BLS: ..The College Coaching Carousel and….

Coach Carousel
    December04/ 2015

The College Coaching Carousel and MLB Free Agency going on simultaneously.  That’s “at the same time” for you board monkeys peeking in!   …. some MLB news …. BobLee chats with a Compliance Officer …. and a board monkey posts a vicious sadistic threat.

Is it just me or…. have you noticed too that the first school to know it had a vacancy might be the last school to sign a new HFC – South Coach CarouselCarolina?   So much for “getting a headstart on the field”.   “Why Dat” is a head scratcher….. great fan support and Spurrier proved you CAN win there.  This was Ray Tanner’s first “big hire” as AD so maybe Ray’s closing skills need work ???

Mark Richt going home to The U…. I like this Prodigal Son hire although it woulda been fun to have Yea Olde Butcher coming back amid the pines every two years.   With Larry (and still Gene) now taking “da Heels” to heights The Butcher only promised, the hardcore Franklin Street Friends of Butch Society is reduced to two guys named Moe.

For all those questioning UGA hiring Kirby Smart with no Head Coaching experience…. Mark Richt had “no head coaching experience” when they hired him 15 years ago.  Normally “some CEO experience” should be “a must have” otherwise it is a BIG GAMBLE for all concerned. A short stint as a HFC at a mid-major or anywhere is a BIG advantage.  Ask John Bunting or Will Muschamp or Chuck Amato or Ted Roof.

BREAKING NEWS:

Ruffin McNeill FIRED at ECU  Saban and Belichek “on short list”.

MORE BREAKING NEWS:

UVa Hires BYU’s Mendenhall …. LINK.

Everyone praises Mark Richt’s “strong Christian ideals and all-around fine fellow-ishness”, but, he does have a history of continually recruiting thug-aletes at UGa.  Mark, like his mentor Bobby Bowden, thinks he can “Father Flanagan” every thug-alete….. he can’t.   Look for him to use that same logic with the ‘Canes.  Only Florida and Florida State average more “arrests per year” than Georgia.   LSU is a close 4th in that list.   Odd that Florida, FSU and Miami will now all be competing for the same young guns in South Florida.

FWIW…. I think this was The Butcher’s one/only chance to “come back” unless he would choose some small rogue program somewhere.  He will stay in TV as “didn’t you used to be Butch Davis?”…. along with “didn’t you used to be Mack Brown?”.   If Lou and Lee (Corso) could do that well into their 70s, why not?

Mizzou filled their gig by promoting the DC and thereby saving several “mill”.   I suspect saving $$$$ and most “name” candidates being suspect of all the crap at Mizzou were behind that ho-hum hire.

SoCarol, and Rutgers…. who cares) are the only Power Five gigs still open.    I suppose SoCar “could” throw MEGA bucks at Larry in some OMG surprise move but I really don’t see that at all.   No way.Chizik

….. and I really thought Gene The Wonder Coordinator would go to UCF; otherwise I don’t see a gig for him this go-round.  So he stays “up in the booth looking over the top of his reading glasses” for another year.  Go figger.

As these other Power Five gigs have filled, Larry loses some negotiating leverage with Bubba.

I still see Bubba offering $3M+ plus bumping Gene to $1M and another big bump to the OC too.   As to where’s the $$$$ are coming from…. ????  I bet Mo Koury is very glad he’s no longer UNC’s go-to Fat Cat.

IF Bubba locks up The Dynamic Duo – Larry/Gene – look for UNC to scoop up a bumper crop of 4-5 stars.   There won’t be any NCAA verdict before February Signing Day plus the “negative recruiting” reached its zenith last year without all that much impact.

….. all those very long list of reasons that ABCers hate All Things UNC sooooo much don’t apply to semi-literate 17 yo’s who only see a high-scoring/winning offense PLUS those awesome argygle stripes…. of course.

Before we move on from “amid the pines”….. we haven’t heard much from “Bonnie & Clyde” (Mary & Jay) or “That Damn Dan” Kane recently…. BUT that didn’t stop one of the principals with one of the major UNC monkey boards from issuing a freakin’ on-line Vicious Sadistic Threat against all three several weeks ago. ….. OMG!insanity

Actually “Vicious Threats” are not that uncommon from deranged board monkeys.  You folks think I’m kidding about what sick SOBs these human hairballs are….  Threats against family members of whomever they decide to hate is becoming en vogue around the country now.  It’s a natural progression of the insanity.

