BL: My All Time #1 Pet Peeve… Plus…

Mumbai Call Center
    January22/ 2018

My All Time #1 Pet Peeve is… Plus…N&O cullings

“They say” that you can gauge a person by the level of stuff that upsets him/her.  Rational mature adults don’t get sidetracked by stoopid little stuff. If one allows Life’s mundane frustrations to “get to you” how can you possibly deal with Real Problems. That said…

Am I the ONLY ONE who is perplexed by customer service / tech support on-the-phone whose accents are too thick to be decipherable?

This usually involves individuals from a “dreaded Mumbai call center”.   Whatever collective noun covers India / Pakistan or various Middle Asian countries. My primary (sole) communicating language is English / American… with a touch of “Mayberry”.

I am not Indian/Pakistan-ophobic. I do NOT blame “Hello, my name is Robert” on the other end of the phone connection.  “Robert” has the solution to my problem and is sincerely trying to convey that solution… but cannot do so.

Our only communicating medium is the spoken word and it ain’t happening. There is nothing either of us can do to resolve THAT problem in order to resolve the original problem.

WHY would any company concerned with effective customer service assign individuals to a customer service phone center that “might” have too thick of an accent to communicate with their customer?  WHY?

WHY are calls from Raleigh NC directed to employees unable to communicate with individuals unaccustomed to their thick accents? WHY?

If I was calling to arrange a cruise down The Ganges, I would expect some “issues”.  But I just want to change my Apple ID…

If a Bollywood zillionaire calls for tech-support does he get “Hello, my name is Gomer” in a call center in Muleshoe Arkansas”?  I sure hope so.

I understand that there are huge “call centers” in Mumbai, India that receive 100,000s customer service calls from everywhere in the world 24/7. I’m sure their 10,000s of employees have “all the answers” to customer concerns at their keyboard fingertips.

Would those phone centers hire ME to answers calls from customers in Helsinki or Uzbekistan? I sure hope not.

For the record… every Mumbai-based call center employee is named “Robert”… as in “Hello, my name is Robert. How may I help you?”   No Charlie or Zeke gets hired at a Mumbai call center.

Whenever I get “Robert” I know this is NOT going to end well. We are both playing solitaire with decks of 51.

Mumbai Call Center

One way around this universal issue is using “e-chat” which is texting back/forth without dealing with accents on either end. I’ve gotten where I can guess nationalities by sentence structure. That makes for stilted communication but I do get an answer to my problem. Which is all I ever wanted.

…. “Thank you for calling Mr. BobLee. Please hit Control – Alt- Delete Mr BobLee. …. I am so sorry Mr BobLee that that did not work … Mr BobLee have you tried rebooting your computer Mr BobLee? …. Very good Mr BobLee. I am so glad we could help you today Mr BobLee. Is there anything else, Mr BobLee, that we can do to help you today? Have a nice day, Mr BobLee…”

Resolving ANY issue requires using the customer’s name a minimum of twelve times. “Robert” get bonus points every time after twelve?

I’m not angry with “Robert”. Some middle manager in Silicon Valley with an MBA from Cal Tech calculated that 10,000 “Roberts” with accents so thick Ghandi could not understand them will save his/her company $.03/call.

The next time I call one of these things I’m going to say “my name is Robert” and see what their “Robert” says.

#

Duke just signed another “Greatest Since LeBron” semi-literate 17 y/o.  Roy really wanted this guy too until Duke got him at which point UNC board monkeys all declared “Roy really did NOT want him after all…”. How many Duke “one/dones” is that that “Roy really didn’t want”. I stopped counting at 28.

Don’t even bother to learn this one’s name. ANOTHER “one semester and adios” who “chose Duke because of The Brotherhood”… whatever the Hell that means. Somewhere Hack Tyson and Steve Vacendak are weeping.

##

More “culling the herd” down at The N&O. My longtime buddy John Drescher, Executive EditorDrescher for the past 10-12 years, has been reassigned as some “gobblygook something or other”… I BETCHA they couldn’t “cull” John because of his contract so they “reassigned” him, hoping he will just go away.  Just a guess….

