Yesterday’s “Big News”… Really?

News
    January20/ 2016

Big NewsI have four / five national sports websites I check throughout the day for BREAKING NEWS i.e. to see if Ronda Rousey (or Joe Biden) has found the cure for cancer yet.   As of Wed AM….. no, not yet.

Those sites are USAToday Sports, FoxSports, ESPN, something called Yardbarker, and another something called SportsOnEarth (SOE).   Other than SOE, their “top stories” are, more often than not, exactly the same and could all be written by the same fourteen dyslexic chimps with mail-order journalism degrees from Univ of Phoenix.

For sure the target markets for all these sites, except for SOE, are the same….. yep, those not-so-lovable goggle-eyed, spittle-spewing board monkeys all across The Fruited Plain.   The “suits” responsible for these sites determined two decades ago that “chumming for board monkeys” is the best way to generate “clicks”.   I’m not saying they are wrong in that strategy. I use The Tiki Girls at least twice a year.Jim Murray

Wherever Legendary Sportswriters go (is there a Toots Shor’s in Heaven?) I suspect Jim Murray, Grantland Rice, Shirley Povich and Furman Bisher shake their heads in despair.

Yesterday all the teams of dyslexic chimps with laptops were in sync – they all agreed – on what were THE Top Sports Stories of The Day.

•    Charles Barkley “Hates” Skip Bayless
    •   A Seahawks Fan In Seattle Complained about Cam Newton

Not necessarily in a #1, #2 order.  It seemed a dead heat for THE TOP Story.  To be fair, had the aforementioned Ronda Rousey espoused on whether she, Ronda, thinks Iran has nukes yet that might have leapfrogged both Sir Charles and the latest Cam-hater.

If Charles and Cam had not sucked all the oxygen out of the newsroom…. #3 woulda been – Coach K Fails To Shake Every ‘Cuse Players Hand… K-Haters DEMAND His Execution! … sure is a lot of “hatin’ going on.  Huh?

I have to be careful here.  In the mixed-up, shook-up perspective of America’s Oft-Unwashed Mouth-breathers, ANY story that runs contrary to their POV gets the “Why is That News” reader comment.   I understand why Charles Hates Skip and Another Fan Hates Cam are above-the-scroll down National News.   But excuse me while I weep along with those ink-stained legends in the celestial Toot Shor’s.

Caulton, feel free to join me.  I bet Dick Herbert and AJ Carr would too.

Charles said he HATES Skip because Skip gives his opinion on stuff he is not a recognized expert Skip Baylessabout.   A lot of 24/7 ESPN-ites supposedly “hate Skip” because Skip has perfected an on-air persona that is designed to “really piss-off” people who are very easily pissed-off… one guess who “those people” are!  Yep.  You win a banana.

Skip Bayless’ over-the-top on-air persona combined with Stephen A Smith’s equally over-the-top on-air persona make their First Take “Embrace Debate” Show ESPN’s #1 daytime offering.   Ergo, a lot of Skip / Stephen A-haters tune in religiously to “hate’em”.

In Stephen A’s case, a lot of his haters hate him because he comes across as an “uppity you-know-what” who uses poly-syllabic words in his diatribes.  Both Stephen A and Skip makes several mill/per to be ESPN’s primo bombastic lightning rods.

Charles admits he also opines on stuff he knows little/nothing about but that’s OK because he always says “In my opinion”.   Skip doesn’t add that qualifying pre-fix before every comment.

If ESPN Honcho John Skipper (UNC’75) renamed First Take to “Skip & Stephen A Give Their Provocative Opinions About ……”  I suppose Charles would be OK with that.

Charles Barkley has, of course, also perfected his on-air persona to be provocative to a fare-thee-well.   I hope that Charles and Skip worked out this tete a tete in advance to “make news”.  If not…. check off yet another Nostradamus End of Days Sign.

It’s 2016.   More people than you want to believe can name at least two if not all 5-6 Kardashians, so Charles Barkley “making news” hating Skip Bayless sorta makes sense.

Meanwhile over at FoxSports, the only Sports Talk show I ever intentionally watch (maybe once/week for maybe an hour) – The Herd – has figured out that having Kristine Leahy on split-screen while Colin Cowherd is pontificating is effective in holding their audience.   I coulda told’em that two months ago.   Remove Colin’s “made-for radio” face altogether would help too.  Kristine’s lip gloss allowance alone has to be in the mid four figures…. and worth every penny.

