Tar Heels Outdraw State and Duke COMBINED!

Kenan Stadium
    September21/ 2015

Circle the date – September 19, 2015. Amid Kenan’s lofty pines, much-maligned UNCCH outdraws both NC State and Duke COMBINED on a Football Saturday

And that was with UNC’s opponent’s – a Big Ten “I” school – traveling fan contingent numbering fewer fans than Duke’s Marching Several Dozen.

OK, this is a trick achievement. This past Saturday was Week One of Dave & Frau’s “Come To State & See The World” Promotion. State played Old Dominion in Norfolk at The Monarch’s 19,818-capacity “historic” Foreman Field @ S.B. Ballard Stadium Complex.   How “cozy” is the S.B. Ballard Sports Complex? We’re told it would fit INSIDE The Hindenberg Hangar.  No, there were no “charging stations” in the locker rooms.ODU Football

This was a clever recruiting ploy to showcase NC State to the talent-laden Tidewater football community. Lawrence Taylor, Ronald Curry, Allan Iverson and “The Vick Brothers” are a few of the area’s notable athlete alumni. Curry being the one who has NOT “done jail time”.

State went all-out to impress by actually wearing its Red & White uniforms. The Monarchs dressed in all-black so the NCAA new rule of “one team must wear all-black” was met.

This coming week Dave & Frau’s globetrotting tour continues as the Pack travels to “LA” ….. Lower Alabama that is – Mobile – to play the Jaguars of South Alabama in Ladd-Peeples Stadium (cap. 40,000).  FYI: Donald Trump drew over 30,000 to Ladd-Peeples on August 20 without wearing all-black.

Since Mobile’s best prospects have only woeful Auburn or Alabama as in-state options, The Pack should bring back a few blue-chippers from this jaunt. This is considered the Philip Rivers’ “home game” as PR’s hometown of Athens is only 349 miles away from Mobile ??

Meanwhile over at The New Wally….. Duke hosted fellow private elite institution Northwestern of the Jim Delany Big Ten/14. Wonder if Northwestern’s basketball coach Chris Collins came “back home” for this one?

Duke JumbotronSaturday’s very few fans turnout disproved the old adage – “Just install a bigger Jumbotron and they will come”.  No, they won’t.

The empty seats @ The New Wally were as numerous as they were during the Ted Roof Era @ The Old Wally. That had to be as troublesome to Coach Cut as his Blue Devils’ lethargic play in a 10-19 defeat.

Nick Saban was not the only coach to see his National Championship hopes dissolve on Saturday.

Meanwhile eight miles down 15-501 “amid those gosh-darned towering pines” Team Larry/Gene ran amuck against “one of the ‘I’ schools” of Delany’s Big Ten/14. Fellow “Sleeping Giant” and fellow “scandal-ridden” Illinois proved no match for the rampaging youngsters in traditional Carolina Blue / White. The game wasn’t as close as the 48-14 final score.

Alas, as was the case o’er in Durham…. the appeal of a undefeated visiting Power Five opponent was not enough to fill the aluminum in fabled Kenan. Assuming “probably over 40,000” (??) were on-hand, that still tops the COMBINED turn-out to see both the Wolfpack and the Blue Devils on this particular Saturday.   On TV, you couldn’t see the 20,000 or so Fat Cats enjoying chicken fingers inside The Blue Zone…. maybe ??  🙂Beth Mowins

Wonder how many TruBlues decided to stay home and watch on ESPN2 and listen to the historic play-by-play from a identified-as-FEMALE announcer – Beth Mowins. You know the notoriously gender-biased Chancellor Chihuahua and Dr Debbie Don’t Do Lunch were both “pleased as punch” to have Beth on-campus. I’ll pay cash money for a group pic of Chihuahua, Debbie, Beth AND Blake Dodge. All four of whom “identify as female”…. I think.

Did Chihuahua sport a special “Welcome Beth” lapel ribbon for the occasion? My invites to the Chancellor’s Box ended when Holden left so I can’t tell you.   I also cannot confirm that Madame Folt had a bidet installed in the press box in honor of Ms Mowins.

NOTE:  Wuffs versus Jaguars will be on ESNPN.  Tar Heels versus Blue Hens will, alas, be relegated to ESPN3 a/k/a “computer TV”.  Ga Tech vs Duke at New Wally will be on ESPN2 a/k/a “real TV”.   Damn You John Skipper (UNC’75).

