Fred & Ethel Mertz re: Carolina Football … &^#*^%$”

Fred & Ethel
    November18/ 2018

BLSays logo

Fred & Ethel Mertz Re:  Carolina Football… %$*&%#

Nov 18, 2018

DISCLAIMER:  This column has absolutely nothing to do with “Fred & Ethel Mertz” or Vivian & Bill or Luci & Ricky. I chose “Fred & Ethel” to camouflage the identities of two very long time friends of mine.  I had extended conversations with my two aforementioned “long time friends” over the past week or so on the subject of …..

WhatTha Hell Is Wrong with Carolina Football… and Will “They” (?) Ever Fix It?

I told “Ethel” I was going to call her either “Gretchen” or “Gladys.  She preferred Gretchen.  I’m going with “Ethel”.

“Fred” won’t know I’m writing this because he is convinced “computers are just a fad”.  He just bought all his granddaughters Princess Phones for Christmas. Bless his heart.  Bless BOTH Fred & Ethel’s hearts.

I chose “Fred & Ethel” because I found that cool picture up-top.  And, to totally confuse any “drive by” millennials.

Both “Fred & Ethel” have been Tru-Blue Carolina Fans since Old East, Old West, and Old Well were just East, West, and The Well.   Our  conversations were not intended as “a column”; but I realized early on … OMG, this stuff is priceless and so here we are.

I read somewhere thats how Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone With The Wind.  Or was it Harper Lee and To Kill A Mockingbird?

WhatTha Hell Is Wrong with Carolina Football… and Will “They” (?) Ever Fix It? has NOT reached the level of National Conversation such as How does Melania walk in those stilettos?  She must be a Witch!

But “over yonder” along Scenic Franklin Street, Rosemary Street and Columbia Street it has been overheard quite a bit the past 2.75 months.

After being all-but mathematically eliminated from Christmas In Shreveport before the team bus returned to Chapel Hill after that early September train wreck in Dowdy-Ficklin; most of the debate / concern has been on the fate of Larry Fedora and which Really Fat Cats would fork up the $12,000,000 buy-out.

Like Charlie on The MTA whose “…fate is still unlearned.  He rides forever ‘neath the streets of Boston…”

Larry’s Fate is “still unlearned” subject to the event coming up this Saturday amid the lofty pines of Beautiful Kenan Jr Stadium.

Three things can happen Saturday in Kenan Jr … (1) The Fedorians could get whupped like a rented mule… (2) The Fedorians could lose in either a close competitive nail-biter or by a no-count cheatin’ referee’s call… or (3) The Fedorians could WIN.  It won’t matter how or by how many… Just Win Larry.

#3 is the one that Larry Fedora and his small but hearty handful of supporters might wanna be prayin’ for.  #1 and #2 probably won’t “do it”.  Alas, the semi-rout of UNC System little sister Western Carolina did not move the needle of the Fedora’s Fate Committee..

NOTE:  Mike MacIntyre was voted National Coach of The Year in 2016 as Head Coach at Colorado.  Since then his Buffaloes have gone 5-7 in 2017 and 5-6 so far in 2018.  Thats as far as Mike MacIntyre will go… he was fired earlier today. … comparisons to Larry Fedora’s 3-9 (2017) and 2-8 (2018) and no National Coach of The Year award don’t bode well for Larry.

The Precipitous Decline of TeamFedora is, in many opinions, traced back to the 2nd half of the UNC v Duke game in 2016 (Trubisky year).  UNC had the game well under control at the half… then totally collapsed to lose 27-28.  The first of Three Straight Losses To Duke. … Five straight “L’s” (and counting) to Hated Rivals is more than “a bit much”.

That and Fedora’s failure to maintain any staff cohesiveness over his seven years at UNC.

EthelLets get back to “Ethel”… She / Her Family had six season tickets “on the 40 on Row K” going back so long that Row K was considered “nose bleed section”.  I believe “Ethel” was at that same game Andy Griffith talked about.  Why else would she go to the Kenan Jr concession stand every game since then asking for “a Big Orange, please.”

Ethel gave up those seats several years ago when, according to her, “the little gal at The Rams Club didn’t remember my name”.  She was gonna write a strong letter to “Big Ernie” Williamson until I told her “Big Ernie” had been lying in eternal repose near “Sunny Jim” Tatum for the past forty years.  To her credit, she knew Jim Tatum was dead.  She has hated Rocky Mountain spotted ticks ever since.

