Is Chapel Hill now “The Angry Mob Capital of America”?

CHill Mob
    September09/ 2018

BLS Header

Is Chapel Hill now “The Angry Mob Capital of America”?

DAMN IT… My incredible NFL Kaeper-Kneelers / NIKE Ad column gets pre-empted AGAIN. This time by the announcement from Guinness that…

Chapel Hill has been declared…

“The Angry Mob Capital of America”.

When the notorious Orange County community just had TWO Angry Mobs going – SilentSamYes and SilentSamNo, they were deadlocked with 5-6 other municipal hotbeds of “Always Pissed-Off About Something”.

Chapel Hill / ChapelBoro broke that tie big time following the humiliating butt-whuppin’ Saturday afternoon down in Pitt County. Maybe you heard about it? Maybe Larry Fedora still remembers this one?

Now there are THREE rompin stompin “WE DEMAND…” mobs parading up and down scenic Franklin Street.  Which one are “the eyes of the nation” focusing on?  Only Chancellor Chihuahua knows…

FrankStreet

Anyhoo… a FireFedora Mob had organized and were printing t-shirts and obscene signage before the UNCCH team bus had crossed I-95 limping back home. Does a Ram have a tail to tuck between its legs? Aaaaarrrgghh!

If you thought the AntiFa Hairballs and the Whistlin’ Dixie Guys were a sight, wait’ll you see several dozen goggle-eyed board monkeys determined once again to Wake up the Sleeping Giant.

In the 20 years of this website we’ve been down this Road To Perdition what … 4… 5… 6… times?

Other than the nominal fee that The City collects for an “angry mob permit”, the advantage of being The Angry Mob Capital of America is questionable. Having More Vegans Per Capita or More Prius Hook-Ups Per Paved Street might be more marketable to their target demographic.

.Fedora

I have nothing against Larry Fedora. He is “a big time college football coach”… he is NOT a “best-selling author” or a sleazy politician or a pedophile priest or a hypocritical journo-idealogue or a tenured academic pinhead.  Larry Fedora is just… a football coach.

Other than David Cutcliffe, Mike Leach and 2-3 others, “football coaches” are all cut from the same bolt of cloth. Most can’t put together two consecutive sentences without risking cliché overload. Which is not all bad as their fan base audience is largely composed of goggle-eyed mouth-breathers seeking some vicarious shred of achievement to hang their continued existence on.

When that fan base is denied that “vicarious shred of achievement” they tend to get rowdy and rather bloodthirsty. The Franklin Streeters are at that point just two weeks into the 2018 season.

When your fan base – and maybe your coaches & players too – are actually hoping that Hurricane Florence hits next Saturday morning… saving the humiliation of “a Little Big Horn” by Central Florida amid Kenan’s Lofty Pines… You Got A Problem.

When it is mid September and your fan base has only one game circled on the schedule – Western Carolina on November 17… You Got A Problem.

Basketball Season began in Chapel Hill on September 8 around 6:45 PM.  That’s about as early as any one can recall… UNCCH has Got A Problem.

If you can’t resist pumping the brakes to look at Roadkill… surf social media for “Insane UNC Fan” under various synonyms.

Watch for the truly insane ones screaming… “They”, meaning UNC, won’t get serious about Football blah blah blah…”

“Not Serious About Football” UNC just spent $32,000,000 for gaudy “recruiting bling” in the form of a ridiculous Indoor Practice Facility… For One Reason. Because semi-literate 17 y/os like bright shiny things… and because “even Wake Forest has one”.

I guarantee you that those hysterical google-eyed WE DEMAND board monkeys did NOT contribute their couch change to that $32,000,000. They never do.

A few 100 deep-pocketed Fat Cat Rams keep anteing up for Blue Zones and IPFs and whatever the next GOTTA HAVE will be. It is their trust fund $$$ to throw down bottomless pits as they choose.

Me? I’m waiting for the Gotta Go Get wish list to show up. If it hasn’t already… Les Miles – Lane Kiffin – Nick Saban – Bill Belichek – Mack Brown (for sure) – et al. Some nitwit will want “Butch” back. Carl Torbush and John Bunting?… probably not.

Are there any prime lots left at Governors Club? I recall some loonies a dozen years ago discussing “a UNC fat cat has offered Steve Spurrier a lot at Governors Club”. Steve opted for Lake Murray.