Elsewhere amid the color and pageantry – you just know that FireNickSaban.com surely popped up somewhere in Greater Tuscaloosa. It’s also a “for sure” that no disgruntled Crimson Tider is calling for Steve Spurrier to replace Nick. OUCH!

SS’s presser after being steamrolled “between the hedges” was basically “We ain’t worth a damn but what the hell, they’re all I got….”. Is it time for Ray Tanner to call The Swoff and see if The ACC would like “Two Carolinas” again?

After going 0-3, Louisville’s “Bad Boy” Bobby Patrino looked / felt like he had fallen off another motorcycle. OUCH!

Former Louisville Coach Charlie Strong had yet another Alamo-moment in Austin. A missed PAT proved that “program turn-around win over Rice” (??) was a tad premature. Regardless, Texas won’t be calling Spurrier either.

Gene Chizik’s old team – Auburn’s War Eagles – made it an 0-2 weekend for Alabama-based Juggernauts. Gus’ Guys got mauled by Mike The Tiger in Baton Rouge. OUCH!

No report whether USC Coach Steve Sarkisian was sober or not, but his Men of Troy got beat by “The Fighting Conifers” of Palo Alto.

Wonder if this is the first time EVER that Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Southern Cal, Duke AND Old Dominion have all lost on the same day?

I guarantee you that if this was Baseball, The Elias Sports Bureau would know in less than 30 seconds.

Speaking of Baseball…. The Cardinals’ streak of 3-game series without being swept stretched to 106 on Sunday amid “the VERY unfriendly confines of Wrigley Field”.

Here’s The Scene: The RedBirds was holding a 4-3 lead in the 8th – no outs and the bases full of Cubs. 40,000 Cub lunatics sensed blood-in-the-water as Cards’ relievers couldn’t find the plate with a GPS. A flyball to medium right…. Jason Heywood takes it on-the-run….. and fires a perfect laser to “Yadi” to nail Anthony Rizzo at home by a step. Trevor then strikes out the next Cub and 40,000 Cub lunatics are thwarted…..

YADI Yadi

BUT:   On the play at the plate, “Yadi” jams his left thumb. OH NO !!! Little-used back-up Tony Cruz dons the tools-of-ignorance for the all-important 9th. Cards still up 4-3.

First Cub gets on. Maddon puts in his designated pinch-runner Quentin Berry – a/k/a the tying run.  Berry was 25-0 in previous steal attempts.  Little-used-backup catcher Tony Cruz hasn’t taken a single warm-up throw. 40,000 Cub lunatics and yours truly all know the Cubs speedster is going to steal second to be in-scoring-position with no outs. Rosenthal delivers…. the runner takes off….

…. and little-used back-up catcher Tony Cruz (with nary a warm-up throw) fires a PERFECT STRIKE to Kolton Wong at the bag and NAILS THE SUMBITCH by a half-step.  Berry is now 25-1 in steal attempts.  …. Ya HOOOO!

The RedBirds had ripped the heart out of the hated Cubs and stomped that sucker flat. Cards WIN 4-3 !!!  McCarver going nuts calling the plays at the plate in the 8th and the throw-out at second in the 9th among Greatest Plays By Any Catcher Ever…. “almost Kennel-esque”.

…. after the game disgruntled Cubs’ manager Joe Madden claimed those two incredible plays were probably illegal but he wasn’t sure how. Cards’ “Manager Mike” responded by actually almost smiling.

Speaking of “streaks” I continued mine of not watching more than ten minutes of any NFL game in pre-season OR during the first two weeks of when-they-count. I did hear that the Cowboys have activated Clint Longley to replace the broken-collarbone (and broken Super Bowl dreams of) Tony Romo.

Patriot###

I told you in a Quirky last week about Ted Bell’s latest Lord Alexander Hawke’s action-thriller Patriot.   I finished it over the weekend.  “Best Alex Hawke yarn YET”.   Imagine a combo of James Bond – Mitch Rapp & Dirk Pitt.  Lord Hawke versus Vlad Putin one-on-one …. the Fate of The World in play…. guess who blinks?