No, I’m not going to get more specific.  It would only elevate this specific sicko’s cred with his equally sicko readers.  They know who they are.

Sorta related…. I spent several hours recently with a Compliance Officer at “a major Power Five institution”…. NOT located in “The Triangle”.   That person related stories about “their program” that match / exceed anything oozing out of Chapel Hill.

….. a starting QB that never bothered to pick up his textbooks for a semester…. total indifference and entitlement from most players to going to class or taking tests or anything related to academics …. Crap about tutors doing papers and grades being changed for eligibility is “no big deal” and just accepted as SOP.

The individual thought it was ridiculous but “that’s how it is”.   The PTBs know it and pass down orders to “just do it (go along)…. or we’ll get someone else who will”.  Not unlike being an accountant for the mob.   Don’t Ask – Don’t Tell.

This is not meant to lessen any legitimate concerns about The Myth of The Carolina Way at all; or to use the EDI Excuse (Everybody Does It) but, indeed, Far More “Do It” than Don’t Do It…. and some “do it” to an extent you can’t even imagine.

In MLB…. I will never understand why pitchers command MEGA-deals.   David Price getting $30M/year to pitch every five days ???  I see a Top Ten pitcher – Kershaw, etc – getting Big Bucks if they are truly dominating (and in their prime) but otherwise GM BobLeJason Heywarde would spend my Big $$$$ on everyday players who are consistently around .300 with 25+ dingers and a very good glove…. and “in their prime”.   That said…. I hope my Cards can resign Jason Heyward soon.  He is “a 4.5 tool player”.   “Good not great” power but exceptional glove…. and his future is ahead of him.

With Kershaw and Greinke and MLB’s #1 Payroll (and with Kennel as a fan), the Dodgers still haven’t made it to the WS in this millennium.

Colin Cowherd is picking The Fedorians over The Dabos.   I won’t be shocked if that happens but “even if” I don’t see Fedorians getting into Final Four in any scenario; but finishing in Top Six.

I’m going with Clem – Bama – Okla – MichState.

IF Dabos do stumble versus Fedorians…. I see Bama – Okla – MichSt – Stanford.  With TOSU fans bitching, but so what.

GREAT QUIRKY LINK :  Whatever Happened To Danny Ford ??

So far during the 2015 campaign Clemson hasn’t done any Clemsoning yet. What an ideal opportunity to give us one.

I’m not sure what the actual definition of Clemsoning is… “losing a game you are not suppose to lose’ ??

Urban Dictionary: The act of delivering an inexplicably disappointing performance, usually within the context of a college football season. 120-28 would qualify.?

• jamie Reply

I see you still believe everything that comes out of Miss Mary’s mouth. It’s a shame she brings up protecting her family, was she protecting her family when her and Jay were having those “pull off the road kisses”? Do you stand with your buddy Jay who said “let’s hope for a plane crash” when Provost James Dean was taking a trip to California? Or is that just a little humor between friends?

I believe all these ABCers are gonna be upset when the NCAA finally puts this to bed.

No, Jamie, I don’t believe “everything” that comes out of anyone’s mouth. Jay’s comment about Provost Dean was what it was. A private comment out of frustration that was never intended to be “public”… unlike “Buck” Sanders’ posted comment which was totally intended to appeal to his readers. I suspect even you have said things in private you would not want blasted across the Internet.
        As for how/when all this will end, I’m sure your “inside sources” have informed you. The rest of us, less well-connected, will simply have to wait a while longer. It’s been five years, what’s another six months or so. I assume you are emailing from a VIP Suite at BOA. How’s the weather in Charlotte?

• jamie Reply

It’s a great day in the Queen City, Bob! Who would of thunk it? The flagship playing for the ‘ship this season! The boys may not pull it out but I’m still proud of this group of young men. One thing you and I can agree on is the scenery is outstanding!!

Who would have predicted it 100 days ago? Sorry to see Larry’s OC is leaving for North Texas…. price of success I suppose.

• OldAlphaWolf Reply

Hey BobLee. Been lurking awhile, but as a collector of redundancies could not resist nailing “…. and his future is ahead of him.” And I still love all the bowl games, every one. The ACC Championship game is as tough a ticket as I remember. Even with my vast influence, I was only able to get two for my Tiger son-in-law. My wide screen awaits…

It is THE PERFECT match-up for Swoffy. Two schools two hours drive from BOA. If this one was NOT “a tough ticket” there would never be one. Glad the game is not in Tampa. 🙂

• Chip Reply

UVA just hired BYU’s Bronco Mendenhall as it’s new head coach. Kind of surprising, no?

