Where State is Hiding the Hindenburg !

NC State IPF
    September01/ 2015

Yesterday (Monday) I had one of my Lunches w/ A Legend with a Lifetime Member of The Wolfpack Club. He and I get together 3-4 times/year at The Backyard Bistro to resolve whatever Socio-Cultural Ills we did not eradicate at earlier lunches. This has been going-on for 4-5 years.  We never seem to run out of socio-cultural ills…. or a certain Unpleasantness to discuss.

I asked him “How are “Littlest Angel” (his wife) and your two sons doing?”

He, in turn, asks me “Who in the hell is in charge of that insane asylum over in Chapel Hill?”

Littlest Angel and his two sons are doing quite a bit better than the aforementioned “insane asylum over in Chapel Hill”.

Coincidentally, a day earlier – Sunday – I stood in the parking lot of Providence Baptist Church following Danny Lotz’ Memorial Service also being queried by another avid Wolfpacker about “what the hell is going on over yonder?”  It is a frequent question.

NOTE: Danny’s service, as expected, attracted a packed sanctuary of area Who’s Who and Who’s That’s including this one African preacher who prayed in a thick Ugandan dialect for AT LEAST 15 minutes or may be it was for 15 hours. Bless his heart!

….. reminding me, of course, of Holden Thorp’s first ever question to me over chili dogs at Sutton’s Drug Store – “BobLee, why does everybody care so much about what goes on over here?”

Holden has moved on to be Assistant Head Wizard @ Hogwarts (a/k/a “Wash U” in St Louis), but the universal curiosity about “over yonder”
    persists.Quidditch

Speaking of Holden…. he is doing very very well. Hogwarts’ Quidditch team recently defeated its arch-rival Eton on those famed “playing fields of”. Their A Capella choir is also nationally ranked. He and Pistol have become quite the Cardinals’ fans. All’s well with The Family Thorp.

So me and my Bistro Buddy went thru all the usual subjects guys talk about…. TGU ….. Donald Trump ….. How hot is Marie Osmond (hubba hubba) ….. How corrupt is Hillary ….. more TGU ….. Racheal Ray (??) …. Is Gene Chizik “a Guru” ….. and his sincere concern that 58WolfKennel “has a screw loose”. To which my answer was “A” screw loose?”

As we were man-hugging our good bys in the parking lot he asked “Have you seen State’s Indoor Practice Facility”? My first thought was what does THAT have to do with Marie Osmond…. but I recovered to say “No, I haven’t.”

“Oh, You HAVE TO SEE IT…. Follow me.” So we caravanned up Trinity Road to Art Chansky’s favorite Fairground football complex.

He was right. “It” HAS to be seen. My first thought was:

“OMG, they are hiding the Hindenburg in there

…. or maybe Snoopy One !!!”

Hindenburg

OK, before I rip into the absolute ABSURDITY of such a facility…. and ABSOLUTE ABSURDITY is being kind…. “Everybody else” either has one….. wants one …. or plans to tear down their current one to build a bigger one. “Everybody” includes The Flagship and, probably, Cardinal Gibbons High School across the street.

NC State is simply “we got one too-ing” with this latest Big Time Athletic ABSURDITY.   “Indoor Practice Facilities (IPF)” are the Jumbotrons of the second decade of the 21st Century.

I can see Coach Dave on his knees begging Frau Yow….

“But but but Madame Frau I JUST GOTTA have a fancy IPF. Surely Bobby (Purcell) can go squeeze a few Fat Wuffs for the chump change (millions) so’s I can keep attracting future “Shadrachs” to come here and earn their Quantum Physics degrees and go forth to save the polar ice cap…..”.

I bet it was the part about “save the polar ice cap” that got Frau and Bobby all teary-eyed. …… “You betcha Coach Dave.  Bobby go shakedown some bragging rights-obsessed Fat Wuffs.” ….. Yes, ma’m.

The hundreds of season ticket-holders whose parking spaces got eaten up by Dave Doeren’s Dirgible Garage surely gave them up eagerly for the greater good of good ol’ NC State.

As my Lupine buddy and I peered thru a window into the MASSIVE facility, I swear I could hear The Caisson Song in the background as I thought:

Roman Gabriel didn’t need “one of these” to come to State.
    Dick Christy didn’t need “one of these” to come to State.
    Johnny Evans didn’t need “one of these” to come to State.
    Dennis Byrd didn’t need …..
    Ted Brown didn’t need ……
    Jim Richter didn’t need ……

Cowdog didn’t need …..
    Torrey Holt didn’t need ……
    “Philip” didn’t need ……
    Mario Williams didn’t need …..
    TA McLendon didn’t need ……
    “Russell” didn’t need ……
    Hell…. “Four Strikes” Shadrach didn’t need “one of these” to come to State.

