…. and he was also a dentist.

Danny Anne Lotz
    August19/ 2015

For seven+ years, until about three months ago, I drove Danny Lotz over to Chapel Hill for a Men’s Bible Study each Thursday. In those 30-minute trips we would chat about all the sorta stuff a coupla baby boomer guys might talk about. Carolina’s poor free-throw shooting being a popular topic each January/February.

On one of those trips a few years ago, I had just posted one of my BobLee Eulogies for the father of one of my high school pals so we talked about eulogies.  Six years of riding with a guy, ya get pretty personal with one another. I recall we were on I-40 at about the Southpoint Mall exit. Don’t ask me why I recall that triviality but I just do.

I said: “Dr Danny, the title of yours oughta beAnd He Was Also A Dentist.” He looked at me with a “I’d like that” grin. So, that’s what it will be today – Wed. August 19, 2015.

Danny Lotz died today (Wednesday) following an accident at his home on Monday.  LINK

That odd phrase was intended as a tribute to the rich full life that Danny Lotz led over 78 years in which his 40 years practicing general dentistry in Raleigh would be relegated to the “he also was” fine print well down the page.

In the more formal eulogizing tributes to Danny Lotz that will be forthcoming over the next few days you will learn of his being a member of UNC’s legendary 1957 basketball team that “beat Wilt” in triple-overtime and is credited with being THE spark that created the phenomenon of ACC Basketball. More about that down the page….

You will learn of his 49 years of marriage to Anne Graham a/k/a “Billy Graham’s daughter”. Hopefully the McClatchy’s N&O / CharlObsr will back off their vicious editorial attacks on The Graham Family for a week or so in respect to Danny’s passing…. or maybe not.

You will learn of the 30 years he led a Men’s Bible Study every Friday that averaged over 50 men attending each week. Men who were a mix of movers & shakers and just guys looking for Christian Fellowship. A lot of them will be sharing their memories.

Danny and Albert started another Men’s Fellowship in Chapel Hill 7-8 years ago. I nicknamed us “Anne Frank’s Attic”. It is a popular misconception about Chapel Hill being “about as Godly as Moscow”; so 50 or so guys getting together to study The Word might best keep it on the QT ….. Knowing that bunch a/k/a “Baby Boomers 4 Jesus”…. they will have something to say about Danny.

You will hear about Danny’s time and efforts over 50 years with FCA – Fellowship of Christian Athletes. He is in FCA’s National Hall of Fame (along our friend “Albert”). Every year FCA has a special national conference at Black Mountain, North Carolina that attracts some of the biggest names in coaching pro / college as well as dozens of current/former athletes in all sorts of halls of fame. This past year was the first one Danny missed in over 30 years. His diabetes and dialysis had simply worn the big fella down to where “getting around” was simply too much.

You’ll hear from the well-known and the unknown about their personal interaction with Danny Lotz over his 55 years “around Raleigh and Chapel Hill”. Wherever the memorial service will be held…. it better have plenty of seats ‘cause it’ll be full…. regardless of the weather. That was another on-going joke we shared on those Thursday drives.

“Regardless of what all you do in your life; the attendance at your funeral is going to depend upon ….. the weather.” My sense of humor is a bit more irreverent than Danny’s (or than most normal folks’) but he always seemed to enjoy that one.

When you are spending regular time each week with a man in his late 70s who has been in dialysis for over six years you can either pretend Life is Balloons and Circus Parades or that it is what it is and make the best of it. Me and Danny chose the latter.

Some of you’ans are probably curious about what Danny thought about UNC’s Never-ending “Great Unpleasantness”.  Sure, we talked about that a lot as it evolved.  Danny Lotz was a loyal Tar Heel…. but Danny was no naive C-Way Kool-Aid guzzling goober.  Danny was a realist.   Enough said about that.  To Danny’s credit he never learned to use a computer so he never had to endure board monkeys of any stripe.  One of the special blessings that God bestowed on Danny Lotz.

