BL: Shake It Off: Life In Post-TGU World

Cheerleaders
    October14/ 2017

Shake It Off: Life In A Post-TGU World

TGU – UNCCH’s The Great Unpleasantness… Duh!

Long before there was Taylor Swift… there were the Jesse W. Grainger High School cheerleaders. …Back in the day, when it wasn’t going our way and Red Devil dawbers were down… the cheerleaders did “Shake It Off”.

Betty Lou and Teena and Sue and Janice and Deborah and Dottie and Linda et al would lock their hands behind their heads… shaking their hips once to the left and once to the right.

Fans would go bezzzzerk, pre-adolescent boys eyes would bug-out and Very Scary English Teacher Ruby Crane would have a case of the vapors.  The Grainger High Red Devils would usually SHAKE IT OFF.

All of you with down dawbers after InJustice Prevailed… Shake It Off.

It might help if you had a visual of 17 y/o Betty Lou and Teena and Sue and Deborah and Dottie and Janice and…

So do I simply close the TGU File and get on with other issues du jour? Or… do the inhabitants of this Planet still need to vent, emote and otherwise expunge 8+ years of roiling boiling on an emotional Tilt-a-Whirl?

There is no shortage of “fish to fry” in our constant search for The Pent-ultimate Example of Human How-Comes.  There are The Still Kneeling Kaepernickers… October Baseball… Angry Jemele Of Arc… The Lonely World of Roger Goodell… Why did Linda have to die on Blue Bloods?… My latest favorite authors… et al.

Alas… We did not spend those 8+ years roiling & boiling to simply shrug our collective shoulders with a “so, whats for dinner” nonchalance. Nay, in the after shock of The NCAA DID WHAT?; there are new avenues to explore and innumerable “now whats” to peer down. So… lets.

It’s no secret that the vast majority of you are very un-pleased with what did not happen. But, you are NOT all ABCers (Anybody But Carolina). There ARE a sizable crowd of disenchanted, if not totally disillusioned, UNCCH alums and fans addicted to this website.

Few if any rabid UNC Board Monkeys visit however… proving once and forever There IS A God. I am convinced it is my frequent use of polysyllabic words that discourage them from visiting. Whatever… I intend to keep doing it.

There ARE some Blue Zoners /Lower Levelers who lurk here. They never think I’m talking about “them” when I am, of course, “talking about them”. It’s a Vulcan mind trick they do.

The basic mantra of a Lower Leveler is “I just KNOW Dean would never do anything wrong…”

When countered with “How do you know that?”… they look quizzedly and reply “… I just KNOW.”

FYI:  That is also how Madelyn Albright dealt with Bill Clinton & Monica.  “I just KNOW he didn’t do IT.”

These are respected(?) city fathers… sons of city fathers… corporate moguls… doctors… lawyers… trustees… members of exclusive clubs… guys who live in “gated enclaves”… longtime Rams Clubbers with single digit member #s. … men who would trade their granddaughters into an African Warlord’s harem for another BANNER.

“… I just KNOW.” Ooookay.

NOTE: It’s no coincidence that in Hollywood that convoluted line of reasoning is called Harvey Weinstein-itis Harvey is a really great guy. Yo Harv, can my daughter intern with you… please? … OUCH!

I e-chatted with ThatDamnDan yesterday. I used the Little Hamchunk analogy to describe yesterday’s announcement

In The Green Berets /1968, Colonel Kirby (John Wayne) has to tell the little Viet Namese orphan – Hamchunk (Craig Jue) – that his “Peter-San” had been killed on a mission… Green Berets

Kirby/Wayne: “… you always knew it could happen.”

Hamchunk/Jue: “But… I didn’t want it to.”

DDan has never seen the movie but thought the analogy seemed apt.

Moving right along…

Regardless of your collegiate loyalty, I DARE YOU to play this game with yourself…

If you are an ABCer… If this Not Illegal Eligibility Scam had taken place “at your school” in exactly the same fashion as it evolved at UNCCH… how would you feel about it?

