“That Damn Dan” Wins National Journalism Award

Dan Kane
    September16/ 2015

Congrats to “That Damn” Dan Kane for this national recognition. ….. “He was subject to violent threats from UNC fans and a variety of multimedia smear campaigns. I wonder if the self-righteous nabobs at the UNC’s J-School have ever discussed this aspect of TGU ???   I’m going out on a limb and betting “not”.

We have met Dan on several occasions and consider him a friend and, yes, he is a frequent reader of this website.

Dan is, of course, NOT the only individual who…. was / is subject to violent threats from UNC fans and a variety of multimedia smear campaigns.   “Mary” still deals with both threats and an on-going smear campaign on almost a daily basis as well as “Jay The Faculty Dissident”.   Several members of The UNC BOT too …. and, of course Holden Thorp and His Family were formally “threatened” requiring armed security at their home for several months. …. Hark Those Sounds!

In several documented cases, the violent threats were NOT from deranged “Walmart fans” but rather from “deranged UNC alumni” including in one case “a lawyer”.

Were “violent threats” part of the Jimmy V Scandal 25+ years ago?  I honestly don’t know.  If anyone does recall such, please fill us in.

Dan Kane Wins Courage In Journalism Award

Dan Kane, an investigative journalist at The News & Observer of Raleigh, N.C. is the 2015 recipient of the McCulloch Courage in Journalism Award.

Kane is being honored for his work in uncovering the academic fraud scandal involving the athletics program at the University of Dan KaneNorth Carolina at Chapel Hill. His reporting exposed a pattern in which athletes were directed to questionable or nonexistent classes. He was subject to violent threats from UNC fans and a variety of multimedia smear campaigns.

Kane will travel to Reno to receive the award in a University of Nevada, Reno campus ceremony at noon on Oct. 12 in the Wells Fargo Auditorium located on the first floor of the Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center. He will also discuss his work at a Center for Advanced Media Studies lecture at 4 p.m. in the Joe Crowley Student Union Theater on the third floor of the building. Both events are free and open to the public.

Kane, 54, has been a staff writer with The News & Observer in Raleigh, N.C. since 1997. He covered city hall, higher education and state government beats before joining the investigations team in 2009. His 2010 series that opened up North Carolina’s personnel law won the Associated Press Managing Editors’ top award for First Amendment reporting and the Joseph L. Brechner Freedom of Information Award. Last year, The Chronicle of Higher Education named him one of the 10 most influential people in higher education for his reporting on the UNC scandal. Kane grew up on a small dairy farm in Upstate New York and is a graduate of St. John Fisher College in Rochester, N.Y. He lives with his wife, Janet, and their son, Jack, in Durham, N.C.

About the Award:

The Frank McCulloch Courage in Journalism Award, established by and named for the distinguished foreign correspondent and newspaper executive who graduated from the Reynolds School in 1941, was first presented in 2011. It was created by McCulloch to honor courageous journalists, who did their work in the face of great risk or pressure.

READ MORE….

Tags: ,
    • Bill Reply

So is Mr. Kane the only competent “reporter” at the N&O? How come he gets a pass when the rag as a whole is not worth using as a fire starter? Would the McClatchy’s set him loose to do some “investigative reporting” on Billy Barber or others of liberal/dem persuasion?

Courageous maybe; sensationalist definitely.

Good points. He (DDK) IS on a very short list of N&O reporters I have any respect for. The overtly partisan hypocrisy of Gang McClatchy does indeed “stink”. That they have not “investigated Billy Barber” is inexcusable. (INCOMING !!! From Kennel on THAT.). Can a blind hypocritical hog find a truffle of a scandal? I guess that is the question.
        The tainted reputation of Dan Kane’s employer IS a factor to consider. The stumbling fumbling reactions of The Flagship over the past five years is likewise “a factor to consider”.

• JovialMuse Reply

“Were “violent threats” part of the Jimmy V Scandal 25+ years ago? I honestly don’t know. If anyone does recall such, please fill us in.”

Here’s an article from back in 2013 with some comments from Peter Golenback, whom I presume needs no formal introduction to most older wuffies:

“What I learned from that was that big money had corrupted college sports entirely,” Golenbock said. “There were two groups of people who listened to the book’s message – the people in power, who did everything to discredit me. I got death threats. The others were the educators who were grateful for what I wrote. … I have no regrets at all. I’m sorry it wasn’t taken more seriously by more people.”

