BL: ANOTHER Major College Sports Scandal

January29/ 2018

ANOTHER Major College Athletic Scandal…

What do Penn State – Baylor – UNCCH, and now, Michigan State all have in common?

UPDATE:  My sincere apology to Louisville for initially omitting them from this list.  They have certainly EARNED the right to be included…

Within the past five years, each of these esteemed “institution of higher learning” have had to confront major high-profile SCANDALS within their administrations. In each case, the SCANDAL germinated from within their athletic departments, specifically their Men’s Football and Basketball programs.

In each case with these four institutions, the administrations and citizen advisory boards (“trustees”) chose to ignore the early signs of their SCANDAL by simply denying that such could EVER happen…

….”on our incredibly wonderful campus” at our “most wonderful world-renown school”.

They all chose to “go ostrich” by sticking their heads in the sand and simply hoping it would all Ostrich Response“just go away”. Their Its did NOT “go away”.

Their respective SCANDALS metastasized into much worse SCANDALS as a result of their cowardly poor leadership of their administration and oversight committees..

Surely you are familiar with the circumstances of Penn State… Baylor and UNCCH’s respective SCANDALS.

Here is a thumbnail synopsis of the current Michigan State Mess. -LINK.

UNCCH loyalists will scream no one got raped or assaulted in our SCANDAL which is true. If that is the best excuse a blind tru-blue loyalist can come up with it becomes easier to see how The Great Unpleasantness managed to exist for 18+ years at UNCCH…. THE #1 Athletic / Academic Scandal in NCAA History. So convoluted and incestuous that The NCAA simply said “Oh my, this is way too yucky for us to even try to deal with…”

Michigan State

The Michigan State Mess has two segments – Larry Nassar and the US Gymnastic organization – and aten-year on-going history of MSU FB and BB players assaulting women with little/no recrimination. The repeated incidents carefully “covered up” by coaches and administrators. The Bayor and Michigan State situations being frighteningly similar in nature and scope.

So frighteningly similar in fact that only totally naïve alumni/fans at other “major college sports programs” would assume “THAT could never happen at our school”.

Wanna bet Michigan State fans said THAT when they read about Baylor’s SCANDAL.

The “but… but… but” reactions from Michigan State FB / BBB coaches has been almost verbatim how Baylor and Penn State coaches reacted. And verbatim how the NEXT set of “major collge coaches” will react when they are exposed…. And they WILL be.

NOTE:  I no longer watch ESPN, but I wonder if provocative “journalist” Jemele Hill – a graduate of Michigan State J-School – has offered her opinion on the MSU Mess… as it does involve the African-American community and AfAm athletes ???  Just wondering….

The Michigan State President and Athletics Director both resigned last week. The fate of both the FB and BB head coaches are “on hold”. MSU Fat Cats and board monkeys are in stereotypical panic mode that their sacrosanct teams might “suffer” because of this. Just like Fat Cats and board monkeys at Baylor and Penn State… and UNCCH behaved…. And like the next school’s Fat Cats and board monkeys will behave.

The NCAA doesn’t seem to know how to handle THIS any better than it handled the other SCANDALS… or will handle the next ones.

In this Era of Absurdity in major college sports where elaborate Indoor Practice Facilities and “nap rooms” are “necessary to compete”… the thought of restricting the socio-sexual behavior of  FB and BB “student athletes” might OMG – “effect recruiting”   We can’t have THAT … and still “be competitive”..

Every major college FB/BB program recruit from the same pool of 17-18 y/os.  Primarily African-American from low-modest circumstances…

• … bring them into a socio-cultural environment unlike anything they have ever experienced…. filled with all manner of temptation and forbidden fruits… and then tell them they are “special”.
    • … tell them perfunctorily to “try and stay out of trouble” or al least “don’t get caught”.
    • … have it BLOW UP – Duh!… then try to COVER UP.
    • … mutter trite excuses that all amount to….

“You Fat Cats / alumni / fans pay me millions of $$$ to WIN GAMES to satiate your egos for bragging rights. That is what I am doing. Now you get upset that the logical conclusion to this process has embarrassed you. What did you think was going to happen? … You want me to “recruit angels”? “Angels” are not very good FB and BB players at the big-time major college level…. I can’t win “with angels.”