But they all came anyway and did pretty darn well under the harsh Spartan conditions of Wolfpack Football Before The IPF. …… AMAZING!

Did all these legendary Wolfpack Warriors actually practice in the cold & rain on the relatively rare occasions of inclement weather in Piedmont NC in October / November?   Are Frau and Dave anticipating that that aforementioned “melting polar ice cap” is going to create intolerable practice conditions any day now?

The thought of a wet & cold Dennis Byrd actually having to practice “outdoors” in the same conditions he might have to play in on Saturday sent chills up my spine. OH THE MISERY ….. OH THE HORROR!

My next thought was:  “Geeee, wonder how many fancy jock dorms could fit inside there?” I’m betting a 200-room Ritz Carlton with room left over for a 747…. and Tab Thacker.  Hellfire, Wendell Murphy could easily herd 10,000 head of hogs in there.

“Why does it have to be so massive?” I asked my friend…. who was laughing as hard as I was at the total absurdity we were standing in the shadow of.

“So they can practice punts and kickoffs” he replied thru our hooting.

“Oh, you mean so the kickers don’t get used to kicking under the same cold/wet conditions they might have to kick in during a real game.” I noted.

“Yes”….. by now our sides were hurting we were laughing so hard.

“I gots to ask…. did you give Purcell any $$$$ for this silliness?”

“HELL NO…. and I didn’t give a nickel for that stupid “fancy jock dorm” either” he added.

All this ridiculous fancy big-dollar “Football Arms Race” crap just to impress semi-literate 17 y/os. Once Everybody has Giant Jumbos and Giant IPFs and Fancy Jock dorms and fancy locker rooms with hot tubs and foosball tables…..whats left?

I figure its only a matter of time before…..

“Coach, MAYBE I’ll come to your school – MAYBE – if your wife will give me a lap dance. How bad you want me, Coach?”

“Honey, could you come in here for a minute….. bring a teddy.”

NOTE:  I can already hear Kennell’s BS-planation now…. “It’s Wonderful!  The next time a hurricane hits the NC coast, the entire city of New Bern can move in here and live for a week….”

Speaking of $$$$, my Wolfpack pal had to go “make some”. We man-hugged again and we both drove off down WestChase Drive.

The sounds of our laughter filled the air as we left….. where State is Hiding the Hindenburg.

• VaWolf82 Reply

I nearly had a wreck driving around in circles trying to figure out what I later learned was a blimp hangar in Santa Ann, CA.

The Hindenburg berthed in Lindhurst NJ. The Goodyear blimp used to tether outside the Memphis Airport.

• Dr Wire Reply

I could see Leroy Jethro Gibbs slapping you on the back of yo’ head questioning your self-proclaimed astuteness with “an indoor football practice facility is a big building, ya think?”

I have too wondered about its location as have many State faithful, but the number of people can probably be counted on one hand that have talked with the Engineering firm who signed off on the location 3-5 years ago concerning a facility on the “wish list” since Rivers’ caught a TD in Kenan. I am thinking economic realities such as site cost (prep and construction), placement for long term use as a non-A/C building by its number 1 customers and utility access were part of the process. History shows State builds buildings that stand the test of time a la Reynolds 50+ year run. The exception being a certain round “architectural gem” on campus which failed the ADA Differential Equation exam.

You say “Bling”; the multi-million $ CFB market says “what took you so long”.

As Cowdog noted “in the old days” Roman Gabriel, The Buckey Twins, Ted Brown et al simply went into Carmichael Gym wearing “tennis shoes” on the few days each season that outdoor conditions were intolerable. At UNC they went into Woollen Gym.
        I TOTALLY “get” that State is in an Arms Race with anyone they consider a recruiting rival. If they lose ONE recruit because “ya’ll don’t have an IPF like _____ does, so I’m signing with them” then DD claims he doesn’t have the facilities to “compete”. And DD is not alone. EVERY Power Five coach would claim the same. Semi-literate 17 y/o “blue chippers” are calling the shots.
        It is not an NCSU issue… it is a Big Time College Sports issue.

• Dr Wire Reply

The old days are just that, a way over-used lament by OUR demographic “who walked to school in the snown up a hill both directions” wondering when the world got to its present state. Fetzer complained about 40′ concourses at the RESA when it was debated, but now I cannot imagine that building with the 15′ concourses designed into the DES Center or Gboro Coliseum which fit into “the old days” thinking.

