RIMSHOTS…. 7/9/15

rimshots
    July09/ 2015

ESPN Jettisoning Expensive Talkers….. With broadcasting rights fee soaring thru the roof, ESPN Poobah John Skipper Keith Olbermann(UNC’75) is looking to cut costs. High-priced talk show guys are an easy way to save a few million $$$$$$.   Keith Olbermann is the latest to “not be renewed”.

Bill Simmons was ousted last month.   Jason Whitlock was demoted.   Colin Cowherd is standing on banana peels.   Lou Holtz, Mark May….. The gamble Skipper is taking is, IMO, a safe one.   Do high-priced provocative talk show hosts “matter” when it comes to all-important markets?  In 90% of cases – No, the individual doesn’t “matter”.

I was shocked at the salaries some of these ESPN guys are getting.   I figured one or two might be at $1,000,000 with the rest at nice six-figure amounts.   Apparently 5-6 of’em are at multi-millions…. and they are the ones being “not renewed”.   The market for them after Bristol cannot be too inviting.   Most will try to catch on with Sirius or a Chicago/LA/NYC/Dallas-gig.

Taking nothing away from the “talent” required to be a provocative on-air talker….. the woods are full of guys who can do it good enuff to hold a daytime audience composed 97% of beady-eyed, mouth-breathing board monkeys.   Every metro-area in America has its Dave Glenns, Adam Golds who can opine vociferously on all things NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA, et al.   A guy with a few years under his belt in a mid-major market can gain a national rep on ESPN within a few weeks. …… jump start a faux feud with a few easily pissed-off major college fan bases and let the Twitter threats roll.

The rabid bats who “hate so&so because he dissed my team”…. will quickly learn to hate the new voice just as rabidly and just as absurdly.

The lesson for remaining ESPN on-air talent (Mike&Mike, Stephen A, Skip, et al) to heed is “show-up on time….. be prepared….. don’t get greedy….. don’t piss off any of ESPN’s 40+ VPs or John Skipper”.

Sports Talkers on ESPN are like leggy blonds on FoxNews.  There is always an inexhaustible supply of’em lined up around the block.   Become either too expensive or a pain in the butt and they “get the hook” ….. “Next”.

FoxSports just cut loose a bunch of their regional people.  But NOT Kristin Balboni!   These Sports Networks make their $$$$ from ad Kristin Balbonidollars generated by audience for high-interest live events. The “yakkers” are just filler for the 24/7 feed-me-content beast.

The bigger question is how high will the pro leagues go with selling their broadcasting rights.   Is there a ceiling to what the networks can/will pay?

I was right about Holly “Hooters” Sonders at The US Open ….. Holly Sonders “Reassigned” After US Open Fiasco ….

Wolfpack Now Lead Tar Heels in ……. number of alumni in The NFL with less that ten fingers.   NC State now has ONE – CJ Wilson with Tampa Bay.   CJ blew off two fingers over the 4th of July.   And CJ was not the only NFLer to do so.   NYGiants DE Jason Pierre-Paul blew off one finger playing with fireworks…… BUT:Khloe Kardashian

Tar Heels Still Lead Wolfpack in ……. number of Basketball alumni who have “dated” (wink, wink) “a Kardashian”.   Khloe who is still sorta married to Lamar Odom is now dating James Hardin – Houston Rocket guy with the beard.   In her earlier dating days, Khloe “dated” THE Rashad McCants and more recently Rick Fox.   Rick, of course, was once married to Vanessa Williams.

Florida State had it’s weekly “Thug Footballer Does Something Thuggish” …… yawn, burp….. ssssssssss. ….. Hummus, I wonder if – with FSU and UNC fan bases both “under fire 24/7” for assorted crap…. do UNC and FSU board monkeys feel a kinship…. or hate one another. With fan bases “hate one another” is usually the best bet.

