BL: #1 Resolution – Not to be Grumpy

Peanuts
    December29/ 2017

#1 Resolution… Not to be Grumpy

As trite as it may be to do a Year End / Looking Ahead column at this point in time, “trite” is not necessarily bad. “Doing a jigsaw puzzle” during the Christmas / New Year’s Holidays is also “trite” and we did that earlier this week. So it’s not like I have a trite-free reputation to protect.

Be it resolved… my two “Resolutions” for 2018 are, in order…

(1) I will not be “Grumpy”… America is in “turmoil” these days.  DUH!  There is vicious, and usually profane, disagreement over “Why”. Every indication is that we ain’t seen nuthin’ yet as far as socio-cultural-political strife and discord.  I can’t do much about all that. I wish I could, but I can’t. I cannot ignore it either, and I won’t. I can control how I discuss it here. I resolve “not to be grumpy” about it.

I prefer my columns like I prefer my eggs… sunny side up.   If there is not “a sunny side” there is always a ridiculous side…

FYI… disagreeing with your misguided POV on any subject is NOT my definition of “Grumpy”. My perspective of the socio-cultural-political discord has not changed.

This has always been intended to be an ENTERTAINING website to visit. If you smile or spew coffee over your keyboard that’s great. If you inadvertently learn something or get a different perspective on an issue that is great too.  My being ill-tempered does not contribute to any of those objectives.

I am not promising not to make YOU grumpy. You are in charge of your emotions. “Hot stoves” and “wet paint” will never be avoided.

After 20 years of doing this over 2000 times I have yet, to my knowledge, changed the course of even one mighty river; or noticeably affected the rise or fall of even one itty bitty civilization. That’s not to say I can’t or won’t but The Past is our best predictor of The Future.

(2) I will be “briefer”… as Publisher / Editor / and In-House Legend I can say whatever I want to here and take as many words to say it as I wish. That hasn’t changed, but going forward I want to say it in no more than 750-800 words. Most “incredibly insightful commentaries” here have run 850-1000 words or more.

Like the proverbial “lady’s skirt” – these commentaries should be (1) long enough to cover the subject’ (2) short enough to be interesting.

That means a sharper editing pencil and maybe an extra ten minutes arguing with myself over which awesomely clever paragraphs are the most awesomely clever and which are not quite awesome enough.

If a particular subject simply can’t be adequately covered in 750-800 words, it will be continued in a future column.

FWIW… the tendency with many websites of this genre is towards longer columns of 1000-1500 words. I’ve never been one to follow the herd.

After these 20 years / 2000+ commentaries, I hope I have learned who my audience is… and who it is not.

If you were born in the 40-50-early 60s you hopefully “get” most of my oblique references, metaphors and similes. With my resolve to be “briefier” I can’t provide lengthy footnotes.

Allowing for generational attrition (sigh!) attracting everyone on the planet in the above demographic will be sufficient for me.

If The William Tell Overture does not make you think of The Lone Ranger you probably are not among a kindred assemblage here.

Perhaps you should seek out websites where the headline  – Kendrick Lamar (???) to perform at half-time of College National Championship Game” – means something to you. If you actually use the phrases “drop the mic” or “gave shade” or assorted other millennial-speak, you are welcome here… but at your risk, not mine.

I am indeed walking down Life’s 17th Fairway. But I AM spry enough to walk without a cane and to carry my own bag.  When those of My Generation depart this mortal coil, no one says “but he/she was so young”. OUCH. I’ve never been this old before. Don’t laugh… neither have you.

I will enthusiastically discuss Issues of The Day as I process them within the context of my personal Life Experiences.

Oh… I read somewhere that this is the final week of The NFL regular season. By golly I made it through seventeen weeks without watching even part of one game or being tempted to do so. Making it thru The Super Bowl will be a piece of cake. My personal decision had naught to do with “patriotism” or “kneeling”. I simply am no longer interested.

“Why” I am no longer interested in The NFL might make a nice 750-word column… so long as I can be brief avoid “being grumpy”.

PS: As of “right now” – Friday 10:45 AM – “the twins” – Ruthie & Scout – have NOT arrived in far-away (and frozen) Madison; but that could change any minute. Mother & babies all doing just fine. No one is worried… but all are anxious.