There are dozens more Baylor / Michigan State messes percolating “out there”. The Fat Cats and board monkeys “out there” are smirking and laughing that Penn State, Baylor, UNCCH and now Michigan State “got caught”. It could NEVER happen “at our school”.

Nothing is being done to correct the problem… nothing WILL be done to correct the problem… because…

Until it blows up at your school, or effects your daughter, most folks really don’t care all that much… taking perverted delight when rival schools “get caught”.

GO TEAM… BEAT OUR HATED RIVAL … Sis Boom BAH!

Congrats to NC State’s own “Coach K” for his, thus far, total dominance of Tobacco Road. I was in Madison WI for the Official Meet The Twins Celebration… so I haven’t heard Ol’Roy’s comments / excuses. I assume Roy blamed Donald Trump… HB2… and/or “all that junk”. Other than as comic relief, I truly don’t care what Roy thinks about anything. What a “galoot”!

So far the 2017-2018 local college sports year has been somewhat of a Karmic Kick-in-the-teeth for TGU for Old Wellers… huh?

I have kept the following on The QT, but now can tell you. THE Bob Kennel had Major heart surgery on Jan 4. Pretty much ANY heart surgery is “major” and Bob’s really was. He is now in an extended recovery phase. When he might return to “normal” is unclear as no one can define what is “normal” for Bre’r Kennel.

Given the options of a world-renown Duke cardiologist or a nationally prominent UNC cardiologist… our BK, ever fearful of hated rivals, opted for a NC State Vet School grad student majoring in Domesticated Farm Animals. Apparently it all somehow worked out OK.

The BIG WIN on Saturday in Dean’s Dome seemed to help BK A LOT!   🙂

I have been operating at half-speed the past 2-3 weeks with “The Twins” and what all. Not to fear… I am back to Locked & Loaded with a lengthy list of Fascinating Fodder “in the queue… just for you”.

######

If you enjoyed this…

2,000 more BobLeeSays commentaries – LINK.

For partisan political commentaries….

AgentPierceSaid… LINK         /    SoTheBlondeSaid…. LINK

NC News & Views

• Heart Surgery Survivor Reply

There is only one Cardiologist I found on the Rex Healthcare website with an undergrad degree From NC State University in Biomedical Engineering. I chose him as I did not want people from the corrupt UNC at Chapel Hill as, for example, SACS has recently said their medical program courses are no more valid than the AFAM sham classes. By the way, said cardiologist did an excellent job for me, installing two stents as I watched on the big screen. There are none sharper than he. Was back home the next morning and back to normal activity in less than two days. I’m sure Mr. Kennel will be back completely in short order.

BK’s surgery was at Wake Med. BK has numerous contacts in medical community so I’m sure he had a most competent surgery team.

Timely piece possibly. Jalek Felton suspended by the university, not ORW. His attorney has represented others accused of sexual assault according to local media reports and it could be something entirely unrelated to SA. UNC issued the standard boilerplate no comment due to federal privacy laws…. yaddy, yaddy, yaddy.

yeah.. been sorta following that all day today. No clue but certain that the speculation is rampant along “rivalry” lines. Got to be more than parking tickets. Hopefully does NOT involve Fats Thomas!

• FrostWeasel Reply

BobLee,
      Thanks for continuing the push the stone up the mountain. Per your article, “UNCCH loyalists will scream no one got raped or assaulted in our SCANDAL which is true.”, I would maintain that this is only true as to the facts pertaining to the academic scandal that started with St. Dean. unc-ch has a long history of rape cover-ups and harassment of rape and sexual assault victims including many recent cases.
      The fact that these cases are handled by the university and by the honor board, in many cases, is indicative of their fear of bad press hurting their reputation. I know unc-ch[eat] (sorry, had to slip that in) is perception first, but how can criminal cases be remanded to a council of students for adjudication?
      As far as major college sports are concerned, the ncaa has shown its reticence to really punish most major schools. If they think they can get away with little to no punishment, (see unc-ch) or ignore things until they blow up in the media (see MSU and PSU), they will do that to not rock the boat. Frankly, the only solution is to remove all revenue sports from schools and do away with the ncaa. My proposal is to create a system of clubs ruled by a governing body with a salary cap. The clubs have FB and MBB teams, pay the university for the usage of their name, colors, logos and other trademarked materials, and are then governed by a body built from scratch.
      For the record, I am a State grad. Go Pack!