On a similar vein, the “arms race” may seem only a athletic dept issue, but it is equally an issue with recruiting top academic students. The new Hunt Library, Talley Student Center, EB quad on Centinenal and especially the SAS Mathematics Building are realities to raise the bar of State’s academic reputation and capabilities. They are part of the puzzle Woodson is putting together to regain or maintain a top 10 position in academics in high profile departments like Engineering, Data Analytics, Accounting, etc by attracting top talent against competitors like Duke, GaTech, VaTech, Ohio State, Penn State and others. NCSU cannot afford the Holtz quote “things haven’t changed much around here have they” either athletically or academically.

Good points. I will offer one point of rebuttal: The blue-chip research faculty being recruited by the “Academic Arms Race” can all read/write at the college level. I believe a lot of the criticism leveled at the Athletic Arms Race across the Power Five World could be deflected if we ever saw a decrease in the Bad Boy Crap such as Rutgers et al. That, alas, appears ever-increasing.

• Dr Wire

The unfortunate truth is one good thing about social media is its quick ability to expose and expand cases of idiocy whether we want to see it or hear it or not. The right cross in the elevator would never have led to an NFL exile if it was not for social media and it’s cousin, politically correct sports talk radio/tv. Idiocy among athletes even goes back to “the old days”, it was just kept quiet within the family a.k.a. Program. The “arms race” dates back to “the good old days” too when the digits were a whole lot less, but probably of more true financial cost.

True again. “Bad Boys” go all the way back to Cain & Abel (and Seth). The 24/7 news beast has a voracious appetite especially for “click bait” stories.

• oldwuf vet Reply

Got a feeling we would’ve heard louder howls from students on main campus if they hadn’t just finished the new Talley Student Center. Walking through the SC with daughter during early stages of renovations I remarked, “I can’t believe they are renovating this place, it was new when I was here….,..in, never mind, that was 40 years ago.”
      BK comes loaded for bear, don’t he? His knee jerk is a lot more potent and impassioned than mine would be.
      Please don’t encourage expansion of the vet school; latest studies indicate there are10K too many of us. I’ll have to explain that racket to you sometime.

Too many vets ??? There does seem to be a vet clinic on a lot of street corners !! Never thought about that.

• kypackman Reply

I think you wrote this column just for the purpose of poking BK. Shame on you for purposely agitating a guy with a couple of loose screws.

PS – My thanks to Doug for posting the youtube video of the brunswick stew guy. It inspired me to try making some myself. Made a big pot last weekend and it was awesome.

Sort of “guilty as charged”. Poking Kennel is my version of “cow tipping”…. and shooting rats at the city dump with a .22. Actually I thought this column would draw a few REAL card-carrying whack jobs out from under their rocks. Those ones that they keep chained up in the basement of Reynolds. But thus far we haven’t heard from that faction. They must have’em medicated.
        Did you make your stew in a big ol’ cast iron pot and stir it with a boat paddle? Did you throw in some squirrel?

I’m telling you BobLee, those stew making Green brothers from Scotland Neck are YOUR kind of people.

Im OK with that label but The Green Brothers might not be.

I do apologize for a new comment…..but your email about BK’s post and the comments got my curiosity up. I felt this befit a NEW post….Per a sports site that discusses how you “Design” an IPF – November, 2014

“Over the past five years, six schools competing in the ACC have built indoor practice facilities, while another four are scheduled to open by the end of 2015. The University of Florida, lone holdout in the SEC, recently announced that it was seeking design bids for a potential facility”.

You commented that UNC has an IPF, but more discretely disguised…..I guess this is like the infamous quote from Dr. Stangelove…..”Mr. President, we must not allow… a mine shaft gap”. SO, each AD and Coach is now entering the IPF Race and trying to prevent an IPF Gap.

After careful review of the matter, I sought the advice of a person with infinite wisdom…..and one of BK’s heroines……Mrs. Clinton. When asked about the private email server, she quipped that she was NOT the first to have such, the Secretary Powell had one and no one got upset.

SO, using her logic, as long as one ACC school had an IPF, then it is OK for the others to have one.

If you also peruse the website on College Athletics Capital Upgrades and review the monthly pressers, the words IPF appear more “Trump” in the WP…. many at some of the lowliest places in the FB Power Structure. In addition, the “Taj Athletic Dorm” phrase (or equivalent) also appeared in many listings…..as well as “Nutritional Centers”. I guess that each AD must have good PR folks and they read the internet.

I also think that Mayor Landrieu has leased the NCSU IPF as a secondary site should another Cat 4 storm bear down on NO….if so, I might just join the volunteers and party with the folks that really know HOW to party….

This column has got to be moving up the list…..

Do YOU know who the lone hold outs in the ACC IPF Race are? I don’t….but SOMEONE must….

I was VERY up-front that NCSU is NOT at “the vanguard of a new level of ArmsRace Silliness”. You are, as you note, about in the middle of this one re: IPFs. Most IPFs are a bit more “low-key” than yours and on-campus as UNC’s is so it can logically be used by other sports team when available. Not likely with yours despite whatever Kennel Krap he might harrumph to the contrary.

