Forget Star Wars… Here Comes UNVERIFIED

UNC Fraud
    December17/ 2015

The rest of The Milky Way Galaxy might be distracted by Star Wars: The Force Awakens – the upcoming new adventures of Luke, Darth, Princess Leia, Han, Chewbacca, etc….

But along scenic Franklin Street all the cinema buzz is for “UNVERIFIED The Documentary” …. re: The Great Unpleasantness.   Opening January 8, in time for this year’s Oscars.

Unverified

Former “learning specialist” Bradley “Cecil B. de” Bethel has become a cult hero of sorts to what is left of The Carolina Way-ites Directorover  in Chapel Hill.   The learning specialist / cult hero / documentarian vows his “tell all” movie – a year in the making – will set the record straight about “The Scheme” a/k/a TGU – The Great Unpleasantness.

I have never met the former learning specialist turned filmmaker.  I haven’t visited his website nor ever conversed with any member of his cult of true blue believers.  Other than his remarks in several WCHL interviews, I have no clue what tact he is taking with his upcoming opus.

I “think” his angle could be:

“Something happened” but it was… just two nice ladies trying to do a good thing.

An Old Well version of Arsenic & Old Lace with Deborah Crowder and Burgess McSwain as the homicidal “Brewster Sisters”- Abby & Martha… and Ol’ Roy as quite nutty brother Teddy running up the stairs yelling CHAAARGE.

Arsenic 2Arsenic in The Old Well … ??

Wanna bet that my friends “That Damn Dan” Kane and Mary The Whistleblower will NOT be portrayed heroically?

Wonder if James Earl Jones’ voice will be used for “Darth” Dan?

Who will play Jennifer The Tutor….. and Uncle Julius ….

Will Rashad McCants play himself…. Will Tiki Girl Amber get a cameo?

Will Dr Debbie Don’t Do Lunch get to wear Princess Leia’s slave girl costume.

and…. Will The Butcher finally learn…. “Who is John Blake”?

I have not (yet) received my VIP comp invite to the premiere so I will be passing on the Blue Carpet extravaganza.  Did you REALLY think it would be a RED Carpet?Cheated

I am going waaaaay out on a limb here and predict…..  Every living member of The Cult of The Carolina Way is going to be “hanging from the rafters” in pure undiluted ecstasy upon leaving the theater.  They will NOT be “Cheated” from seeing / hearing EXACTLY what they want to see and hear.

No word on whether NCAA Poobah Mark Emmert, or The Swoff, has received an invite.

Documentary on UNC Scandal Set to Premiere Jan. 8

— The athletic scandal at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has been headline news for years. But a former academic advisor says the media and the university have gotten the story wrong, and he is making a film about it.Bradley Bethel

Bradley Bethel calls his film “Unverified,” a personal, human story. He became an academic advisor to athletes at UNC-Chapel Hill in 2011, shortly after the scandal broke, and left earlier this year. He says he’s taking on the media, investigators and the university on behalf of his colleagues.

“I saw unverified claims being propagated in the media,” he said. “My narrative is that it wasn’t an athletics-driven scandal.”

He argues the media misrepresented the scandal where UNC used no-show paper classes to help keep athletes eligible. Bethel says he’s most driven to defend fellow academic counselors fired over accusations they knowingly took part in the fraud.

“I hope to show that good people were unfairly blamed,” he said.

For the first time, the documentary includes interviews with counselors Jamie Lee and Beth Bridger. Lee says she was “just trying to help students get through college.”

Bethel says he doesn’t deny there was a scandal but says UNC admitted too many student athletes who needed remedial help.

“Being academically under prepared for UNC is not the same as being illiterate,” he said.

Bethel says he believes easy paper classes graded and guided by administrative assistant Debbie Crowder lacked oversight. He says he’s not a UNC apologist.

“When you see the film, you’ll see I am critical of UNC,” he said, adding that he believes the university skipped over administrators and blamed counselors. “This is a complicated story that requires a lot of nuance, and I don’t think there are just good guys and bad guys.”

“This has never been about protecting banners for me,” Bethel added. “This is about the good people I think who were misrepresented and scapegoated.”

After raising about $175,000 for the film, Bethel is using Kickstarter to get another $16,000 for post production and promotional costs. “Unverified” is set to premier at the Varsity Theater in Chapel Hill on Jan. 8.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/former-academic-advisor-making-film-about-unc-scandal/15161658/#8ePdR26If6Ll8CAR.99

Let me be clear on one aspect of this. If Bethel’s focus is to focus culpability on the administrators who skated out of this mess with their fat pensions in tact – Baddour, Boxill, Nyang’oro etc then I applaud him.
      The tutors, “learning specialists”, and other lower level functionaries were simply dealing with the situation that was shuffled down to them. With Mary Willingham being the only one to “speak up” on the injustices being perpetrated on the players-faux students. Mary’s contention has always been “if we bring these young men on our campus we have a moral obligation to educate them above simply keeping them eligible.”
      As for “blaming Dan Kane” for how South Bldg “stacked arms” and withheld evidence for years, that has always been an indictment on the gullible ignorance of a faction of the UNC fan base that refuses to accept that their Holy Carolina Way was always a quite bogus “religious cult” on the level of the Branch Davidians.
      Making Dan Kane and Mary Willingham the “Villains” in this Inglorious Mess has been as much of an institutional embarrassment as the mechanics of The Scheme itself.

