What Dave Doeren said about …..

Doeren
    November30/ 2015

A number of you have been asking me …. What did I think about what Dave Doeren said about: doeren 2
    (I‘m paraphrasing) –

“NC State is a blue-collar school built by real men who stick their hands in the dirt…… blah blah yadda yadda …. (again, not a direct word/word quote)

The implication inferred being NC State has a long tradition of “real men”….. not a bunch of silver-spooned panty waists like they are over yonder at UNC.

Apparently Doeren said that a year ago AFTER the Wolfpack walloped The Fedorians.   I kind of recall it…. but the TV guys on Saturday decided to play it up for whatever reason…. repeating the quotes and showing the text several times in the early going.

So, what did I think about him saying THAT?

About what I would think if Larry Fedora said…. Larry Fedora

“I hear State will be driving their tractors over to Chapel Hill about 3:30.   I hope they clean up any cow pies they drop…..”

In both cases, the head coaches were playing to the lowest common denominator of their own fan bases’ intellect.… AND to the lowest common denominator of the rival fan base’s intellect.   Throwing raw meat to his rabid board monkey faction who will always gobble it up….. Yum Yum Eat’em Up.

In both cases, I betcha – neither Doeren and Fedora – before they formally arrived at NCState / UNC had absolutely no clue about the well-worn trite stereotypes regarding each school.   I guarantee you David Cutcliffe was not aware “all Duke students are Jews from New Jersey”.

Q:  How does a carpetbagger coach -“not from around here” – learn those good ol’ local taunts?

A:  A new coach will quickly develop a relationship with several carry-over staff – usually an SID or booster club guy – who will, over time, bring him up-to-speed on local customs and mores.

If the SID / Booster Club guy believes the they’re all abuncha _____ rival crap then maybe the new coach will be foolish enough to buy into it….. OR simply pretend to while he is at that school.  I believe most opt for the “while in Rome, pretend you are a Roman” theory.  To do otherwise would be foolish.

In Doeren’s case…. (1) learn that little finger thingy and (2) who our 1-2 primary “hate’em” rivals are ….. and (3) WHY we hate’em.    As quickly as possible he starts using that new knowledge at booster meeting and in local interviews. ….. his yokel faction eats it up.

No different for Fedora playing to his yokel faction.

Tell the Great Unwashed want they want to hear….

Sound advice for coaches, politicians and all other forms of smoke-blowing con men.

Does Doeren really “believe it” about the difference between State and Carolina?   Maybe / Probably….. but who cares if he does or not.

Since Doeren and Fedora recruit the same in-state kids, surely he is not insulting the players.

Is he saying “farmers” are simply better people than lawyers, doctors, dentists, accountants, teachers, etc.?  I believe one of our regular commenters here implied just that a month or so ago ???  Seems a bit heavy with the broadbrush for me.

Does he (DD) think all NC State graduates are “dirt farmers”?   If so Coach Doeren needs to sit down with Kennel, Chancy Randy and ’68 for a re-education about STEM schools curriculum.   Even “Earl from JoCo” knows better than that.

If asked, I would suggest all coaches stick to saying strong positives about the school that employs him and its alumni/fans…. which Doeren’s comment does.  That it might have irked rival fans…. is not his problem.   If the situation were reversed I would expect the same reaction from any thin-skinned fans being “irked”.  We live in an era of the “very easily irked”.

If I have to resort to trite negative stereotypes to describe both fan bases…. it would be:

NC State: …. Paranoid to a fault.   Forever whining about “no respect” and getting “short-changed” by ___ and ___ and ____ because _____.

Carolina: …. Arrogant to a fault.   In a perpetual stupor of knee-walking, cross-eyed angry drunk from decades of guzzling Carolina Way rot-gut and believing it was Dom P.

I’m fine with whatever Dave Doeren or any coach says about anything.   I was always fine with whatever Steve Spurrier said about opponents.  I am NOT “easily irked”.

It’s all Show Biz anyhow….

• Ben in MO Reply

Seems like the WWE has set the standard for everything from sports to politics. I find myself having less interest in all those things as I get older. Not sure if it is a reaction to changes or just the normal progression of things. My most viewed screen nowadays is on my Kindle.