Will the UNC BOT – that has mismanaged The Silent Sam Issue into an epic train wreck – get their well-manicured fingers on this?

Will there be a 2018 version of The BOT3 to scour the countryside for The Next Messiah? Those silly jaunts are always a bountiful barrel of column fodder. I bet BOTBob Winston will NOT be among The Searchers this go-round.

Jake Wade coined the phrase “The Southern Part of Heaven”.

Will I get credit for “The Angry Mob Capital of America” ??

If you haven’t checked out my most recent column – “Dad, get me a bag of Cheetos.” PLEASE DO – LINK.

It is “one of those columns I like to write for normal folks to enjoy”. If you are “a normal folk” I think you will.

Our recent trip to Madison WI got me “off my feed” as traveling often does. I have slight intolerances to Gluten… Lactose.. and Scary People on Twitter.

By Day Three I had figured it out.  I cut out “bread on sandwiches”… “dairy in all forms” … and “fourbenefiber people I was following on Twitter” one of whom I am pretty sure was Patient Zero for Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS).

Some doses of BeneFiber and I was hitting on all cylinders again. All of Life’s Problems should be so easy to resolve…

So once again I PROMISE I will get to that NFL / Kaeper-kneelers / NIKE column ASAP. DO NOT make up your mind until you read it!

Next Time.

IF You “Do Twitter”… Follow BobLee at @BobLeeSays

2,000 more BobLeeSays commentaries – LINK

• Tin foil hat heel Reply

Carolina right now should not be giving 17 points to Rose High much less ECU. By gawd they made the pirates look….. competent.
      Back in 2006 when Burly John was circling the drain this still was a “sleeping giant. Those days are now long gone. Back then there was still enough historical momentum that some ringer like Butch could come in and in relatively short order right the ship. And that’s what he did. Larry was able to use what was left over and was able to keep mining the pipeline long enough for us all to think we had something. Now NOBODY wants to come here. I don’t know if we have gotten to Crum era levels of alienation but something is bad wrong.

IMO bringing in “Marvin and a buncha thugs” is not exactly “righting the ship” but I realize I am not a typical fan. A LOT of factors play into the current state of UNC FB including the lingering effect of The Great Unpleasantness on “recruiting”. How “they” CAN “right the ship” without another “Butch’s Way” is gonna be very difficult. State’s DD having a monster season and flying the coop might be the best hope. … I don’t think Fedora will be around to benefit from that regardless.

• JD Reply

When I saw the point spread listing UNC as a huge favorite to beat ECU I wanted to bet my 401K on it.

In the race to the bottom UNC has put a beat down on all the competition.

Maybe they can turn that 32 million dollar facility into something useful (although I don’t know what purpose it could be useful for).

Its a darn good thing they ripped seats out of Kenan and painted the ones left blue, because after 2 weeks the fan base has already found something better to do on Saturdays.

I don’t see UNC “turning it around” this season. Several seasons of “what’s left over” recruiting and on-going staff turnover has created a mediocre program. As for “buying out Fedora’s contract”… UNC seems to have deep-pockets when it comes to Rams w/ “deep pockets” to fork over the $$$. … UNC’s FB fan base is not much of a “die-hard” bunch… never have been.

URGENT NOTICE: Silent Sam will be relocated on 9-14-18 to either Surf City or Bald Head Island. Please muster all protesters into action and be there in numbers well in advance of S-Day to standby and block both possible locations until further notice. As a courtesy to those concerned and planning to protest this illegal action please be aware that some rain and slightly breezy conditions are forecasted by the National Weather Service for the next 2-3 days. Don’t miss this chance to make a difference. Pass the word.

… I trust Jim Cantore to look after SSam. What about Kinston’s “Sam”? Is he safe from the “storm surge”?

Re: Small Crowd, Big Noise. I tip my hat to those 100 or so perpetual protestors. Some of them must be smart, or at least aware enough, to know they will never fit in or compete in the open job market with their college counterparts. Career prospects: Community organizer, reporter, “artist” politician…Starbuck’s barista? I’m sure you’ll nail it.

On LF. As CNR reminded us recently, today’s big time FB & BB coaching positions are no longer about teaching and coaching players up but all about recruiting. If one can’t, they get canned. If one cam, they move up to a next level program. Many seem to move up a level and find out they’ve moved up too far. The Peter Principle in full display.

Well said. I can’t add a thing to those astute observations.