“Ethel” is/was upset that the UNC v WCU game was not “on real TV”.  “But We Are The Flagship” she demanded.

Trying to explain to her how to get ESPN WATCH was a mountain I had no intention of trying to climb.

Did I mention that “Ethel” HATES UNC Basketball.  Actually she HATES that “UNC is a Basketball School” at the expense of her beloved Football.  “They (an undefined”they”) never spend any $$$ or attention to Football… just on Basketball.”

Of course, I noted the $32,000,000 IPF but “that doesn’t matter”. ???

I noted The Blue Zone but THAT pisses her off because “it blocks what little breeze we used to get… and those Fat Cats never sit in their seats anyway.”

She REALLY hates when:

“They” (same “they” as above) “ruin Kenan Jr halftimes by introducing other UNC team such as the damn basketball team to give them stupid rings or whatever.  ‘They’ would never do that at a basketball game.”

I pointed out that “they” are always showcasing other UNC teams at halftime of basketball games… and have done so for many years,  Hellfire, even “Little Dickie” did that. …. whatever.

I noted that for the past 60 years, the VAST majority of UNC’s sports glory has come from Basketball.  Just as most of Alabama and Notre Dame’s have come from Football.  I surmised that there are “Ethels” at Alabama and ND that resent their football teams like she resents UNC Basketball.  That thought quieted her for a minute or so.

Then she let loose again on Why the UNC v WCU game was not on real TV?  She was on the verge of going Full Blown Tri-Lateral / Warren Commission Conspiracy when I stunned her with…

“STOP IT, Ethel!  You are sounding like the Franklin Street Stereotype of “Every State Fan”… seeing multi-layered conspiracies behind every lofty pine around Kenan Jr.” … THAT did it.  Ya coulda heard a pin drop.

“Am I really THAT BAD, BobLee?”

“You’re gettin’ close, Ethel.”

“Can I ask one more question?”

“Sure” I said.

“Where is my favorite player Ryan Switzer now?” Jim Lalanne

“I think he is with The Steelers this week… or maybe The Pottstown Firebirds… or Albany Patroons.  Hey, I thought “Sweet Jim” Lalanne (UNC’41) was your favorite UNC player?”

“Oh My… you had to bring him up.  I have to go now.  I’m having a case of the vapors.

Good night, Ethel.

Good night, BobLee.  Give Blondie a hug.

Fred MertzAnd then there’s “Fred”.  “Fred” was for many years a “they” as Ethel would say.  He was an individual of influence around UNC and thats as far as I’m going…

No, NOT “my buddy Art”.  I haven’t heard from Chansky since Nov 8, 2016.

Having resided for 60+ years amid Kenan Jr’s lofty pines, “Fred’s” opinions on area rivals NC State and Duke are about as deep and dark negative as they can be.  YOWSA, Maxine thinks more highly of Donald than Fred thinks of State and Duke.

He “likes Larry” but realizes the storm clouds are swirling.  He thinks Larry coulda built a solid 8-9 W/year program EXCEPT FOR… those Damn State People.

During those halcyon days of The Great Unpleasantness when “Damn Dan”Kane was both Woodward AND Bernstein around UNC…

“Those Damn State People told recruits all sorts of lies about what was gonna happen to UNC.  They actually had a dossier of all the Dan Kane crap that they left with recruits.  That just wasn’t right.”

Recruiting is a very very dirty business where finishing 2nd is first loser” I said.  “You don’t think UNC would do likewise if it was reversed?

“Absolutely not.” he said adamantly.  “We’re Carolina.  We don’t have to cheat to win.” … uh oh!

He and I had discussed TGU at length as it unfolded over the 8-10 years it was “above the fold”.  “Fred” does NOT believe Dean Smith “was born of a virgin, and arose on the 3rd day” but pretty close.

He is certain Coach K has cloven hooves and a forked tail.

Such strong convictions make “living over yonder” a LOT less stressful, I’m told.

As God is My Witness… the only things I “made up” in this column are “Fred & Ethel’s” names.

WARNING:  Before you’ans take too many shots at “Fred & Ethel”, I GUARAN-DAMN-TEE YOU I could find “Fred & Ethels” in Your Fan Base too… IF I had the time or inclination.

##

Next Time.

Want some highly partisan political opinions.

DeepThoughtsCheck out Deep Thoughts & Awesome Tweets.