Yes. Total surprise. Very experienced successful HFC. Makes The ACC Coastal more competitive also a step up from VaTech new guy IMO. Will take awhile to establish recruiting contacts on east coast.

• Chip Reply

I agree that far more P5 schools are probably cheating than not. However, most aren’t bragging about “The Carolina Way”, their athletes’ graduation rates and saying “we do it the right way.

True and that has ALWAYS been UNC problem. Lots claim “Ways” but UNC rubbed it in local rivals’ faces way too much for way too many years.

• Porgie Reply

Maybe The Hat would consider a move to ECTC as he could still play in front of 45,000 every Saturday at home.

Giving Larry another million will NOT solve the “aluminum issue”. Don’t think there IS a solution to that.

• JD Reply

ESPN was discussing Jason Heyward saying he was worth a $300,000,000.00 contract. I just about passed out. Does that mean my Nats will have to pay Bryce Harper $500,000,000.00!!!!

Pretty much. Even talk of Harper getting $500M. Heyward is just hitting his prime at 26 which is different than Pujols or Cabrera at 32. Granted Heyward is not a HR hitter but he has all the other Big League skills and a history of good health… a good locker room guy too.

Coaching Carousel is part of the “Diversion” that is much needed….as well as something to think about other than Jihad Joe and Jane of San Bernardino fame. As to the subject, as you pointed out, Mr. Richt needs to start donating to the Miami PD Benevolent Fund as does ORW and Jimbo. He will definitely improve his recruiting….
      Ruff GONE. Ye Gads. So much for what have you done for me lately? I guess his smaller physique made him less “overpowering” so the meek can fell the giants.
      I really expected you to write an ENTIRE column on the Rutger’s Midnight Massacre – Julie Hermann’s departure. Maybe she told some other female coaches that the Fed Family Leave Act did not apply to HER regime NOR was it included in Title IX verbiage. OR maybe she addressed the teams and told them that “True Love” could be found by looking around at their teammates. Wonder if there is pending legal action coming over some of her more “Progressive” managerial ways? Time will Tell…
      As to the reports of violence and hateful speeches….(burning certain reporters, professors, buildings, whatever) coming from the UNC BM’s…..WOW, talk about UNC being a “Safe Place” for racial comments, sexual advances, etc. I would have thought the Mizzou BLM/WE DEMAND crowd would be all over that and condemn them. OPPS….none of the recipients of “Hateful Speech” was of the PROPER Ethnicity.
      Don’t depend on Roy Cooper or Loretta Lynch (I still have a visual on that one) to prosecute. However, Loretta DID make a statement that the Obama DOJ will “Prosecute to the fullest extent of the law anyone that makes an Anti-Islam (Muslim) statement that COULD (possibly, maybe, etc) be construed as HATEFUL…..regardless of whether it lead to any violence”
      I think that she just figured out how to prosecute several of the 2016 GOP Nominee Hopefuls….now THAT is power….
      From what I read, observed and know (my sources are more credible than the CIA’s sources about sleeper ISIS cells and perps), I doubt that LF and GC leave their “Safety Zone” or the area where no disparaging words are uttered about any light blue clad (or unclad) Athlete. Bubba gonna do like Ms. Yellin and print more of the money….or the Rams Club will launder more….
      I wonder if LF and GC have rolls of $100 bills stuffed in their vegetable crisper in their fridges??
      I am PULLING for UNC tomorrow night….as well as Clemson. I want to see a darkish purplish greasy slime all over the field after the contest. BUT, I hope it is close. Maybe they could plan on a U v. Duke or a Lions v Packers finish….that would make Johnny VERY happy….

Can Swoff engineer an outcome whereby BOTH UNC and Clem qualify for FFour ?? Is Julie Hermann the FIRST Outed Angry Lesbian AD to ever be fired “from a Big Ten School”?

“Whistleblowing is not for the meek. Just last week, Buck Sanders of Inside carolina said that I, along with Jay Smith and the N&O, should be drenched in gasoline and lit on fire in a parking lot.”

