….of Favorite Odd Little Eateries

Danny's Drive-In
    January08/ 2016

A story about any “odd little eatery” is Fightin’ Words.  The very idea that any odd little eatery other than YOUR FAVORITE odd little eatery should be highlighted brings out a tsunami of partisan allegiance to (insert YOUR odd little eatery).  And THAT is exactly how it oughta be…. Danny's Drive-In

Pity the sad soul that does not have his/her very own Favorite Odd Little Eatery… the mere thought of which brings back a flood of nostalgic memories from a simpler time and place.   I’ve never been to North Korea or to “the Middle East” or to Macau.   Do North Koreans have “odd little eateries”?

AgentPierce recently posed the query of “are Muslims ticklish?”…. I don’t know but they (Muslims) probably don’t know much about hot dogs or, I suspect, odd little eateries in general. …. sigh.  Their loss.

I’ve never been to Danny’s Drive-In or ever heard of it before 30 minutes ago…. but this story reminded me of “Shady’s” and “Pharo’s” and “Carlyle’s”.  When I was umpiring Little League Baseball, I would have a Pharo’s “Big Boy” and a Coca Cola each night before walking across the street to Fairfield Park to “go to work”.

Danny’s Drive In in Connecticut is certainly no more “special” than your place.  If this makes you nostalgic for “your place” then it’s achieved it’s purpose.

Great American Bites: Fried hot dogs sizzle at Connecticut drive-in

The scene: Connecticut is hot-dog mad and chock full of roadside stands, trailers and even a wiener-serving boat. Ten of these classics were featured in the fun food documentary A Connecticut Hot Dog Tour, which also noted that the Nutmeg State is the epicenter of a unique regional cuisine, the oil-fried hot dog. This preparation style is especially popular in southern Connecticut, with some spillover into New York and New Jersey, where Great American Bites last visited Rutt’s Hut, another classic fried-dog dispensary.

But the documentary skipped over one of my favorite shacks, Danny’s Drive-In, self-proclaimed to be “Famous Since 1935.” It’s simple, cozy and authentic, with none of the pretension that often accompanies rediscovered classics. Located on a slightly busy commercial road in Stratford, it is very convenient to the Merritt Parkway, a road with limited dining options, as well as to I-95 (but do not trust GPS!). A true shack (it has no bathroom), the small inside area features a tiled eating counter and just four stools, while the outdoor space has a few picnic tables. Neon lights fill the windows, and illuminated menu signs are overhead — like in a pizzeria.

You order at the counter from what is likely to be an exceptionally friendly local high-school student, then wait for your name to be called. Hot dogs and burgers are served wrapped in wax paper, fries and onion rings in cardboard boats, shakes in paper cups, whether for here or for the brisk to-go business. The walls are festooned with magazine and newspaper clippings, old and new — raving about the place. There is a self-serve soda bar, and above that, a somewhat incongruous and recent flat-screen TV, which was playing Field of Dreams the last time I stopped in. Oozing Americana, it’s the kind of frozen-in-time place I love to patronize because they really seem appreciative of the business, whether you’re a regular or first-timer.

GREAT AMERICAN BITES: Deep-fried hot dogs at N.J.’s Rutt’s Hut
    GREAT AMERICAN BITES: Mini-dogs rule in N.Y. Capital Region

Reason to visit: Fried hot dogs, shakes.Hot Dog

The food: The juicy hot dogs are the main attraction. These have all the excellent hallmarks of the deep-fried style: a slightly crunchy casing that is visibly blistered and split by the intense heat. The thin frank, which has a nice snap and resembles the Hebrew National shape, is appreciably spicier and more flavorful than most dogs. Folks unfamiliar with fried dogs often expect something more dramatic — maybe dripping grease or the frank version of chicken-fried steak — but it is just an excellent way to cook hot dogs (and if no one told you, you might never know it was fried).

READ MORE FUN STUFF ….. LINK .

MORE Quirky News HERE …. LINK .