Don’t kid yourselves… it could. All it takes is a pair of overly-passionate zealots with a cultish devotion to a messianic leader… and access to the right class files. Put the scheme in place… let it play out a few semesters with the desired results.  Those who could stop it simply “go ostrich” and first thing you know “No mo eligibility issues”.

18-20 years later those zealots are long gone. The current admins go Sgt Schultz and VOILA…

The rank&file TruBlues, WalMarters and otherwise, never knew or cared to know. Just “more Kool-Aid please… and keep hanging those banners Coach.”

IF… THAT happened at Your School ???

Maybe 6% of you would be righteously outraged and demand it be corrected ASAP. I expect to hear from that entire 6%.

The other 94% are CERTAIN it could NEVER happen at your school. I will hear from some of that 94% too.

To you handful of TruBlues reading this…

If this exact same Not Illegal Eligibility Scam had been perpetrated at Duke, NCSU, Kentucky, etc. how would YOU react to their circumstance?

Would you laugh and say: “Well, by golly…

“… they sure pulled a fast one on all of us for 20 years didn’t they. Gotta give’em credit for originality… Oh well, what’s for dinner..?”

Sure you would… ????

OK Folks.  Its time to Gird Your Loins for Life After TGU.

More of BobLee -Link

AgentPierce’s Latest  – LINK

Blondie’s Latest  – LINK

• Jay Reply
      1 year ago

BLee, I just got around to reading this column. I believe most college sports fans would admit that this could happen at most any Div 1 school. That it happened isn’t surprising, although the scope and duration and to a certain extent the school where it occurred was. What concerns most of us is what happened next. UNC never really owned it. Two years of denial, then admittance with no self imposed penalty, then $14 extra large spent to defend banners and trophies that are now tainted. In the process the school’s image is a mess, the concept of the student athlete has taken a severe hit and the NCAA is now the sheriff that left town. What I see is great loss for NCAA sports and no gain (arguably more loss) for UNC. It’s maddening and breaks my heart. What was UNC’s President and Board thinking?
      Most folks I talk to would rather have their school own it, provide total disclosure, turn in the trophies won with otherwise ineligible players, and set a high standard for recovery. Instead, we all took a hit here. I pray for NCAA reform led by University Presidents, and soon.

1 year ago

Your concerns and points are shared by many, including MANY UNC alums. I attribute UNC’s initial reaction and subsequent strategy throughout to their bone-deep devotion to DEAN and his Holier Than Thou memory. It borders on cult-like and extends back to alums from the 50s.
        ANY admission of skullduggery whatsoever always had to involve DEAN. Since he was omniscient and the supreme micro-manager that “he didn’t know” was never an option. That “he knew and condoned it” was likewise simply NOT POSSIBLE. He was purer than the driven snow. PERIOD. Ergo “it” never existed despite obviously IT DID.
        I realize this sounds bizarre but “The Cult of DEAN” is BIZARRE.

• RMDownEast Reply
      1 year ago

True story- At a N.C. public university about 8-10 years ago 2 athletes in a non revenue sport got lazy during the season and paid a friend (10 each) to write a 2 page paper for them. One paper each, that is the extent of the academic impropriety. One athlete had loose lips and was telling someone what he did and an athletic department person overheard the conversation. The university investigated and determined that since the friend who for pay wrote the paper was a part time tuition for another sport, that constituted academic fraud.

The two athletes were given 0 on the papers but both still passed the class.

The university self reported the offense to the NCAA and since the university self reported the NCAA went easy and only reprimanded the university. Meanwhile the 2 athletes were declared immediate ineligible for 24 months.

Two athletes who passed a class on their own merit lost 2 seasons of eligibility and the university was reprimanded.

Having said that, I fully expected the NCAA to do what they did. Much like I fully expected FBI Director Comey to give Hillary a pass. Now had a low level administrative assistant had top secret emails on her iPad she would be pressing license plates.