I think you’ve zeroed in on the choices. 🙂

• 58 wolf kennel Reply

Another good read while waiting to pick up my youngest Granddaughter at school (raining, so I draw the short straw).
      The media promotion was mostly after the score quickly became 35-7 as an odd reversal of last year.
      Doeren is basically his own man and doesn’t pander to the press. He’s definitrly not Mr. Charisma, which is fine.
      Loved your Paranoia vs Arrogance analogy. That’s the way it had been, but it is changing. Various STEM needs are replacing the need for another lawyer. State’ s Business school is coming along well with a Goodnight touch. Even the Vet College is giving medical research a run for its money.
      Into the future, we have two flagship universities. Now If one would just acting like it :+))
      PS: Love all the coaching speculation discussions re Fedora with no one even mentioning the Sword of Damocles hanging over this coming Spring.

??? The articles I see re: Fedora’s Future DO mention the uncertainty of the NCAA decision. Of course “the Sword” is a factor since NO ONE really knows how it could fall. I am expecting Bubba to announce “The New Deal” any day now. He may be waiting til after Saturday. Maybe Larry is the one “waiting”. A Big Upset W vs Dabo will only up his market value.
        IMO, DD’s public persona matches NCS better than LF’s does UNC. THAT SAID…. NCS’ history leans to quippy guys. Doeren is lots more TO’B or Sheridan than Amato or V. I don’t think LF fits UNC or even much cares “what a UNC fit is” any more. Mack was probably more comfortable on Franklin Street than Larry will ever be.

Neither Coach Doeren nor Coach Ferdora seem to enjoy media interviews. I’m sure BK, some of your readers, or contacts can comment on how they perform during booster events. Usually you get stock answers like “he’s great because he’s our guy” but I know I would really struggle dealing with that faction of a fan base. I went to a local event in the 70’s with both DES and Dick Crum as headliners and both acted like they’d had rather been having emergency root canal surgery than at that event. Smoke blowing up various self-important rear ends has never been my strong suit either. I’ve read something recently that Chip Kelly suffers from booster fatigue from his dealings with the big timers at Oregon and would be reluctant to go back to college coaching for that very reason. BTW I watched live as Joe Alleva announced, through gritted teeth, that Les Miles would remain as the LSU coach. I have no idea what went down but his body language and performance reminded me of a pouting kid who didn’t get his way. Either that or he was imitating a robot.

Comparing NFL versus College… I would rather deal with one maniacal Jerry Jones than an AD… jackass fat cats… idiot board monkeys… AND all the semi-literate 17 y/os.
            Booster club events have to be AWWWWWFUL! Same stoopid questions and same suck-ups who will stab you in the back if you lose 3 in a row…. AAAiiiiEEEEE

• Todd Lesley Reply

When I went to State I had suite mates who came in from class and never had their hands in dirt….but did go elbow deep up a cow’s a**. Wish Doeren had said that versus the dirt comment. That would have hit home with me. My Terminal Paranoia has been treatable for about 30 years thanks to the efforts of Dr. Kryczewski. It has also been known to ease Terminal Arrogance but there is no cure yet to be found.

Both the Paranoia and the Arrogance is, alas, terminal. Those afflicted will carry it to their grave and beyond.

• Alan Pate Reply

This is media bullshit. Doeren never said a damn word about Carolina. He was talking about State. He’s got it right. We are Engineers and Farmers and Landscapers and Industrialists and Furniture Makers. We are no BS. We work hard and if you don’t like what we do, screw you. Kudos to Carolina football. They out-blocked us and out-speeded us. Last year we out-blocked and out-speeded them. Doeren never taunted them like the media and the media-buying tarheels allege. On the other hand, TOB was pretty clear.

I thought it was “weird” that it was given so much play on the telecast. That some easily offended UNCers “took offense” was to be expected. If the roles were reversed and a similar Fedora quote was “promoted” I would expect equally easily offended State fans to be annoyed. There are A LOT of easily offended fans between the two fan bases. As I say…. It’s all show biz.