Anticipating one day being declared Czar of Big Time College FB/MBB, I have two plans for a drastic reorganization… for the purpose of “draining this swamp”. One of my plans follows yours pretty much.
        I probably need to explain both plans in detail so when either IS implemented all the world can say “That was BobLee’s Plan”.
        As for St Dean (AND Roy) likely covering up his “student athletes” socio-sexual misdeeds over the years, I don’t doubt that likelihood at all. A sycophant administration would have certainly agreed to whatever he “ordered” them to do.

• FrostWeasel Reply

Bob,
          When you become czar, remember my ideas here and appoint me your sub-commissioner. 😉

Great work as always.

• TarSpartan Reply

As a graduate of both UNC and MSU, I should just tell people where I went to high school…

In all seriousness, the MSU scandal goes back even farther than the current allegations. When I was a student (1999 or so), MSU and Nick Saban were recruiting a tight end named Eric Knott who was accused of rape. As soon as the charge was pled down to 4th-degree assault, he got a scholarship offer. More details can be found in this Leonard Pitts article from 2001.

I’m sure Nick knows every trick in the recruiting book. He probably invented most of them. Did you see where “Magic” wants to clean house in East Lansing?

• TarSpartan Reply

Nick invented most of the tricks *and* he “lied to ‘dem boys” like Mack. For a while I thought I was cursed to drive off football coaches.

No, I had not yet seen Magic’s take on things since work has me on a different schedule (and continent) right now, but I’m not surprised. Of course, there are rumors about the goings-on when he was in school, too. Nothing that rises to this level, but college sports scandals are nothing new. I’ll skip the obvious Ecclesiastes reference.

Earvin stopped just short of calling for Izzo’s head but was pretty clear as far as everyone else’s. The Spartan with the Warriors is pretty upset too.

Magic’s impeccable past really carries a lot of weight. Surprised Joe Kennedy did not weigh in last night. Spartan chapter of #MeToo not doing much

East Lansing Fat Cats are laying low these days …. Betcha there are lots of laughs over in Ann Arbor… Huh?

• PTH Reply

Has Anson Dorrence resigned or has he gone to Hollywood to start a new career producing movies. Oh! No! He is still at UNC, how can that be? Those UNC coeds must be of the same Ilk as Paula Jones and all those other “Slick” Willie skanks!

I thought Anson went into some Witness Protection Program 6-8 years ao. Figure he’s managing an Arby’s in Flagstaff AZ.

• geek49203 Reply

Current NCAA leadership knew 10 years ago about the sex scandal. They also knew about the UNC “great unpleasantness”. Probably they heard the “rumors” bout there being a defacto salary scale for blue chip talent.

Tell me — why is the NCAA building still standing? Why aren’t the locals storming the place with pitchforks, with the word of the day being “Defenestration”?

• ENC#1 Reply

The NCAA Fat Cats who make good money also have the attitude “this will go away if we wait long enough”…..the NCAA has no power anymore. I think they did when Walter Byers was in charge but now the CYA crowd runs college athletics at member schools and at the NCAA.

Too much money involved, mega conferences, IDPF with free beverages…..I could type all day.

Alas… there seems to be an influential faction that disagrees with our POV…

• CNR Reply

Walter Byers protected schools and persecuted/prosecuted schools. Those protected included UCLA, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Texas, Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Wisconsin, UNC, Duke, Iowa, Washington, and Cincinnati.
        Those persecuted/prosecuted were Auburn, Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas A&M, North Carolina State, Michigan State, and Kentucky.
        Understand, the two lists included a time period of nearly half a century which would put some schools on both lists.
        The most persecuted and prosecuted coaches were Jerry Tarkanian and Adolph Rupp. Don’t giggle over those two names. There are many good guy coaches who have agreed.

NOTE: CNR knows more than 10,000 board monkeys. He was THERE.

