Dirty Harry Meets Gene Chizik 2.0

Dirty Harry
    September03/ 2015

What did Harry Callahan, John Tenuta, Dave Huxtable and Dr Laurence J. Peter all know….. that Gene Chizik and Bobby Collins learned The Hard Way?  Listen up my friends and you shall hear….

I’ve not met him and likely never will; but I’ve heard nothing but good things coming from amid the lofty pines about Gene Chizik 2.0 …. the version now “coaching the defense” over in Chapel Hill.   You probably know who he is.

Gene ChizikActually I HAVE heard some un-good things about Coach Chizik.from ABCers who have never met him and likely never will.  “They” portray him as “Eeeeevil on a soda cracker”….. the personification of Allll the multitudinous  malevolences running rampant across Big Time College Football…. the poster-boy for cheatin’ and shady doins’…. a for-real low-down dirty bird (war eagle?) for certain.   Again, I can’t say…. I’ve not met the man.

BE ADVISED:  If Billy Graham, The Pope and Mother Teresa were driving down I-40 to da beach; and took Exit 270 for a bite of lunch…. went into Sutton’s Drug Store for chili dogs and were spied by a lurking ABCer who snapped their pic…. and posted it on PPride.   St Peter would receive 10,000 emails demanding that Billy, Pope and Terri all be denied entry thru His Pearly Gates for even setting foot “over yonder”.  Being hated by ABCers ain’t that hard to do.  It happens to me about every six weeks or so.  🙂

Could Gene Cizik be the long-awaited messiah who as a lowly DCoor will awaken the “sleeping giant”, smite Damn Dan Kane and stir up the echoes of Choo Choo and LT? ….. “echoes of Choo Choo and LT” ????

Laurence Peter….  OR…. Could he simply be a fellow who “Peter Principled” ….. succeeded so well as he climbed the career ladder that he took one more step than his skill set was designed for?  That is what Dr Laurence J. Peter’s infamous Principle means….

“going one step beyond where your skill set / competence was designed to carry you…. where the wheels come off the previously fine-tuned motor car.  Succeeding to your Level of Incompetence.

Did you know the TWO most worn-out cliches in the 70s were (1) “Peter Principle”, and (2)I’m a people person“.  Aaaarrgghhh.

Did the cruel unforgiving Football Gods keep whispering in Gene Chizik’s ear….. “You are such a fine Defensive Coordinator, you’d make an excellent Head Coach with all it’s glory and celebrity…. Go For It.   Sure being a Head Coach is completely different from Coordinating, but what the heck Go For It….. so, like most who hear that siren’s song Gene Chizik did Go For It.

BobLee, what does this have to do with Dirty Harry.   Patience Young Grasshopper.  Patience.

The corporate world is littered with Peter Principled corpses who “went for it”.   Outstanding salesmen who turned out NOT to be very good CEOs.   Outstanding “finance guys” who could not lead a troop of Boy Scouts around the block…. but went for “the corner office” and flopped.   And outstanding Coordinators who lacked just one /two of the inherent personality traits necessary to be a Head Coach…. at least on The Big Stage.

Rare indeed is the man (or woman) who can self-evaluate and admit:  For all the reasons I’m pretty darn good at “doing this”, I would not be very good at all “doing that”.

From my own experiences I’d say it is rare indeed.  You are doing what you like to do and doing it very well… funny how those two things seem to go together.  Yet you are compelled to go just one step beyond…. thru the career portal into a world that demands you be who you are not, doing things you are not very good at doing.

The swaggering “gunfighter” litigator who dazzles’em in the courtroom…. who makes a gawdawful senior partner.   The most excellent classroom teacher who delights in lighting the learning lamp…. who forsakes where he/she is so very content…. to be a Principal forever burdened with “paperwork” and administrative crap and as far from the self-satisfaction of “lighting learning lamps” as possible.

An oft-told tale in every field of endeavor.  Let he who has not tasted that bitter reality throw the first stone at Gene Chizik…. or at Carl Torbush…. or at John Bunting…. or maybe at Mike O’Cain ….. at Chuck Amato.   Did Smilin’ John Tenuta and Dave “Must Die” Huxtable know something they did not know?