Tags: , ,
    • Slick Willie Reply

I’ve heard it said that we need to have Mexican immigrants because they’ll do jobs Americans won’t do. Maybe we could get them to go to UNC football games.

Maybe.

BL,
      You appear to be a man ahead of his peers. Within the past fortnight, FIVE noted (of at least they feel noted) writers/sites have penned (clicked) articles.
      Joe Ovies – WRAL
      The Daily Tarheel
      WNCN
      Andrew Carter – N&O
      Pro Wolfpack Site where a NATION of FANS will STATE their opinions

That is pretty cool. I will tip my Hatlo hat, which is Red, to you. You were the FIRST to lead the parade of others who just jumped onto your Band Wagon. What is also funny is that Andrew Carter actually called out, in print, the “Fan Inflation” estimate of Saturday’s UNC attendance. Had the REAL number (low 30K’s) been used by the NCAA, the stats on UNC would be worse.
      I am SURE that some of the PP BM’s are scouring the NCAA regs. It MUST be a violation to OVERSTATE attendance….sort of like cheating on your taxes. However, since it is an NFL violation to pump in “Crowd Noise”, there MAY be such a rule.
      Look out….this subject/column is fixing to upset the BL Top Ten….

Actually 5,000+ views has been achieved on several occasions over the years. We appreciate each visitor and repeat visitor. UNC Admins / Fat Cats have been blowing this sort of smoke for well over 25 years. That anyone ever thought otherwise is kind of scary.

INTERESTING ANECDOTE: In the past 24 hours I have received two separate offers of comp Blue Zone tics for this Saturday’s UNC – Delaware game. Both from longtime friends whose company I enjoy. I turned down both offers since the only reason I would go is to “enjoy their company”. They were offering me their tics as they had a conflict. …. “The company of good friends” I do enjoy…. “The Gameday Experience” – not so much anymore.

The Alamo was still standing when I was there last. Remember the Carolina Junction Boys!

Just a rapidly fading by-gone memory…

• Bob Reply

Looks like the daily tar heel reads BobLeesays. Today’s column thanking Evil Dan follows your column by a week. The comments are priceless. Hope shows itself again with the jschool at UNC. Now if the adults in positions of power would learn from their students then maybe UNC can finally put this in the rear view mirror. Thanking Dan Kane is a step it the right direction. Kudos to DTH. Later BobLee

Had not seen that. I’m continually amazed/amused when I see/hear/read an obvious “poach” of something I’ve written. Almost never “credited” but I know and they know. 🙂
        UPDATE: OK, I took the time to read the DTH piece w/ comments. Nearest I can figure “all the usual suspects” threw “all the usual insults at one another”…. as usual. There is comfort in such consistency.

Wow such a serious reply to a tongue and cheek comment. No ABC’er here. I laugh at all of em. Once upon a time I was put in charge of the silly rebranding on of an operating company of our parent company
      in Africa. Globally the M$$$’s spent would fund a small republic for years. The event culminated with a splash launch party attended by local corrupt politicians, ambassadors, the British High Commissioner, and assorted other characters there for the free adult beverages. A couple of days later, a colleague sent out a meaningless memo on “THE OLD STATIONERY’ at which point local and global HR launched into action spending thousands more and further humiliating a valuable employee for trying to save money by using up leftover supplies. All the old stuff was rounded up with Gestapo like precision and burned in the boiler. I am totally familar with such bizarre bureaucratic crap as “argyle” “S” and the right ECU “font” and “pantone” represents. 🙂

Just that yours was the umpteenth time I’ve heard “argyle” in the past week or so. I’m “argyled-out”. 🙂

But the hit count is skyrocketing! :-). PS: If you find out which brand NCSU68 is smoking please let me know so I can switch.

’68 keeps his “sources of inspiration” VERY well-guarded. 🙂

Doug,

Not to be a bit dense….but I don’t quite understand your criticism. I live in a real world. OK, I connect a few dots that others don’t see the connection…..but I do it in a tongue-in-cheek way. My recent post was facts….which are available from the NCAA data.

I also sent your post to Clint, my Navajo buddy in Monument Valley. He shot back….”White man smoke bad weed….no way to translate”.

Feel free to criticize what seems illogical….but if you don’t have the facts or do the research, then…..put down your rocks….