Isn’t that what Pablo Escobar said as he climbed the ladder to the top of Colombian Drug Lords? Absolutely nothing wrong with saying “We Intend To Be Among The Top Programs in Big Time College FB/MBB” …. just don’t go claiming “We also will maintain our academic integrity while doing so…” . Recall another area program that boasted THAT for 25 years. Even with Ol’ Kennel’s bombastic huffing and puffing it simply can’t be done. “Catch Lightning In A Bottle” one season like Wake Forest did a few years ago? Sure… maybe you do that this year. Do it 3-5-8 years in a row ?????

• Alan Pate Reply

“You gotta have a dream.”, and “Don’t ever give up.” Who can you think of that espoused those philosophies?

Go for it! Sure better than “If you ain’t cheating’ you don’t want to win bad enough” AND “It ain’t cheating’ till they catch you.”

99.99% of 5,10, 30, whatever year(s) strategic plans are obsolete once the ink is dry. Maybe this suits in west Raleigh are thinking now is the time to move. Their nemesis is wounded. As you said if UNC is THAT target, someone is aiming low.

All easily predictable knee-jerk responses to, albeit, a precedent-setting circumstance at “their Numero Uno rival / nemesis. Nothing wrong with Red-Ribbon Ad Hoc Committees issuing impressive “position papers” and long-range objectives like “for-real businesses” are suppose to do. Folks like Ol’ BK really get all giddy about such pomp & fallderall.
          Whats that line about “draining the swamp while up-to-you-ass in alligators”? Without a “plan” one simply deals with one’s In-box every day which has to be done but someone needs be concerned with next week / next year / next decade.

• ultraviolet Reply

Further evidence of the wussification of America. Who would guess the effete, academic oriented athletes at UNC would practice under tougher conditions than the supposed blue collar Wolfpack. Of course, after watching last year I can’t swear the Tarheels practiced anywhere. Still, another sign the end times are upon us.

If I’m not mistaken, UNC has its own IPF just not stuck out in the middle of The Fairgrounds for all to see…. and marvel in its Grandeur.

It looks like the Quonset hut, Cole Field House in College Park, MD. Also reminds one of Olympic venues built and under used/not used after the Games are over. Best I can tell the ROI can never be quantified even assuming the ~30 some inclement weather days figure from 2014. But what does rational thinking have to do with any of this silliness. Oneupsmanship is inevitable for neighboring schools. I could have never made in coaching because after showing the kid the brand, spanking, new IPF I’d have probably said this is where were going to run your ass on ugly days till you vomit. Then run you some more. Please come play for me so I can watch.?

It’s naught but “expensive recruiting bling” as is the fancy jock dorm. Just the 2015 version of the infamous “Sweet Carolines”. A recruiting gimmick PERIOD. I’ll be curious how much of a recruit’s visit will be spent touring The Hunt Library versus playing video games in the Murphy Center or beholding the magnificence of “our brand new IPF”. Just like EVERYBODY ELSE does it to the same kids during their visits to their campuses.

• 58wolfkennel Reply

“BL, BL, BL, leave town for a day and you create three new blogs. However, this one is causing me to give a double HARRUMPH !!, one personal and one institutional. On a personal note, ironically and humorously, our family has always reveled in having members with a “screw loose”. It lets one roll with the punches of life instead of having permanently constricted sphincter muscles. And by the way, even though it is always your column, it doesn’t seem fair that your other Wolf friends and responders can gig me through you, but I don’t get a chance to know them (other than your intro to 86Engr) :>))

On an institutional note, surely you could find someone to take you into the IPF rather than looking through windows. What strikes me is that you will continue to find a naysayer and write “scandalous” articles every time NC State gets something nice. You buffaloed one nice guy Alan into apologizing to you who was saying and providing some very interesting information, particularly the video clip on the Hunt Library (also see my “room” in Hunt honoring scholar athletes, the only large group study room on the 4th floor nestled amid the Creative Complex of the Creativity Studio, Surround Visualization Lab, and 3-D Makerspace Lab. Coaches bring recruits and parents here on campus tours to make the case of NC State’s long term commitment to nexus of academic and athletic excellence the Right Way :>))

As far as the Close-King IPF is concerned, I had some early questions but in talking with the coaches and recognizing the recruiting landscape, I support and feel good about it. One of the named sponsors Jimmy King is a fraternity brother who was a pledge serving breakfast to the Big O in 1958 when at Everett Case’s request, we turned our Delta Sigma Phi fraternity house back into a hotel to house both Cincinnati and Michigan State for the Dixie Classic (when no hotel in the area would take an integrated team).
      Get used to nicer things happening at NC State in well-planned and built facilities that are done with private money not from “Fat Cats” but lean and mean wolves who eat fat cats and old rams. Good talk with Chancellor Randy about the “dormitory” next to Case Academic Center. All private $ and much less than advertised when finally built. Same was true with the IPF.