Dirty Harry?   Patience Young Grasshopper.

A classic example from days long gone by would be Bobby Collins.  Somehow a good ol’ boy from One-StopLight, Mississippi who liked “coachin’ football” getting down in the trenches and blowing his whistle and yelling at kids….. woke up one day in the early 80’s on Beverley Drive in toney Highland Park, Texas on the campus of fru-fru Southern Methodist University as Head Coach of The Mustangs .   If Gene Chizik ever gets to bemoaning HIS FATE, Gene should call Bobby Collins.

I knew Bobby Collins…. and I was living right outside Highland Park TX in the early 80s.  If EVER there was a more awkward fit than Bobby Collins and SMU, it has yet to be dreamt of in the mind o’ man.   …. Julia Roberts marrying Lyle Lovett?  Touche.

Bobby Collins

Gene won a national championship at Auburn…. made millions for 4-5 years…. got a cushy buy-out…. and now is the 4th highest paid employee at The Flagship (do I mean 3rd?  No, you forget Bill Roper who runs UNCHealth Whatever).

And Bobby Collins now in his late 70s is back in Mississippi being “weren’t you that coach that got THE DEATH PENALTY?”

As so often is the case, we turn to San Francisco Homicide Detective Harry Callahan.   NOT Police Commissioner Callahan…. NOT Mayor Callahan…. just Homicide Detective Harry Callahan.

-Dirty-Harry-Callahan-dirty-harry-34346969-200-200

Dr Laurence J. Peter and Harry Callahan notwithstanding; Gene Chizik COULD indeed be “Eeeevil on a soda cracker…. “a mercenary on a mission” to drive the final nail in the Tar Heel coffin…. John Blake on steroids.

….. OR just “a football coach” who lost his way.

Time away from football showed Gene Chizik how he wanted to return

, USA TODAY Sports 4:02 a.m. EDT September 3, 2015

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — There are scars on Gene Chizik’s career that will never completely go away, circumstances he can’t reverse, feelings that lingered for a long time about the way Auburn dumped him two years after delivering the school’s first national championship in more than a half-century.

But when Chizik makes his return to coaching Thursday night as North Carolina’s defensive coordinator in a nationally televised game against South Carolina, he will do so as a man empowered to be the one thing that was so hard for him to pull off as a head coach: Himself.

The aloof, dispassionate caricature that Chizik struggled to escape during turbulent times at Auburn has been replaced by a version unafraid to share his personality and thankful to go back to his roots as one of the finest defensive minds in college football.

“I look back on things, and there’s parts of this profession that I did not enjoy when I should have,” Chizik said. “I look back on that and feel like I’m going to enjoy whatever I’m doing (now) because I don’t have to do it. This is my choice, and I won’t choose to be miserable. I just want it to be different.”

READ MORE….  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2015/09/03/gene-chizik-north-carolina-defensive-coordinator-returns–coach/71598520/

• Cabcash Reply

“Good/ungood” who knows? It was less Chizik’s hiring than the fact he was even considered that raised eyebrows. Mired in Year 5 of TGU , one might think the flagship’s PTB would avoid candidates having even the slightest hint of impropriety on their resumes…deserved or otherwise. I’ve searched the “carolina commitment” and have yet to find which one of lil’ Carol’s “reforms” gives the A-Ok to events such as “Big Cat Weekends” and “Tiger Prowls.” Hey , maybe Gene wasn’t involved with the pay-for-play , grade-changing and Cecil’s salary demand shenanigans but he could certainly see ’em from where he was positioned at the time…or should have. At this point , he’s from the “Huck and Butcher School of Coaching Oversight.” Again , why even the courtesy of a job interview? Of course , his current employer is considering the candidacies of Kevin Guskiewicz and Laurie Maffly-Kipp shortly after re-upping Lissa Broome too. All 3 are tracking TGU mud all over the carpet and I’ve yet to find a “reform” that rationalizes any of that either.

