Dr Debbie DDL re: UNC’s “Fan Problems”

Debbie Stroman
    September30/ 2015

In her weekly WCHL “Dr Debbie on UNC Sports”….. UNC’s most famous “Doesn’t Do Luncher”Dr Debbie Stroman – discoursed re: UNC fans not showing up in Kenan for Saturday football.

To “be fair” (and Lord knows we want to “be fair”), Dr Debbie does acknowledge that in-stadium attendance is a growing concern all across American (except at The Carter, of course).   Citing all the reasons that everyone always cites, Debbie feels:

The student-athletes work so hard that they “deserve” better fan support.  “If our fans got to know these young men better …..” they might….. spend 100s of dollars to swelter in 90 degree heat or a steady rain to cheer them Kenan Stadiumon.

She does cite “lack of WiFi”…. expensive concessions….  and “overall hassles vs in-home conveniences” as obstacles that are difficult if not impossible to overcome.   She also alludes to “all those well-publicized issues over the past five years” as a factor too.

She noted that Ol’ Roy signed some “highly sought-after recruit” this week as proof that recruits know that UNC Basketball with Roy Williams is still an outstanding choice for their athletic /academic future.   There was no mention of whether Roy “used a helicopter” in his recruiting of this latest youngster.

LINK to Dr Debbie DDL on WCHL …

BobLeeSays:  Dr Debbie does NOT go so far as to “blame fans”.  But some ARE “blaming fans” which I think is STOOPID.   College Football / (Men’s) Basketball is a not-inexpensive entertainment option in America.   Not any different from concerts, movies, fine dining, or resort vacations.

If an individual / family wishes to spend their time / money in that way… it is their choice among many choices.  There is nothing altruistic about Big Time College Sports – it is a Competitive Business Venture – PERIOD.   It will succeed / fail by how well it markets itself in an ever-evolving free-market competition.

• Old MacDonald Reply

I don’t see the problem. UNC got 39,000 there in the rain for the Delaware game. Pretty impressive actually.

Damn straight! 🙂

• Johnny Priest Reply

39,000? Only if you count each eyeball and each ear separately.

I am working on a Grand Plan in which game attendance and recruiting practices at every Power Five school are overseen by an ad hoc committee composed of rabid board monkeys FROM A HATED RIVAL SCHOOL. Of course, I DO love Total Chaos.

• John Reply

I think people are increasingly turned off by the professionalization of college sports (your spectator v. gladiator thing). if you’re into that, the nfl is better… by a lot.

As much as I decry the abject hypocrisy off-field, I do much prefer the entertainment value of The College game itself to The NFL. I literally have not watched an NFL game yet this Fall. I will, of course, in time but it is not a priority for me any longer.

• John Reply

I can understand that. my point is that they’re getting to be the same and less different in many ways… and maybe losing some fans in the process.

I’m not sure about “losing fans” as both’s TV ratings seem stable. I have no interest in attending either version even WITH comps plus a parking pass. The At-The-Game Experience has lost it appeal for me. …. NFL cheerleaders still waaaay out-skank their college sisters.

• Todd Lesley Reply

I don’t bitch at my customers when they don’t choose my product or services. It’s up to me to figure out why they choose other options. I ask myself what can I do better or what did I do wrong if I am losing business. I am not saying she is bitching but I have heard alot of teams…namely pro teams…that have complained about fan support.

I totally agree.