Might as well get used to more new things coming. The Centennial Campus land which came from Gov Hunt (1000 acres) and Gov Martin (200 acres) has set in motion the so-called “Sleeping Giant” which awakens within the Hunt Library (well pasts the “blimp” housing stage). Even the first Centennial inhabitant “College of Textiles” is tops in the world. The Hunt Library is already known as top 5 in the world. The Lonnie Poole Golf Course, Park Alumni Center, Friday Education Center, Chancellor Home, Gregg Art Museum, and construction start this Fall on the new Lakeside Hotel/Conference Center are all private money.

It’s setting the stage for a major East-West cooperative boundary from the Bell Tower to I-40 for the ultimate “Town-Gown Handshake” between Raleigh’s Dix Hill Destination Park and NC State. So you will have blog cannon fodder for years to come, but in the meantime, nice things will continue to happen at NC State.

PS: Several years ago the Centennial Campus was voted the top new Research Park in the world.”

YIPPEEE… the much-anticipated Bre’r Kennel Response to “…Hide The Hindenburg”. As always, posted here in all its 100% unedited erudite magnificence . I will be as succinct as I can so as not to dim Bre’r’s HARRUMPH.
        BK, may you always deem MY website “unfair” to you until I rename it BobKennelSays which, alas, is not in our long-range plans. BK, you have labored long and hard to establish yourself as a celebrity “character” in WolfpackNation. There is a price to such a distinction. #One is “renown” to be commented about by those NOT desiring “celebrity” status. #Two is a cadre of un-fans who react to your avatar as vampires to a crucifix. If anyone (lupine or otherwise) wishes to engage you here they are encouraged to do so. If they choose to discuss you “off-line”, also their choice. Ergo, you will continue to be “a character” on this website. Paul Finebaum’s SECNetwork show has 3-4 “Kennels” who stay true to their over-the-top personas, as do you. Paul and I both appreciate the “flavor” you “characters” add to the mix.
        I knew “having A screw loose” would be considered a compliment, otherwise I would NOT have used it. The issue of how many screws you have loose is debatable.
        Now, to all your bloviating flatulence accusing me of deriding The Emerging Flagship. Hogwash Bre’r…. pure Hogwash. I mean no offense to Wendall by that porcine reference. The academic accomplishments of NCSU are far above derision. I have long and loquaciously applauded CentCampus, the Hunt Library and similar landmark achievements at “State College”. And I certainly have lauded Chanc Randy to a level deserving of sainthood. Making me your “straw man” as a derider of NCSU reflects more on YOUR terminal paranoia than to archived FACTS. Continue to pretend I don’t give NCSU it’s due…. while I will continue to do exactly the opposite. I attribute that foolishness to your aforementioned “loose screws”.
        re: IPF… call it what you will as befits the Kennelian WorldView… it IS simply the Wolfpack’s “now we have one too…” piece of expensive “recruiting bling” just as countless similar facilities across POWER FIVE LAND. As is “the fancy jock dorm”. Simply proof positive that NCState is fully committed to the Arms Race in Big Time College Sports. Go ahead and call “your Fat Cats” the freakin’ next Twelve Apostles or The Legion of Extraordinary Human Brings or whatever flowery BS you wish. “They” are men (women ??) who are determined that NCState be “competitive” AT ALL COSTS in the High Stakes Game of Big Time College Sports and are willing to ante up the $$$$ to achieve that objective. Yours are no more / less “noble” than any other similar bunch across POWER FIVE LAND.
        I look forward to applauding future institutional advances by NCSU. I also look forward to laughing at the “just like everybody else” aspects of NCState. I expect a bounty of both. …. and for THE Bre’r Kennel to continue to be OH, Sooooo Predictable! 🙂

With all this private money will institutions be granting naming rights like bowls games? NCSU Sponsored by Alamo Car Rental Wolfpack. Notice I didn’t insult with a John Deere reference. Michigan with Chrysler etc. This could be the next new money opportunity and could get really silly which would be funner than the kicking machine on the way to da beach betwixt and tween New Bern & Havelock.

I can recall about 5-6 years ago a GREAT HUE & CRY that corporate logos might mar the pristine grandeur of Dean’s Dome…. NOOOOO screamed the life-long traditionalists. YESSSS countered the Accountants Payable staff. The latter won that battle.
            The WNBA (YIKES!) already has logos on their uniforms like NASCAR drivers. That will be coming soon to FB and MBB.
            Actually the late Felix Harvey purchased The Kicking Machine and moved it to his “peach orchard/produce market” at Mallards @ Falling Creek.