Kristine Leahy

If anyone could ever make a young BobLee forget Phyllis George sitting between Brett Musberger and Irv Cross on NFL Today back in the 70s, it is Kristine Leahy.  Phyllis’ interview with Roger Staubach about Joe Namath’s sex life is still an All Time Classic.  I wonder if Phyllis is still dating Charles Loudermilk?

Meanwhile way out yonder in Seattle, a disconsolate Seahawk fan took issue with whatever the peripatetic “Cam” – has he achieved one name icon status? – did to a 12th man flag.  Said fan sent “an open letter” to somewhere saying “Cam” was “classless” to do such a thing.

Commissioner Goodell has not formed a blue-ribbon ad hoc committee to investigate this YET but it’s been less than a day.

Add this disconsolate Seahawk fan to (1) “a woman in East Tennessee” who complained about “Cam’s” end zone dancing…. and (2) those two LTTEs to the financially-reeling Charlotte Observer complaining about “Cam” fathering a child out-of-wedlock.

By my count that makes either five or six OUTRAGED Americans who have expressed their dislike of “stuff that Cam does”.  That 5-6 is more of a mandate than George Pataki or Mike Huckabee could ever muster, but still comes up short of “registering on the Richter Scale” EXCEPT in the Wacky World of Internet Sports News.

If it gets to double figures, will Michelle Obama declare a #WeLoveCam hashtag campaign?

I would “get it” if an enraged Cam-hater physically attacked him or some such OMG incident but LTTEs and “open letters” …. REALLY?  That’s News ???

Skip Bayless gets more Hate Tweets by 8 AM Bristol Time each day than there are hard-core Cam-haters on the planet…. and that doesn’t count the Hate Tweets that his “uppity you-know-what” partner gets each day.

Sure, I get it that 5-6 “Cam-haters” supposedly PROVES that “a certain ideological faction” still has issues with an AfAm NFL QB.   Bull Connor, Orval Faubus and James Earl Ray would all probably dislike “Cam” if they were still around to do so…. or so a certain media faction ilk would like us to believe.   Vote for Hillary and all the Cam-Haters will be sent to GitMo….

Wanna bet that if “Cam’s” team beats Arizona at least one more Cam-Hater will emerge bringing the grand total to at least eight and prompting a Congressional Sub-Committee.

I said last week that while the recently late David Bowie was a music icon…. I cannot name a single song he wrote, sang, was famous for…. which is a testament to my encyclopedic lack of music knowledge, not Mr Bowie’s talent.

A year or so ago, on a Saturday morning, I stumbled into a documentary about the Eagles on one of those cable channels.  I became glued to watching the full four hours.  I’m glad I did.  I learned A LOT.

Prior to watching I did not associate the Eagles with any song…. putting them with Chicago, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplein, and Jefferson Airplane in my “aren’t they all some kind of rock groups?” pantheon.  Then I watched that documentary.

I pretty much recognized EVERY song “they did”.   Who Knew?   I recalled all those iconic songs from the 70-90s but had no idea who sang them.  The Eagles sang them!

I knew Simon & Garfunkel did Bridge Over Troubled Waters and The Statler Brothers did Class of 57 Had Its Dreams…. and “The Singing Rage” Miss Patti Page sang “How Much Is That Doggie In The Window” or was that Rosemary Clooney?  I am Albert-esque when it comes to music.  My loss for sure.

Earlier this week Glenn Frey died.   I’m glad I saw that documentary last year.  I’m glad that I know more about the Eagles (Not The Eagles).

I’ve often thought being Mike Love (a Beach Boy) would be a nice life if one had to be a music superstar.   Memorize 8-10 songs and sing those 8-10 Golden Oldies to adoring fans in a 1,000 sold-out concerts for 40 years.

Being Glenn Frey and waking up each morning in The Hotel California to a Tequila Sunrise thru Lyin’ Eyes must have given him a Peaceful Easy Feeling too.

Glenn Frey

RIP “Desperado” Glenn  Frey.

Like This Kinda Stuff? ….. Go Here For More of it.