Forward this threat to the FBI. They’re not that busy right now are they? If nothing else a visit from some G-Men can produce a desirable effect. Seriously if this threat had been communicated against the “50 Demand Crowd” someone would be in need of some expensive legal counsel and a bail bondsman.

Had not thought about that. Since Mary, Jay nor Dan are black or Muslim it is doubtful anyone in Obama Cartel would much care. They are way too busy tracking down outlaw Nativity scenes and such.
        Strange times we live in… very very strange.

• wolfdon Reply

Straight out of one of the emails we board monkeys have uncovered :
      “Whistleblowing is not for the meek. Just last week, Buck Sanders of Inside carolina said that I, along with Jay Smith and the N&O, should be drenched in gasoline and lit on fire in a parking lot. Nice? It is not the truth telling that ruins lives–it’s the emotional trauma inflicted by those who don’t want to hear the truth. That trauma has been steady and severe. I’ve personally been discredited every which way to Sunday. It has become tiresome; it was always irrelevant.”

Actually that was on Mary’s website which is how I learned about it. This was just the latest “vicious attacks” on Mary, Jay and their families by the InsideCaroina cyber-terrorists. There is no bottom to how low these sickos will go… obviously. … I’ve been asked if any “UNC officials” are behind these attacks? I have no conclusive proof to that. UNC and IC do share a strong negative opinion re: Mary, Jay and Dan for sure… and what they have revealed about The Carolina Way. NOTHING surprises me any more in this mess.

• 90Lobo Reply

“BL,

The life-threatener you refer to is clearly one Buck Sanders who “runs” Inside Carolina…a bona-fide “monkey board” as you would say. Frightening when a “grown man”(Size/age…but not in maturity) wants to see people who have sought/found the truth to be burned alive. You will literally NEVER run out of column fodder.”

~ 90Lobo

I haven’t visited InsideCarolina in many years. I recall a Buck Sanders being involved in the IC website when it was starting up 15 or so years ago, assume he’s still around. I recall him having VERY strong opinions about pretty much everything… and strong opinions about his own opinions. That this is the same guy would be a safe bet.

They’re gonna need a bigger carousel. Ruffin is out at ECU. Strange.

WHOA! I sure didnt see THAT coming! I gotta get up-to-speed before further comments.

Conventional thinking seemed to be he’d have at least another year maybe two. So much for conventional thinking. No clue when the Boneyard Banter Message Board coaching search committee will meet. Probably on the 19th hole at Brook Valley sometime today. Nick Saban has announced he will not be a candidate. ?

Never met Ruff but always heard positive stuff about him… him being a legacy et al. My guess is he got “froggy” with upper level admins over something and “crossed a line”; but thats just a guess. Anytime a “coach of color” gets canned, it will be scrutinized by those who scrutinize such things. … Saban, Belichek, Rockne… all the usual suspects on “the short list” no doubt.

• Lakepacker Reply

It is shocking but you grew up in that area like me and we know the athletic dreams there have always been on a level above reality ever since Stasavich was there.

“Bring Back Ed Emory” ain’t a possibility this time around. Maybe The Butcher would go for THAT one ??? 🙂

Sleeping Giant Syndrome is incurable.

and quite the epidemic apparently.

• Mike

Ruff just didn’t have enough ACC teams on schedule this year. That did him in. What is he 6 – 1 in his run with ACC.

To be fair”…. those ACC Ws came with Lincoln Riley calling the plays. I’m sure ECU PTBs are calling Norman OK first. Riley makes more as OC at OU than Ruff did as HC at ECU. I’m betting there are “personal issues” involved in this one.

• Mike

You would lose that bet. Mostly losing too much money – tickets sales,etc.Awful this year – would have been worse in 2016.

Again… I’m not that close to inner workings “down there”. I thought Pirate fans were #1 in World… other than NC State fans of course. Ruff was a bargain at $400K.

• Robedixon Reply

Have no idea if this is good scoop, but I have heard from two people that Gene the Coordinator actually likes his life in Chapel Hill and might want to hang around awhile. Of course that might be his wife talking and not him and we all know who rules those type decisions. I think he is still getting megabucks from Auburn, so money is not an issue. Maybe waiting on a higher end opening?

$700K (plus a bump) without the BS hassles of a HC ain’t a bad life. I suspect the Auburn’s checks have about run out but he should be OK in the bank. I can see him staying around.