1 year ago

The NCAA is consistent in its inconsistency… and universally disrespected.

• BOG Guy Reply
      1 year ago

The things I could write……but will decline. Should we encourage all of our institutions to set up a similar program at their schools, as long as it is open to all students? If not, why not??!! I think not, but it’s hard to deny that this might be a “fair” response to recent events.

1 year ago

I think if you could get your BOG peers to at least say “naughty naughty” at UNCCH that might help a little bit.
        I’ll never forget Tom Ross wanting to make Dickie Baddour Grand AD over all 17 campuses … YIKES!!!

• JD Reply
      1 year ago

If Kentucky or Indiana or Syracuse or anyone else got caught doing this, and received no punishment, I would be mad that UNC didn’t do the same thing. That is really what all the other teams fans are mad about, they didn’t think of it first. I just want to watch these guys play basketball not diagnose me with an illness when I am sick. I don’t care if any of them go to class I want them to go to practice. If they want to take phony classes and get meaningless degrees (like every art history major) that is their life to live. What classes they go to or don’t go to affects my life in no way. Next time I need Swahili translated I will not ask Marvin Austin. Let the free market decide Carolina’s fate not the corrupt NCAA.

1 year ago

Well, there you have it. 99.9% of American sports fans have no interest whatsoever in (1) the academic proficiency of college athletes… or (2) how many NFL cheerleaders are virgins. But rather (1) are ours better than yours and… (2) are they “hot”?
        Doing away completely with academic eligibility is the equivalent of “legalizing marijuana”… it’s no longer a crime so no one is punished for it or has to hide doing it. … All in favor say “AYE”.
        Pay each FB / MBB player $50,000/year and he can use it for a college education or for whatever he wants. Works for me!

• JD Reply
          1 year ago

Truth! 99.99% of all fans care about the final score not SAT scores.

1 year ago

I’m not sure “ALL” but certainly “the final score” effects attitudes towards assorted other elements. If a sports program “goes rogue” in various aspects such as “thug-aletes” they darn well better WIN.

• wolfdon Reply
        1 year ago

You cannot speak for other fans or schools only your self and your school. Interesting comment in that regard but not a complete surprise , long live the Carolina Way.

1 year ago

You are exactly right Mr Barnes. I claim no proxies.

• wolfdon Reply
            1 year ago

Bob my comment was aimed at the original poster not you.

Oops.. I thought it was unlike you but I stay on alert. Good to know. 🙂

• UNCBlue Reply
      1 year ago

Dottie was my Jr. High French teacher! Ooo La La!

1 year ago

Didn’t she teach at Parrott Academy for many years… just recently retired?

• UNCBlue Reply
          1 year ago

Yes on APA. Retired no so sure. She was sweet, pretty, nice and made french fun for a class of 14-year-olds.

1 year ago

… and 1964 GHS Homecoming Queen.

• thailand

And Nancy’s sister? 🙂

1 year ago

INDEED! I shoulda known what would bring you back! How you doing buddy?

• UNCBlue
              1 year ago

My first memory of a GHS Homecoming Queen was Ann S. daughter of the famous Ktown clothier. All of our childhood was spent dreaming of playing as a Red Devil and being like Leo H. Dashed in 1972!

1 year ago

I “think” Ann S is living in Central Virginia,,, no other details.

• CPR
              1 year ago

What a relief to hear from Thailand. I worry about him after having two acquaintances visit Bangkok and disappear. Serpentine, the book, gave me a clue as it was during those tears. Please T-land, do not stay away from BL Says so long.

1 year ago

I read Serpentine by Thomas Thompson back in the early 80s while living in Manzanillo Mexico. One the most terrifying books I’ve ever read. But I had forgotten the title.

• CPR
              1 year ago

“Terrifying!” Succinct, precise, and apt. You be the word master.

1 year ago

I had forgotten the title and the author but remember the cold shivers reading about the sociopathic genius Charles Sobraj as he crisscrossed Europe and the Far East evading law officials, escaping from prisons and killing as he pleased.