I agree on all points. I appreciate LF wanting a TOP DCoor and apparently he and Chizik “go way back”. Did ANYONE play Devil’s Advocate re: How will this play in Shelby or Hickory or Wilmington?? Who knows. I’d like to think Bubba weighed the pluses and minuses but don’t know. “How will this play with ABCers?” should have minimal weight if at all. I am on record as pretty much disagreeing with every key decision “over there” in the past five years, so I’m not the best judge of such. 🙂
        I was with “a key figure” in TGU recently and I asked could they name ANY of the “70-100 “changes” that have been put in place to prevent THIS CRAP from ever reoccurring? They could not name one! Those 70-100 changes seem to be mentioned in every SACS and NOA story ???

My boring analysis. Chizik doesn’t have to do too much or have much to prove on the field at any rate. As bad as the defense was in 2014, any accomplishment that improves the D up to just average will be considered guruesque. If on the other hand the D zooms into the top ten in several categories The C will either be moving on to greener pastures or under another investigation. Or both. Fully expect some modest defensive improvement by the middle to late season. Picking the SEC school tonight against an ACC school is not a bold move. SEC by 10. Often wrong, never in doubt.

Either possibility certainly exists. For sure it will be examined in-depth and over-analyzed.

I did learn a new phrase….Fru-Fru. That seems to fit the Light Blue Smurfette. If I read the various bio’s on her at Dartmouth, then she was at her peak capacity (the PP Level) THERE. BUT, being the overachiever that she is, she done moved up a few notches.

It may also be a PP Level moment for Roger Gooddell….

I forget my “most likely to….” monikers (both from teachers and classmates), but NEVER did I foresee what my life and career path would offer. I DID suffer from the “You gotta be a Plant Manager by 30…” syndrome and fortunately (for me as well as a lot of unnamed future subordinates), that never happened. BUT, I found my niche….and made my mark on the world from a Safety and Environmental standpoint. Will never be a Legend, but there are folks that still ask the question when a problem arises in a manufacturing situation…..”What would NCSU68Grad do to fix this?”. That was the greatest compliment ever paid to me during a return visit when one of my Ex-Plants had achieved a high level award from NC.

So, I UNDERSTAND IT…..but like the little grasshopper, I had to send the column to Clint, my Navajo Code Talker….and he done ‘splained the rest of it to me.

I questioned the logic, given Gene’s background, of hiring him. Probably the lady administrator in the Christian Academy that hired a registered Sex Offender and is doing community service to expunge her Felony conviction, had the same intent.

BUT, if old GC Rev 2 can legitimately extol the lads (that are really academically qualified) to fight the good UNC D fight and the D improves….then that is the proof of the hiring.

I also would wonder if you are using the Rev BB’s “Crowd” estimator Excel spreadsheet regarding the ABC’ers with computer access and St. Pete’s Email address….BUT, admittedly, Big Ole Marv has done more for increasing the ranks of the ABC’ers than anything I can remember…..

I guess we will know tonight…..but I have a little trouble in believing that the Steve v. Larry battle tonight will somehow Predict (Seal the fate?) of both Larry and Gene…..however, many of Danny boy’s peers are pecking out articles to that end.

I’ll be watching…..but would have watched even if Gene was not on the sideline. Twill be interesting…..and after watching the body language of Tommy (I AIN’T Suspended) Brady last night, I do NOT think that he thought the Judge would vacate the Evil Roger’s ruling…..but who knows. I am SURE that ESPN will have a camerabperson following Geno tonight and we will hear all the stories….if UNC is lackluster, they might comment on his “supposed” Fru Fru exploits….if they are stellar, then we will surely hear how GC Rev 2 is a fine upstanding member of the NCAA coaching community….and a fine successor to LF, should the Offense let the Defense down.

Wonder if Steve’s OC will DARE stare down GC Rev 2’s lineup in a critical 4th and Inches situation? You could paraphrase the total comment about the UNC DL being the most potent in the nation under GC Rev 2 (like the S&W M629 Nickel .44 Magnum)……and then close with….”Do I feel lucky?”… Well, do ya, punk?”…

So much for your Fall Resolution about “concise comments”. You hung in there for 2-3 weeks, I’m impressed. 🙂

Sorry about that…..like your little grasshopper, I got lost….and kept typing until I got back on track.

