BL:  Why “Papa John” should buy Starbucks… Huh?

Narcos
    July18/ 2018

BLS Header

Q: Is This Column “Political”?

A: Nope …. SORTA …. More Than Sorta …. Incoming!

Why “Papa John” should buy Starbucks… Huh?

Today’s title is 90% Click Bait to attract curious passerbys. Not quite on a level with Nekkid Homicidal Lesbian Cheerleaders but in the general category…

And that picture of Narcos up top has nothing to do with Papa John or Starbucks…

To my knowledge, John Schlatt… Whatshisname formerly of “Papa John’s” has no interest or likelihood in purchasing Starbucks, but maybe…

I will have a few random comments about Papa John’s Dilemma as well as the Starbucks’ kerfluffle of a month or so ago. But FIRST…

ARROW DOWN.

I just binge watched the first two seasons of NARCOS on NETFLIX. If you are a fan of Drug Cartel-related dramas this is a must-see. It is a fictional documentary of the life and times of the infamous Pablo Escobar. Supposedly a pretty accurate dramatization.  Pablo is universally considered All Time Drug Kingpin #1. El Chapo being #2.

If you are a fan of Scarface et al… this is kinda the same but without any actors you have ever heard of. NARCOS on NETFLIX…

Sorta related… I use Apple TV to get Netflix and MLB.tv. I updated my Apple TV “black box” this week from a Gen-2 to a Gen-4 and the difference was awesome.

More.

I guess I gotta say something about What Larry Fedora Said…. It has “gone viral” … The best I got is:

When Bubba got the call from ESPN wanting his reaction to “… Your coach just made some really stoopid comments about Football…”

Bubba’s first reaction was “Oh crap… why is Roy talking about Football.

.More.

I usually skim the Sports Home Page of USA TODAY in my morning news update. I “might” actually open 1-2 stories but often find absolutely nothing of interest TO ME.

Last week I noted stories about FOUR current/recent NFL players charged/indicted on felonies ranging from Murder to the obligatory Assault on ExWife/Girlfriend. FOUR in one week seems high even by NFL Thug Standards… but maybe I’m not up to speed on current NFL Thug Statistics.

Kaeper-kneeling and Roger Goodell Whizbang Proposals notwithstanding, my now two-years of No Mo NFL (or NBA) is seeming like an even better idea than originally perceived. My self-imposed One Legend Abstaining will continue.

I don’t care for The NFL… but I bingewatched NARCOS ??? Yes… I can see the inconsistency in that.

Two weeks ago I had good-intentions of watching some of The World Cup because it looks so good on HDTV. Alas, I never got around to doing it. “Croatia” used to be one of the “…slovakias” didn’t it? Was it Yugo or Czecho?

My geo-knowledge of Eastern Europe is about as woeful as the average Liberal Arts dimwitted snowflake trying to locate “Kansas” on a map of USA… or get within two contiguous states of it

More.

That Starbucks thing in Philadelphia with the two (AfAm) guys taking up a table without ordering anything that evolved into something akin to Dred Scott Meets Jim Crow… obviously the Asst Mgr used a sledge hammer rather than a polite suggestion to resolve the situation..

Mr Starbucks out in Seattle then REALLY over reacted as you probably read about. All 10,000 Starbucks employees were forced to memorize the first two verses of We Shall Overcome and never utter the words “Tawana Brawley” under any circumstance.

In retrospect… it would NEVER occur to me to meet someone in Starbucks and NOT order something while taking up a table. If our meeting went past 20-30 minutes I would probably place a 2nd order. If I saw the restaurant was crowded and space was a premium, I would probably give up my seat and move on. I don’t recall my parents ever imparting that “how you act” but somehow I just learned it. Howsabout you?

For assorted reasons, I haven’t been in a Starbucks in at least five years. I don’t have many “let’s meets” but if I did I would choose a Panera’s or a Steak & Shake.

More.

I don’t know “The Papa John Guy” any better than I know Mark Cuban or Elon Musk or former Cardinals’ Mgr Mike Matheny. Maybe Papa John Guy is a real jerk. That his entire world was turned upside down over a reference he made in a (private) business conference call should scare the BEJEEBERS out of pretty much everyone.

I acknowledge where we as a human species have evolved regarding “slurs” and “epithets”. Personally I do not incorporate “them” in my conversations; but I am familiar with most of the more popular ones. I don’t “pepper my conversations” with F-bombs, S-bombs, or “the C-word” either. Again, I go back to “… was raised right”.

There was a moment in time where “common sense” might have raised its ugly head regarding “slurs” and “epithets” but that moment was quickly obliterated and squashed like roadkill. Now we are deep into Yeeee Haaa Land. I do not see “us” ever emerging from Yeeee Haaa Land in my life time.

*****

Related: There was also a time in America when we no longer defecated in the streets and on city sidewalks. San Francisco is, apparently, stuck in time one day before the rest of America learned better.