• HokieJay Reply
      3 weeks ago

I’ll save you the trouble of looking in the direction of Blacksburg for Fred – I am him. But best of all, my wife is 100% pure Tarheel Ethel, so I get this column coming and going. 😉 – HokieJay

3 weeks ago

HAA!… Hopefully your “Ethel” knows Tar Heel is TWO WORDS! My local “Ethel” seems pleased with Mack Returns… so far. I have not spoken with “Fred” yet but will tomorrow. Not sure what to expect from him. His opinion might surprise me.
        Did that weird ending in the Hokie v Hoos game make life easier for “Bud The Guru”?

3 weeks ago

BobLee, Ever wonder how that fellow that wrote DEWEY WINS!! felt? 😎Twernt no search.

3 weeks ago

I am already incorporating THAT in The Search 2.0 … under construction as we speak.

• JD Reply
      3 weeks ago

Where is your “OMG did some idiot decided to hire Mack Brown?” Article?

3 weeks ago

It has been a very interesting day. New column up by 3 PM.

• fayettewuf Reply
      3 weeks ago

What happened to the Search piece? Saw it this morning now it is gone. Did you write something you want to retract?

3 weeks ago

It has been a VERY interesting morning !!! Full explanation will be forthcoming …

• Former96Heel Reply
      3 weeks ago

I’m flat out intrigued by CFB coaching searches. First off, yes, the rumors and such are plain old funny. Beyond maybe a half dozen folks, nobody has any clue who or when or where the next conversation is, and with whom, or how it all pans out. But for those select few, they are about to grant an eight figure bounty to someone who most likely has no connection to your school, to come be a savior with fewer than 100 kids, none of whom choose to come fight with you.
      Coach will come in, and give his best canned “I’m all on board, great institution, wonderful support, everything in place for success”, except the kids on the field won four games the past two years, and fan support is almost at field hockey levels. Rough, rough business. There’s a reason the coaches can negotiate these big buyouts.
      I read not long ago about a former head coach from Houston I think, who now owns a Chikfila, one of the few outsiders granted a franchise. His business is recruiting and motivating young kids. Now he gets to have Sundays off, lives less than 2 miles from work, and gets to coach his kids youth teams. Working life expectancy for a head coach might rival the NFL running back.

3 weeks ago

Hang on Sloopy… I’m about to post the definitive post on THE SEARCH! … in 5 – 4 – 3 – 2…

• Fayettewuf Reply
      3 weeks ago

Now that Larry has gotten a large sack of money and been asked disembark from the MTA, everyone is waiting with bated breath to see in which direction the search is going. I have even heard Mack Brown’s name come up (he would need to find out who does Coach K’s hair). Larry must have been led to believe the fallout from the cheating scandal would end much faster than it did when he took the job. Whoever takes the job has his work cut out for him. I am guessing the climate the Butch era spawned makes going the Butch route unlikely. But who knows.

3 weeks ago

WARNING: A lot of (most of) those rumors and assorted crap “on the Internet” is 100% Pure Board Monkey BS … as usual. I’ll try to bring a little bit of order to it pretty soon.

• JoeInRaleigh Reply
      3 weeks ago

Fred an Ethel did indeed hate each other. Lucy and Ricky did not exactly care for Fred either. The National Inquirer told me so (and hey, they had the John Edwards story right ya know!)

As for Coach K ” has cloven hooves and a forked tail”, The man is 71 years old and still has Jet Black hair. Never seen one gray one on him. That fact + the clover hooves + forked tail = ?????. Just sayin!

3 weeks ago

Roy might have better luck versus K if he wore a garlic clove around his neck with a crucifix …. My “Fred & Ethel” don’t know each other. I am the only connection between the two.

• Wolfdon Reply
      3 weeks ago

I think I saw Fred and Ethel in the pregame parking lot dressed in imacculate baby blue Mr and Mrs Santa Outfits. Musta been fat cats didn’t see them in the stands during the game and I know the cameras would have spotted them if they were in the stands.

3 weeks ago

Possible… but unlikely. Such “HEY LOOK AT ME!” attire tends to be frowned upon among Blue Zoners. From my TV viewing angle I only saw “about a dozen” BZers occupying seats. That’s about as many as there were total fans at The Wally by the 4th Quarter. OUCH!

• JD Reply
      3 weeks ago

The refs screwed the Tar Heels one more time. It’s all a conspiracy to get Larry fired.

3 weeks ago

Is “Call Me Dickie” involved?

4 weeks ago

Team Fedora against Team Doeren. So much fan animosity. So little at stake…. Since never.