NOW, having watched THE GAME…..it appears that Under the Dome will have less drama that Larry is NOW under the BUBBLE.

Will the Pete Carroll 4th & interception play be remembered and is LF’s fault? Was the GC Rev2 D “up to it”? The Vegas line was 2.5. I assume that the BM’s are pecking like Woody Woodpecker on a dead pecan tree….

What say you about the outcome? But ONE game does not really make a season…..unless you have used up your “One Coordinator UNDER the Bus” Keep Your Job Trump (I took the Pledge) Card. Drama lives in UNC….the FC of the RC can’t be too happy…..

I was more surprised by the 20,000+ empty seats.

• NCSU68Grad

Saw a blurb where Steve Spurrier commented on his radio show about the “Super Bowl Game Pricing” of the tickets and was NOT complimentary of the way it was priced. It was originally to be a weekend game, but ESPN changed that. The Club levels were outrageous (Spurrier quote). His wife’s ticket was $257. The uppers were $70. I talked to a few UNC folks this morning that said the pricing and the date change were the motivators to watch it on HD in the comfort of their living room.

I believe I note that in an early paragraph. Greedy gougers with The Charlotte Sports Foundation. 🙁

• unctarheel1984 Reply

“I’ve not met him and likely never will …” Why is that? As to either end of the sentence fragment? Surely of man of your estimable internet sway could find an opportunity to sit down with a guy you write a column about. Now that the season is officially under way, you may have to wait until the Birmingham Tidy Bowl has been played and Chizik has some time on his hands, but I’m satisfied that if you want to work it out Chizik would accommodate. Are you afraid maybe you would like him?

“would like him” ??? You’re confusing me with folks who do/don’t like people based on “where they went to school” or “what jersey they cheer for”. That is NOT one of my personal shortcomings. I “like” Bob Kennel, BubbaTheRealAD, CoachK, Holden Thorp, Steve Spurrier and a lot of people in between. My closest pal for 55 years is a Duke-educated lawyer who is a yellow-dog Democrat !!!
        As far as “sway, Governor Martin could not get a meet with Roy for four months; and I can’t get a lunch with Dr Debbie. “Sway” is greatly over-rated…. THAT SAID, later on today I AM having a plate of nachos with a certain “Whistleblower”. Does THAT score me a point? 🙂

• unctarheel1984 Reply

You misunderstood my comment about “might like him”. Rather than saying you “do/don’t like people based on where they went to school”, I am suggesting you actually get to know the man before passing judgment on him. A novel concept in 2015, but one I believe in.

Nothing I said had anything to do with “passing judgment” on what an exemplary human being Good Ol’ Gene likely is. I will comment on the public information available about him and his career. You are, I’m sure, as exemplary a human being as Gene probably is. I run into a lot of “you” on the Internet. It encourages me that there is hope for mankind.
            For the record I don’t think “All State Fans are red-neck Farmers” and even if they were that’s not a bad thing at all. Nor are “ALL Duke fans Jews from New Jersey”. Two of my five closest friends are Duke grads and both are Methodists from Downeast. But, of course, I haven’t “actually met” all State fans or all Duke fans so what do I know ??? 🙂

• seaIsland Gambler Reply

Rising beyond your capability and doing stupid things are honored American traditions…. as are the bear traps fate plants with the English language. No matter what, somebody always says something about something illegal, stupid, or both… and the conversation recipient, and subsequent dispenser, who doesn’t have to possess an IQ north of a teenage Warf rat to be believed… becomes a star…see Marvin’s tweet for verification… A wad of hundred dollar bills flashed at Arby’s will have Gene detailing Yugo’s at Mack Brown’s Used Car Emporium and Authentic Texas BBQ restaurant in Fuquay-Varina in one day

L’il Carol will send Larry over the next day amid his protestations that he didn’ know nothin’ and De-Emphasis II will follow, much to Gene Nichols delight.

In summation from down here where it’s rained every day for a week, the tale of whether Chizik’s standards have moved from the dark side to what is left of ‘the Carolina Way’ will expose itself over the next few months. Dan and a few of his buddies will be watching, dreaming of Pulitzers and interviews on CBS and ESPN… and hoping to rise to their levels of incompetence.