The City (and guess which social-political  ideology totally dominates SF municipal politics) is “solving” the problem by printing “Sh*ttiest Street Maps” warning tourists which city streets are the most defecated. … Yes, a video of Nancy Pelosi and Kamala Harris wielding pooper-scoopers down Lombard Street would fetch a pretty penny…

SF issuing “sh***y street maps is akin to Chicago issuing tourists kevlar vests to “solve” its daily street murders epidemic in Obama’s hometown.  Lib/Dems have such “interesting solutions” to their cities maladies, don’t they?

*****

.Papa John says he was blackmailed by a participant in that infamous conference call with his marketing agency… John to pay the blackmailer $6,000,000 or they would “go public”… he didn’t and they did.

I am confident “John’s” comfortable life style will survive this incident if not his personal and professional reputation. He is not the first high profile figure to be so publicly crucified; nor will he be the last. Some have and will “deserve it” for General Stoopidity. Others have and will be unfairly persecuted. Not sure which applies to “John”.

BUT WAIT.

If you haven’t … read all the Reader Comments on that recent Norm Housley column… you should. “Coach CNR” added his usual incredible insights the past several days. Check’em Out! – LINK. …

*****

What do all the following have in common: …. Dave Bristol … Jack McKeon… Clyde King… Roger Craig… Mike Shildt ???

• TheCowdog Reply

So…more on Fedora later? Look. You might not believe his comments are a fireable offense, but I’m not so sure about that. I wonder what the moms and pops of these kids think. Nothing says “I’ll take care of Junior, Mrs…” more than statements like that. One wonders what LF’s own concussion protocol baseline scores are.

Obviously, with camp so close, it ain’t gonna happen…yet. Wolfpack fans hope as much.

• UNCBlue Reply

BL, its one thing to use a businesses restroom without buying a product. That is not the case at Philly Starbucks. These two men were using the store as their office. The incident smells to high heaven of just another shake down. Take a look at story of “millionaire” Frank Davis who claimed someone snuck in room and left racial epithet note in hotel room. That story fails smell test as well. Marriott appears to have handled much differently.

NOTHING we read in MSMedia can be taken at face value especially anything involving “racial” incidents.

• JD Reply

I agree with Coach Fedora. The only thing I would challenge him on is that it’s going to take 10 years. I would say this year the NFL is going to be completely unwatchable if this new helmet rule is enforced as written.

More on Coach Fedora later today.

Having the News & Record, N&O, and other rags calling for termination of Larry because of CTE comments is reason enough to oppose it. My simple question to Larry would be why even go down that rabbit hole?

It was an unwise comment but hardly worthy of a public beheading… now on to the shoe scandal …..

• Porgie Reply

Twas mainly on his CTE comments and seemingly lack of knowledge on the subject.

Again… hardly reason for termination IMO. But ample reason to be ravaged by rival fans and media.

• Porgie Reply

G’boro N&R called for “the Hat” to be terminated in this morning’s editorial. Two days after articles in the same paper declaring UNC_CH “NCAA free”

Thats – termination – a tad bit severe from what is known at the moment. Having a minority opinion on a subject should be permitted in “America”. The whole truth behind the Selling Shoes Scandal might lead to some dark places however…

• Chuck Vipperman Reply

(Shame blog cross-post)

“There are three occasions I can remember where I was in a restaurant or bar and was asked to order something in order to remain. If I had cavalierly told the manager that I had every right to keep my fat arse where it was and that there was nothing they could do about it, I would fully expect my next conversation to be with the police. If I continued this line of thinking with the officers, I would fully expect to be arrested. In each case I ordered a drink. That is the response of someone who realizes they are a guest on someone else’s property, and that expectations call for them to follow certain rules of behavior. That is the way you handle things when you know that this world was not created to bend to your whims.”

What I / we don’t know is the chain of events that led to the LEOs getting involved in Philly Starbucks. Does seem like it coulda been resolved waaaay before LEOs were needed. … Were the perps profiled? Was it a growing issue at that location? Had the AsstMgr been told to watch for squatters ???

BUBBA… CALL RED ADAIR !!!
      I think Bubba might need to call Red Adair (yeah, I know Red’s dead but you know what I mean)… this Selling Shoes Scandal might erupt into a FIRESTORM in a hurry. … Larry oughta know you can’t recruit Street Hoodlums and only win Three Freakin’ Games ….

• Former96Heel Reply

I actually have made it a habit when stopping at restaurants to visit the facility first, typically just to wash my hands. I have zero issue whatsoever in leaving without purchasing anything, although I understand the logic of buying something small. My wife goes bezerk if I don’t buy something. If that bathroom is not at least a B on my grading scale of cleanliness, I sure as heck don’t want to consume anything that comes from ‘behind the wall’. If the franchise owner or manager has not taken it seriously enough to make certain their restrooms are extremely clean, I am assuming they are not taking the extra effort to make sure their food service equipment is not also pristine. Of course, I am also not going to hang around the dining room without buying something either.
      That goes for a drink as well. Ice bins that are not scrubbed often quickly grow some nasty slime and mold. No need for me to go into brand names, but if you feel like you may be in a bus stop in the restroom, it’s not worth spending money on their food. Same goes for a city. I always wanted to see San Fran, but if they are issuing human waste warnings, I will skip down my list to the next destination.