CLICK HERE

• Bill Reply

Somebody has to do it, so I guess it falls to me this time. Rain on the parade, that is.
      When the Eagles first appeared on the R&R scene, I also enjoyed what they offered. However, IMHO, their stuff was so overplayed that it wasn’t long before the enjoyment turned into annoyance and now mostly produces just boredom. At the risk of enraging some folks, I submit that most of their stuff is best suited for elevators.
      That said, though, I gladly admit that there is one Glenn Frey song of which I never tire. Released during his post-Eagles solo career, Smuggler’s Blues still sounds fresh and engaging to this day.

Is “Elevator Music” a bad thing? Mantovanni Lives! … My appreciation for the “nuances” of music is surpassed only by my lack of knowledge of wine. If I’ve heard of a song and know at least one line, I consider it a Golden Oldie. I do know all four names of The Beatles and saw both them and Elvis on Ed Sullivan’s Show. 🙂

• Bill Reply

Good point. Guess it depends on the elevator, the music being played and the other folks in the car. Still, I’d hate to get stuck in an elevator and have to listen to 3 hours of Hotel California.

Howsabout Ray Stevens “Ahab The Arab” for those three hours? 🙂

• Alan Reply

I’m wasn’t much of a Bowie follower either, but listen to ‘Tis a Pity She Was a Whore in his last album. The demo and album versions are different, but both mesmerizing. Also a perfect title.

Survey says more BLS readers thought better of Glenn Frey than David Bowie. Count me in the Eagles camp too. I was not a musician but was more of an Soul R&B fan than a Rock Music guy.

Meanwhile back in the pre-integration mid-60’s while many of us Grainger kids were going about our lives, unbeknownst to most of us there was a music revolution going on over at Adkins HS and other AFAM high schools all over eastern, NC. Eastern North Carolina is the birthplace of Funk. Musicians from Kinston, Wilson, Rocky Mount, Goldsboro, La Grange -The Garden Spot- made up a high percentage of James Brown’s band. Kinston’s Maceo Parker, sax player, was a key member of the band and continues to tour world-wide today. His brother Melvin was JB’s drummer. Nat Jones, band director at Adkins became JB’s music and band director. Levi Rasbury and Dick Knight, also Kinstonians were in the band. Who knew?

Currently an exhibit is running at the NC Museum of History in Raleigh through the end of February called Hey America! Eastern North Carolina and the Birth of Funk. There is a photo I took on my birthday back in 1985 of James Brown & Maceo Parker playing a show in Greenville that’s in the exhibit. I just happened to be a guy with a camera in the crowd and took it. The opening act that night was some unknown comedian named Jay Leno. Here’s the link with more info and the photo:

Now THIS is weird. Last week when I was being prepped for my cornea surgery, a nurse asked where I was “from”. I said Raleigh but also mentioned Kinston. She immediately asked if I knew Maceo Parker ?? I had NEVER HEARD OF Maceo Parker. She proceeded to give me a Wikipedia lecture on him. …. Now you send this. …. Very Cool!

Maceo still lives in K-town about 3 blocks from where my parents lived.

I am doing a test with “my Kinston people” to see if I was the only one who was not aware of him. Granted, I’m not a “music guy” but that I’ve NEVER heard of him, then hear about him twice in one week is ….. WEIRD!

• Doug

Twice in a week is weird. Maceo was born in 1943. I didn’t become aware of him until 1968. Separate schools back then meant, at least to me, there was limited contact if any between GHS Red Devils and AHS Pirates. I often wonder if integration had occurred 10-15 years earlier would things be better off today. I suppose there can be a fine line between changing too early or waiting until it’s too late.

Two parallel universes for sure. There has to be a future BLS column in there somewhere. My Kinston Baby Boomer Poll has found Three out of 20 who have heard of Maceo.

• H L Reply

Doug, I often tell music fans of all my concert days. One of my unbelievable ones is the night I saw James Brown in rare form in Minnesota on the campus of ECU. They are shocked that Jay Leno opened for him. My response, we all have small beginnings….James was the kindest I’m told when it came to helping others up the ladder. I remember it like it happened last week, and James was truly talented. His band was a Superb compliment to his showmanship. One of my favorite performances was when he performed on David Letterman in 1981 or 82. He was electric! Now I can say someone else remembered a concert that special indeed…