##

More of BobLee -Link

AP LOGO– Link

Blondie  – LINK

NCNV

• RAZ Reply

NFL,NBA and….. MLBB [sorry BobLee]…….I actually enjoy reruns of Dallas more, its move faster…. and up to the shooting of April now

• Tin foil tar heel Reply

Good for you on kicking the NFL to the curb. I personally lose a little bit more interest with each passing season. I follow the Skins just like I follow the heels for really no other reason than I have conditioned myself to do so since I was seven. But will I stay up for both of the CFB playoff games tonight or will I give my complete rapt attention to the NFL, probably not. At the end of the day the sport has turned dull. Then again why watch a bunch of preening prima Donna snowflakes who shuck and jive Everytime they hold someone to three yards or catch a 12 yard slant route when you can go out on YouTube and pull up those great classics from the John Facenda era. https://youtu.be/mwUt1DoR8WA
      Now Vince McMahon may try to bring back the XFL, which would be a blunder, I have seen the NFL’s future and it is RPO’s run in half full stadiums. It is now 2018, dammit I want some REAL bloodlust, https://youtu.be/aVUxK1mNups

I also will also watch todays two games and the NatChamp. I watched “most” of only three bowl games NC State / WFU and Wisconsin. Did not watch a combined 10 minutes of any others. Pretty sure my life is not unduly lacking as a result.

• Ed.Fville Reply

Your Legend grows BL… your prediction that the ESPN Skipper resignation scam was indeed a scam has been revealed. “Skippy” was indeed thrown under the bus for ESPN’s litany of malfeasances.

Yep… what time frame did I give it? Two weeks? I’ll take all the credit for my Nostradamusian powers but this was a belt-high fastball to hit outta the park. Skippy is gone and Queen Jamele is on the warpath again. Imagine ESPN is Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius is smoking and belching lava… while the orchestra on The Titanic plays “Nearer My God To Thee” ….

• RMDownEast Reply

Can’t wait for the column, albeit shorter and less grumpy.

Never lack of column fodder…

• DM Carpenter Reply

Best wishes to the incoming grandchildren. Good luck with the grumpiness resolution. I am reasonably sure that AP will keep the combined average up.

Happy New Year.

AP claims he can “brief” down to 500 words… but no guarantee of non-grumpiness. 🙂

• Mark Harrill Reply

My POV is that the kneeling – while understood under the First Amendment – is being done “on the clock”, and therefore has no place on the field[s]. Leave it to some spoiled, privileged [upbringing] goober to ruin one of our most treasured past-times. Alas, the NFL can join the NBA – another “sport” in which I have no interest.

I am into Season Two of No NBA including Playoffs. Next year will be Season Three. I admit there IS a political element to my “No NBA” thanks to Steve Kerr and Gregg Popovich.

• Tom Turkeylegs Reply

Note in BL’s post, he says he does not make us grumpy, we let ourselves get grumpy. Likewise with NFL…kneeling players did not spoil football, you let it spoil and blamed them. Just sayin’.

Not sure I get your point. I don’t “blame the NFL players” for my loss of interest. I simply came to the realization I wasn’t enjoying it any longer. I don’t envision that interest returning whether the kneeling stops or not.

• Tom Turkeylegs Reply

Thought I was replying to Mark.

You were. I just didn’t get your point.

• Bosco O Reply

Are you referring to the one and only Hubert Parrott

He is Indeed! 🙂

• Brent M Milgrom Reply

Best breakfast at Morehead City is names Grumpy’s and the cook/owner sure is. Hope to see BobLee there soon!

Been staying at EI on most recent trips… but will check out Grumpy’s.

If one arrives at Grumpy’s between 7-7:30AM a Hubert P sighting is possible. I agree with the breakfast recommendation there.

• Senior Hokie Reply

Glad you resolve to not be Grumpy. Think all will agree you are not Bashful but mostly Happy. Avoid being Sneezy and Dopey. Being Sleepy is not a bad thing. What’s up Doc is all I’ve got. Happy New Year to you and yours.

I had not made the Dwarfian Connection !! Perhaps I should aim for Prince Charming?

YOU? Grumpy. Surely the folks that took that poll had an overweighted number of individuals from the dark side of the FORCE
      Actually, I might clone or piggy back on both. The internet would literally speed up by an order of magnitude
      Happy New Years to the BL household (extended of course) and your readers. Waiting is hard. Next ones, if approved, will be quicker. Our second, a daughter, screamed her lungs out inside the elevator going up to the delivery room. Fortunately, Doc Stanley chose to ride up with her mom, rather than grab a Coke in the break room where I was waiting. I heard the borning cry and thought….they must have scrimped on the insulation in the walls of the nursery upstairs….
      As a result of this traumatic entry into the cold and cruel world of Chowan county in 1972, she has always been a bit “erratic” in her planning and execution. Should have seen that coming….

My choosing to “be briefier” was NOT a suggestion to others… BUT … 🙂

• Charlotte Wuffie Reply

👍

• Wolfdon Reply

Dream on……..

Don’t mistake “feisty” for “grumpy” ….

• The Expatriate Reply

Patience may be appropriate for your list. I remember a similar vigil awaiting a baby who brought an unexpected friend. There were no such things as ultrasound in those days, so the joy was doubled, as yours will be. I tell you, Sir, all that anxiety will disappear in a flash when the little ones who up.

The only “concern” is for a 2017 tax deduction for a young pastor’s family. 🙂