• Colonel Batguano Reply
      1 year ago

BL: You are familiar with State’s self-imposed gutting of the basketball program in the 1990s in response to our “issues” that took place the late 80s? That was State’s actual reaction to something (not *nearly* as big) happening “at your school” if that school was State. We don’t have to speculate about it.

1 year ago

Excellent point. NCSU also acted quickly and decisively on the Queen Mary Easley Scandal of 4-5 years ago involving the ouster of BOT Chairman and Chancellor and Provost.

• Dr. Vinnyboombatz Reply
          1 year ago

Agree this is true about NC State doing the right things about their scandals.
          What I don’t understand is why they don’t get Dick Vitale to spout on the air how ,” NC State does things the right way”. On multiple occasions over the years he trumpeted the Dean’s myth (Carolina Way) lie on basketball broadcasts.

1 year ago

I saw an article after the NCAA verdict came down where DV was SHOCKED that UNC skated. He also had a public statement after the Pitino “firing” that he was SHOCKED about that too. Of course NOTHING about how he / DV has been the public face about how WONDERFUL Big Time College BB has been the past 20 years. All his PTP crap was a big factor in creating this recruiting /eligibility monster.
            The NCSU issue with the kid being ineligible and NCSU history relative to UNC behavior is not really of national interest. A BFD around this area but small potatoes nationally.
            At this point DV is a babbling old fool… a caricature that he created and should have retired 10 years ago.

• wolfdon
              1 year ago

True dat to all the above comments!

• ncsu1987 Reply
      1 year ago

Well, here we are. We “spoke” a few days ago about our expectations, and seemed to be pretty well aligned. We sure had it pinned, huh?
      I can truly say that it never occurred to me that the response would be nothing. Oh, I know all about the pain and suffering this whole dadgum affair has caused, so many problems with recruiting, especially in basketball. Poor things haven’t gotten close to the Final Four since this started in 2010… 😉
      As we discussed last week, I expected the NCAA to offer some token sanction, something to give the appearance of still being in control, still having some relevance in this fetid little sewer. I expected a declaration of “lack of institutional control”, a strong rebuke, and (at the limit of my expectations) a one-year post season ban. I never thought banners were in play. It honestly never occurred to me that the entire affair, with all the twists and turns, with all the massive effort (and expense) would boil down to “well, sh*t, we’re seriously afraid of y’alls lawyers, so bless your heart and have a nice day.”
      I will differ from others in that I believe this kind of thing can happen almost anywhere, including my alma mater. What I don’t believe is that it could happen anywhere at this scale, and for this long.
      UNC’s strategy of defense was masterful: admit fraud to SACS, refuse to admit anything to NCAA, point out the (woefully under-represented) “other” students in the fraudulent classes, broadcast extreme confidence, bluster privately about post-decision lawsuits, then rely on the NCAA’s special kind of stupid to look at all of this evidence, and conclude that hand-wringing is the best result. It was in the COI’s purview to accept the SACS document as proof of fraud (in the absence of UNC’s admission) and it willfully chose to ignore this.
      I think your free advice for NCSU is actually very, very good. There is a faction of our fanbase that does obsess on all things UNC. But don’t mistake interest in justice and the insistence on calling out bullish*t as necessarily correlated with obsession. There’s nothing wrong with pointing out cheating, lying and obfuscation, especially when it is used for ill-gotten gains. You do this in this space. You friend Agent Pierce does this in the political theater. Why? Because you see stupidity, or something that offends your sense of “rightness” and you are compelled to speak. That doesn’t make either of you obsessed. It makes you human.
      Enough. Moving on…