I don’t question the validity of the research at all. If “they” had counted the grains of sand on Emerald Isle, I would assume that figure also valid. I simply DON’T CARE. The battling figure filberts in the Great BackFence Rivalry have been doing this foolishness with each other since Choo Choo and Roman were knee babies. May each generation continue to do so with the earnestness of their predecessors. In the Great Gotcha War, I’m sure points are scored with such. …. You take this stuff somewhat seriously. I don’t.
              I keep waiting for the “Zapruder film” of TA McLendon’s knee NOT touching the ground. It’s been 10+ years. Surely someone can find that. …. and the 28 Tar Heels blocking for Gio on THE Punt Return. Kennel swears it was “over 30” (and they ALL clipped) but I figure no more than 28.

• Doug

Mr. 68, I was being tongue and cheek too. If it didn’t come across that way blame the www or 30+ years of writing dry technical memos as a corporate slave. I do completely enjoy your missives and meant no disrespect.

You’ve made a friend for Life. 🙂

“Compared to percent capacity from the 2014 season, attendance is down 23% at Syracuse, 19% at North Carolina, 7% at Boston College and 6% at Florida State. Attendance is up 5% at State and Duke, 18% at Virginia, 13% at Pitt and 4% at Miami. Everybody else is within a percentage point or two from last year.

State and Clemson lead the conference in percent capacity despite not playing a Power 5 opponent at home”.

The above quotes come from the, relatively speaking, SANER WP Boards. They have an article today called “ACC Aluminum Watch”. Charts of the attendance, comments, stats, etc.

They also commented on the fact that only ONE of the ACC member institutions reports “Rounded” data. I guess that there was not enough money in the Blue Zone upgrades to include ticket scanning for accurate fan attendance.

This WP Site often does have Pro (and admittedly some CON) BL References….but I do not feel it appropriate to post a seemingly competitor’s URL here. The beat will go on…but the Stats (assuming they are correct) are hard to argue with….

Anecdotal evidence (season ticket sales, Groupon,s Living Socials, other “Ticket Campaigns”, as you point out, DOES tend to say that TGU has had an impact on FB Seat Sales. That was ONE of the criteria that a certain AD used to evaluate and include in her “Fire or Keep” decisions. BUT, the AD actually foots the bill for the ALL coaches’ salaries and not the WPC….so Bubba’s vote might not count the same as the Highest Ranking Head Knocker (HRHK) of the Rams Club.

BUT after much research (and NO Noontime Adult Beverages), I have concluded that the ENTIRE TGU is VW’s fault. The amount of toxic air emissions from the VW Diesels, (since 2009) which were bought by the Clean Diesel Greenies in Orange County have contaminated the atmosphere and impacted the thinking of certain people and/or factions. Marvin and others (Players and coaches) have breathed the exhaust fumes of the Passats and the Jetta’s. Does ORW drive such? That could explain your observation that HE and Reality no longer share the same Zip Code. THAT line STILL cracks me up and makes me laugh. That comment gets my Lifetime Achievement Award for BL vote….

I am going to assume that the individuals who manage “Aluminum Watch” do so between “performing brain surgeries”…. “defending serial killers”… “negotiating nuclear test ban treaties”… and “building Saturn rockets”. It’s a wonder they find the time to sleep and eat. For comparison; it normally takes me 30-45 minutes to come up with a column topic and hit “post”.
        For all the raging self-absorbed idiocy coming out of Orange County, “those people” are correct (blind hog / acorn?) when they say “UNC owns a space inside the mind of every hard-core Wolfpacker”. The old version of that being “State fans HATE UNC more than they like themselves”. Playing to that reality provides me with an abundance of low-hanging fruit. FWIW… I usually drop in 3-4 multi-syllabic words per column just to confuse those “Cons”.
        I’m surprised UNC FB is attracting as many(?) on-site spectators as it does. A combo of Extreme TGU Fatigue and LF proving to be “OK” but NOT BE The Next Big Thing in College Coaches. NC State FB (to a lesser degree MBB) has everything in place (re: facilities and circumstances) to distance itself from UNC for the next decade or more. NCSU should OWN in-state recruiting which equates to on-field dominance over in-state rivals. “17 y/o meat-on-the-hoof” only has a 2-3 year memory span.

