My Friend Norwood Teague

Norwood Teague
    July30/ 2015

My friend of almost twenty years – Norwood Teague – resigned yesterday (Friday) as Athletics Director at The Univ of Minnesota.  I have referenced my friendship with “Phineus” (as in Phineus T. Barnum) on various occasions.  We first met when Norwood was Director of Sports Promotions/Marketing at UNC-CH in the early Bunting Era…. before going on to VCU as AD and then to Minnesota.  He was definitely “on a fast track” in his career in sports administration.  His recent actions have now derailed that career.

The circumstances of Norwood’s resignation are “all over” the national sports media today.   At a university function he “had way too much to drink” and committed several acts of overt sexual misconduct involving a university staff member.   I have not spoken with Norwood so I only know what is being reported.  It is “salacious” and “salacious sells” in today’s competitive media arena.

I’m sure rival fans in The Big Ten / Fourteen are having a field day at Norwood’s and U of Minn’s expense.   It is an extremely embarrassing “mess”.  That Norwood is a UNC alum and former UNC AthDept staffer means “the field day” will extend, to a lesser degree, for ABCers as well.  Such is the reality of the public fish bowl that is Big Time College Athletics.

There does not appear to be any “well yes…. but…” to what Norwood did other than “…. had too much to drink” which is no excuse.   “Actions have consequences” (for most of us!) and those consequences are severe for Norwood’s career.   I’m sure I will be getting together with my friend Norwood in the weeks to come.

Some will “pile on”.  Others will try to “make excuses” for him.  …. I’m just going to try to “be a friend”.

• FirstMaximilian Reply

I see you don’t monetize your website, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra cash
      every month because you’ve got hi quality content.
      If you want to know how to make extra money, search for: Boorfe’s tips
      best adsense alternative

• JD Reply

Another reason not to drink. Nothing good ever comes from it.

Preaching to the choir here. I can make a six-pack last a year…. and “maybe” three glasses wine/year.

• SWVA UNCer Reply

BobLee, I haven’t read all the “salacious” comments, and don’t intend to. But, if your friend is taking responsibility for his actions, and not hiding behind the coattails of the chancellor, his lawyers, his rich donors, etc., then, in my humble opinion, he deserves a break. Alcohol, as well as depression brought on my alcohol abuse, can cause even the most moral persons to go offline. Glad you’re standing by your friend, and I hope he’ll bounce back. As for the ABCers, well, they gotta have something to live for, since hating Carolina is their only source of joy.

Very unfortunate incident. He is accepting responsibility for what happened although he doesn’t remember much of it. He is NOT asking for the definition of “is”.

• 58wolf kennel Reply

BL, hard to comment on this one. Just sad all the way around. Made the mistake of reading the back and forth comments and once again it appears to be a Cosby type situation with unbelievable accusations plus friends/admirers just left speechless.
      Sorry for your disappointment.

Norwood committed one of the 10-12 Unpardonable Sins of 2015 and That Was That. High Profile public figures such as ADs, Head Coaches, Chancs, et al are one such regrettable mistake away from a career explosion. So long as “justice” is meted out “across the board” I can accept it. When some are exempted “because” …. then I have a problem. I suppose I could mention Bill Clinton…. but I won’t.
        Norwood “did it” and he must live with the consequences. 🙁