To quantify your insightful comment. About 4 or 5 years ago, I happened across a FOIA PDF of the NCAA filings. At that time, the NCAA listed over $750 MILLION (3/4 Billion) in “reserves. Fidelity and Vanguard had most of the cash and it was deployed into a 50/50 mix of Growth and Income (CD’s and Bonds). That portfolio would be worth probably 1.2 – 1.3 BILLION today. Now WHY do they need that much “petty cash?
        Not to be outdone, a friend was privy to the internals of the ACC. Johnny Boy got almost HALF a BILLION in reserves….think about that. That is why the NCAA can hire all the ex-Jocks and John Boy can erect new facilities….

The MO remains the same. Only the names change. Louisville belongs on the list. At some point it could be easier to keep up with schools not on a naughty list.

Wishing Mr Kennel a speedy and full recovery. The old axiom; Was it serious? When it happens to you personally, it always is.

YIKES! I can’t believe I left out Louisville !!!!!!!

• CNR Reply

Also non-indicted Florida State and Notre Dame. There are heated arguments between Texas Aggies regarding the hiring of Bimbo Jimbo. The history of rapes by football players at Notre Dame goes back at least to the last years of Ara. Absolute disgrace for a Christian school. Shame, Shame for Old Notre Dame.
          The University of Our Lady is special to me as it is the first college that was mine at the age of three. That was the year of my first visit. I knew the words to all of the tunes. I knelt at the Grotto, attended Holy Communion in the Basilica, sat and stood at the nearly new stadium, and visited Rock’s grave. I walked the Lakes for the first time while humming The Minstrel Boy. At that time I knew the history from the beginning with Fr. Sorin. The special prevaricating letters I receive from President Jenkins of ND make me literally sick in my stomach and pained in my heart.
          How many are aware of the cabal protecting the football and basketball teams at so many universities? It includes law enforcement, prosecutors, politicians (no surprise), administrators, and the jock-sniffing, long-armed boosters.
          How anyone can rationalize abhorrent behavior is a mystery to me. Especially one who is an alumnus of a college which has the word Veritas carved in stone on campus, such as Harvard.
          Keep hammering BL!

My old friend… I fear there are many more among the “guilty” than among the “innocent” programs within The Power 5 cabal. When Senior Admins, Trustees, millionaire coaches and The Fat Cats are all “in cahoots” for the sole purpose of Just Win Whatever It Costs it is hard to imagine any positive changes in the “way its being done”. The delinquent adolescents are simply allowed to do whatever they please because without them… the program can’t WIN.

• CNR

Absolutely astute observation. Many more, including those not in Power 5 conferences. Other than St. John’s in Minnesota, most National Champions at all levels fit the mold. Many of those coaches have moved up the ladder of competition with success through cheating at all but D-3.

View the ESPN special a few years ago that chronicled a year at Northwest High School in Lincoln City area of Dade County. Ouch!!!

Coach, I left out Notre Dame purposely and was hopeful you would comment. I’m certain you’ve forgotten more of the shameful history of the Irish than I can ever know or need to know. The faux outrage by some when it happens at other schools turns 180º into sickening self-preservation when scandal comes calling at their own doorstep. The cabal of enablers of which you speak is truly disgusting.

• uncleron Reply

Last Saturday morning, I went to see the UNC JV team play. They tipped off at 9 am with no cameras, cheerleaders or media in attendance. Hubert Davis coached them and I must say it was the most well disciplined basketball team I’ve seen play in quite some time. Plenty of dunks, lots of passing, good defense and if Bojangles cared, we’d have gotten biscuits. What a throwback to a time when student athletes were still athletes.

FWIW… I understand the “full house” in DD on Saturday was one of very few these days. Kenan is not the only UNC “venue” with empty seats these days.

• MAHA Reply

Don’t watch ESPN anymore either but read where the angry Ms. Hill had been “demoted”. Guess they still didn’t have the guts to fire her. MAHA.

Alas… ESPN’s attempts to remove Queen Jemele as its “poster child” is proving difficult at best. Yes… moving her off-air to their Official All-Black News Magazine will not diminish her Twittering which will be picked up and exploited by a like-minded media.
        I will discuss ESPN’s plight and sports media in general very soon.