You are out of compliance. The cover photo is devoid of argyle and has been reported to the proper authorities in charge of lapel ribbons and miscellaneous infractions by your pal Chansky. A fine and/or suspension is inevitable.

Anytime an ABCer mentions “argyle” it is a reminder that “all things UNC” occupies a portion of their conscious thought. Is that healthy? I would recommend moving on beyond such totally irrelevant matters. I view “argyle” as much a BFD as increasing/decreasing the “S” on the side of an NCSU helmet. It’s a one-time story on page six.
        Every program has internal/external marketing consultants constantly suggesting “tweaks” to it’s brand / image. Significant non-traditional uniforms are one thing. “Argyle” is not “significant”…. IMO.

• tarspartan Reply

One of the oft-forgotten bits of Kennedy’s “To the Moon” speech was his joke “Why does Rice play Texas?” Give it another year or two and that won’t be a joke any more.

As for baseball, it’s both thrilling and a shame that the three best teams are all in the NL Central. It means every game counts, but it also means two really good teams face a one-game playoff or elimination before playing lesser competition. I know every sports league has its version of this quandary, and I don’t claim to have a solution except for going back to the Pennant-winners-take-all days of pre-1968 MLB. I’d say there’s too much revenue to be lost by eliminating the early rounds of the playoffs, but does anyone watch the Divisional Series any more?

Oh, and my Braves managed to put together their first 3-win-streak in a long time by beating the even-worse Phillies. I think both teams are playing like it’s 1985 without Dale Murphy or Mike Schmidt.

When a once-proud program finds itself “bereft of on-field talent” it has two options – (1) accept that new status quo as an also-ran, or (2) do “whatever it takes” to bring in top talent. That creates a situation similar to someone in deep financial trouble going to a loan shark for immediate $$$ and getting in way over their head in a usury repayment hole. That “whatever it took” talent taints the program with “other issues” as UNC learned with Blake’s Boys. Cleaning THAT up is a real mess.
        Playoff Formulas tend to overreact to anomaly situations. This year’s NL Central is likely a one-year phenomenon. I do like what the NBA has decided to do which keeps Divisions within Conferences but throws out the Division standings once the playoff qualifiers are decided and seeding the Conference playoffs based on season W-Ls. A year too late of course for Popp’s Spurs. 🙂

• bob Reply

There has been a sighting of the last college commissioner with ” an ounce of integrity “. The PAC 12 will not accept advertising revenue from the gambling sites FanDual or Draft Kings on the PAC 12 network. Maybe all hope is not lost. Later BobLee

I saw that. I’m not a Fantasy League guy so I have no dog in the fight between these new dueling sites. Both are certainly spending MEGA $$$ to get business.

• Arnold69 Reply

Readers from Georgia appreciate the tip of the hat to the late Lewis Grizzard who wrote They Tore Out My Heart and Stomped That Sucker Flat.

Difficult to write my sort of columns without using some of LG’s lines. His “don’t believe I’da told that one” gets used quite a bit. LG would have enjoyed his Dawgs vs SoCarol last Saturday!

• TheCowdog Reply

Ha! Nice try, BL. You can paint Kenan seats any shade of UCLA Blueish ya want.

My Crayola 64 pack says it’s “Cornflower.”

I also suggested some of those NASCAR cardboard drivers placed up on the upper level corners. That didn’t go over too well either. ????

• Old MacDonald Reply

If you ever want to empty out the “indoor” part of the aptly-named “Blue Zone” for attendance-figuring purposes, just have Kennell show up in there to give a speech during the game. Every single person will be outside and in their seat within 5 seconds. Also, someone else noticed: http://wncn.com/2015/09/21/attendance-woes-plague-fedora-heels/

Kennel in The Blue Zone !!! How’s about Chansky in Vaughn Tower ?? Either would have a VERY larger Hoot Factor!

• Dr.Vinnyboombatz Reply

I like your spin on the attendance at Kenan. Did you raid the PR firm’s files or infiltrate one of their meetings to come up with that headline gem? I don’t see how either Illinois or UNC could successfully field a punt through all of the reflection of sunlight off the aluminum last Saturday. In your opinion, were 41,000 people really in Kenan? Or did the Edelman PR firm invent those numbers like they have much of the other “Facts” they have in other aspects of TGU?