John Drescher and Bubba Cunningham are both “a lot better” than the scummy, no-count organizations that employ them.  A WHOLE LOT better…

McClatchy hired “some woman” to replace John at, guessing again, a LOT less than they were paying John. With “shes” as both Publisher and Executive Editor, McClatchy is saving about $500,000 in executive payroll. So much for “gender equity” hypocrisy at The N&O.

Has anyone checked how many AfAms are employed at The N&O these days since they “culled” Sportin’ Life Barry a few months ago? You can count’em on one hand… or less. So much for “racial equity” at The N&O.

Milton

Further “culling” has Jim Jenkins finally retiring (wink, wink) from the N&O after 35 years of writing the same snarky editorial each week for ever how many weeks there are in 35 years. Jenkins always reminded me of “Milton” in Office Space. That schlub with “the stapler” who they couldn’t fire because he kept hiding from the firing guy.

Will Rob “RielleWho” Christensen survive another six months?

The N&O will eventually cull down to two “cheap white women” and thirteen interns.

My only other N&O friend, besides John Drescher – Dan Kane – just did an OMG expose of Wendell Murphy’s “upscale golf community” near Wallace NC. Per Dan, there are political shenanigans involving $800,000 in state taxpayer funds helping Wendell fix a sewage issue.

I reminded Dan that he might score a few points with TruBlues since Wendell is NC State’s #1 Fat Cat. … but probably not.

##

It occurred to me that my BobLee Buddies list includes, among others…

Dan Kane… Bubba “The RealAD” Cunningham… Leo Hart… The Fabulous Comparato Twins… Don McCauley… John Drescher… THEBobKennel… “JudgeBob” Orr… “PrinceAlbert” Long… Jon “The Butcher’s Lawyer” Sasser… Art Chansky… Mary “The Whistleblower” Willingham… Holden Thorp and Wade Hargrove.

That is one VERY eclectic gaggle of fine, albeit infamous, folks. I proudly stand beside one and all.

#

More of BobLee -Link

AP LOGO– Link

Blondie  – LINK

BLONDIE REALLY has a MUST-READ …. Check It Out!

NCNV

• DownEast RM Reply

I reluctantly called Apple Support yesterday after all else failed and came away pleasantly surprised. The wait was only about 2 minutes and the very pleasant and helpful support lady had a familiar accent. During one of the times when I was waiting for the system to reboot I asked her where she was located and she was in Charlotte NC. Kudos to Apple.

My experiences with Apple Support are generally positive. Visiting an Apple Store is always “interesting”. They are a theme park for compu-nerds.

Had my GS call Apple about the dying battery on his iPhone 6, which was a hand me down from his mom. Great learning experience. My daughter had taken the phone to the Apple Store and wanted to get the $30 new battery. Lots of runaround. Must file case. Must run special diagnostics app. Tech support will do remote link to determine if the battery is weaker due to the IOS issue….blah blah
        Got tired of him grabbing a charger every few hours. Got him to googling. IOS now has a built in diagnostics. Message was….your battery sucks.
        Then found the Apple Support screen and filled in the info. Apple called within 5 minutes.
        He talked to lady rep. She never did a remote. Did ask approximately when this started and such. He told hr it had gone downhill in the last 3 months. BINGO. End of fact finding. Automatic qualification for Apple lower battery fix. She then setup a delivery to the Apple store.
        Bottom line, if you have an iPhone with battery issues, odds are Apple will replace it for $30 if you call. Great learning experience for a 15 YO.

My 7S has not had a noticeable battery issue YET; but I assume Apple built-in the same “must replace” feature.

Google it. Go to battery or maybe settings and then battery. There is a self diagnostic in one of the new releases and if specifically looks for the “Drain Down my Battery” issue. BUT, if you talk to Apple, the don’t run any system analysis. They just put your replacement in the system.