• UncBlue Reply

I like Fedora. This is what a Carolina program will look like when cheating is deemphasized. I heard a rah rah today say bring back Mack.

But But But “MACK LIED TO ‘DEM BOYS !!”. There is still a “Bring Back Butch” faction too. I am ambivalent about LF. I do believe his consistent staff turnover really hurt him with in-state recruiting resulting in a roster not as talented as fans want to believe.

• Babs.Derm Reply

“Rompin stompin” – this is a funny column. What a clusterf@#k, that’s all I can say about Chapel Hill.

The cumulative effect of the past several months are finally convincing A LOT of people about UNCCH.

• Former96Heel Reply

If there is anything they harvest at UNC, it is selective outrage. I spent twenty post-collegiate years assuming that every college had multiple protests and marches daily. The only variable was how angry and how large they would be. Now I realize UNC really is world champs at small-crowd, loud-voice protesting. How about a banner?!?!?
      The RC folks deserve their own protest. They love hiring ‘family’. Is it too soon to suggest John Blake? Just tell the BOT he’s great at recruiting. Why is watching a dumpster fire so interesting? At least as interesting as roasting in the sun watching the boys rugby punt their way into the record books.

“small crowd – loud noise” is EXACTLY right. I estimate there are 100 or so “student activists” on campus. These 100 basically show up to protest everything. Augmenting them are several 100 “college town riff-raff” who also “protest everything”. The rest of any “protests” attendees are rubberneckers there to watch “the show”.

• oldwuf vet Reply

So when does the social justice forward University decide that college football is simply a concussion production operation and an injustice to people of color and other genders/orientations and should simply be scrapped and Kenan turned into a permanent free expression site?

Hypocrisy has always been in abundance at UNC when it comes to what really happens … as in diversity enrollments etc

• RM Down East Reply

I have it on good authority that there may be a fourth group of marchers in CH soon. It seems that a certain group of purple and gold clad eastern NC folk are very appreciative of the football coach of the flagship and want to ensure that he remains employed for years to come. Word has it that a good number of our Wolfpack brethren may join in the march/ protest/ display of civil disobedence. It would be unfair of those high minded Tar Heels to fire a coach for things like winning and losing, after all in democratic socialism (the favored political thought in CH) it would be considered fascist to win in football and basketball.

“Angry Mobs” are like pretty girls getting on an elevator… there’s always room for one more! Bring It On!

Eastern NC done weathered an epic “F” storm….as in FEDORA. They will still be celebrating when Florence comes knockin’. But for NOW, all the ECU fans are giddy.
      Read that the arrested folks in Chapel Hill were the nonviolent, votive candle totin’ NO MORE SAM artwork crowd. THEY got mad because the UNC Kampaus Kops put up barricades and prevent the non-violent ANTI SAM (or anything) crowd from rumbling with the Sons of the Confederacy. When the ANTI folks got agitated….the KK done protected and escorted the Sons to safety. Then the crowd decided that protecting such a sinister group was worse than shooting a person of color (even though he were on SPEED and had weapons and was related to the incredible HULK). So they expressed their displeasure and started to attack the KK. To which the Chief KK said….”gee, these enlightened individuals were so nice at the toppling”. I think General Custer said that about the Native Americans. They hurled objects, some of the canned food they collected to,legitimize their “demonstration”, set off explosives and were profane and such. It get them arrested.
      Beat goes on. Fedora needs to win one big game and beat Doren’s lads.
      Walking 2.5 miles every morning before breakfast and a fiber pill at lunch will improve your digestive health and minimize potty time…..which is good.

The on-going confrontations between Carrboro Chapter of AntiFa and the Whistlin’ Dixie boys is a SNL skit performed by Monty Python.
        I have “a gut feel” that current Fedorians do not have the intestinal fortitude to rise out of the ashes for even 5-6 Ws much less beat DD in November. Getting all his shoe sellers back WILL improve LF’s roster depth but …..
        Already do 3mi+/5x week. Intestinal issues all fine when on home turf. On-the-go issues in airports et al require discipline.

• BOG Guy Reply

Maybe the giant’s not sleeping – maybe it’s DEAD! It’s funny how, 20 or so years ago, Mack Brown was hated by the Tarheel (is that term Racist??!!) fan base; now they think he is the second coming of Christ himself ( assuming “Tarheels” believe in Jesus Christ). Glad Fedora’s got that hefty buyout – i’d Love to see him stay around for many more butt-whippings by his in-state rivals.