“Setting the hook” with that title was easy enough! I DO know my audience. 🙂 …. as for Kenan attendance figuring, that as been open to question for many years. It used to be SID Steve Kirschner and Ticket guy Clint Gwaltney coming up with as high a figure as they felt anyone would “buy”… then adding a few 1,000s just for grins. No idea how they do it now. Probably similar to how Obama Admin figures unemployment numbers. Or Bill Barber’s Hoot & Hate attendances. … Whatever… they didn’t need Edelman for this.
        I was not among however many it was. I do know Wrigley Field was packed this weekend for sure.

• SeaIsland Gambler Reply

The woman (that is a pick-em bet) wearing the pearl necklace used a phony two-octaves deeper than normal but I’m doing the best I can voice. I know all about gender equality and stuff, but she was awful… still thinks a split end is a hair problem and a free safety is a no-fee fanny flutterer in the defensive backfield… Still, this is coastal Georgia and we tolerate the no-see-um bugs in the summer and take what we can get when it comes to Tar Heel Nation in the Fall and Winter.

As for the game’s other broadcaster, a friend of mine around here said the only color he offered was in the Illinois panties he wore for the occasion… stupid is bad; a homer is bad… a stupid homer is worse.

Still, we are maybe a mile from the water… our dog loves early AM jaunts there… and we have wonderful neighbors… we also frequent a breakfast restaurant that knows what ‘scrambled soft’ means… and that ain’t as common as some people think!

I was so thrilled when I realized that ESPN had assigned UNC a she-announcer since I knew I could come up with a 1,000 zingers in 10 minutes. It was just so juicily PC what with Chihuahua and that Blake Dodge gooberette too. I am truly blessed!

• TerriH Reply

You “set the hook” and reeled them in again BL. 🙂

Well yes; BUT… I operate on a “catch & release” policy so no ABCer ever gets hurt. 🙂

• WildatHeart Reply

Always appreciated that 😉

• wolfdon Reply

Not many Duke alum are gonna drive all the way down from N.J. to watch a football game…:)

Howsabout hop in their G550 and fly into RDU? State creating their special Tractor Lot at C-Finley was a stroke of pure genius. I credit Kennel for thinking of that one:-)
        I really thought The New Wally would attract more “expatriates” who have moved to The Triangle and might be looking for a team to follow that is “a easy ticket”. Had to be disappointing to Cutcliffe.

• Babs In Derm Reply

Saturday WAS a hot day in Durham. I was working our tent at Centerfest in Downtown Durham and “about died”. I heard it got up to 90.

Oh come on Babs. Since when is anyone “about dying in Downtown Derm” considered news? …. sorry Babs, I couldn’t resist. 🙂

• wolfdon Reply

In fact, I read somewhere that there were at least 28,000 Fat Cats chowing down on chicken fingers in the Blue Zone…….

Those Blue Zone chicken fingers are quite tasty. Choices of various dips and everything. PLUS… the brownies and choc chip cookies !!!!! 🙂

• MB in Balmer Reply

Given all the empty seats I saw on what looked to be a beautiful day in Chapel Hill I am surprised at the poor attendance in Durham. ???

No answer. The Duke TV guys said “it is the hottest day of the year in Durham” which was pure CRAP. It was 85 and pleasant at both duke and UNC games. Both were playing undefeated Big Ten teams ??? NO EXCUSES. Easy to analyze the TGU Fatigue with UNC fans… but why Duke can’t generate any more area support is a mystery. High scoring offense… nice coach… ????

• Chip Reply

I dunno Boblee. I was at SK Ballard Stadium/Historic Foreman Field Saturday night. There may have been more at ODU than I saw in Chapel Hill on the deuce. Maybe it was “silver-out” day in Kenan. I could see where there would be some confusion in Chapel Hill about 41k. These are the same guys who advertise the 95% graduation rate amongst athletes.

No one in their right mind would trust either a Wuff or a TruBlue on such matters. Both sets of diehard partisans tend to see what they want to see.
        I have suggested on numerous occasions that UNC should paint its oft-discussed “aluminum” Carolina Blue if, for no other reason, that Wuffs have to type Carolina Blue every time they discuss Kenan attendance. To date, my suggestions go unheeded. 🙂

• myowngrandpaw Reply

At one time the Heels did paint their helmets aluminum.

I believe Ken Willard was one of those players.