• Doug

It, or a duplicate, is still there.

🙂

• geek49203 Reply

The public has fickle tastes when it comes to sporting events. Just ask the NASCAR people who are busy pulling out seats around their tracks and trying to ‘splain why their Hall of Fame is a ghost town. I recall when baseball was much a bigger thing, and my grandfather talked about harness racing.

Don’t tell the powers that be, but the big time sports we see today are likely to be the empty stadium white elephants in a couple of decades, maybe less.

Don’t tell the academic powers that be, but the current university system won’t be around in another 10 or so either.

So maybe the IPF will actually end up garaging a dirigible? How ironic if that happens.

• ultraviolet Reply

I’m still trying to get past the ‘Bistro’ thingy. That’s where Washington pointy heads go to ‘solve’ the country’s problems whilst writing up their expense reimbursement forms over martinis. Were there ferns and quiche aplenty? Were there no diners or barbecue places available? I am near my disillusionment threshold .

Thats true. This one is a rib & wings place on Trinity Road across from The Carter. I’m sure they chose “Bistro” because it rhymed with Backyard sort of. I had a blue cheese “lettuce wedge” and a bowl of soup.

• Alan Pate Reply

GREAT Sports Bar, outstanding food, ala Angus Barn, but casual, football friendly, and Wolfpack oriented. However, many fans of national caliber teams enjoy it. Don’t you wish there was something like that just as close to Kenan Stadium ?

Not really. Kenan Stadium is not a frequent destination of mine. I think you have me confused with all the “Carolina Way” Tru Blues you seem to dislike an awful lot. That said, I agree BB IS a very fine “sports bar” but I’m not really a “sports bar” kinda guy.

• ultraviolet Reply

So do they only want fans of national caliber programs in their joint? To hell with them then. They probably cook over gas, not wood anyway.

Now now “ultra”…. a sports bar located about a Big Bertha drive from Carter-Finley / PNC Arena is likely to be more Wolfpack / Hurricane Red than any other PMS color. Same with Spanky’s on Franklin Street. I ain’t never seen a picture of Jimmy V on Spanky’s walls. The food at BB is quite good for alls I can tell.

• Alan Pate Reply

You have obviously never been to the Backyard Bistro.

Only about a dozen times. I really like their “pig wings”. Their brunswick stew is “ok”. Their soups are usually quite good. I don’t eat bread so I stay away from their sandwiches. Think I may have had their ribs once… they were probably good. Other than all this, I know nothing about the place… but I bet YOU do. 🙂
          Oh, and there’s a picture of Dumplin’ Purdue on the wall along with, I guess, one of the owners.

• Alan Pate Reply

Sorry, BL, my comment was directed at “ultraviolet”, who obviosly has never been to Backyard Bistro. By the way, congratulations on all the hits, responses, All you have to do is bait the wuffies. Like me.

I was wondering. You seemed a bit “snarky”. 🙂 …. IF I am trolling for wuffs hits, I just post one of Chansky’s columns. All traffic on Hillsborough and Western Blvd comes to a stop.
              FYI… about 60% of my viewers don’t live “around here”. He probably has never been to BB. Thats why they call it The Worldwide Web. 🙂

• Wolfpack00 Reply

My blimp is bigger than your blimp!

Not the size of the wand but the skill of the magician.

• Wolfpack00 Reply

Not exactly where I was going but hey, works for me.

• TheCowdog Reply

You asked, I shall answer. IF we were endangered by hurricane, tornado,or floods of biblical proportion, we donned our Chuck Taylors and commandeered Carmichael Gymnasium under Lou.

Cold, wet practices were my fave as they stood in stark contrast to 95° heat with 80% humidity. Yeah, now that’s where an IPF might come in handy, come to think of it…AC provided of course.

Oh…most folks that lost parking slots are actually, at least, semi-po’d.

I kinda figured they would be… p’o’ed. I would be.
        “over yonder” we went into Old Woollen Gym after they ran out the frat boys playing 3 on 3. Some how we managed, not unlike how Lewis & Clark managed with a GPS or MapQuest.

BL,
      I gotta hand it to you…..when I think you have run out of column fodder…..you pull the proverbial rabbit out of the Mad Hatter’s chapeau.

I THINK that I wrote this here after our trip last summer to Canada and New England. We spent a week at an RV campground just a few miles south of the Gillette Complex (Brady’s DeFlateGate HQ). We were in the LAST open practice session where there were at least 25K fans and the fire marshal shut the gate and was more despised than (fill in the blank). It was an unGodly affair and I feared for the safety of my GK’s as the little old ladies dressed in Brady attire (one was at least 60 and in a Patriot’s bikini top….talk about structural engineering to prevent Furniture Disease).