Danny, like most of us, worried a lot about the sorrying state of America and the world. If our nation’s leaders were doing especially stoopid stuff on a Thursday, Danny would be in funk when I picked him up. He never “blamed me” but always looked to me for answers. Uh oh…..

Danny Lotz knew The King Jimmy as well as anyone’s ever including his Father-in-law. He could quote chapter / verse of obscure Old Testament books that most folks don’t know even exist. He was as learned a Lay Theologian as ever knew Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.

So here I am a back-sliding Christian on my best days…. having to counsul “Billy Graham’s Son-In-Law” on the inevitable Fate of Mankind. Over the past seven years, I’d like to have a nickel for every day I had to remind Danny Lotz…..

“Doc, you better go reread Revelation by John. It’s gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better.” ….. “yeah, I know” as he’d shake his big ol’ head.

Lets wrap this up with a bit o’ trivia that I WILL NOT ALLOW to go to the grave with Danny Lotz.

Danny was the 6th man on that 1957 team. He had been a high school legend on Long Island in the early 50s but was now on a team with other NYC legends a year or so older….. Rosenbluth, Brennan, Quigg, Cunningham and little Tommy Kearns…. coached by THE Frank McGuire.

UNC 1957 Basketball

Danny is the kid with the flat-top in the middle of the front row.

(With Danny gone…. I believe that leaves only Tommy, Joe and Lennie.)

ASIDE: I’m not sure where Frank McGuire “went” after his death; but if Frank is where I’m SURE Danny is…. Danny is gonna be shocked. Enough said about their stormy relationship.  It is one opinion that Danny and Jackie Murdock agreed on.

So it’s the 3rd overtime versus Kansas and Wilt for the National Championship. If you are over 65, you recall where you were watching. Lennie had fouled out at the end of regulation so Danny was in the game. Kansas still had “the Stilt” so it looked bleak for the boys in blue….

I’m a tad fuzzy on a coupla details but it’s Kansas’ ball with less than 10 seconds to play.  I believe UNC up by one. Everyone in Kansas City’s Memorial Auditorium knew KU would go inside to Wilt. McGuire had Danny and Quigg “down low” to do what they could to get in Wilt’s way
    …. But Danny recalled a scouting report on who KU’s best shooter was from 10-12’.  He saw that guy setting up “on his spot”.
    ….. Danny stepped out in get in his face…. leaving Wilt in single coverage.
    ….. McGuire screamed at Danny to stay back on Wilt.
    ….. Sure’nuf…. it was “that guy” (Ronnie Loneski) who would take the shot figuring UNC defenders would be double-teaming Wilt.
    ….. Danny gets a fingertip on the ball, deflecting it to a teammate (I think Bob Cunningham)
    ….  passes to Tommy Kearns who hurls the ball into the rafters.
    …..when the ball came down Carolina was National Champions.
    …. and Frank McGuire never said a word to Danny about “his savvy play” that WON THE GAME.

….. and he was also a dentist.

PS: With Dr Danny gone, I don’t know how I’m gonna keep up with Cardinal Gibbons’ football team. A little Lotz Family / BobLee inside story.

• Zebraman Reply

You are great relater of store, BL.
      Brother Lotz was truly a man in full.
      And one to be admired.
      I am sorry for your loss.
      Zebraman

• Dave HawkinS Reply

very nice and appropriate article
      I have always figured your age at death had more to do than weather on funeral attendance. Sunday School Class size means a bunch. We have 132 in our class and if I don’t stay here too long, I should have a crowd. Thanks for your article.
      David

To that I defer to “Yogi”…. “If you don’t go to your friends’ funerals, chances are they won’t come to yours.”
        My mom (died at 93) had her version. “I bought a nice simple black dress to wear to solemn occasions when I was 65. If I had known I was going to wear it to so many funerals over so many years I woulda bought a nicer dress....” …. she ended up outliving three of her bridge clubs. … 🙂

• 58WolfKennel Reply

“BL, beautiful comments from both you and your “regulars”. I tried to get a message in yesterday but it bounced three times saying I had already posted. It was sincere. Elaine had told me two days ago that there was an article on Billy Graham’s son-in-law being in the hospital, but it hit me between the eyes with your blog yesterday. This is so close to home in so many directions. Thank you for an eloquent and personal statement. We are all such vulnerable humans, and only God knows the time, place, and circumstances of our homecoming.
      God bless the whole Graham family.”