UNC has only to blame themselves as they push the students to the endzone and allow the fat cats to purchase the seats for prestige instead of presence.

Not in the mid 60s; but maybe earlier and certainly among the 5-6 different helmets of the Butch-Larry eras. It is my understanding that moving the students into the End Zone (“The Tar Pit”) has actually been a success. Ever-decreasing student attendance across the country (even at Alabama) is an on-going issue that no one seems to be solving. UNC’s FatCat-centric marketing efforts have indeed become part of the mythical negative stereotypes surrounding UNC. Stereotypes come to exist for a reason. 🙂

Since, on a RARE occasion, I have never let facts interfere with a good story or parable….I probably should let this pass and not point out this pesky little statistics….

According to the GOHEELS site, the published attendance was 41,000 which is 66% of capacity…..despite running 50% (or less) Groupons and Living Socials. I’m sure you are keenly aware that the Nov 7 ARCH RIVAL Duke game is currently being sold at a 52% discount on the social bargain hunter’s sites.

NCSU’s attendance for both home games to Little Debbie and her cousin, Twinkie, were at 99.95% of the 56K that CF holds and our season ducats were sold out very early.

But the FIghtin’ Fedora’s DID POUND (per GoHeels) the Lofty Illini. I was a bit surprised at the score. The Offensive performance probably added a few more beats to Fedora’s weak pulse since Gene has that light blue pillow on his head.

Factoid for you….there were 6,000 LESS fans in Kennan than were in attendance of the Apr 4, 2005 IL v. UNC BB game at the Ed Jones Palace….we KNOW how that turned out and it was one of the Semi’s…..albeit that IL is just north of St. Louis.

Great Title…..and the ONLY consolation in Alabama this morning is that Auburn done FELL out of the Top 25 and last week’s 12 Position drop after the Jacksonville State’s Fiasco was worse that Nick’s Neoanderthal’s performance on Saturday night. AL only fell 10 slots….so the TIDE crowd is still showing their colors and claiming an in STATE victory.

TOTALLY agree with you about the Vagina Monologs and the Little Women that you discussed. I, too, eagerly await little Miss Folk’s NEXT Lapel Ribbon. I understand that there are Islamic Votive Candles on order for the Vigil for the Prof that is espousing less than AMERICAN views of 911 and there will be weekly meetings of the Social Media Said for ME to be HERE group. Miss Folt may even install an eternal flame to his RIGHT to his OPINION….HMMMM…..did any of these radical run on stage and NOT allow someone who was speaking AGAINST Immigration….so much for Freedom of Speech…it is Freedom of Liberal Speech….thank you for letting me vent….hope some read this far into my tome….

Even the Pollyannas in UNC AthDept are admitting UNC FB “ain’t selling” this season. The OOC schedule is certainly no worse than anyone else’ and the weak turnout for an undefeated Big Ten opponent is indeed “embarrassing” to say the least. Could it be that TGU Fatigue has indeed set in despite ABC shouts that EVERY UNC Alum/fan is in denial?
        TGU Fatique has INDEED set in and it began before this FB season.

Fan fatigue is a factor. However many UNC fans do not have any emotional investment in football whatsoever. It drives both NCSU and ECU fans crazy to the point where many claim UNC in arrogant and ignores them because of some undeserved superiority complex. Hell, UNC IGNORES UNC in football. I used to go the every UNC football game in the 70’s and attendance would be in the 40K range just like today’s attendance averages. Truthfully I was more interested in the parties afterwards. Little has changed really. My UNC graduate brother-in-law, who wouldn’t miss UNC Mens BB playing either Presbyterian or Duke on a Wednesday night in a full blown sleet storm for a 9PM tip-off was completely unaware of UNC’s football game Saturday. He, like many others, is only vaguely aware that it’s football season and that the Heels are probably playing somebody somewhere, maybe. When I told him the score Saturday night it was like telling him that water was wet.

Yadda yadda …. I’ve heard that for years and it IS true to an extent. But Kenan has consistently drawn over 50,000 average during Mack’s peak years and during “spurts” of good teams over the years. Sure, they “wink, wink, nod, giggle” their attendance figures at times using their “We’re The Flagship” privilege. …. Larry’s vaunted “hurry-up offense” has not filled seats. Glad it is not my job to sell UNC FB at this point in time. …. TGU Fatigue ain’t going away soon at all.