Speaking of Wolfpack Sports Alumni….. “Russell” is “taking heat” this week.   A viral YouTube has him discussing his celibacy vows with current girlfriend – some rapper hottie I’ve never heard of.   To no surprise in today’s America, Russell is being “Tebowed” for his “Christian value system”. “Russell” has now reached the level of celebrity that anything he says / does or does not say or does not do “makes headlines”……. Speaking of State QBs and celibacy, I’ll never forget that Philip Rivers married his high school sweetheart his freshman year at State….. BUT their first (of MANY) children was not born until about a year later.   I’ve been a PR fan since then.

Mascot Makes Midgets Mad….. yet another “sign of the times”….. The Little People Of America or some such group is all atwitter about The Fighting Midgets of Freeburg High in Freeburg, Illinois.   No word if “The Fighting Midgets” wave a Confederate flag or like Donald Trump or have a Nativity Scene at their school or have “red skins”..

Another bunch o’ squirrels is demanding the demolition of the Jefferson Memorial AND “renaming Washington DC”.   Until someone says “STOP…. That’s Enough!” all these foolishness will continue and continue….. but that’s AgentPierce’s problem; not mine.

###tumblr_m3govb8o3i1rtknhto1_1280

No Country For Old Men …… I listened to the book; then watched the movie this week. I knew of the book/movie but had never gotten around to reading/seeing it.   Cormac McCarthy’s novel turned into a very very strange Coen Brothers movie….. as most Coen Brothers movies are.   From the strange ending, I assume Anton Chigurh is still “out there somewhere”. Brrrrrrr….

The Latest Brad Thor Thriller – Code Of Conduct is a “good’un”.   Brad and his Spec Ops iconoclast hero Scot Harvath are of the late Vince Flynn w/ “Mitch Rapp” genre.   If you like either, you will like both….. also Ben Coes w/ “Dewey Andreas”.

Our Quirky News feature has become a daily staple in many of your lives.   If not yours yet….. it should be.   Something “quirky” happens daily so we will never run out of “news”.   “Albert & Sylvia” holds #1 Most Popular Quirky so far….. but I have a few in the queue that might challenge them.

Also…. up in the Navigation Bar across the top of the Home Page, you will notice BobLee Columns.   There you will find a complete list of, DUH! – BobLee Columns with Most Recent at the top.   If all those fancy “sliders” are confusing you, just go to BobLee Columns up there at the Top Of The Home Page.   It’s a bit slow “loading”.   Be patient.

Tags:
    • Puddentain Reply

As a wholly owned subsidiary of UNC, I expect John Skipper will replace all of these folks with members of the UNC PR team. Hmmm, UNC-PR.

“J-Skip” (UNC’75) jumps when his Big Boss Mickey Mouse says “JUMP”.

Interesting column…..talk about tying stuff together….only thing missing was Austin Dillon’s chewing out NASCAR for making the drivers earn millions but expecting them to go 200 MPH.

KO, what can you say.  Talented (or whatever you call it).  Opinionated (which verges on the realm of stupidity).  Politically elite (as in I am more enlightened and smarter than you) and obnoxious.  Rush was the same, just of a different viewpoint.  Did not miss him at MSNBC and would turn off ESPN if he were to even do a cameo.  He will resurface….or will be seen at Glenwood and I-40 with a “will insult for food” sign.

I purchased a Stars and Bars bandana so long ago, I can’t remember.  On a 6000 mile motorhome trip out west.  Wife would not let me bring it to wear out there.  Might figure out how to sell it and make a huge profit.

In KY now headed to the Vette factory.  These folks up here do NOT miss KO or his like.  More “Arm Yourself” and “Tactical” billboards and upcoming “3 day” events at the local armory or the convention centers than you can shake a Glock at.  Got passed by a Mudder Jeep with TN Plate that said  BIG TARS.  Being from Western Piedmont, I fully get that.

Rimshots doing well….I am the unlucky 13th comment.