Thank you BK. His Quality of Life had dramatically deteriorated over the past year from his extended dialysis. Five years is about the maximum for that stressful process and Danny was in Year 7… !!! As you know Danny was a contemporary of Smedes, Pucillo, Murdock et al…. and YOU!

• TerriE Reply

“…vicious editorial attacks” on The Graham Family. I have noticed that too. It has been off/on the past several years. Why would they do that?

For those of us who do not perceive society from the perspective of those of their ilk, it is difficult to understand. With their subscriber basis ever-dwindling by the day in both Raleigh and Charlotte, I figure they hope there is a vast untapped “Godless atheist market” they hope to reach. In the three years they (McClatchy) have routinely attacked The Graham Family that untapped market has not responded. FWIW… Danny was not a fan of the local newspaper at all. With a small handful of exceptions, I don’t know of many who are.

• CNR Reply

We know where Danny is. He is with John and the rest of his family. We have often conversed regarding Albert, Danny, John, and good guys.

Many thanks to you and CowDog for your prayers and great concern over this trying period in my life. CowDog and I have a mutual admiration for Padre Pio. He sent me a book of the Padre’s prayers. CD, I pray them every day.

Qatar it has been a pleasure reading the memories of your commenters thanks to GJudy smuggling in my I-Pad.

And those 2 3OTs were Fri/Sat with no day in-between like they do now.
        Yes…. Ronnie Loneski for KU !!
        What about Those Cards !!! Yadi going deep in the 8th to take 2 of 3 from SF !!!!
        NOTE: CNR (“Coach”) has been “on the DL” himself for the past month following a nasty fall.

So glad CNR is on the mend. He fills in the blanks so well that I often forget or overlook from an important part of my growing up days. Keep well coach. I did not watch the game live in ’57. As a second grader I’m sure it was past my bedtime and many parts of eastern NC didn’t receive WUNC’s signal. A few weeks later our elementary school had an assembly. Grades 1-8 were escorted into the auditorium and the game was played back on film. My kind of educational experience.

When I spoke with CNR last week he was “given’em hell” re: his post-spinal surgery physical rehab. It will be a few weeks before he gets to go home but he should be able to maneuver as well as anyone could have hoped for all things considered.

• thailand Reply

“The fellow that Danny jumped out on was Ronnie Loneski from Hammond Bishop Noll in the Region.

What a tourney. Two triple OT games to win the championship. Says something about the poise of Danny and the rest of the team.”

Vintage CNR…….Happy to hear on the mend…. 🙂

I enlarged one of the photos and can see me as a tiny little guy in a blue jacket wearing a cap, my mom following me out onto the tarmac…..Danny being carried on fans’ shoulders……Looks like an after-church crowd (it was a Sunday afternoon) The dress: well-Heeled 🙂

Great story, comments….

That that weekend was the genus for ACC BB due to CD Chesley arranging to get the TV feed sent back to NC…. What gets lost in all trivia of that season is the great team that Wake Forest had. Their three games against UNC were decided by, I think, fewer than ten points. The ACC tourney finals is still hotly debated due to a dubious foul call/no call.

BL,

Touching column. Don’t know if you feel better after writing it, but suspect you do.

Great job. Had read the articles on him, but now I know the rest of the story.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

That’s an odd comment ??? It was my memories of a friend.

Nothing cynical or cutesy about what I wrote. I thought you were writing a column about a great person and a personal friend…..and you also had suffered a loss of both.

Sometimes writing things and sharing them helps folks get over their grief…

James Taylor did that.

Did NOT mean anything other than what I said. Great Column. Great Background on Danny…..

If I got too far into psycoanalzying you….I apologize….it was NOT intended to offend or do anything else.

Again, thanks for sharing your stories about him.