• Doug

Even during Mack’s 1-10 campaigns I recall consistent ~48K crowds yet everyone seemed excited about the football future. I’m not sensing that now. Hope I’m wrong and hope it changes soon.

Despite the 110% assurances of EVERY ABCer on the Planet; TGU has indeed dampened the passion of A LOT of Carolina fans. The dingleberries on InsCarol don’t count, nor should they be allowed to vote or to breed. The UNC rank/file is NOT pleased about TGU in general and the stumblebum method in which UNC Admins have mishandled it. They can express that negative opinion by not buying over-priced tickets for glorified exhibition games… or tickets in general. UNC FB can not become competitive without semi-literate “blue-chippers” and recruiting them is very difficult these days. All that said… I was very surprised how easily they defeated Illinois.

• Lakepacker Reply

Just a minor correction to the facts. Us Wuffs have graduated off the computer to ESPNews. No computer for us this week as we head to LA.

Tell Skipper to update his website. No doubt ANOTHER conspiracy with “That Damn” Swoff…

• 58 Wolf Kennel Reply

Darn, Wild got here before I did. Did count 41,000 Aluminum Seats at Kenan, however. Actually it was kinda’ sad. My pastor and his family were there and face-booked his tailgate from inside the back of his minivan. He and his wife were both Carolina undergrads (and wonderful people). He’s the one who interned down in Goldsboro with William Barber after Duke Divinity. The picture also looks like his 6 year old is giving the “finger” which you had to blow up to see it was actually a “fat French fry” which I accused our Carolina pastor of taping to his son’s hand.
      But more about baseball. Glad you are back, but would not brag about the Card’s record for not being swept. As I saw the 8th inning (knowing you were there), the runner should never have been sent with the Cubs down one with the bases loaded and no outs. Furthermore Rizzo on third has got to be the slowest first baseman in history, and it showed!! Still didn’t see how Molina got hurt on that play. Had to be a previous injury. Cards clinch, anyway !!

The Kennelian Worldview is always “unique”. That 106 series streak is the 4th longest in MLB history. I don’t think it includes either your Peapickers or NB bears however. … I suspect Cards first baseman Matt Adams at 260+ lbs even with two good legs is much slower than Rizzo… No, Yadi’s previous injury was to his right hand. … I wonder how many viewers caught McCarver’s “almost Kennelian-esque” comparison??? Friends of Johnny Bench, Bill Dickey and Smokey Burgess were none-too-happy I assume.
        Wild said “41,000 announced fans” per Steve Kirschner infamous close-one-eye and peek-really-quick guesstimate. As noted that does not include the untold 10,000 eeeeevil Fat Cats chowing down on chicken fingers in the Blue Zone. You can blame Duke for not bringing your combined total up to Kenan level.
        Be careful introducing Him Imminence Rev Barber into the discussion. Or I’m liable to say there were “…. at least 80,000 probably more” in Kenan. RWB’s logistics expert Peter Anlyan is a much more generous crowd-guesser than UNC SID “Kirschy”. But I don’t have to tell YOU that. Do I. 🙂

• R C Reply

Smokey Burgess! Wonderful to see my home town hero, childhood idol, and fellow church member mentioned in a BobLee post!

My Forest City fan base has always been loyal. “The little round man” was involved in a key play in that memorable Mazeroski Walk-off Game 7 in 1960. One of the top pinch-hitters in MLB history. 🙂

• MaHa Reply

BL, I tried for about 5 minutes but that’s all I could take of Ms? Mowins, and then I think she did the Yankees and Mets last night. Is this who has replaced Curt Schilling? All is lost. MAHA.

No. The gal that replaced Schilling is Jessica Mendoza. Some sorta famous(?) Girls’ Softball Player…. NOT named Jennie Finch.

• WildatHeart Reply

Well from every angle I saw of Kenan on Saturday it didn’t look like there were as many people as there were in Norfolk. The announced 41,000 in Chapel Hill seemed as honest as the 99% graduation rates 😉

Well, so? Whats your point? …. you couldn’t see the 20,000+ (at least!) Fat Cats munching down on chicken fingers inside the climate-controlled Blue Zone! 🙂

• WildatHeart Reply