Sound familiar? Each fan base has their crazies, but how quickly some forget that. Congrats to Dan Kane, though, he certainly has taken his fair share of hits from the fringe in my fan base.

THANKS. I figured that had been the case. I’m surprised THE Wolfpack Historian – Bre’r Kennel – did not supply that info !!! OK, not really. Bre’r tends to have a very very selective memory as regards his dearly beloved “God’s Chosen FanBase”. 🙂
        Crazies are indeed universal in both sports (and politics). Nothing that I or DDK or Mary or anyone can do about them. Had there been “the Internet” and social media back in the V Scandal Era I’m sure it would have “bled Red” from Crazy Wuffs On The Warpath.

• porcophile Reply

The sad part of this story is the reference to “the educators who were grateful for what I wrote.” In contrast, the UNC faculty (with only a few honorable exceptions who have been ostracized and ignored) continues to disregard the fact that their institution has been put on probation by its accrediting agency largely because of their failure to exercise control of the athletics program.

Blessed be the oblivious for theirs is the realm of the terminally self-righteous. 🙂

• JovialMuse Reply

Who is to say that Golenback’s reference to grateful “educators” was directed towards the NCSU faculty? And, c’mon, almost certainly it wasn’t directed to their entire faculty. You don’t believe there were a few die hard red ragin’ basketball fan faculty members at NCSU back in their glory days?

My memory of those days is spotty but I know many to whom it is as clear as “today” or they like to think so. I would assume the visceral reactions from the aggrieved would have been similar albeit in a very different techno-communications era.

• porcophile

You’re right. I assumed the “educators” were NCSU faculty, and enough of them to tip the scale a little bit. Maybe he’ll tell us. I’m sure there are enough other differences between NCSU then and UNC-CH now to explain the different outcomes, but certainly the Chapel Hill faculty has been collectively mum.

“mum” !!! I LOVE “mum” as in Queen Mum ??

• Cabcash Reply

Threats to the UNC BOT? Do tell. I thought that august chamber was stocked like a trout pond with Barbara Rosser-Hydes…or Hyde-Rossers , I can never remember which. Tutors and parents of college athletes who share felon-supplied rental cars with PJ Hairston have been threatened too. Jus’ sayin.’

After Babs Rosser-Hyde and her concern for “recruiting”, the BOT DID unanimously support Holden’s decision to fire The Butcher. That show of support did NOT go over well with the “UNC deranged fan” faction. So they responded as deranged humans have down thru history…. by threatening the life / limb of those “in positions of authority”.

• Charlotte Wuffie Reply

Would the Rams Club have any extra seats left for the charter flight to Reno?

If not, maybe they borrow Coach Gott’s helicopter ?? The Gott-Chopper ??

• Niceun Reply

Dan Rather won awards too but it was later found out that he was pretty good at making up stories and sensationalism.

Well, there is that to consider too. Both “Dans” work for media organizations (CBS and McClatchy) who practice “situational ethics” on a daily basis.

• unctarheel1984 Reply

Well bless his heart.

’84, I going to assume YOU were NOT one of the threateners. But you might be “a sympathetic juror” where a threatener ever to stand trial;. 🙂

• DownEast Heel Reply

In reference to Dan Kane’s award, is this one of these every kid gets a trophy deals? Or is this Wolf Kennel’s award? 🙂

NOW That’s Funny! I’m sure if 56WK had thought of it, he would have a special hand-made sweater/trophy concocted for Dan. WK IS a major fan of DDK’s.

• WildatHeart Reply

Coincidence that this award is being given at the University of Nevada whose mascot is the Wolf Pack? I think not.

One of only two I believe.

• WildatHeart Reply

Only difference is they spell theirs with two words. I think it is God’s sense of humor just like him giving me a new pastor who is my favorite of all time who just happened to play QB for Carolina.

Who Dat ??

• WildatHeart

C.J. Stephens. He was a back-up to Durant but started a few games. He co-pastors our church and coaches quarterbacks at Athens Drive (which is where our church meets).

Better not tell UNC’s notorious We Hate God faction.

• SWVA UNCer Reply

Quite frankly, I think he deserves the award. Sorry I’m not the “loyal alumni” I should be. I do love the school for its academic prowess; I just don’t like the underhanded tricks the Rams’ Club and athletic departments has pulled over the years while fighting to be the Texas of the ACC in football, and to top Dook in basketball.