…unaware that they done passed it!

Blessed be the truly incompetent for they shall never recognize their incompetence and be tenured guvmint bureaucrats FOREVER.

• Frank linstreet Reply

I hesitate to say “quintessential” because it is difficult to spell and quite pretentious…. but THIS could be THE Quintessential BobLeeSays of All Time.

Not only taking us into psycho-depths Freud only imagined but artfully blending pop culture with trivial football crap. If only Oprah still had her show, surely her producer would be calling. KUDOs out the Wazoo!

Alas, I’m more a Jerry Springer kinda guy that “Madame O”. Blondie did ask after her initial read “You think Dr Debbie Don’t Do Lunch” would get ANY of this? To which I replied “I certainly hope not.”

• 58wolfkennel Reply

“Well, another great response lost. Nevertheless, in summary, you continue to amaze me, BL, with the breadth of your insight into human nature. It should make us all think about where each of us has come from in life as well as where we are headed. It made me think about my own family: my Dad who just wanted to be the best mailman in the world; my Mom who wanted to be the best mother in the world while serving church and community in a myriad of ways; my sister Jennie who was a great middle-school teacher who resisted all push to become the Principal; my wife Elaine who wanted to be the best wife, mother, grandmother, and friend in the world. Even I only strove to make things happen as a societal “catalyst” while never running for public office or desiring to be a company president.
      Now to the subject at hand. Cards lost, Turner stole a base on them, Dodgers swept Giants, and this weekend we await the start of an assessment of whether Chizik 2.0 or Huxtable 3.0 will mean the most to their respective teams.

It was my high school guidance counselor – Mrs Agnes Freeman – who first said “BobLee, with your breadth of insight into human nature… you oughta be an Internet Legend”. Agnes Freeman was quite the visionary back in 1964.
        So advised I promptly dove into the odious quicksand bog of Corporate America for what seemed an eternity… think Prometheus getting his liver eaten every day. Then one day technology caught up with Agnes Freeman’s vision and VOILA! 🙂
        Could not watch Cards v Nats as it is “a in-market game” but, indeed, the Birds suffered a rare set-back. Now the Hated Bucs come to Busch for three Big-uns which I CAN watch on MLB.tv. Will I watch Cards v Pirates or Carolina v Carolina? A fateful choice in my ever-evolving Life as a Fan.

• Van Thomas Reply

Kennel with only one “I” in a post? Unpossible.

It’s like a data plan with ATT. He gets roll-over “I’s”. He’ll use 26 in his next comment.

• Zoot Reply

Chizik reminds me of Ol’ Sheriff Joe from Maricopa County AZ. He knows the rules, he knows the edge of said rules Provide Adequate Shelter I’ll Put dem boys in tents and Build a 20 foot electrified fence around it and give my guards 3000 rounds of ammunition and require them to fire 500 warning shots a day, Provide Suitable Clothing I’ll make ’em wear pink! You get my drift. Jails and orange jumpsuits are for other Sheriff’s, not Ol’ Joe’s. Damnit he is going to do his my way until the big boys come down here and shackle him and throw him in his own tent. Although no shackles have been put on Ol’ Joe he sure gets his hand smacked alot. There is still a sting of what may have happened or not happened with Cam Newton’s Daddy that has still has other people watching to see how many warning shots Chizik fires before he shoots someone or himself. Not the kind of “Character Guy” you throw in the face of the NCAA in lieu of The Great Unpleasantness v 2.0 or is it 3.0 since self reporting?

Or…. just a career DC who found himself an HFC in a Den o’ SEC Thieves where “it ain’t cheating’ less’n they catch us”. Methinks you MIGHT be giving GC too much credit for being the quintessential Dr Evil. He never rose (descended to) the machiavellian depths of a Saban or a Bowden or a Meyer. Yes, he hired “Trooper” who is indeed Blake on Steroids… and yes GC IS liable for all the Cam Crap ’cause it was on his watch.
        Having never “measured his jib” I can’t/won’t defend him other than he apparently “didn’t know his limitations”. We shall see what we shall see.