BL: A Great Game… then the usual urban rioting. And…

Eagles Win
    February07/ 2018

A Great Game… then the usual street rioting. And…

I’m sure most of the “civilized world” (which gets smaller by the hour) has been wondering – Did BobLee watch The Super Bowl? Yes, I did.

Most of you know I chose not to watch The NFL this season. I was NOT boycotting or “protesting the protests”. I simply chose not to watch. And I’m now a season and a half into “not watching The NBA” for the same NOT reasons. I am also avoiding gluten and “dairy”… except for a splash of creamer in my morning coffee. I am in the process of switching over from coffee to tea… with honey.

The NFL… The NBA… gluten… dairy… and “attending any sports event”. That’s my five “don’t do’s” for now. In my overall Decluttering Of My Life look for additions to this list.

I totally avoided all the pre-game falderal. I turned on the TV at 6:15 on Sunday to see how the SSB would be handled and I did watch the game itself. I did NOT watch “halftime”.   I read where some pinheaded moron complained that Justin Timberlake was “too white” to be The Super Bowl halftime entertainment. … moving right along.

It was an incredible football game by any measure you want to employ. I still can’t name any Eagle except the QB Nick Foles. I could not have named him a week ago.

My All-Time Super Bowl play is still David Tyree’s helmet-catch from Little Brother Eli; but there were certainly some doozies in this one.

I normally pay zero attention to the announcers. I don’t get into “hating announcers” although I realize it is a passion for many fans… along with blaming the refs. That said… IMO, Chris Collingsworth was simply awful. There were times his incessant babbling had me thinking Bill Walton was doing the game. Al Michaels is THE classiest modern-day play-by-play guy. Al had to be going nutz with Collingsworth’s flatulent yakking. I imagined Al reaching over to unplug Collingsworth’s mic.

The game was literally in doubt to the final play… but with 2:00 to go, it was “likely” the Patriots would lose. That would, and did, unleash the army of Brady-Haters. Gazillions of human hairballs hate Tom Brady. He is the total package of “success”. Everything human hairballs despise and envy. I went to one national sports website Monday morning and half the articles were some version of “Tom Brady choked” and/or “Tom Brady is over-rated”.

Meanwhile in Philadelphia… the ubiquitous “urban street rioting” took place. “A tradition like no other” when any high-profile pro/college sports team wins a Big Game.

Phila Riots

At one point in my life my bucket list DID include “be in Times Square for New Years’ Eve”. I never did that. I can’t recall ever being part of a “post-Big Game Win Street Riot”. I appreciate that such “celebrations” have special memories for some. I guess I can see where an excuse to “loot & pillage” has a perverse appeal… overturn a few cars… tear down some utility poles… et al.

Somewhat related… about 15 years ago one of the local Triangle-area colleges won a big football game – “big” by ACC standards. The students “rushed the field” and at least one students sustained a serious injury – a broken arm. A board monkey moron the next day noted “that’s the piece you pay to have a winning program”. OoooKay.

Philadelphia has more than its share of “provocative” sports talk shows. In the wake of the latest Philly Street Riots, one notorious yakker noted that Philadelphia’s post-game street riots were no worse than many other cities’ post-game street riots. Detroit, apparently, is the Gold Standard of sports-related street riots. If less than a dozen bystanders are gunned-down it’s considered “mild”.

There is absolutely nothing about the current socio-cultural behavior trending in America to think such street rioting is not going to increase in intensity.

A noticeable increase in “street rioting” has been documented in the fall of pretty much every once-great civilization since the dawn of time. The combustible combo of “street rioting” and “social media” could escalate our total collapse… time will tell.

Did I just violate my resolution not to be grumpy”? I don’t mean to sound “grumpy”.

NOTE:  Is there A NEW SCANDAL abrewing “amid Kenan’s lofty pines” involving Air Jordan shoes being sold (illegally) by enterprising young Fedorians???

Will I watch Roy v Mike this week? That I even know it is “this week” surprises me. I haven’t watched 20 minutes of College MBB this season. I know that UVA is doing very well, and, of course, that NCSU’s new Coach KK has far surpassed anyones’ expectations this year. Beyond that you don’t want me as your partner in Team Jeopardy if the category is College Basketball 2018.

Between my long list of audiobooks, a strange addiction to Ancient Aliens and endless reruns of Shark Tank, there are only so many hours in my day. I do NOT watch that “All Hitler All Day” channel.

I did see a VERY good movie last week – The Greatest Showman – with Hugh Jackman as PT Barnum. It is kind of a Broadway Musical Movie. Check it out!