We’re fine. …. whoa… a comparison to JAMES TAYLOR …. THAT is a problem! 🙂

• BO Reply

Very, very nice. I was at home in Hendersonville asleep when my parents and aunt and uncle woke me up with lots of commotion. So I got up to watch the three overtimes on our black and white TV and became a die hard Tar Heel fan….at least until TGU.

I wonder how many UNC fans agree with that transition over 60 years? Likely quite a few.

• SeaIslandGambler Reply

Made me cry… it gets easier to do all the time… this one made me cry quicker than most. Good work, my friend. .

How come my “Chansky said” columns never have that reaction…???
        Danny’s Quality of Life had really deteriorated the past six months. A situation we all begin to dread at some point. 🙁

• Hill Rogers Reply

Great story. Thank you. Thoughts and prayers to the Lotz family.

I don’t make this stuff up. I’m just lucky to hear and recall great stories.

• thailand Reply

Sorry to hear that about your good friend Danny…….He sure seems to have lived a full life…

Interestingly, I was perusing the internet about the ’57 team on the day I learned of Danny’s accident at his home pool in Raleigh…..

Came across some wonderful photos of the 1957 team arriving at little RDU, the awaiting hordes of well-wishers running out onto the tarmac to meet the arriving four-engine propeller-driven passenger plane carrying the team……

I’m out there somewhere in those photos with my dad in that huge throng of fans greeting our heroes including Danny….

I mentioned a while back that day and how I struggled to squeeze my skinny little body between groups of adults to get autographs…..so thick was the crowd that I had to push and shove to get to those tall guys in dark blue blazers to sign my red autograph book….When I finally gave up and the players departed for their bus, I found my dad and he took a look at my bounty– six Danny Lotz’s…. 🙂 Thought you wouldn’t mine my repeating…..I still have those…..

Great story about his defensive savvy in the game against Wilt–an unsung hero (always the best kind)…..

Hope you can open that site–wonder if Hugh Morton took those photos…..One looks to be Danny being carried on the shoulders of some fans…

7:32 AM from Pattaya

My heartfelt sorrow to the Lotz family

I do recall your memories of “the returning heroes” on that little glorified puddle-jumper. I do hope the story of Danny’s savvy play in that 3rd OT in ’57 will live on in his absence. 🙂

• Charlotte Wuffie Reply

A great tribute to a man who clearly meant a lot to you BobLee. I feel like I knew him after reading. It’s also clear that he will be missed by many. Well done!

He really did “touch” a great many people over his 55 years in this area…. well beyond UNC partisans.

• Bob Harris, 'Voice of the Blue Devils' Reply

On January 28th, 1959, a high school junior opened an envelope with a personal, full-page letter of thanks from Danny. There was a part of the UNC press guide with every player’s picture autographed. That high school junior was me, and I have kept all of those mementos in a scrapbook. I finally got to meet Danny at a NC Sports Hall of Fame banquet some years ago, and he beamed when I related this story. Danny was a great man, and will be missed by so many; many of us who are fans of other universities.

Any Bob Harris scrapbook would weigh a ton! 🙂

• TheCowdog Reply

And you see, competitors never “hated.”

We all played, as Danny did.

I wish the million dollar babies that never wore a jock could understand that.

“The Brotherhood” that transcends jersey colors. 🙂

• TheCowdog Reply

Just pulled Padre Pio out of the back pocket for your companion.

For The Record…. I never heard Danny say “I hate State College”. He was a fierce competitor, not a nut job fan… plus he had a LOT of local State fans as patients.

• unctarheel1984 Reply

Very nice, BL. My condolences are extended to The Lotz family.

I’m sure they will be seeing this.

• SO Reply

Great article on Danny. He was my dentist, I was his banker for a while and I did BSF during his leadership. Great Christian!!! but with those big hands not one you want pulling a wisdom tooth, he did mine. Hard to ” open that wide”

THAT IS WHY Danny’s practice specialized in “patients with big mouths”. So, he had A LOT of local politicians and UNC & State fans as long time patients. 🙂

Abundant blessings to the Lotz family and to his friends.

That Family has been blessed abundantly and deservedly so….