misconduct – et al are not simply “fair game” but necessary issues for a Sports Network to discuss. It would be ridiculous for Skipper / ESPN to not “discuss these issues”.

My issue with Skipper is that he encouraged / allowed only one side of these issues to be discussed by his on-air staff. He made ESPN a loud vocal advocate for the Left-side of every hot-button social issue.

He further encouraged one-sided discussion by threatening with termination and suspending anyone who dared to bring up “the other side”.

John Skipper (UNC’78) allowed his own “political bias” to dictate how his network reported. For anyone wishing to debate Skipper’s personal views… prior to joining ESPN he spent ten years with Rolling Stone Magazine. YIKES!  Putting aside his UNCCH experience, John Skipper is a flaming liberal.

The circumstance of his out-of-the-blue immediate resignation for “personal substance abuse” is beyond “unusual”. He recently signed an extended contract and in recent remarks to his employees never gave the slightest indication of any “issues”.

I am calling B***S*** on “personal substance abuse” being the reason Skipper resigned. He may indeed have a yet unspecified problem but that is a cover for the real reason. Last week’s latest outbreak of “sexual misconduct cases” at ESPN is likely part of “the real reason”.

He could have gone on a 3-month rehab or similar standard corporate tactic in such cases. I’m no authority on substance abuse but for it to be to the degree one immediately resigns his career implies it is “serious”.

“Serious” substance abuse would be known by those within the ESPN / Disney top tier. Precluding his contract extension when ESPN is facing numerous critical issues to its business model.

Are all Disney top executives given such a superficial due diligence ?? Disney stockholders might be worried…  What secrets are Bob Iger hiding ???

Whether these latest allegations were “the straw on the camel’s back” or is Skipper simply “a rat leaving a sinking ship” … I certainly don’t know.

I do see that a sympathetic mainstream media – that shares Skipper’s political views – is giving Skipper “warm fuzzies” and buying the “seeking help from my addiction” story.

Would that same media do likewise were it Jerry Jones or anyone not of their political ilk? Certainly not. They would be ferreting out the exact nature of the addiction and declaring what a dastardly human being Skipper must surely be.

Regardless… as with Jerry Richardson, the John Skipper (UNC’78) story has chapters yet to unfold  too. I will keep you appraised of what I think about it.

More of BobLee -Link

More of AgentPierce – Link

Blondie’s Latest  – LINK

NCNV

Yep. Not exactly my hardest prediction ever. I did this one “with half my brain tied behind my back” …. hehehehe.

• ultraviolet Reply

I can state unequivocally with smug moral superiority that all my bimbos were volunteers.

• Setarcos Reply

Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us and pigs see us as equals (churchill). Think he had it about right. Obviously more men acting like pigs than I would have guessed. HOWEVER, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
      Once had a female co-worker (going through a divorce) ask me out for a drink. I politely declined. She seemed fine with my “no, thanks”. That’s it … a 15 second interaction. Next day, I was being investigated by a corporate HR lynch mob.
      It’s a jungle … and if we’re not already divided enough, count on the media to continue the divide and conquer routine.

I think we are still several million cases away from “all men are lecherous pigs” despite the daily headlines. Even a few 100s is too many.

• BC.PV Reply

BL, WOW!! As I have said to you many times, you will NEVER RUN OUT OF MATERIAL!!!
      Merry Christmas to you and Blondie.

In other words, there will always be societal conflict and an ever-widening range of human nature trying to cope with it. “It” will outlive me for sue…

BL,
      Interesting take on Skippy. Sounds very plausible to me.
      I want to see the Panthers when P. Diddy buys it with a minority (rimshot!) interest owned by Stephen Curry. The Panther Cheerleaders will be dressed like the females in P. Diddy’s Rap Video’s and the fans will be limited to 21 years and older as the young uns ain’t suppose to see that much female skin and watch their “New Numbers”. Might even hire back the two that got canned for what they were doing in the can. Obviously the entire team will take a knee with Collin K. leading them to an unceremonious 0 and 16 season. Maybe the Rev’s BB and Jesse will chip in some of their “mob” $$ to help P. Diddy.
      I ONLY hope that there is at least #MeToo lassie (or better still a laddie) that snitches on Robert Goodell. He has to have some illicit behavior in his past. Just got to keep looking.
      Was at the PNC tonight to cheer on the decimated WP. I thought that I was at an NFL game as the stands were as sparse as the stands at most of last Sunday’s games. Wonder what is gonna happen when the MSM boys start to renegotiate their advertising contracts. ESPN ain’t exactly setting new viewership records….unless you count the number of viewers that have stopped tuning in. Jimmy G’s ratings have to be low in the triangle after his little hissy fit with U-Verse. One can only hope that Santa brings him a bodacious Lump of “Trump’s CLEAN Coal” as his gift….