What? No comment about McCants and KhloeK??? I figure that was low-hanging fruit for you. 🙂

• Yogi Reply

Ober should have stay at NBC et. al.  He fit in with that ummmm …  what the word I’m looking for AP?  Oh yeah, the ID 10 T bunch.  I HAVE NO idea how Centurylink did or even wanted to do selective web site blocking.  Ummm ya think maybe someone high up over there is a TCW fan Bob?  Or maybe they use the ESPN DNS servers, wouldn’t that be quite the conspiracy theory?

That DAMN Dickie Baddour !!!

• TheCowdog Reply

Yes, of course Skipper has to dump money at ESPN. UNC’s PR/Legal apparatis is sucking him sorta dry.

I like Olbermann…saw his first broadcast at KLAC. He has balls.

Alas, poor CJ has 2 less digits in which to make a tackle. Maybe he won’t miss them that much.

Russell is pretty special, we know that. Does God text?

I keep my Confederate flag in an old fashioned valise.

For a Yankee born…

Like you, BL, I read the book before seeing the movie.

It ain’t no country for old men. The Canadian border was much safer.

Peace, Love, and….I forgot

I thought Olbermann was fine. Disagree with his politics but I’m sure there is a market for him somewhere. ESPN appears to be difficult place to work these days. I’ve never heard Skipper mentioned as being part of the UNC Cover-Up Team but it’s possible. I’m sure he has consumed A LOT of TCW Kool-Aid over his 60 years.

• AAU Coach Reply

Keith Olbermann has been on my hit list since he was on MSNBC.  He is so far left he makes Bill Maher look conservative..glad he is gone.  I admire Russell Wilson for standing up for Christ.  He will be vilified, however that is what the Bible promises us Christians.  As far as Mitch Rapp, you put me on this about 10 months ago and I got hooked in December and January and read 12 books but they started running together so I stopped.  Great adventure and action books.  I am looking forward to the movie of the first book, the cast looks great……..No Country for Old Men had no moral fiber to it (at least the movie didn’t), too nihilistic for me.  I love the new look of your website and especially the Quirky news bits.

I agree that No Country has little/no moral uplifting message. …. Yes, all the SpecOps Rogues vs Terrorists series tend to get repetitive. …. Russell will suffer some slings/arrows just as Tebow has. Hope he realizes that. ….. No one seems to know where Olbermann will resurface. I’d say a Sirius gig on Left-wing ranting.

Still can’t reply but you’re right. I went too far with “refreshing.” Try “just something different” instead. By the way, I enjoy Cormac McCarthy. He has a way in making his readers feel more than a little uncomfortable. The thought of some Anton’s lurking around is scary. Imagine Anton as a board monkey.

I don’t see Anton as a board monkey. I can see him “flipping a coin” over entire fan bases. Anton and Hannibal Lechter would make a good tag team.

• Bill Reply

Speaking of Vince Flynn/Mitch Rapp; after sampling Coes’ Dewey, Thor’s Harvath, and Marc Cameron’s Jericho Quinn, I have to say none of them surpass Rapp in terms of ability to inflict violence and brutality.  Though Quinn comes close.  They are all good “brain candy”. Such a shame about Flynn.

Scott “double taps” A LOT of bad guys in this latest Thor. Don’t know that I could pick a #1 between all those.

You think Russell wished God had said, “Don’t pass on the one yard line fool. Hand the ball off to Marshawn?” All the crazy, stoopid things going on reminds me of the barbershop. NEXT. I’m with you on the ESPN/sports radio talking heads. There’s plenty of talent that could offer some refreshing insights on games and players. It’s like the music business. The most talented artists are not necessarily in the Billboard Top 10.

Celebrity is a very sharp two-edged sword as Russell is learning.
        I don’t know about “refreshing insights”. IMO it’s all just yadda… yadda… blah… blah… I appreciate that guys like Stephen A and Skip develop on-air personas that incite emotions from an audience full of the same types that attend WrestleMania with their home-made signs.
        I violated a BobLee Rule last night. I got excited when the Cardinals beat the Cubs on Peralta’s 9th inning 2-outs HR after Jadi and Metheny had been tossed. There was High Drama in that game. 🙂