1 year ago

I agree on all points… as no doubt MANY are/will. I thought “a banner and a fine” was more likely than any penalties to current teams… but NOTHING was never an option in my mind. Silly me.
        To the point about “obsessed with them”… as you know, THAT paranoia predates this mess by 40-50 years, even predates “the V Mess”. To be fair it is common anywhere there are large STEM vs LibArts schools – “Frat Boys vs Farm Boys” to simplify it. Texas – Michigan – Kansas are other quick examples. The extra element in NC is the geographic proximity of the two schools in the same Metro area. … The school with the J-School, Law School, Med School has influential “advantages”. I had hoped the revamping of the BOG might help but that appears to be as UNC-centric as ever despite a few more non-UNCers on the Board. …Not even a “censure” from the BOG.
        As to “this” criminal endeavor happening for as long as it did at any other school … attribute that to Dean & His On-Going Legacy. Roy is just Dean-Lite so the Dean Way is in it’s 5th decade.
        That UNC had THREE very influential College Sports mover-shakers as character references didn’t hurt … Swofford, Delany and ESPN’s Skipper. The deck was “stacked” from the Get-Go.

• Frank.Linstreet Reply
      1 year ago

“….. longtime Rams Clubbers with single digit member #s. … men who would trade their granddaughters into an African Warlord’s harem for another BANNER.” …. YOWSA!
      BL, you have penned many a memorable line over the years and, hopefully, many many more in years tocome… but ain’t NONE OF’EM gonna be any better than that one. As you might say … OUCH! 🙂

1 year ago

I am but a humble vessel for a Greater Muse.
        It is a good’un isn’t it? 🙂

1 year ago

Jay Bilas has been consistent about TGU for a long time.Some recent examples from his Twitter posts:

“What happened at UNC was awful. But, NCAA rules intentionally leave academic issues to the schools.”

“NCAA’s COI relied on UNC to characterize Wainstein Report? Nah. NCAA did not charge academic fraud. Why not? Rules don’t allow it.”

So the institution is awful and has nothing at all to be proud of by dodging the NCAA bullet. Fodder is ongoing and there are other potential bullets to keep the South Building occupied. As it turns out the NCAA is/was not the correct institution to adjudicate this. The NCAA is better suited at tracking pizza and travel violations.

1 year ago

Here’s a What If to ponder… Since Bubba (and Bilas) freely admit “purposeful evil was indeed done for many a year” but we (UNC) are justifiably claiming a bastardized form of “diplomatic immunity” /”statute of limitations” BS and you can’t indict us … SO THERE…
        SUPPOSE a year or so ago… UNC had voluntarily given up the 2005 Banner because “our conscience can’t rest unless we make amends…”. Would THAT have mattered to anyone anywhere? OK… NOTHING but a self-imposed DEATH PENALTY would ever satisfy a pathetic faction of toxic rival lunatics… but would Mr/Mrs Sports Fan America accepted that as “fair”? … Huh?

• Dr. Vinnyboombatz Reply

Winners and Losers in TGU
          1) Bob Lee: because this gave him plenty of column fodder for many years.
          2)UNC Legal Team: because they got their guilty as hell client off from NCAA sanctions a la Johnny Cochran.
          Losers–1)ABCers: because UNC skated NCAA sanctions.
          2) NCAA enforcement: because it’s ineptitude was exposed.
          (If they were going to let UNC walk, why did this last so long?)
          3) UNC academics: No explanation necessary.
          4) Any collegiate athletic programs that hold their athletes accountable for academics: again no explanation needed.
          5) COI panel: because the inept NCAA enforcement tied their hands so they could not effectively do their job.
          6) Individual UNC athletes that actually desire a real education.
          7. NC taxpayers (Does anyone really believe this defense of UNC academic fraud really did not come from any state funds either directly or indirectly?)
          8) The reputation of UNC in both athletics and academics in regards to integrity.

1 year ago

I’m ALWAYS going to win. I have all the Fatal Flaws of The Human Race in my favor.
            IMO… NCAA tried to find a way around their limited jurisdiction but there was No Way around it. I do NOT think UNC was Too Big to take down or had too much “muscle” via Skipper et al.
            I do NOT think UNC cleverly set up the scam 20 years ago knowing how it would beat the system if caught. They ain’t THAT smart. They never imagined getting caught… and didn’t for 20 FREAKIN’ years.
            The NCAA is much more of “a joke” and toothless than anyone can imagine … but nothing will be done about that. Having a toothless overseer has a lot of advantages to NCAA member institutions.