• Former96Heel Reply

I truly wish more call centers were in the US, but unfortunately, wherever in America you find the large density of lower-skill service workers one needs to man the massive call center model, you also have a serious amount of folks who are neither capable of being employed, have the basic English skills to set themselves apart from an ESL voice across the world, nor the basic customer service aptitude to handle such a job. It is impossible to help someone when your whole life revolves around anger that someone else should be helping you.
      There’s a reason your call doesn’t get answered in Flint, but just for a second, imagine we lived in a world where it was. Add maybe 100,000 $10 an hour jobs that could potentially be entry-level white collar jobs, and a depressed, blighted area has a wonderful springboard opportunity. But also imagine how quickly the unions would be on those jobs. Demanding benefits for the strain of talking all day, or the repetitive injury of smiling through the phone so much. But that is all fantasy, because the left and the unions long ago destroyed education, rendering those peasants to mere votes.

Excellent summation of a deep-seated issue across America.

• PTH Reply

They are the same guys that call me to inform me that a lawsuit is being filed against me for tax evasion and fraud, or they can help me with my student loans. (None ever ) or I have won a fabulous trip to timbuktoo. Since I am retired with time on my hands I occasionally play along until they realize I am pulling their chain. Sometimes I ask if they have Prince Albert in a can!

True story. When I lived broad we became best friends with a career State Department employee who worked in the US Embassy where we lived.As he approached retirement age – 5 or 6 years ago – River Bend mailed information to a bunch of “Yankees” including my friend. He asked me about it and about Wallace. Long story short, I told him he was crazy to even consider that place or an investment there. I might have used the term S**thole to describe the area. The friend did retire last year and moved near Holden Beach. Crisis averted.

K out-recruiting Roy is not a surprise to me. Coach K, despite his potty mouth in games comes across as is a fantastic MBB coach but comes across as Sheriff Boss Hog or Jed Clampett in most every interview. UNC fat cats and fans must cringe every time he gets within 10 feet of a microphone. I simply don’t think Roy’s continuing Hee Haw sticht is winning with young one-and-done AfAm All-Americans as K’s pitch. Ultimately K is out UNCing UNC. It’s got to be killing them. Just my opinion.

Call centers are not a pet peeve for me. Texting and distracted drivers putting me family at risk is my new number-one-with-bullet pet peeve. Good piece. Not too grumpy either. 😉

Dadgummit, I too was in the midst of re-setting my Apple password (on-line, no call center) and messed up a sentence. To recruits K comes across as sophisticated. Although Roy is a fantastic MBB coach, he comes across as a Boss Hog type character.

I can those guys too…. everybody in Mumbai wears a phone headset….

• E Deploribus Unum Reply

So does that just leave drunken driver Ned Barnett in the Oh-pinions Dept?

Of course, I mean the “Oh-fishel” “Oh-pinions” Dept, since the whole paper is opinions…

• DM Carpenter Reply

Our local Thrice-weekly, Lincoln Times-News (not a bad paper for news in Lincoln County (right next door), decided to put up a paywall on the website. I am sure that they were making a dime or two from folks just looking at the paper online and triggering some ad revenue, but the paywall has people not even going there, so what little ad revenue is going away. On top of that, there is an online ‘newspaper’ (Lincoln Herald) which covers the same basic footprint, plus 1) No paywall on Herald 2) Herald updates/posts new stories regularly weekdays and weekends, as things happen, not just Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons 3) Herald does not have editorials written by the likes of Scowlcroft and a local opinion writer who is not ‘local’, and looks down upon most of his readers over yards and yards of nose, with a dismissive sniff.
      Call me naive, but I don’t see this working out well for the local birdcage liner.
      If Jim Jenkins retires, and he does not have ‘Diabeetus’ is he contractually required to return the cheesy mustache to Wilford Brimley?

It could be said of Jim Jenkins… “a most unimpressive man with much to not be impressed about.”
        I’m convinced the newspaper industry hired the same whizbang “prepare for a major cultural sea-change” consultant that Coca Cola hired to change their formula some years ago. Cannot recall any industry so arrogantly ill-equipped to adapt to a new paradigm. Their lingering death has been self-inflicted.

• Terry Price Reply

Try this when you must call cust serv, tell Robert you want to speak to a representative located in the USA. It has worked everytime for me except with Dell.

Will do. Thanks. Dell is not in my compu-orbit.