4 weeks ago

Its about a 100 mile circle of “significance” but it IS a BFD within that circle. To be honest, I don’t get too jazzed about The Egg Bowl OR tomoorow’s “AX Game” between Wisconsin and Minnesota.

• UNCBlue Reply
      4 weeks ago

I am getting older but not old yet. I lean towards Fred. Great report.

But didn’t Fred and Ethel actors actually hate each other?

4 weeks ago

Don’t know about Vivian and William. My Fred & Ethel are very likable folks.

4 weeks ago

Reply to Dr. Wire and BobLee: That exchange of comments was as good and intelligent as any I’ve ever read here or many other places. The lack of intelligent back and forth is what ruins Twitter and other forums. I’m with Dr Wire 100% on his take of coach F.

Not many will agree but Clemson of this year and the past 2-3 years renders the rest of the ACC, at best, middling to low in my estimation.There is a huge gap in quality.

Totally agree! Maybe we CAN SAVE WESTERN CIVILIZATION !!! 🙂

• Dr Wire Reply
      4 weeks ago

The 3 envelope coaching joke has stood the trst of time. 1st envelope write letter blaming the team you inherited; 2nd envelope has letter blaming your coordinators; 3rd envelope instruct next coach to fill out 3 envelopes.
      Fedora must be a good guy on a day in -day out basis. Usually a jerk coach can’t survive the season he had last year because the pitchforks of past indiscretions or people/media he has insulted in the past finally team up to get their pound of flesh. This is what is happening in Louisville even to Papa John; what happened to Valvano, to Gottfried, even to Doherty.
      Are you saying in your column about “what is wrong with Carolina football” that it is the deliriously faithful old boosters? F&E blame it on everybody else. I would debate football at unX was pushed by administration and the fan base into accepting its place as secondary to men’s basketball, maybe even women’s soccer & field hockey as a sacrifice for starting TGU and exposing men’s basketball to scrutiny.
      IMO, Bubba has been very loyal to Fedora because he knows Fedora sacrificed his career as ah unintended consequence of TGU. Why else would he have signed on to a big buy-out unless he knew all the circumstances?
      This brings us back to the original question? How to fix it? Or Will unX accept its position of historical relavance like KY football and Indiana football?

4 weeks ago

No, definitely not blaming “the old grads” for anything except simply being typical fans who are slow to adjust / adapt to change in long-held institutions such as “college football”. I much prefer the simple naiveté of “old grads” to the boorish squawks of board monkeys.
        Certainly the depth of the scars of TGU were NOT anticipated by LF. Scars inflicted BY THE UNIV ADMIN … NOT by Dan Kane. Yes, I believe Bubba giving him the extension showed he realized the burdens of that cloud of scandal. All that said… it still comes down to Ws and Ls and some Ls (to hated rivals) are more critical than others. As I continue to state, LF’s staff management has IMO been a major factor in recruiting and program continuity.
        I have no vision of THE FUTURE of UNC FB. If it were me, I would go looking for “a Cutcliffe-type” BUT there will be pressure to go for a Flavor-of-the-Month hot shot. “Cutcliffe-types” are very rare. I certainly do not need UNC FB to be “Top Tier” in order for me to lead a happy life.

4 weeks ago

While Fred and Ethel were more well known, I would have voted for Ed and Trixie. Hint….their last name was Norton. They were a bit more “realistic and dysfunctional. Art Carney was actually a better comedian than Jackie.
      Les Miles ain’t available. So the search got a little tougher.
      I HOPE you are right and it is at LEAST one TD (or FG) favoring the PACK.
      Maybe Bubba can contact Condi. She IS an academian, so that would help. If she was on the Brown’s short list….that ought to be good enough for Bubba. WOW…That sure would change the Locker Room dress code and discussion subjects.
      I’m in the HAT’s corner. Keep him. Use that $3,000,000 for snowflake and votive candle training. UNC could probably get a good deal by hiring Brenda Snipes.
      I saw TWO games in Kenyan and that was enough. I was there when Impartial Jim made “the CALL”

4 weeks ago

I have no idea at all “if… then who?” No clue. I’m sure that Franklin Street Peanut Gallery is full of names.

• Former96Heel Reply
      4 weeks ago

Fred and Ethel are perfect portraits. I don’t remember many of the blue blood fans drifting too far outside their orbit. If they had a parking permit, they pretty much fit that bill. I certainly don’t remember any wanting the Blue Zone, or lining up to pay up for it.

If UNCC is opting for coaches buyouts, does that mean the business is getting tougher? If he lasts this year, does the next coach have the same runway as Fedora, or did he get a little leeway due to TGU? As paranoid as Fred seems, I can only imagine recruiting has been tough the past ten years.