The past five years, I’ve averaged about 2.5 “go to a movies” a year. Now I’ve got 10 months to get my other 1.5 in. A new Lara Croft movie comes out in March PLUS … Bruce Willis in a remake of Charles Bronson’s classic Death Wish. I might gorge myself on five movie this year !!!

Oh Oh Oh … I AM following MLB of course. I have some incredible insights on the brouhaha developing over the Free Agent signings issue. … But I have reached my self-imposed 800 word limit. … next time

####

If you enjoyed this BobLeeSays commentary… here are 2,000 more you might like too – LINK.

For overtly partisan (NOT Liberal) commentaries, check out AgentPierceSaid… and SoTheBlondeSaid.

NC News & Views

Juicy details on shoegate please. The only recent thing I’ve found is an opinion piece by Ned Barnett saying UNC should release details of coaches payment with its Nike sponsorship. UNC sponsored by Nike. Ned Barnett sponsored by Jack Daniels? 😎🥃

Al I know are comments from several of my UNC Insiders about reselling of complimentary Air Jordans to collectors. Supposedly 40+ pair have been sold by UNC FBers. Sounds plausible but thats all I know.

• JD Reply

I don’t think it was a great game. It was more like watching the Holiday Bowl. It would be nice to see the teams at least express interest in making the other team punt.

• Mr. Movie Reply

Besides the requisite rioting (windows broken, couches burned, cars overturned) a young fan ate horse poop and posted his endeavor on social media. Somewhere Divine is smiling.

Ben Franklin would be so proud…

• Babs-in-Derm Reply

Collingsworth has been horrible for long time. Here’s what I saw of the game: I was flipping to find the news at 10:00 and came across it when Brady and Co. had the ball and needed to score a TD to win. I saw him get sacked and Philly get the ball. That was IT. No pre-game anything or halftime. Nada. I love me some Tom Brady, and the Eagles are at the very bottom of my NFL list. I didn’t watch a game all season, so no reason for this one either.
      The only college BB game I watched was when State beat Duke – what a game! I will watch tonight, as the one thing I can’t give up is Duke/UNC.
      Thanks for the heads-up about the P.T. Barnum movie. I absolutely Love Hugh Jackman, one of the few “talented” in the movie industry.

I had not hard about the movie. Just happened on it. It is a musical-movie with “Wolverine”.

The NFL, not Chris Collingsworth, created this mess with what IS/what is NOT a catch and it showed throughout the season. I watched all season long. Viewers, refs, announcers, coaches, players, don’t even seem to know anymore. Game to game calls and in same game calls are inconsistent. One “catch” would be waved off. Another “catch” looking the same as the no catch would be called good. This happened the entire season and in the past few seasons. Presumably, sooner or later, it’ll be figured out. Probably. Maybe. Unless there is some broad internal NFL conspiracy to self-destruct itself by 7 minute long frame-by-frame slow motion replays. If Collingsworth babbled on endlessly and sounded confused it was because he was confused along with the rest of us. NBC could have helped itself by having a current or ex-NFL rules official available to comment on iffy plays. The need for a booth referee explains a lot of how the NFL has messed around and messed up something that’ actually pretty simple. Sign of the times I suppose. Sigh.

Sigh indeed…. I thought a former ref expert was standard these days ??

• DM Carpenter Reply

For Detroit, a mere dozen ‘innocent bystanders shot’ is ‘Tuesday’, and a slow one at that.

In Happy TV land, today I discovered we have a new OTA TV network, Quest, and it shows reruns of SWAMP LOGGERS. It tickles me that Hollywood feels the need to subtitle people from SE North Carolina.

ANCIENT ALIENS is an interesting show. Just once, I would love to see one of the ‘experts’ just say, “No, this theory is crap, and it directly contradicts the theory of the last episode.” (Also, I am a State fan, and I am hoping for one good season without a Jekyll and Hyde team.)

Combining Ancient Aliens and the Hitler 24/7 Channels could be interesting…

• DM Carpenter Reply

As I recall, “History” channel, home of Ancient Aliens, used to be the ‘All Hitler All the TIME!’ channel. I guess I am becoming a grumpy old History guy. So many ‘History’ shows these days leave me gritting my teeth. The BATTLE 360 series, with naval graphics that appear to be swiped from World of Warships is particularly bad. In the interest of full disclosure, my TV watching has dwindled the last few years. I discovered Old Time Radio channels on an app. I can listen to CBS RADIO MYSTERY THEATER, THE LONE RANGER, THE GREEN HORNET, DIMENSION X, etc, while fiddling on military vehicle restorations.