“The giant” only existed as a joke by Bobby Bowden. BB must laugh every time he reads about it. Alas, I think LF is on Death Watch but will limp thru the season maybe as a lame duck like Bunting the last 3-4 games. Gonna cost A LOT of Fat Cat $$$$ to make it happen.

• Dr Wire Reply

Thanks for the definition of the truly insane ones screaming… “They”, meaning UNC, won’t get serious about Football blah blah blah…”. It fits a friend who I let rant out of respect for our continued friendship.
      The additional comment from him which is also telling is “they would never let this happen to basketball”. I am flirting with a response similar in nature to your IPF comment of “true, they just spent over $20 million to protect basketball from becoming endangered even at the expense of its academic reputation and accreditation”. I figure I will use this line about the 3rd time I hear his complaints about football and comparison to the crown jewel of basketball hoping our friendship will survive it otherwise I will hear it until the FatCats hire a messiah.

The UNC Football People versus the UNC Basketball People has been a War longer than Israel VS Palestine. It is easy to debunk EXCEPT the combatants are all drunk on their own opinions. … UNC has been incredibly fortunate to have TWO longterm highly competent coaches overseeing BB – The Dean and Ol Roy. No other BIG TIME BB schools including UK, UCLA, or Indiana has been so fortunate. … when UNC did have a brief blip in that tenure – The Doherty Era – it did not go very well.
        Mack was quite successful other than w/ FSU but was never going to gain Dean status… and Texas was a no-brainer. Butch was a Fire-Ready-Aim decision that had a predictble implosion.
        The silly IPF at $32M is the only proof necessary as a “committment” to FB as well as LF’s long term contract. Was hiring LF “a smart move”? It seemed so at the time. The only issue I’ve seen with him is constant staff turnover which DDoeren has now capitalized on in recruiting.
        I don’t see LF surviving this season but its going to cost some Fat Cats some major $$$. As for insane board monkeys… THEY NEVER CHANGE. and NEVER WILL.

Sources report the average tenure of NCAA football coaches is 3.8 seasons making Larry’ a figurative dead man walking after 7 seasons. According to Steve Logan a college coach who wins on Saturday has achieved only 6 1/2 more days of job security. Of course Board Monkeys hire and fire coaches on that same 6 1/2 to 7 day schedule but seem resent the hell out of any coach that jumps to another team for more money or another reset of the career 3.8 year clock. I move to make all NCAA FB & BB coaching personnel decisions the primary job of message board jocks and then sit back and enjoy the ensuing chaos.
      Someone said LF’s buyout is ~$14 million……” If UNC wants to fire Fedora, they’ll pay a massive buyout of $14 million. That figure, instituted when he signed a contract extension in 2017, months after leading his team to the ACC title game, drops to $10.5 million after the 2019 season, $7 million after 2020 and $3.5 million after 2021…..” I can’t vouch for the accuracy but if correct 2018 seems to be optimum for him.

“I heard” that he had a contract clause that IF the IPF did not have an Occupancy Permit by the first game of this season … last Saturday, that his “buy-out” to leave UNC at his choosing would be null / void. i.e. he could leave any time without $$$ penalty. I have not heard if indeed the IPF is deemed “completed”.
        It’s all Monopoly $$$ anyway except to Bubba who might have to scrounge it up somehow. The Rams Club has a Hot List of 10-12 VERY FAT CATS they call anytime they are desperate… I guess those guys have $$$ printing presses in their Man Caves… or a string of Meth Labs across Rural NC.

• Porgie Reply

Two years ago, Hillary referred to me as ‘deplorable’. Now you have referred to me as ‘goggled-eyed mouth-breather’, but I do not classify as a ‘board monkey’ with yours being the only one that I might respond to. Anyway, I do wonder how many ‘For Sale’ signs The Hat found in his yard this morning.
      FYI, BK is alive and kicking. He said that you had not written anything provocative enough for him to bother to respond. Remind me to tell you a Cheetos story on the 6th. Not fit for print.

You are only a “goggle-eyed mouth-breather” IF you measure your self-worth by the success / failure of random sports teams over which you have absolutely no control or influence whatsoever. By that standard you do NOT qualify.
        Glad to hear that BK is OK and feisty as ever. I assume you adroitly avoided the words Trump and Kavanaugh.