• Doug
              1 year ago

Agree 100%. As unlikely as it possibly seems, I do hope a group of fat cat RamClub’ers start making noises publicly and demand UNC to pursue civil damages against the NCAA. $18M plus damages to help the poor souls get their trust fund dollars back. Fodder trebled and at least 10 more years of hoots.

1 year ago

But But But they need to spend that lawyer $$$ on Larry’s Indoor Bling Palace. At least the first $36,000,000 of it.

• Doug
              1 year ago

Well there we go. $10 million out of total of $40 million was donated to Carolina Athletics today. By one family.

I remember hearing an interview with the late Alabama AD Mal Moore. Can’t recall the exact quote but it something along the line of ” We never worry at all about the money. Everytime we ask for some, it comes.”

1 year ago

I like the $$$ for military family student scholarships although not sure it is best spent at UNCCH. Why anyone would give $10M to UNC Athletics is IMO incomprehensible but thats just me…

1 year ago

Have been doing a bunch of catch up items and our social and whatever calendar has been full….so staying up late at night to stay caught up for a trip to the mountains. As a result, too keyed up to go to sleep. EPSN provides a “Buzz” and I can usually drift off. Friday night, their crawler had a UNC label or section. Last night….NADA. 24 hour news cycle has ended. N&O has some headlines….. NCSU “Sane” board is really calm. It is more concerned about AD Yow specifying the conditions for Coach Dave from the Midwest’s LIFETIME contract. Rumor is that she and her legal iggles have dusted off Jimmy V.’s.
      As to the Cheerleaders….I recall our crew and can still name names. One had to “leave” twixt our sophomore and junior year due to being of child. They were a pretty and sexy lot. The Head Cheerleader is now the most known face in NC….folks see her likeness every day. She used her real world “Rah-Rah” skill set and common sense from being raised in a small NC town to turn around a bloated and meaningless NC Government agency. The Democratic controlled swamp in NC took almost as long to “declare” her the victor as the Supremes did for W….and the year was 2000 and she is STILL getting re-elected. She still looks good…
      The Bright and Shining moment this am is NCSU 6-1 and UNC 1-6. We is DOOMED….but bowl eligible. The mighty Dabo done lost. Louisville done lost. Off to Marion for a few days….
      Your promise to quit sounds like the guy from UNC-W’s “resignation” column.

1 year ago

Frau / Randy will not be the first or last to commit the Lifetime Contract and/or 5-6 year “Lifetime” suicide. As with silly IPFs.. IT’S ALL DICTATED by 17 y/o semi-literate “youngsters” i.e. RECRUITING. Hopefully Frau / Randy will include a MASSIVE buy-out when DD gets wooed by Deep Pocketed SEC Fat Cats. I’m sure you recall LSU pirating off a promising NCSU FBC named “Bo”.
        I’ve already reminded Bre’r Kennel that you STILL ain’t won nuthin’ yet. As good as it’s certainly looking “now”… “now” don’t mean SQUAT until “now” is Dec 1.

1 year ago

Certainly can’t argue with the “show me the trophies” comment….and that is a long way and a lot of Saturday’s off.
          BUT, one must have a positive attitude….I was at a Vette show at Rick Hendrick’s complex in Concord yesterday. Wandering around the displays, I saw a tribute to his son and brother and also his “10 Ten” rules of life and business. Optimism (Think Positively) was number one. Faith (God, Family and Yourself) was number two. The rest of them were probably what is plastered on must locker rooms and coaches walls. SO, I will focus on number ONE.
          I DO recall that the Fightin’ Fedoras were 5-2 last year at this juncture. It was the NCSU upset victory that licked all the red (Blue?) off their candy. They were 8-3 and we made it 8-4 and then the Sun Bowl brought in Stanford….and it was 8-5 and the Light Blue were not crowing….walking around like it was a losing season….and THAT permeated (OK….the NFL harvested some lads) into 1-6 this year. I am NOT going to start a #TSW (The State Way) campaign…but will just be content and keep the faith….
          BTW….curiosity….what “degree” did you lost lost UNC diploma have written on it in prose that only Shakespeare would appreciate?