I don’t ALWAYS purchase something if I just run into to use the restroom; but usually I’ll buy a soft drink. I always make a purchase if I’m using a table for a meeting. I tend to avoid 95% of FF places for nutritional reasons.

Most of this column can come down to manners and consideration for other people that are evidently not taught to some. Civilized people do not squat in restaurants without paying for something, nor do they squat on the streets as their toilet, and they typically don’t use the words that Papa did either. Seeing these stories, this is the society the leftists want us to be and it is rapidly going that way.

Doesn’t the term “liberal” indicate doing away with constraints on personal / public behavior? “Do your own thang”

• Petejcg Reply

I use Starbucks to meet with clients, I am a CPA operating out of a home office, and I always purchase something while waiting and meeting. It just seemed like the right thing to do, and I don’t particularly like their coffee. Same thing when traveling with the family, potty stops at Mickey D’s purchase at least a drink. These places are not in business to provide meeting space or clean restrooms, those are just side benefits to selling product. I was also surprised at how good Narcos was, enjoyed the entire series.

You were just “raised right” too. 🙂
        I am 1/2 thru Season 3 now… The Cali Cartel.

REPLY to BobLee

Caitlin Upton. Miss SC Teen USA hottie responding to the question “Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can’t locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?…….”I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh, people out there in our nation don’t have maps and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future. For our children.”

Just in this morning. Clemson DC Brent Venables has been offered a 5 year contract totaling $11.6 million. Gene Chizik got hosed by Bubba and UNC.

Oh. I do recall her brief celebrity moment but it’s not top-of-mind. “Commie Girl” in The Bronx is rising fast in the SAID WHAT list.
        I saw that piece about Venable. After a point its all just Monopoly $$$.

• Terry Price Reply

Check out the Tom Cruise movie “American Made.” It features Pablo and other drug kibgpins in a movie said to be based on a true story…whatever that means. I think you will enjoy it.

Will do. Thanks

• Robert. Kennel Reply

YeeHaa !!!! Would never have put Roy, Larry, Caitlin, and Donald in the same category 🤐
      Still enjoy your range of disparate current issues.

Caitlin ????

• Blake Pace Reply

Papa John took the entire staff of the Boone, NC store to lunch at the Broyhill Inn restaurant at Appalachian State one day in the early 2000’s. As they were leaving the fifteen or so people were all saying, “Thank You, Papa John”! As he passed by the Piano Player Papa John gave the Piano Player $40 in his tip jar.

I have never forgotten the nice man and how he treated not only his Franchisee, but the stranger at the keyboard.

I was that piano player so I know this story is true.

I have no reason to doubt he was/is an honorable man. What has happened to him could happen to 95% of high profile successful businessmen.

Pablo didn’t play. He must have quit school in the 2nd grade because there was recess. Narcos Season 4 will be moving north to Mexico.
      Roy and Larry are in neck-to-neck competition with Caitlin Upton for GOAT responses or comments when semi-intelligent adults are present. Maybe Bubba should start making a list of interview questions for all of his future coaching hires. Geneva Convention, The Helsinki Accords, Gun control, Paris Climate Agreement, Palestinian solution, NAFTA, illegal immigration, along with the mundane W’s and L’s, offensive and defensive philosophy of candidates. One can never be too prepared in today’s world.
      Piles of s**t in the streets. Now there’s something you don’t usually find in the tourist guides. I noticed the long cheery video put out by Kinston leaders extolling how great the town is now didn’t include the East Bright Street Cowboy either. Didn’t watch it long enough to know if the GTP made the final directors cut.
      I like this type of column a lot.

Yeah yeah yeah … EVERYBODY likes the potpourri-style columns. Been hearing that for years… probably oughta start taking the hints! I think I will..
        I watched all the new Kinston CofC video. Does NOT mention Bright Street Cowboys… but was well-done for what its purpose is, I think.
        Pablo RIP… now dealing with Gilberto, Pancho and the Gentlemen of Cali…
        Not sure how this latest UNCCH stuff is going to wash.. Not just LARRY SAID WHAT but now the “selling shoes” stuff. Better call those Big $$$ lawyers again. Bubba has’em on speed dial.

• Chuck Vipperman Reply

Dave Bristol … Jack McKeon… Clyde King… Roger Craig… Mike Shildt ???

Ya mean Mike “Schmidt?”

The first four all managed big league teams.

Mike Shildt – from Charlotte – is the new (interim) Manager of The Cardinals. All five are natives or ex patriots to North Carolina and, yes, all managed MLB teams.