4 weeks ago

Putting the whole silly “sports facility race” in perspective. The Blue Zone was simply “the VIP suites every school was doing” at the time 7-10 years ago. A few years later it was “indoor practice facilities”. 3-5 years from now the “We Must Have” will be something else… all designed to impress the all-important semi-literate 18 y/os. It will never stop.
        Certainly the uncertainty of TGI “hurt recruiting” for Larry for 4-5 years – no question. Whose fault was that? It wasn’t Larry fault but it was UNC’s fault for not running a tighter ship FOR 18 FREAKIN’ YEARS! “Fred” blaming State is ridiculous. You bet UNC would use ANYTHING against State in a similar situation. All schools “look for an advantage”.

• 58 Wolf Kennel Reply
      4 weeks ago

Knee-slapping fun, and even a little poignant. I love NC State with a passion, but could never be an Ethyl or Fred. Big believer that we should all be “athletic supporters” rather than just fans oscillating in the wind. Helps to have a great chancellor as well :>))
      Excellent and most creative article in any case.
      (However still believe you are setting up UNC-CH for their bowl game this coming weekend, just as Louisville had last weekend and the Pirates will have the following weekend.)

4 weeks ago

So your final paragraph – “a possible conspiracy setup” – fulfills Ethel’s concern was she becoming like State fans?
        IF Larry starts a “Rookie QB” against State’s 127th ranked pass defense ???… State against another Rookie QB !!!! YIKES! I’ll be in Wisconsin so its up to YOU to provide “the rest of the story”. I’m calling it State by two+ TDs… but a close first half.

• Wolfdon Reply
      4 weeks ago

Speaking of Maryland, that football team deserves special recognition for perseverance for all the crap they had thrown at them this season.

4 weeks ago

To amass that much effort… and come up one point short pretty much summarizes their season. With Pitino gone (for now) is Urban Meyer America’s Most Universally Unpopular Head FB Coach? The case can be made he is.

• Mayberry Jim Reply

Schadenfreude

4 weeks ago

Around these parts, the three fan bases all seem to take turn being on various sides of the Schadenfreude line. UNCCH is certainly the easy target right now.

1 month ago

In Case You Missed my AwesomeTweet on this…
      BobLee @BobLeeSays
      OUCH! … Probably NOT a headline 95% of UNCCH fans ever wanted to see. … #UNCATHLETICS
      The Daily Tar Heel @dailytarheel
      Replying to @dailytarheel
      COLUMN: Field hockey has been the gold standard of UNC athletics since 2009 (@christrenkle2) bit.ly/2DsIpwa

• LYNN TITCHENER Reply
      1 month ago

LOVE ETHEL no matter what! She rocks my world and thank GOD for her love for football. Ohhhh the stories she tells from Row K, 40 yard line, since she was knee high to Ramses! Thanks BL! (love you too)

1 month ago

“Ethel” is a rare joy for all who have encountered her over 90+ years. “Sweet Jim” never knew what he missed.

1 month ago

BobLee Recommends…
      IF you haven’t seen it, I strongly urge you to go back to Reader Comments on that previous column – “Loonies Prowlin….” and check out the comments between Dr Wire, Doug and I on Louisville’s Glorious Mess. Some pretty incredible insights, I must say…

• Traci.72.Reno Reply
      1 month ago

“Charlie on The MTA… his fate is still unlearned…” MARVELOUS! If there is a Dennis Miller Award for Baby Boomer Obscure Trivia you just got it BL. 🙂

1 month ago

Actually I have awarded Dennis several BobLee Awards for Obscure Baby Boomer Trivia. HAA!

• Rudy Reply
      1 month ago

I am hearing that Coach Fed will survive, however, his two coordinators are out. Time will tell.

1 month ago

That is a popular theory… but no Savior Coordinator(s) are going to get a mega or long-term deal ‘cause Larry will be standing on two banana peels next September. THIS season was the year to bring in the Savior Coordinator(s). … IMO.

• Niceun Reply
      1 month ago

I like Larry and want him to be successful but if he’s not going to be can we get Mike Leach? He wins.

1 month ago

HELL YEAH … I would LOVE for “Mike The Pirate” to come to UNC. Ain’t agonna happen. At some point he would have to meet Chancellor Chihuahua and that likely would not go too well. Mike might go to Maryland… or maybe even Louisville. Or he could be happy in Wherever, Washington.