1 year ago

“AB in Education”… I was headed towards a career as a dues-paying NCAE drone, voting straight (D) and bemoaning the grim reality that “Those who do GOOD are resigned to NEVER do WELL”. Then I got sidetracked into the Sisyphian Hell of Corporate America.
            If Bobby Purcell were to hire me as an outside consultant to “jerk-a-knot in WolfpackNation” my advice would be way too simple to justify the oh-so-high fee I would charge Bobby…. STOP THE 24/7 TEETH-CLENCHED FIXATION ON THEM “OVER YONDER”. Do what you do the best you can do it and set your bar higher than “at least we beat THEM”. The phrase “they (State fans) hate us (UNC) more than they like themselves” is known by every TruBlue from cradle to grave. UNCers sleep well at night knowing many Wuffs cannot… because of “them”. … Blame it on “the UNC J-School owns the media”… or “UNC Lawyers own the NCGA” … or “UNC owns the BOG” or blah blah yadda yadda.
            Despite all the Skywalkers and Jimmy Vs and Philips and Russells and Trea Turners ad infinitum… “you people” would rather wallow in the self-pity of being “the red-headed (pun intended) stepchild” of the UNC System” than Be The Best You.
            (1) Avoid the several “trap games” over the next month … (2) Whup Dabo on Nov 4th … (3) Rout the Floundering Fedorians … (5) Beat down the Hokies in The Swofford Bowl … (6) THEN Bitch about finishing 5th or 6th in the Final Four Race and Win The Orange Bowl… as DD leaves for Knoxville or Baton Rogue or…
            My bill for services is in the mail…

• Irondoc Reply
          1 year ago

Looks like DD might be building a decent program. Probably getting us to the point of yearly 8-4, 7-5 seasons with rare great seasons. I do like his “mass kicks ass” philosophy where developing big ‘uns gives you the best chance for success when you don’t get top 10 recruiting classes year after year. Maybe this season will be special. We’ll see as there’s along way to go. We’ve got a “puncher’s chance” against Clemson but still have to get past Wake, who looks very strong, and BC. As we’ve seen this week with Syracuse and BC, on any given day… I’d really like to see us beat the Golden Domers as I’m taking the bucket list trip to South Bend and a win would be gravy on what looks like is gonna be a fun trip. Talking contract extension for DD now seems silly. If Tenn or LSU really want him, they’ll come get him regardless.
          Can’t say I’m surprised by the outcome of TGU. Lawyering up and winning with the highest priced hired guns is the American way. God bless America!

1 year ago

Enjoying “Now” is fine and as it should be … but the Reason For The Season comes in November. The Prospects and Possibilities are Daunting for sure.
            Enjoy The ND Experience. Park in the massive Shuttle Lot north of town and avoid parking hassles. Walk the campus and take all the “gawking tourists” pictures… TD Jesus… the grotto… et al.

• Ron Zwart Reply
      1 year ago

Bob….at least things are getting back to normal now … and to prove it the NCAA nailed NCState for having a freshman BB player GO TO CLASS at another school this summer So in true NCAA form they make him set out a year……..word is that the NCAA is considering granting UNC another BB scholarship for this infraction

1 year ago

That incomprehensible decision and timing of it’s announcement is consistent with The NCAA’s tendency to shoot itself in the foot at every opportunity. It certainly does provide excellent fodder for the Valvano Chapter of Conspiracies Theories R Us.