Mr. Terry
        Thanks for that tip I usually can understand and communicate with the Amazon ESL reps. Not tonight. So I asked him….”Speak slower and more distinctly or transfer me to a US representative” Bingo, Kimberly in Florida.
        Cool….

Call Centers and CSU Personnel
      I had used Dell Pro Tech Support since 2006 when I retired. Due to some idiotic electro idiosyncracies with my second Dell (usually get 5 years out of them), I switched to Lenovo. Also could not find a Dell laptop for under $4K that had two small, but required features. DID piggyback onto a buddy’s Retired IBM Friends and Family account and saved a bundle.
      Found out that Lenovo does have a Premium Support. You buy it. With Dell, the Pro Support gets a REAL USoA person in Nashville or Houston or WITHIN the USA…it covers Hardware and Support. Lenovo markets it as two separate entities. DO NOT WASTE YOUR $$ or TIME with the Lenovo Home Premium Support unless Hindu (or whatever is spoke in India) is your native tongue. You can take this to Wells Fargo….
      Amazon Prime, on the other hand, has about a 95% “comprehension” staff. I have talked to folks in the USA in Alabama and various other ports of call that are at least 20 time zones away. If you get a bad Amazon rep….you say. GOOD BYE and then resubmit your phone number on the contact screen. Odds are….it will be a good ole’ boy in Bama. Bubba lives….unless Beezos transferred him to Whole Foods to “automate” your shopping.
      I wonder if Cal of UK is losing it. How is he missing out on the One and Done’s? Had NOT heard that the BM’s, if I understood correctly, done fornicated ORW. That would be hysterical. Sort of like the Rusky Bots that bombarded all the social media “places” with “SchumerShutDown”. Then Schumer VOTED YES. YIKES, the Lib Bots are nuking him with SchumerSellOut.
      I had really HOPED that the SchumerShutDown would last thru the SOTU speech. Trump’s opening line would have been along the “2 YO Tantrum and Bullying of good, common sense Democrats….and McConnell is gonna go Nuclear in the AM and we are going to OPEN back up the US that Schumer shut down…..now, back to business….” I wondered is Chuck and his friends would have crawled under the ancient desks….or got up with Red hats and flowers and walked out. Maxine would be PROUD.
      Predict that the TWO CHEAP WHITE WOMEN that the N&O hires will NOT have Monica or Paula as their first names. OH, what you could do with that….

Other than his weekly WHY DID HE SAY THATs? Donald continues to bamboozle the lib crazies AND their media cronies. Next week they are gong for “He’s a space alien”.

• Bob H Reply

Those mega-companies like amazingBezos and Gatesoft-in-the-head and others save a great deal more than $.03 per call by shuffling the business off to Mumbai (Whatever happened to Calcutta, anyway?). Plus, they really don’t give a rat’s about you as a customer because they know that you have no alternative but to buy their products no matter how much those products might fail to do the job you want done. Remember when Al Capp – as one of Lil Abner’s pals – would say, “Whatever is good for General Bullmoose is good for the USA!” and keep right on producing shinola.
      .Newspapers are disappearing about as fast as passenger pigeons did back in the day. The primary reason is that the interwebs and social media are much more entertaining, but the downward quality spiral that started back in the ’50s has finally affected circulation so much that they cannot give away subscriptions; and its those numbers that drive advertising revenue. I look on it as being sorta like suicide in that it has been self-inflicted.
      About 25 years ago, or maybe a little less, I moved to the environs of Houston, TX, at the time that the Houston Post, a once worthy and venerable rag, was falling into its death spiral. Right after moving into my house, the Post started showing up on my doorstep without our having ever asked for it. By then it was just a lot of newsprint and ink with nothing in it to make it worth bothering to read. I’d toss it in the recycle bin without ever opening the plastic bag it came in. Has the N&O come to that since the Daniels diaspora?

Yes… “The Old Reliable” finally ran off 50% of its potential market with daily insults… then realized their “favorite afflicted faction” – The AfAm community – was a LOT smarter than they figured… they (AfAms) never subscribed or advertised. The N&O has been jettisoning employees pretty much every Friday for the past 12-18 months… Good Riddance.