##

• Bill Reply

If/when you make it to The Big Easy again, if you haven’t done so before, you gotta check out a Bud’s Broiler. Though known for their burgers, if you love hot dogs, get their’s. I think it is No. 6 on the menu. They split 2 all beef dogs in half, grill them to perfection and serve them up on a warmed on the grill hamburger bun garnished with chili, cheese and onions. You won’t even have to cross the HPL to get to one, assuming you stay on the east side of the Mighty Mississip.

Full disclosure: I’ve long had a soft spot for Buds because my dad used to take me to the original location when I was a pre-teenager–before McDonalds. Mr. Bud and my dad were good friends and their places of business were just a few blocks apart. Though Mr. Bud passed over to the next life some time ago, his little business has flourished and continues strong in this area with several locations, though the first is no longer. The franchise operations that continue the tradition have a genuine 50s look, smell and feel. Most are about that age.

I also patronize a barber shop that opened in the 40s, only got a color TV within the last year and charges just $14 for a haircut or shave. The shave is with a straight razor, hot towel and warm lather.

Brings a smile to my face just thinking of such places.

I LOVE “bring a smile” places…. 🙂
        From my limited exposure to NOLA I suspect there are 100s of “odd little eateries” all over town. James Lee Burke’s Dave Robiceaux and Cletus are always meeting in one.

• Bill Reply

You’re right, as usual. Cheers!

• Queen City Reply

B’s BBQ whenever it is open or if they have any food left when you arrive. I’m pretty sure they do not offer free wi-fi. given the fact they still have not installed a phone.

“Favorite BBQ places” tend to lean towards the more “primitive”. Ones that advertises Free WiFi probably microwaves their hushpuppies.

Any joint with a 98.5% sanitation rating ain’t a real joint. ?

Any joint with “any rating” gets their BBQ from Food Lion.

• Doug

Touché.

• 58 Wolf Kennel Reply

BL, love quirky eating places (probably too much). Took my wife to lunch yesterday at BBQ Pit on 55. Sat where you, John Shelton Reed, and I had lunch last Spring to responsibility resolve the Great Unpleasantness (we have failed to date).
      She had BBQ turkey. I had Wilber’s pork rival. Both good, but mac and cheese still the most unique.
      Don’t let all your creativity burn out in too many venues :>))
      Or to add another one, how about a column on the $2B Connect NC bond issue to be voted on 15 March. It’s the first truly enthusiastic bipartisan thing that has happened in NC for the past 4 years. Agent Pierce might even agree we could get together on something good. !!!!

I’m seeing JSR next week. Will convey your regards. No danger of diluting my creativity. Getting “stuck in NCS v UNC crap” is a far more deadly affliction.
        Not so sure about “BK says its bipartisan…”. Kennelian definitions never cease to cause me to “blink”.
        You should watch Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries on Netflix. It takes place in The Roaring 20s in Melbourne. I thought I saw you in a crowd scene. 🙂

• CPR Reply

My girls have followed Miss F beating her detective friend to the solution.
          Molly had a Miss F to do at her school. Kids really got into it. Since, they have a Miss F dress up day a semester.
          Judy, the girls along with Molly and the grandgirls are awaiting another visit…that is if you bring Blondie, kid, and boy. Also Sonny is looking forward to another visit.
          Remember you are the key speaker at my Wake. It seems as though you have been part of my many lives.
          How is Thailand? I read everything. Seems I know ’58, ’78, Doug, CowDog, and so many others. You all are their for the wonderful friends who were such an important part of my life: Marty, Red, Stan Earl from my St Louis days, and Teddy Server from my high school days and forever.
          Thank you BL and thank you fellas.

Coach, I’m going to repost this on the Miss Fisher column. Blondie “whooped” when I read her about “a Miss Fisher Dress-Up Day” at Molly’s school. Blondie and Kid spent most of The Holidays watching Phyrne solve murders. If more people watched “Miss Fisher” the world would be a better place FOR SURE. … I bet Stan Musial and Paul Brown and Mr Rupp would like Miss Fisher too. 🙂

• CPR

To many people sewer sand toilet mouths are a pain. We don’t have many options. When we get a good one we spread the word. The Legion of Decency has been put out of business. Many are called, few are chosen.