I assume that now we’ll just wait for the “rest of the story”?

Me too. As for our “wait” for TRoTS… could be a while. 🙂

• Wuf Reply

Taliban and Mexican drug cartels….what???? This one went off the rails right off the mark. Not unexpected given the subject matter (ie, Mr. Kane ain’t the most unifying presence betwixt the local fan bases).

But holy cow, I didn’t see it going in THAT direction.

Domestic terrorism hyperbole for the win.

The reference is to other journalists who have received this annual award in past years. see READ MORE.

• Wuf Reply

Reference was understood.

I dunno why, but I’m still always amazed by the human animal’s penchant for black/white categorization of things is all, even when it’s tongue in cheek.

• Wuf Reply

Aaaannndd….a Bruce/Catelyn reference, right on time.

If only I’d waited a few mins, my patience would have been ‘rewarded’.

SURPRISE …. SURPRISE !!! 🙂

Without such Human Foolishness / Knee-jerk Over-reaction I would be writing Warning Labels for shampoo bottles.

• Wuf

😀

• Jimmy Reply

Maybe Dan Kane and Bruce “Katelyn” jenner should hang out(if either have enough to hang)since they’re so “courageous….

Not sure Bruce / “Caitlyn” had received any “violent threats from deranged UNC fans” but maybe he has. As for you questioning “have enough to hang” that comment probably doesn’t do much to upgrade the image of “UNC fans”.
        Damn Dan is not giving himself this award. Given the choice I bet he would prefer NOT to receive the threats… or the award.

Saw this earlier……wondered HOW LONG it would be….before it was a BL Column. You do good work, quickly too (unless you have ADVANCED info).

This WILL spread amongst the bottom feeder of Pack Pride. THEY might come up with a stipend and try to convince the English Dept to award an annual scholarship in Dan’s name…..(let’s hope NOT memory). Had NOT heard the comment about “armed security” for Holden. I thought that being “Armed” in Orange County was illegal….save those Durham county felons out of probation while nursing their wounds from the DPD’s Racial abuse….

Your reference to Charles Kuralt’s immortal rendition brought this thought…..

Hark the sound of Tar Heel voices
      Ringing clear and True
      Cursing Dan Kane’s essays
      Shouting N.C.U.

Hope I did not violate any copyright laws….

Really cool that he got the award. Also just a little more fuel for a fire that seems to be reduced to embers. BUT, you never know….

Seriously, thanks for sharing. Thanks to Dan for his writings…..BUT, if memory does serve me, it was one of the BM’s on PackPride that actually “hacked” the sacred UNC Servers (OK, it was NOT secured and in the public domain) and got that pesky term paper and that rancid transcript.

Sure hope that these vigilantes of Truth, Justice and the NCSU Way are called out in his acceptance speech…..Let’s nope that there is adequate security at the event to keep Dan from being attacked by a covey of Tassel Loafer Clad alumni. THAT could be ugly….

I have no problem recognizing the role of PPride in TGU. It adds to the overall Bizarre-ity of the whole thing. I’m sure Dan doesn’t mind sharing “credit”.

• OldAlphaWolf Reply

Well, I think I have expressed my experience with Dan Kane…Made me doubt and try read carefully anything he wrote. By the timeline you give, his attempt to “expose” the work of the Wolfpack Club in 2003 was early in his start. Everything in his Sunday front page, above the fold, full-page inside article, was subsequently demonstrated to be a single-sourced, un-vetted (is that a word), difference of opinion from a DOI staffer. It should be noted, there was never a subsequent follow-up story. If it sounds that I am still grumpy about it, I am..still have the paper.
          To win the award, you must be nominated…I guess McClatchy nominated him, or maybe a Wuffie somewhere..

Probably not “Dickie”. I can’t speak to the series of circumstances you recall. I don’t pay that close attention to these events.

• porcophile Reply

Giving Kane this award puts the knuckle-walkers who threatened him in a category that includes the Taliban and Mexican drug cartels:
      “Past McCulloch honorees include David Rohde of Reuters, then of the New York Times, who escaped captivity of the Taliban in Afghanistan [and] Adela Navarro Bello, a Tijuana editor whose Zeta newspaper reported aggressively on drug cartels even as several staff members were murdered.”

A bit of hyperbole never hurts. I’m not sure the Internet COWARDS who threaten Dan or Mary or …..; are quite on the level of death-dealing terrorists and drug-thugs… but who am I to say.