• KenH Reply

Comparing Carolina Way Tru-Believers to a Branch Davidian cult works for me. Count me among the UNC Alums who have always been embarrassed by that Holier Than Thou jackass faction of UNCers. Being a fan and pulling for “our team” to win does not mean being brain-dead blind to the realities of Big Time College Sports. ….. Well said, BL.

• oldwuf vet Reply

Reading Director BB’s quotes, I may see his point. If his point is that this whole mess was orchestrated by coaching staffs with the complicity of the academic leadership and those in his position were just lackeys implementing the program. The lackeys, ie “the rogue counselors, tutors” get the blame and ORW gets a raise.

If BB is finally going to hold Dickie and other admins liable for their roles, I applaud him.

• GWC Reply

Bikini wax and Doug Clark aside , TGU revolved around a two-decades-long academic fraud that UNC athletes and Carolina teams , some banner winners , benefited from . The fact that non-athletes also benefited from same should not enter into NCAA discussions because they have no concern with non-varsity athletes . The NCAA shouldn’t care who took paper courses for intramural football or badminton purposes as they have no jurisdiction and no interest , but they should care if Rashaad McCants “earned” Dean’s List and made his eligibility GPA doing the same . So , Rashaad and other varsity ahletes might have piggy-backed a non-athletics UNC academic fraud ( designed for what non-athletic purpose ?) but is that not loss or lack of administrative control , a biggie with the NCAA ? The logic escapes me and I hope it escapes the NCAA as well . In the future , recruit ’em , educate ’em !

That is Mary’s contention. Do right by the kids that arrive on campus badly in need of basic 3R’s education. Educate’em beyond “keep’em eligible”.

My contention has always been that there was NOT any lack of institutional/administrative control at UNC. In fact it appears that somewhere in the UNC hierarchy there was actually TOTAL control of how the system was run. When things went sideways it appears, at least to me, the leadership chose to scapegoat low level operatives in order to shield its high profile assets. If the big boys were in fact ignorant or didn’t care about what was going on, this is as bad or worse than knowing about it. If BB sticks to the UNC “party line” I suggest the movie title be, Unverified, May The Farce Be With Us.

• easily amused Reply

Maybe Bradley could have reached a larger and more widespread audience and used less funds by printing a little carolina blue book of quotes ala Chairman Mao. Lord knows it could not have been a little red book. It might have been quite the scene to see the true believers running through the streets in their baby blue argyle sweaters chanting from the book, “everyone does it”, “it was two rogues”, “academic not athletic”, “Dan Kane is a News and Observer running dog”, “women’s basketball must be purged”, “time to move forward”, and other $7,000,000 PR spin..

As for Roy running up the stairs yelling “Charge!” I also find that an appropriate characterization in that Teddy conveniently buried the bodies while digging the Panama Canal in the basement. Is Cary Grant the personification of UNC frantically and desperately trying to keep the great unpleasantness undiscovered?

Maybe such a Little Blue Book will be souvenirs at the premiere.

Ah yes,
      The Imaxes will have to have 24×7 showings. This will be come the NEW Rocky Horror flick.

Wonder if the film will make references to Gravity, the FORCE that is always with you (and Bubba and Miss Little Blue Smurfette….after her bikini wax). And naturally, since most of this will deal with stuff that SHOULD have been flushed….as in GONE AWAY….then it is obvious that the DARK SIDE of the Force has prevailed.

Therefore, a new voice is needed….and not some kindly and jovial remake of Charles Kuralt. It needs to have a certain arrogance and sarcasm….which befits HOW this was handled. I am voting for James Tolkan (Commander “Stinger” Jordan – Top Gun). He has the right inflection for this….and quickly dismiss (or DISS) the NaySayers.

I would back off the “mass turnout by the BM’s in RED….it could get HOSTILE”. One bad post and it could be construed as a “terrorist threat” and “WE ARE SAFE” Obama would order in SWAT, Bearcats, and RPG’s….. The recently drummed out officers of the various PD’s that Loretta Lynch is investigating are looking for work and THEY do not take kindly to “demonstrations”.

If you missed Jimmy Fallon’s Star Wars theme parody the other night….then this is worth a click. It is one of the MOST creative…and funny videos that his production crew has done. If you are a SW buff, you will certainly enjoy it and chuckle….

