That’s Why I Love Baseball !!!

Seth Maness
    March28/ 2017

Originally Posted August 2015

Here’s the scene….  It’s 12:45 AM ET…. Blondie long gone to bed…. Just me and my non-buffering Apple.tv watching the Cardinals vs The DiamondBacks on MLB.tv from Chase Field in Phoenix. The charging Pirates have already won so Cards MUST win to maintain breathing room in NL Central…. Cards have NEVER swept a series vs DBacks in Phoenix.  NEVER EVER….

8th Inning:  Cards up 5-3 on HRs by back-up catcher Tony Cruz (giving “Yadi” a much-deserved one-game rest) and by newly-acquired journeyman Brendon Moss. Moss was acquired a month ago to add power to an injury- depleted bench but has “struggled” at the plate….. (actually he HAS SUXed with ba well below Mendoza Line.)

So Cruz and Moss have “gone yard” and with but 6 outs to go ….. looking good w/ “The Birds” up by 2. Mathey brings in middle-reliever submariner Steve Cishek to hold’em in the 8th with Trevor The Closer waiting in the 9th.

Cishek (who had only walked one batter in his last 71/3 innings) throws sixteen pitches…. twelve of which aren’t even close. Walk – Walk – Walk !!

suddenly Bases Loaded with D-backs. No Outs.   Single ties the game or worse. Calamity looming as Manager Mike walks to the mound, takes the ball from the shell-shocked distraught Cishek…. and signals for:<a rel=Seth Maness” width=”172″ height=”125″ />

#61 – Seth Maness – the 26 y/o “crafty little right-hander” from Southern Pines’ Pinecrest HS via East Carolina.  A true “Moochie”.

Have I mentioned that due up is “the heart of the D-backs batting order” their 4-5-6 hitters?

Oh Me, Oh My…. I’m thinking it’s a good thing Blondie or her mom Nancy aren’t watching this.  Neither Blondie nor Nancy handle “Cardinals in a nail-biter” situations very well.

I don’t know what young Seth said to his manager as he took the ball in this most dire of predicaments. I figure it was along the lines of…..

“Don’t worry Skipper. I got this.”

Seth Maness is NOT a fireballing flame-thrower. He is a sinkerballer who induces groundballs.

First Dback.… five pitches and a swinging 3rd strike – One Out ……
    Next DBack …. five pitches with #5 a sinker at the knees – Two Outs ….
    Third DBack ….. still bases loaded and a base hit away from Doom. Four pitches and a weak grounder to first baseman Reynolds w/ Seth covering first – THREE OUTS. OMG!!

Cards’ bench erupts / Cards’ announcers going NUTZ…. SETH! SETH! SETH!

Trevor The Closer comes in in 9th and saves his 41st of season.
    CARDS WIN ….. CARDS WIN ….. CARDS WIN ….. Take THAT Pirates!

Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,
    The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
    And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
    And there IS joy in St Louis / Southern Pines / Greenville ‘cause their Seth Maness’ shut’em out…..

Seth Maness …. “Living The Dream”

And THAT is why I Love Baseball.

Maness Saves Cards LINK

baseball

• F. Styers Reply

Saw it too! He was called Houdini! I sit right behind home plate in Greenville and saw each game and watched his 4 year adventure in CUSA and in Greenville as a PIRATE. What a class kid! I have the ML package and keep it on every night and really don’t start paying attention till around the 6th inning as usually Manager Mike doesn’t use him till the 7th or later in any case I almost went to bed that night as I figured he was resting him. Glad I stayed up!

By the way I can’t be to bad of a person with cousins named Piaski from Kinston!

John, Phil and Mamma taught Latin, I think.
        SETH SETH SETH …. “Living The Dream”. I believe he’s been “up” 2+ years now. Certainly not “a rookie”. A very specialized job… go in the 7th inning and “get’em out”. Thankfully not every situation is as DIRE as that one was. He’s gonna to get a lot of TV time the next 30 days when “every pitch matters”. He earns his $520,000/year.

• F. Styers Reply

Right. Her name was Iris my mothers’ sister!

YES…. Iris Piaski. Good Ol’ Grainger High! I lost touch with Phil / John. Neither were Reunion-kinda guys.

• F. Styers

John is a CPA in Raleigh and Loves the TGU as a Wolfpecker, and Phil is card carrying liberal from UNC and lives in a trailer!

Oh My! One out of two. I hope Iris was pleased with both.

• paintcan Reply

Seth Maness has been doing this all year. Good neighbor is not being treated well by the medical gods of late is Cards fan.Forever. The emergence of ECU product as a standout with St Louis has iced the cake for him this year.
      Seth probably doesn’t know it but he is doing more than saving the Cards bacon this year. Yes,he is.

Seth seems like a fine young man who is indeed “living the dream”. A peculiar job – come in and pitch “one inning” pretty much every night.

Always good to see locals doing well and for local legends like BK to acknowledge the accomplishments. Bk maybe interested that both of my sons are friends with Andre Brown from his Greenville Rose days. Sad to say the series of injuries has taken a toll on AB. They both say he is a solid citizen. My youngest son was given AB’s size 13 double wide prom shoes because they were the only ones big enough for him to wear. Says they were a little tight. ?

Legends know legends…. ?

• 58wolfkennel Reply

“BL, Same here except it was late last night with White Sox retooling their team with Carlos Rodon on mound pitching shut-out on my Android, one pitch at a time :>))
      Ultimately goes six giving up 2 runs and winning 4-2. During August in his last 4 starts he has a 1.67 ERA. So go Carlos ! my two block away Holly Springs neighbor.
      Even Trea Turner now playing second base for Nationals with them winning last night. (Heard that Carlos and Trea are only two team players drafted in top 15 who ever made it to the Bigs in their first full year.) Go Pack !! Go Baseball !! Go Dodgers, White Sox, and Nationals !!!”

Not surprised to hear from you BK…. or that it would be a WOLFPACK PRIDE comment. But I figured there would either be a “the time I laid down a perfect suicide squeeze on Warren Spahn”; or maybe “When Abner Doubleday and I figured 60’6″ would be the distance from Mound to Plate”. 🙂