The reason for the crowd was that it was going to rain and rain and RAIN for the next few days and this was a joint Eagles – Patriots practice and scrimmage. We have photos and rememberances, but I will not post them.

Point is…..the NEXT day, the Patriots practiced OUTSIDE. Tommy (I never told them to DeFlate the balls) Brady was interviewed on local TV as saying that it was great….(the Eagles cancelled theirs). It gave them an opportunity to experience what a real world Sunday might be like and that he wished it would have been colder.

My wife, a very astute observer, then noted as we drove past the partially completed IPF last fall…”Why is it that a Super Bowl winning team and QB WANT to practice OUTDOORS and get an advantage and WE (the WPN) want an INDOOR field?”. I did not have an answer then…..nor do I have one now….but SOMEBODY must of thought it was worthwhile. I did not donate to the special fund….even though I had personal (robocalls) from many supporters to do so.

As to hiding the Hindenburg or Snoopy, it ain’t BIG enough. Most of the modern day blimps or Lighter Than Air Ships are bigger…..some 800 Feet in length. As to height, they are around 45 feet high and require clearance for the gondollas and stuff. Granted the NCSU IPF has a roof height of 65 Feet…..which seems very LOW to me. The NFL requires 85 Feet and the 90 Foot high JumboTron in the Dallas (all Virgin Cheerleaders) Cowboys was hit in the first game or season.

I don’t quite “get” the ability to practice kickoff’s, punts, and FG during bad weather.

You DID mention Hillary in your comments…..did you read the WSJ Opinion that compares her (or the State Department) to Ashley Madison? Seems like they feel that there is more moral outrage and indignation about the outing of adulterers than Mrs. Clinton’s email shenanigans…..and also MORE accountability by the CEO and Ashley Madison execs…..maybe AP will chime in on this.

Someone has stated that “a fancy IPF” was part of DD’s “package” to come to State. Like Butch had to have A Blue Zone ???? I guess semi-literate 17 y/os aren’t the only ones who gets all giddy over big bright shiney things. I really can’t complain since I just keep getting to say I TOLD YOU SO! 🙂

• CherieR Reply

BobLee, I have to know…. are the Wuff Lunatics in your cup-de-sac yet with the catapults and molotov cocktails yet? By the way, you had me at …..”A” screw loose?

🙂 …I liked “…A screw loose?” too. No on the Lunatics; but I expect a few of their scouts to be reconnoitering the area before dark. Blondie planted a few claymore mines around our perimeter which tends to discourage about 20% of’em. Lowe’s just called they have sold out of pitchforks which was expected before I posted this one. I told Lowe’s and Home Depot to stock up on’em. Yes, I get a commission. 🙂

• GoPack Reply

Nice players are like nice cars; garaging keeps them in better shape 🙂

It’s ya’lls $$$ to spend however you wish. Life is all a Matter of Priorities!

• fayettewuf Reply

How big would you expect the bedroom of a sleeping giant to be?;-)

Trick question…. normally 50 cubits by 75 cubits.
        So, are you saying THAT is what is hiding in Doeren’s Hindenburg’s Hangar? Is NCSU NOW claiming to be “a sleeping giant” TOO? “Sleeping giants” are not faring too well these days…. UNC and Illinois.

• fayettewuf Reply

I am not a spokesman for NCSU but doubtless some of Pack fans deep down inside are pretty sure that we are a sleeping giant. I was kidding, have read your piece on Illinois.

Bet the 32 days of practice lost was part of power point presentation while the project was in the begging and pleading for funds stage.

For sure. There is a canned strategy for such campaigns. Finagling $$$ out of Fat Cats by promising them “it’ll help us beat (fill in Hated Rival name) always works. It ain’t brain surgery when you’re dealing with such mindsets.

And with “How big would you expect the bedroom of a sleeping giant to be?” Fayettewuf is the leader in the clubhouse. There’s still time to overtake him/her but though the odds are slim there must be someone that can challenge. This one could break all time BLS records. One of the gooder ones.

That one is “on the short list” for sure. Your Facebook line about Red Zeppelin was first-rate too; but took some thought. 🙂

• Lobo Reply

A pal of mine said he heard in Coach’s show last night that we lost 32 days of practice last year due to weather. At least now we are on Par w others.

(((And we still wupped the CHeats.)))

Did DD mean “Weather like we might have to play in on Saturday.”
        What did Earle Edwards do when it rained or got chilly?
        Lou Holtz….??
        Bo Rein…. ??
        Dick Sheridan…. ??
        Bear Bryant….. ??
        Pop Warner…. ??
        Knute Rockne….. ??
        I could go on, you know!
        As for “whupp the Cheats” ?? Is that the Latest Gold Standard on The Brickyard? Please tell me Randy has you folks aiming higher than THAT. “CHeats” wastes millions on stoopid Big Time Sports Crap too… if CHeats does it… do you HAVE TO TOO? Didn’t your mamma ever warn you about “If your friend Johnny jumps off a cliff…..”? 🙂

• Alan Pate Reply

Any time it thunders, you better go indoors.