NOW, picture ORW as Jimmy Fallon. Add in Bubba, Holden, Carol, Dickie, Dan, Mary, Butch, Black Santa and the REST of the Motley Crew….it would be hilarious….with a capital H. Maybe some of the Red Clad BM’s that are geeks could use the audio and get some images and make a parody for us…

Dah…da da….Ta Dah (fade to light blue).

You could be George Lucas to Bethel’s Spielberg.

• 90Lobo Reply

A whole ton of us should go to the “premiere” wearing red shirts and LAUGH our tails off at every absurdity!
      That would really change the mood in that theatre!
      ~ 90Lobo

I don’t know if he’s offering Group Rates but you could always ask. 🙂
        I know a VERY passionate Wolfpacker with a bright red van that could seat 10.

• SWVA UNCer Reply

I’d rather sit through an hour of watching Carol Folt paint her fingernails than to listen to this crap, it would be about as exciting. However, I am curious why Jay Bilas, whom I’ve always liked as an announcer, even though he is an ancient Dookie, participated in this charade. Has Bethel bought his new Mercedes yet with leftover cash from this amateurish attempt?

Give’em Hell Granny!!.. Bilas is, I believe, a BIG “Pay The Players” and a “Roy Guy”. Maybe that’s his angle. “Cecil B” probably has the Mr Pibb and juju beads concession rights

I was thinking more a whole body bikini wax job by the Brazilan experts….now that would take a LOT of adult beverages…..

But its an itty bitty body.

I might actually watch Unverified if Doug Clark & The Hot Nuts are in the soundtrack. ?

or The Isley Brothers ?

• ncsu1987 Reply

As you so astutely observe, Mr. Bethel’s “documentary” will be wildly successful within its target demographic. The slavering ABC crowd will wax apoplectic, over-analyzing and chewing every minute detail, feigning “horror” that such a thing even exists. Everybody else will ignore it.

Taking disposable income from gullible marks by telling them exactly what they want to hear is a time-tested tradition. For those who haven’t figured him out yet, Mr. Bethel is nothing more than a self-assured, unusually persistent, and slightly misplaced carny.

Every trainwreck attracts its share of vultures looking to feed on the victims… and profit from the curious rubberneckers.
        Every “learning specialist” is “working on a screenplay”… or The Next Great American Novel.

• unctarheel1984 Reply

I agree. Dan Kane has parlayed that skill into an award-winning career.

To BLS – I am please you self-identify as as an Internet Pundit and Resident Legend. “Journalist” may actually require you talk to Mr. Bradley before passing judgment.

DAMN DAMN DAMN That Dan Kane !!!… Bwahahaha.
          Calling myself “a Journalist” would greatly disappoint my mamma. She passed away proud that I was “playing piano in a whore house”.
          Can we assume you are one of Mr Bradley’s(?) “investors” and have pre-purchased a dozen seats front and center?

• unctarheel1984 Reply

You may not so assume. And I deny the damnable rumor. I may eventually watch if it shows up on YouTube at some point in the future. I’m not sure the point of the exercise as I agree those who watch it are already entrenched in their beliefs and the others don’t care.

I continue to find it interesting that you studiously avoid anything that does not reinforce your existing prejudice.

I’m glad you are continually interested in me. That is the purpose of “all this”. Maybe you and “Dexter” on ECU’s Boneyard need to compare notes.

• Lakepacker Reply

Carolina should have “trademarked” this entire mess and gotten royalties from the books and movie rights. Maybe that would have covered up the “athletic deficit” you mentioned in an earlier column and more. OR, maybe they did and we have all been fooled. Just a thought.

Maybe those royalties would have paid for the Smoothie Machine in the mega-blingy New IPF?

• Frank Linstreet Reply

LOVE the Arsenic Old Lace reference! How many readers will “get it”?

You make ONE more than I figured ever would. It is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for the situation. Frank Capra movies never have been all that popular with board monkeys.

• MattN Reply

You made me google the Tiki Hut girls again. Thanks.

The jiggly version?

• fayettewuf Reply

I think you underestimate your readers. Arsenic and Old Lace is not that obscure. Frank Capra’s stuff is classic stuff. I imagine most would get a Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Mr. Deeds Goes to Town reference too.

I think Bradley should follow up with a documentary on the OJ trial, may call it Not Guilty. The title Unverified has that kind of connotation to it.

“My Readers” might “get it”. But, if this attracts any of Bethel’s Bunch, not likely. …. No one ever does “Just one” Documentary.

• Porcophile Reply

Love the title. Not “Lies!” or even “Untrue” — just “Unverfied.” Reminds me of the Louisiana politician whose campaign slogan was “Never Proven Guilty.”

That could be any number of Louisiana politicians over the years… Huey Long Wannabees.

• DrVinnyboombatz Reply

What can I say? I understand that there are still a handful of people on earth that still believe that our planet is flat, and a somewhat larger handful that believes it is only 6000 years old.

Chapel Hill still questions the moon landing… But thinks professional wrestling is real.