Blondie’s Survival Guide for Winter and….

January07/ 2016

Blondie recently shared her “Winter (and Primaries) Survival Guide” with her legion of followers.  I figured you’ans could benefit too.

On top of the usual challenges to the spirit of a regular winter, this year we have the Iowa and New Hampshire primaries.   It’s not going to be pretty.

I am here to the rescue!   I present some escapes; a few things to help divert and entertain you, just a little, over the next few months of winter.  Especially, if you are lucky enough to get a Snow Day!

Watch.
    Read.
    Cook.
    Sip.

1. Watch all three seasons of “Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries” on Netfilx.

This is the classic murder mystery format but in Melbourne, Australia in the 1920’s.  The star is Miss Phryne Miss Fisher'sFisher (pronounced Fry-knee). The actress who plays Miss Fisher, (Australian Essie Davis), is one of the most compelling woman I have ever seen.  I can not take my eyes off her.     She is helped by the most jaw dropping wardrobe ever seen on TV.

Miss Fisher is very modern. Single, rich, smart, daring, she drives a car, flies a plane, carries a gun and collects people and lovers, while solving every murder in Australia.   (YOWSA… Phryne Fisher is your ultimate “Flapper Fantasy”…. 23 Skiddo and Phryne Fisher too… Hubba Hubba!   This series is sorta like “Murder She Wrote” but Phryne Fisher is waaaay hotter than Jessica Fletcher.)

It is just fun.

If for some weird reason you do not want to watch on Netflix, here are the DVDs to buy.

2. Read the seven book series about John Milton, written by Mark Dawson.The Cleaner

If you like Mitch Rapp and Jack Reacher and any other “Do-Right” rogue spy/assassin, you will love to get into this series.

John Milton is a British spy/assassin who tries to get out of the spy biz but, keeps running into his past. This series also dovetails into another series with a female assassin named Beatrix Rose.   But you will figure that out as you go alone.

NOTE: IMO, John Milton is much more Reacher than Mitch.

If you listen to books or would like to try that, this series is read wonderfully:

First in series. “The Cleaner”.

3. Make something from this cookbook.

I am not a big fan of cookbooks or cooking but this cookbook is a good read.CookBook

In it is a compilation of recipes from the many, many southern cookbooks put together over the years by churches and women’s groups.  I might be making a lot of the Whiskey Punch on page 299…..justsayin…..

4. Sip this tea.

It might be in my head, but, this works!Tea
    It will make you feel better, despite whatever is going on in the news.
    Plus, it’s warm, smells good, has no caffeine.
    You can also pick this up at Whole Foods.

Okay, that’s it. Don’t say I don’t care about you!!
    Let me know what you think!!

I’m jinxed. My 10 yr old DLP HD died Saturday PM in mid-HGTV episode. We opted for a entry level 4K Smart TV model. Got it hooked up two minutes into the National Champ football game. Now I need to figure out smart for dummies and reassess all that streaming crap.

I am sending “Albert” over with a sledge hammer and a blowtorch. He’ll have it purring like a kitten in no time.

• CNR Reply

My girls have followed Miss F beating her detective friend to the solution.
      Molly had a Miss F to do at her school. Kids really got into it. Since, they have a Miss F dress up day a semester.
      Judy, the girls along with Molly and the grandgirls are awaiting another visit…that is if you bring Blondie, kid, and boy. Also Sonny is looking forward to another visit.
      Remember you are the key speaker at my Wake. It seems as though you have been part of my many lives.
      How is Thailand? I read everything. Seems I know ’58, ’78, Doug, CowDog, and so many others. You all are their for the wonderful friends who were such an important part of my life: Marty, Red, Stan Earl from my St Louis days, and Teddy Server from my high school days and forever.
      Thank you BL and thank you fellas.

!!!… Blondie “whooped” when I read her about “a Miss Fisher Dress-up Day at Molly’s School. Blondie and Kid (and Danny) spent most of last week watching Phyrne solve murders. I think Stan Musial, Paul Brown, and Mr Rupp would ALL like Miss Fisher too. You need to get Sonny, Ty and Koy all hooked. …. The World would be a better place if more people watched Miss Fisher, I think.
        I was thinking about Thailand too recently. No clue. He just pops up when he pops up.

1. Everyone is scrambling to cut the cable cord. Well not me, not yet. I’ve recently cancelled Netflix and subscribe to nada other than cable and came real close to going to a basic package until I discovered HGTV was not included and that would have created significant complications with madame. Can’t really explain why I have forever been the contrarian of the family. I might change my mind about this next year or next week. Right now I’m not a fan of having multiple platforms/subscriptions to view a screen.

On 2,3,4, I’m with you. Especially #3. I like and cook most of the meals at home and no one has died from it yet. I clean up the mess too. Thanks mom. ?

I believe we get HGTV in NETFLIX for the $9/mo. Netflix with no commercials is becoming out go-to platform.

• uncleron Reply

On my third John Milton novel since Blondie’s recommendation! Good stuff

Wat til you meet the ex-Massad Assassin. A VERY bad guy. Milton is as close to a Jack Reacher as any character I’ve ever read.
        You and Mamie will REALLY like Miss Fisher Mysteries on NETFLIX. Watch one tonight.