Former NCState / NFL QB attempts suicide

Erik Kramer
    August20/ 2015

Erik Kramer, former NC State (’87) / NFL QB apparently attempted suicide Tuesday night.   According to family members, Kramer suffered from depression since his NFL career ended with the Bears in 1999.

Erik Kramer reportedly survives suicide attempt

Former NFL quarterback Erik Kramer is alive but wounded after shooting himself in a reported suicide attempt.

NBC Chicago reports that the former Bears QB shot himself at a motel in Calabasas, Calif., Tuesday night in an apparent suicide attempt. Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies were called to the motel for a welfare check and found the former QB with a non life-threatening gunshot wound. Kramer’s sister reportedly believes the injury is more serious than law officers stated and that it could be life-threatening.

Kramer’s ex-wife, Marshawn, told NBC News she believes the suicide attempt was the result of the former quarterback’s time in the NFL.

“He is a very amazing man, a beautiful soul, but he has suffered depression since he was with the Bears,” Marshawn Kramer told NBC News. “I can promise you he is not the same man I married.”

The couple divorced in 2010. In 2011, Kramer’s son, Griffen, died of a heroin overdose.

Kramer, 50, played in the NFL from 1987-1999, posting a 31-36 record as a starter. His peak came in 1995 with the Bears when he threw for 29 touchdowns and 10 interceptions while leading the team to a 9-7 record. He also led the Detroit Lions to a 12-4 record in 1991.

After his football days, Kramer entered sports broadcasting. He worked as an NFL announcer for FOX and currently covers the Bears.

• TheCowdog Reply

I understood Frank’s comment. Perhaps he overestimated Wolfpack sensitivities,this time.

It is becoming clearer that EK did, indeed, suffer football related brain trauma. It’s a dangerous game, brothers
      and sisters.

Somewhat unique, I watched Kramer play at Golden West CC during my California days. Obviously, I followed his career, and his travails.

At least the wuffs who visit here; who I do believe are “among the best of the bunch”. 🙂
        Google Chris Borland… he is the young 49er LB who abruptly “retired” this past post-season at 24 deciding the risk of permanent brain injury was no longer worth the rewards.

• Biff Blumley Reply

I would not wish this on T.J. Yates, the only UNC NFL QB I can recall for the last 50 years. Linstreet bringing up his inappropriate comment is an example of Kerlina Klass I guess. Tragic news stories today about Kramer and Jimmy Carter. The local sports rivalries are child’s play when compared to both these events. You would think a grown man could learn to show respect. Right Frank?

I took Frank’s comment in a totally different way that others did. I don’t know “Frank” any better than I know 98% of the regular posters here, only thru his/her words on a monitor. His history is certainly not as a TCW disciple at all.
        I took his comments as speculating I might catch crap for posting “negative” news about a former NCState athlete. Overly-sensitive loonies could take that as a cheap shot slur at all State fans/athletes. “BobLee is making a big deal out of Erik Kramer’s misfortune” !! …. since I “went to college at UNC many years ago” I will forever be “the enemy” in some demented little minds. I “get that”.
        The only reason this IS a story I would post IS Kramer’s connection to a local school. If this were a UNC alum with similar issue I would post it as well… as I did that strange case of the homeless UNC guy in Florida six months ago. I post what I consider “news of interest” to the regular audience here… I will continue to do so regardless of their local connection. “Frank” was just speculating I might get ambushed by an overly-sensitive Wuff-loonie. That is how I interpreted his comment.

• wolfdon Reply

i assume FS’s comment is tongue in cheek…..this a sad story about a person most fans really admired, as far as I am concerned.

FS ?? You mean FL. I think his comment was re: goofball fans than Kramer. Whatever the specifics of Kramer’s situation, it is becoming an oft-told tale of the perils of a NFL career. Kramer being an NCSU alum is only the local tie-in to the story certainly not any indictment of his college experience. Only an idiot would infer that.

• Frank Linstreet Reply

BL, you KNOW you are going to be accused of purposely posting negative news about NC State Football, don’t you? …. Even though this is a national news story.

Yes, probably. 🙂 ….That breed of terminally paranoid whack-job lurks in the basement of every fan base. I’m actually a day late on this one. Triangle-area media had it up yesterday. I am routinely very positive on both Russell and PR so any attempt to brand me as a State-hater will show the stupidity of the attempter.