It seems to me if you had your way, we’d still be playing at Riddick and at Woolen and ECTC would focus on playing Lenoir Rhyne rather than Florida, Virginia Tech, and Brigham Young.

Sorry, I am being rude. I enjoy your columns and I did not mean to become “personal” in my critiques.

Best wishes, Alan

As for lightning, I’m like that priest in Caddyshack… so long as you don’t insult my mother, I’m fine with spirited criticism. 🙂
            Actually there was a nice “makes sense” point in this Headlong Athletics Arms Race that got obliterated about a decade or so ago. As with all of societal’s ills, we all blame it on “the ubiquitous Them” and jump into the fire with everyone else. I’m just a little Dutch boy trying to plug one little hole in the dike… I can’t / won’t stop the flood. 🙂

• Alan Pate Reply

Just trying to be the best in NC (and eventually the ACC, and eventually the Nation) WITHOUT CHEATING. By the way, have you toured the NC State Golf facilities yet? How about Centennial Campus? And THE HUNT LIBRARY ! (Something conservatives and chea-holes could never imagine).

v=p4KgjYuJpnc&hq_e=el&hq_m=952153&hq_l=9&hq_v=041bd9dea3

Yawn…. Centennial Campus YES …. Hunt Library YES …. Golf Facilities NO. CC and HL are both terrific. I hope YOU contributed significant $$$ to both very worthwhile endeavors.
        If you think it takes a “now we’ve got one too” IPF to make NC State a World-Class University (which it already IS in many respects) you have an “interesting” set of values.

• Alan Pate Reply

Yes my $$$$ went to all four of these fine facilities. Sorry my link to the golf video did not work. I will try again:

Good for you Alan. I’m not into “institutional loyalty”; but I applaud and appreciate why many folks are.
            Build a Super-Collider!…. Double the size of your Vet School! I will enthusiastically applaud all such worthwhile endeavors.

• Old MacDonald Reply

First, I agree with your message and tone on the topic. Supposedly the “IPF” situation was discussed when DD was being wooed/hired. That’s how important those things are perceived to be — he had to be assured that we would be getting a nice one before he would commit to coming here. Having an “IPF” is not even optional if you want to recruit on a level playing field, and State is always recruiting uphill anyway, so we can’t afford not to have one. (Is the thinking). It is hardly the biggest or nicest — scroll through some of the SEC or Big 12 fuh-cilities if you want your eyes to pop out. And ours is NOT big (tall) enough to do punts or kickoffs — the cost of that was deemed too prohibitive.

As to Holden’s naïve question — UNC told (tells) everyone non-stop how great they were/are and took every chance to rub State’s nose in our problems. Is it really a mystery? If he could not figure that out he’s not as smart as his press clippings say he is.

Holden was thinking far beyond sports with his “everything we do over here” query. Yes, he was naive, but now he’s very happy.
        I gotta ask…. did DD also ask Frau for a lap dance before he agreed to leave Northern Wherever? I love your term “how important those things are perceived to be”. YOWSA!!! IMO…. such crap is ridiculous any where they are “perceived to be important”.

• SeaIsland Gambler Reply

Is that De-emphasis II peeking through yon shrubs? I never thought I’d say this, but maybe it’s time!

Nope. Not until a coach “on the hot seat” actually trades his teenage daughters for a linebacker. i.e. “next year”.

• Charlotte Wuffie Reply

BobLee, the new practice facility was desperately required! The aromas from TGU wafting from Orange County made outdoor practice unbearable.
      Ya gotta be able to focus!

I’m putting together a list. Did you write BP a check for this?
        Nothing stopped To’B from Five In A Row.

• Charlotte Wuffie Reply

Mark me in the “Not a Chance” column.

I know you well enough to have already known THAT! 🙂

• frank linstreet Reply

You just know Chuck The Chest is saying “If I’d had me one of them, TA’s knee woulda never touched the ground…. Hell, I mighta even beat Akron.”

Touche.
        Down at South Carolina, Ray Tanner remembers “all I ever asked Todd for was indoor plumbing at Doak Field… but noooo.”
        In Hickory, Chris Washburn is thinking “and they said I was dumb??”

• rivlax Reply

Dang, the Wuffies got one before the Georgia Bulldogs, even.

I hear Campbell just broke ground on theirs. Martin Middle School’s will be next. We be BIG TIME !!!!! YEEE Haa!