• oldwuf vet Reply

I didn’t get to see the Eagles until 1994(and again at same concert as NCSU68Grad). I got a hold of the Greatest Hits album in the mid-seventies, then Hotel California for a penny from Columbia House. From there I filled in the older albums and every one made since. The lyrics roll easily from memory, along with chord changes, bass lines and drum patterns. There have been very few evenings over the past 40 years when I’m sitting around piddling with my guitar that I don’t attempt an Eagles song. I’ve never been the ga-ga fan type over anything/body. I can tolerate artistic personalities for about 30 minutes at a stretch; so I know my admiration for most performers ends with an appreciation of their talent and body of work. This one hit me hard. I think this death took someone that just happened to drop in my life at the right point in adolescence. I had to go for a drive, me and some of Glenn’s older songs. Shed a few tears. I don’t know that they were for Glenn; maybe for something else I lost Monday… Seems awfully silly but real nonetheless

• oldwuf vet Reply

Also, History of the Eagles is on Netflix.

Not silly at all. Their songs were the sound track of your life. 🙂

Dittos on Glenn Frey. Went to to Eagles concerts and had floor seats. Wandered around after the show and ended up backstage where they were headed to their “motorcade”. Had leased 5 or 6 white Prevost conversions and had 5 or 6 matching tractor trailers. Best guess, there was about $16 Million in rolling stock in the Greensboro Coliseum loading dock area. All were purring and genny’s were whining.

Concerts were a world from nowhere. They sang and sang and did not cut short and were on time….unlike Madonna. Really great experience.

There is no situation if like that cannot be answered or dealt with from an Eagle’s lyric or Top Gun dialogue…..everything is covered. While recovering from prostate surgery, I had to walk the halls of Rex many times per day. Seemed like I would never escape and the line from Hotel California came out and I cried. I still get teary eyed when I hear it.

Have stood on the corner in Winslow, AZ and had our picture made next to the flat bed Ford (with a manequin inside). You can hear every Eagle’s tune in the three souvenir shops on the other three corners.

Speaking of Mike Love….he is way past his prime. Have seen the Beach Boys in concert three times. First one had a sub for Bryan Wilson….Glen Campbell. Mike love spent 30 minutes talking in the last concert about how many times they had sung “California Girls” and why it was a DRAG….not really entertaining…..but he can still sing. Frankie Vallie NOW lip sync’s his songs….BUMMER.

God rest your soul, Glenn…..the R&R band is getting bigger and more diversified every day.

• TheCowdog Reply

Eagles fly.

OK. So I ‘ve had close personal experiences with Barkley and Bayless, both. What on earth is their “T.V.” personna?

It’s how they “act” on-camera just like any actor when they are “on”. If you saw Charles at a Jimmy V event that is the same as being on-camera. Are they as exaggerated in their personalities both on anf off-scree? Very few performers are. The actor Bruce Dern made his living playing despicable “villains’ (He killed John Wayne in “Cowboys”) but was a “really nice guy” otherwise. … I have also known provocative on-screen performers, most all of whom were much more low-key off-stage.

• TheCowdog Reply

BL. With both parties, what you see on the screen is what you get far, far away from it.

Charles is Charles, and Bayless is, and always has been, an asshat…Looong before he graced the tube.

Charles might suggest that you add – “in my opinion”. I’ve been around Charles (and found him “a boorish bully”) but have never been around Skip Bayless.

• Lakepacker Reply

While fans of many schools may disagree on issues with our teams, most of us agree that the music world lost a true icon in Glenn Frey. I have seen many Eagles concerts and every one of them was 3 hours getting lost in another world. We have seen too many of the legends leave us in the past few weeks, but it is the inevitable. The most recent tour was “The History of the Eagles” which I saw in 2014 and it was a special way to end his career. I also saw the documentary and it was 4 hours well spent.

I expect that Eagles documentary is available on YouTube or similar archives for those who missed it. It traces all the evolutions of the group over 40 years. All you ever wanted to know about the Eagles.

• BC-in-PV Reply

BL, enjoyed the Glenn Frey piece. Like you, I watched that comprehensive piece on the Eagles on TV.

…. They are my favorite music group. I went to one of their concerts, held in Jacksonville a few years ago. They were worth the price of admission!

….Take care. Can’t wait to read your piece on who just endorsed Trump!

I wished I could have seen them in concert. That documentary is MUST SEE TV.
        Mamma Grizzly & The Donald …. YIKES!