BL
      Thanks for the column. I was watching some College Hoops last night in between working on a Glock trigger. DW came in and had previously asked me what all the hoopla was at MSU. I gave her a synopsis. Your “Thumbnail” link now qualifies for the “understatement” of the day award. Even to me, a purveyor of excessive prose, that were no THUMBNAIL
      BUT, it was informative. I had told DW that you KNEW there was trouble in River City when you got your OWN TAB on the ESPN Crawler. I will suggest that she read the OTL/ESPN story. Where are all the good little liberal boys and girls that frequented the Duke (and that included some recruits from down the road at UNX) who banged (PUN>>>) their pots and pans at 6:00 AM on Sunday Mornings outside the LAX House where the “alleged” crime(s) took place. NOTE….the three accused LAX players got $7,500,000 EACH (less Joe Seer Sucker Cheshire’s minimal fees) since Duke and the Profs that signed the Dukey Newspaper Article were sued and a Judge (conservative?) and Jury were gonna give them even MORE and Joe Litigated it to the $22.5K. Lawsy….Lawsy….hope that MSU has good personal liability insurance for their staff and faculty.
      The lads at NCSU are not immune from such behavior….and “partying” has been going on since the 60’s. A prominent female who appeared at half time in “scantily clad” attire made the FB team….all three strings (1st, 2nd and 3rd) as she lived in a basement apartment next to ours and I knew folks on the FB team…. Percy Moorman was sentenced to 26 years in 1986 for triple penetration of a coed NOT of his ethnicity. He claimed that if he had been a white dude, he would have never been arrested. BUT, he did get kicked off the FB team. Conviction was later overturned and reduced…but he was still convicted of many felonious charges and placed on parole and eventually violated that.
      Br’ Kennel, if you read this. Get well soon. You need to be on the sidelines cheering on the proposed impeachment of Trump. Maxine will need some water and a fan as she will get “heated up”. Seriously…hang in there and keep your stress level down. OPPS, that might mean you have to NOT read this…let us know how you progress.
      I did not get to see the regulation game on Saturday due to GS’s Track Meet (in CH, no less). BUT, got home in time for the OT. Did watch ORW’s presser. He was laid back. Word was that during the OT, the Dean Dome Security team confiscated ORW’s Red Ryder Daisy AR as he was aiming at NCSU players….mainly the three with 20+ points and career highs). Wonder where UNX (5 – 4 ACC / 16 – 6 Overall) will be in the polls and where NCSU (5 – 4 ACC / 15 – 7 Overall) will be…IF NCSU cracks the top 25?

I’m not saying that EVERY Power 5 sports program is a “rape & pillage hand grenade with a loose pin” but MANY are for all the same reasons Baylor and MichState have been exposed as. That EVERY coach that gets caught overseeing “a loose pin hand grenade” reads the exact same “NOT MY FAULT” script word for word should tell you something.
        BK is confident that he WILL be bak in the fray soon… in time for Opening Day of MLB if not before. Our several recent exchanges have avoided our serious political differences.

As predicted. UNC moved down to #17. NCSU got a whopping 5 votes but at least got their name on the page. UNC got a total of 470 points or votes. Obviously the sportswriters THINK that any ORW Team should be ranked…

• Former96Heel Reply

The MSU situation falls into a bucket, to me, akin to PSU and possibly Baylor. The level to which admins can turn their heads astounds me. Same with the Olympic folks. It sounds as if no young girl came into contact with that cretin without being harmed. NCAA death penalty is not a punishment for a sport like gymnastics, but purging the most spineless of jellyfish who allowed this to happen is the least a place can do. Cheating someone out of an education is not noble, by any means, but stealing someone’s innocence in the name of W’s or medals is unconscionable.
      To think it cannot happen here is silly. Anywhere folks manage without a moral compass is open to this kind of abuse.
      Hope BK gets well, I was wondering where he was. Prayers and good thoughts his way, as hopefully his Pack can give his ticker something worth fluttering over in March.

Certainly UNCCH’s TGU Scandal was of the “white collar crime” variety. That no innocent bystander was physically injured by their extended nefariousness is noteworthy. That said, I would not put it past Roy to cover up any misbehavior as he proved with PJ Hairston several years ago. Larry is not overseeing a Boys Choir either as is documented. Every Power 5 FB/MBB coach knows that WINNING is why he is so well-paid PERIOD! … Too early to tell with KK other than he IS a Pitino disciple. Uh Oh!

• CNR Reply

You have joined Doug in your perfectly placed ability for a succinct statement, this time regarding degrees of cheating.