I have no problem with Diddy or JayZ or IceCube or TuPac or FiftyCent or LilNell (OK, thats about all of’em I can name) each buying an NFL and/or NBA franchise. And running their teams however they please. If they can attract a large enough audience willing to pay for their product, more power to’em. The current ROWG don’t attract me any longer. I suggest Diddy et al not waste their time/money trying to do so.
        People in the Famous Rapper business have gotten very rich via some audience attraction… will that translate to watch their sports teams ???

• Irondoc Reply

Interesting that Skipper would leave due to “substance abuse” issues. Substance abuse is considered a disability and not a fireable offense under the Americans With Disabilities Act. However, the feds are taking a harder line with opiate abuse due to the “opiate crisis” (which began with the feds meddling in the first place but you’ll never hear that in the mainstream media so another story for another day). So, alcohol, marijuana, cocaine are probably forgivable after a stay in a high-priced rehab center. Heroin or other opiates not so much.

That the traditional “several months in a rehab facility” leave-of-absence was not the first option is a clue that there is more to it. Again, if MSM was not his friend there would be much more investigation into this.

• Dick Gray Reply

I think Skipper’s issue is substance abuse. It is clear he has drunk way too much Kool aid in his adult life.

Skippy’s former bosses at Disney probably share his “politics” but they realize that “Not Liberals” also go to theme parks and movies too. That… and Skippy operating an “Anything Goes” Palace of Hedonism in Bristol also contributed to his supposed “substance abuse”. No word whether UNC will rescind its various awards they have given Skippy. I suspect not…

According to multiple sources Mister Richardson’s scandal has elements of a plantation management style in the Panthers office to go along with the sexual tension. This gives the mess at least a fighting chance to merge BLM & Me Too. Wouldn’t that be an interesting carnival act to watch the NFL fumble? Dirty, lecherous, old white plantation owner insists on being called Mister as he gives female staffers the creeps.
      The Skipper resignation as announced is simply odd. The announcement leaves many more questions than answers. I haven’t heard much comment from the Bristol on-air talent either good or bad about their former boss.

I suppose “Mister” is better than “Massa Jerry”.
        All of current former ESPN super-Libs (Jemele, Olberman, et al) are in deep mourning for “World’s Greatest Skipper”. Apparently he waked on water and turned Gatorade into Wine… WHO KNEW! Twitter is en fuego with Skipper Love Tweets.

• Ellen.L Reply

“Massa Jerry” !!! No more calls. We have our winner. Do you think the “lawn jockey” outside Jerry’s office was a clue?

Could have been. When Erskine and Hugh McColl dropped by did Jerry have “a darkie” serve mint juleps? I bet “Truth” will be weirdier than anything we might imagine.

• Da Judge in Charlotte Reply

The allegations about Jerry Richardson prove the truth of a saying I once heard:

“Just because there is snow on the roof soesn’t Mean there isn’t fire in the furnace.”

Yuck… the visual of JRich having his feet massaged by a 20-something lil’ gal reminds me of Yabba The Hutt and Princess Leia in her harem outfit. My eyes… my eyes …. !!!!!

• Bill Reply

Could it be that the substance that Mr. Skipper is abusing is flesh? Located on life forms identifying themselves as female? Perhaps the unfortunate Mr. Skipper just got confused about which gender his staff members were identifying as at the time he touched them. In what I must assume is an environment at ESPN in which gender “fluidity” is embraced, surely such a thing is possible. Thus, could he not have innocently touched a life form that appeared to be male in a way that would be appropriate if the form was identifying as male that day, only to learn that it was identifying as female? Even those we dislike are entitled to the presumption of innocence, aren’t they? Finally, as you note, our judicial system is far from perfect. As some wit (not Wm. Shakespeare) observed, it is the very worst possible system of justice ever devised by man except for every other system that has ever been devised.
      Cheers, Happy Advent and Merry Christmas when the season arrives. Just won’t be the same without the Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl, though!

ESPN-Bristol has long held a reputation as a Good Ol’ Boys locker room with hot/cold running interns. Between old jocks, wanna-be jocks and nubile groupies I suspect the homonal levels are usually at TILT level.

• Bill Reply

Well, I tried. Guess all that’s left to do is get him a fair trial and a fine hanging. Rooster Cogburn.

• CNR Reply

Feliz Navidad and Felicem Natalem Christi my Ignatian friend. Have you given an A or Excellent +++ to each member of your class.