I also enjoy Aerial America. Incredible photography albeit a narrator who does not share my political POV.

• DM Carpenter

I have not seen that one.

Smithsonian Channel

• DM Carpenter

Thanks, I will see if we have that channel. (Normally, if I watch TV, it is in my study, where I have a TV with an antenna. I watch the old TV and movie networks, now available.)

• TarHeel69 Reply

Glad that I was able to “tick one off” your bucket list – my wife and I were at the Y2K ball drop in 1999/2000 – very cool!

That one coulda been THE BIG ONE!

• Lakepacker Reply

I have heard people complain about Collingsworth before and never understood the hate. After the SB, I get it. His incessant rambling about catch vs no catch seemed to go on for half the game. If he does another one, it may be a case for cutting the sound off and just watching. By the way, late congrats on the twins. You have entered the fun phase of life, grandparenting. Enjoy.

Grand parenting is quite grand so far … 👍

WHAT….BL? Dast you say you DID? I have probably watched 20 – 30 minutes (on air…not field) of the season. When the idiot Roger folded, I decided that my time was better spent on other things. I did not watch the game. But, for some reason, I did catch the last 2 minutes. It MIGHT have been the double Crown Royal that I had that helped me doze off during the DVR playback of Jay Leno’s garage and I woke up and mindlessly saw it. That WAS the game. SO, I actually did watch “it”.
      The rioting was actually calm. No deaths or such. I had my “Bucket List” moments when we did the DC mall on July 4. BUT, the spookiest bucket list item was July 4, 2002. We decided to drive from Bethesda to Baltimore and watch the celebration in the Baltimore harbor. What was spooky….there were more snipers on the building than sports reporters in ORW’s back pocket. Every building had 3 or 4. Even my non-observant son picked up on that.
      As to BB, I have been to almost every Home game, save the ones where a conflict came up and we could peddle our Champions Club tickets for a nice price…above face….Kevin Keatts looks like THE REAL DEAL. The first RD we have had since Jimmy V. His new format coach’s show is done nicely by Tony Haynes and Taylor D. Adams. He seems really committed. He also seems to be focused on BB rather than feminine anatomy, Industrial Engineering analysis of X & O’s, What AM I DOING HERE, and Loyalty. I THINK that about sums up our past 4 coaches. NOW he is NOT the Professor Harold Hill that Jimmy V was. BUT, he does seem to be a good motivator and also takes pride in what the team does. Will he ever be another V? Will he every reach Mikey’s lofty stats?, I don’t know. BUT, for the first time since 1990, the Pack seems like it knows HOW to win and can be focused on WINNING and not panic….like they have done before. Time will tell. I followed the Pack and Gottfried to St. Louis. If Keatts goes to the DANCE….I just might go and then keep on going. 2011 was a LONG time ago…
      I was surprised that you left out the robbery of GroanINSKEEP (sp?) residence while he was “On a Super Bowl Trip”. I listened to the 911 audio…and he obviously has not watched the BC turned Panther MLB Lukey K. Otherwise he would have had a CPI system and his wife would have video of the perps. He should have called Richard Childress and had him house sit….
      Selling SNEAKS that you were given by the SCHOOL? That is a crime punishable by the NCAA death penalty….it is written and there is a precedent. I thought my GS’s used sneaks business was cool…but UNX boys selling their MJ’s? PLEASE tell me that is an early April Fool’s joke. OH how the PP boys (and girls…there are NO TG’s in that crowd) will HOWL over that one….

For the very little that I’ve read… my only concern w/ Coach KK is his SlickRick Connection. He has gone thru Tobacco Road like Sherman thru Georgia which should earn him a new contract before Frau goes adios. Certainly he is not at all intimidated by RW or MK. Of course, if he gets too successful too early the other Power Five Fat Cats will come acalling with their deep pockets. … I heard earlier today that DD is having a good “signing day” and that VaTech got more top players out of NC than Larry did … Uh Oh!

• Bosco O Reply

I attended the ’82 street riot in Chapel Hill. Several beers at Troll Schaffer’s bar followed by strolling down Franklin Street with two other adults. We quickly departed without being knocked unconscious by flying full cans of PBR along with whatever loose items that could be flung skyward. BTW, the NFL stadium in Philly is the only one with a jail in the basement.

I realize that “a Franklin Street Victory Riot” is somewhat of a “tradition” at UNC… as is “burning benches” over at Duke. Not sure what they do at NCSU. … Just not my cup of tea.

• Ken Stewart Reply

I remember an incident in 1974 involving a coed sans T shirt down at Hillsborough Square.