Class… You mean my mangy gaggle of regular commenters ??? 🙂
          Coach, this Panther owner mess is gonna get messier and messier. You think Bob McNair could withstand such an anal probe? The owner of The Rockets is likely a bit of a rascal too I betcha.

• CNR Reply

Ah. Jerry Jones, as much of a skate as any, would skate on any charges. It is expected of his kind. Pinches and blue innuendos are in their DNA.
            Uncle Ev Case’s nephew phoned me when the accusations were rushing toward epidemic proportions, “Doesn’t Gloria Allred know that that is who and what we are — roaming hands and sexual suggestive jerks trying to hit a home run!”
            Personally, Lou Gehrig, Stan Musial, Pete Reiser, Roger Staubach, Pat Riley, John Wooden, Jerry Tarkanian, Adolph Rupp, Bud Presley, Paul Brown, Tom Landry, Vince Lombardi, Joe Paterno, Pete Newell, Phil Woolpert, Ed Jucker, Branch Rickey, Pat O’Brien, Tony Kubek, Jackie Robinson, Gil Hodges, Pee Wee Reese, Ellie Howard, Harry Truman, and Jimmy Carter are a few of the men who could not be lured to the dark side. Of that I am certain. One I would add to that list is Bobby Richardson. Never met him, but hold him in the highest regard. If only Bobby and Tony had been there for Mick from the beginning, how different would be Mick’s stats and life would have been. Billy Martin and Whitey were not good for him. Casey turned a blind eye. Mick stated as much near the end.

I met Bobby Richardson once. I remembered that he was MVP of the ’60 WS (Mazeroski walk-off) despite being on losing NYY team. He was VERY IMPRESSED that I knew that.

• Former96Heel Reply

Panthers’ sale should not be completely unexpected, as JRich previously said he wanted to sell it prior to death. At that age, on a borrowed heart, any year is as better than next. I can guess that he didn’t make his money making bad decisions either, so selling this close to peak NFL is not a bad idea either. I am positive of one thing, the next owner will expect a return on investment, and that is going to come only if they get a free, shiny stadium. It will make a $35mil IPF look cheap in comparison. Charlotte has a $47mil escalator and video board right now. Rebuilding that place to 2018 standards may cost as much as the team will sell for.
      With Skippy gone, will I still be able to pay up and get the ACC Network? I am so tired of missing those swim meets and field hockey games.

I suspect any ESPN Prez will return Swoffy’s phone calls, but maybe not as quickly as his fellow Tar Heel “Skippy” probably did. The long term profit future of The NFL between concussions, cable-cutting and social justice kneelers may be murkier than 5-10 years ago.

• RowdyBlueTarHeeler Reply

Well BobLee, are there skeletons hiding in YOUR closet we should expect to be revealed?

Obviously I HAVE led a life of less than stellar personal dental hygiene. Beyond that and several less than well-thought-out career misdirections, I’m pretty bland. “Blame that” on a father who had rather well-defined views on how men should treat women… and led an exemplary life in that regard.

• DM Carpenter Reply

Skippy’s fall was news to me as well. Thanks for the update.

Some rise by sin, and some, by virtue, fall. — Shaky Bill

The Bard has a line for pretty much everything… The Passing of Time doesn’t have much effect on human nature.

• MB,in.Balmer Reply

When I heard about the path of the new COO I was amazed. I have got to see the career
      Path from cheerleader in 1996 to COO in 2017.
      Also, the Facebook page for Lexington Senior High School yesterday, someone posted a
      Pray for John Skipper. They asked that all Yellow Jackets (school mascot) come together
      For him. How a liberal like he came out of my small town is interesting.

As re: Skipper bring from Lexington… It is obviously connected to that “red slaw”.

• Babs.in.derm Reply

Whoa, didn’t hear that about Skippy.

Not to worry little buddy. Thats why you keep coming here. 🙂

• RAZ Reply

In 1980 on the way home from work, lady took my plate # and said I was harassing her and her 2 children for the past 2 hours. Small town COPolice threw me in jail, and 2 local radio stations and newspapers reported the arrest. Had to hire a lawyer and prayed this nightmare would end. A few weeks layer she filed the same charge to someone bringing firewood to her house. .. and lucky for me she did it again a 3rd time a month later. Seemed she was having trouble in her marriage and did this to bring her husband back to protect her and the children. The police finally figured it out, but myself and 2 others had our arrests put out for the whole county to see. I know lie detectors are about 80-85% accurate, would like to see used before any claim hits the media

Beyond the obvious damage to the reputation of the innocent as you were… such false accusations serve as protective cover for the guilty. I don’t know a way to stop it. We are a most imperfect species.