• ENC#1 Reply
      1 year ago

BL, you are correct we have to shake it off many times in life as life waits for nobody. I never did think UNC would get what they deserve from the start because there are rules for most of us but not all of us in this life. I did however believe that had creative such an academic mess that they would be punished for at least 5-10% of it.
      I learned that rules are not always rules for a small few in society as a young high school junior (in ENC) when school rules changed for two fellow classmates ….. one’s father was a judge and the other a school administrator.
      I lived through that reality (learning/teaching moment) and learned it is not always what you know but for some it is who you know.
      Keep up the good work as I really enjoy your honesty in your columns.

1 year ago

My father passed away when I was a Jr in college. We never had a man-man talk about “Life not being Fair”. I was a slow learner on my own in Corporate America. OUCH!
        I do NOT think “Life is a s*** sandwich” but it sure never hurts to lift the bread and check before you take a big bite.
        FWIW: I intend to stop this website… when I run out of column fodder. 🙂

1 year ago

I was personally not surprised that it came to nothing…but I was somewhat confused that the NCAA and UNC did not come to some kind of penalty just for PR reasons. Now when not as wealthy school XYZ has done the same thing UNC did and for example enrolls a couple of athletic managers as “non-athlete” portion of the class will the NCAA just stay out of it…or will they as expected throw the book at a non lawyered up school? The future will be interesting.

1 year ago

VERY interesting. This precedent is going to be thrown up in the NCAA face for many years.
          A $10,000,000 fine would still have left many wanting “blood and a severed head on a stick” but it would have sure beat NOTHING.

• geek49203 Reply
      1 year ago

Uh, Bob… Obama’s daughter did in fact to an internship with Harvey. Not the invisible rabbit one either. From Vanity Fair January last year: “Malia Obama’s Next Move: An Internship with Harvey Weinstein.”
      I keep imagining NYC parties with Harvey, Bill Clinton, Ken Weiner, and before he ran for President, Donald Trump. Cause you know it happened. But the quartet did have their limits obviously — Hillary is now shocked at this latest bit of news, as she was for the news about Bill and Ken. Meaning that none of the club put the moves on her. Gosh, I wonder why? And in an ironic turn, Ashley Judd, who started this Weinstein thing, was the featured speaker condemning Trumps alleged offenses in the P&ssy hat parade.
      Back to the cheerleaders — I recall when they wore longish skirts and incredible clingy sweaters, and in many places, filling them out was a prerequisite for the job. All in the era before sports bras and “competitive cheer” and such. Face it, I’m old….

1 year ago

If I have learned anything following politics closely for 30+ years it is that “sexual misbehavior” is TOTALLY non-partisan. It may be the only thing other than “cancer” that “crosses the aisle”.
        The two major parties take turns trading predators and perverts. Repubs do tend to throw theirs under the bus quicker but thats nothing to brag about. This Weinstein Mess is fun because it seems to involve EVERYBODY in Hollywood.
        Wonder what Muslims think about cheerleaders ???

• Hammer69 Reply
      1 year ago

So, why did Linda get killed off, and why is Abby leaving NCIS? These are really important issues relative to TGU…. And the rest!

1 year ago

The “Linda” thing totally caught me by surprise two weeks ago. Putting up with “Danny” likely wore her out.
        Have not seen a confirmation re: Abby… but Jethro will keep the team together regardless because he is Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

• Bob Kennel Reply
      1 year ago

BL, best I ever heard was Kay Yow’s “swish your feet and keep on moving”.
      I’m going on record as truly believing TGU would not happen at NC State. That’s based on a few decades of experience, a personal relationship with many coaches and almost all the administrators involved in sports and academic support (BASE was not wasted), and some ability to influence the way things are done. Finally it depends on whether I would wink or blink at an impropriety in return for a key win —- and I would not !! Seriously, I don’t care where you put me in your post-TGU attitude percentage, but I do know where I stand ( and hope that I’m there with people like Coach and Prince Albert) ☺

1 year ago

I have no reason whatsoever to doubt your total faith in current NCSU leadership. Jury hasn’t even be chosen for Keatts’ so I’d be careful there… but DD has no blemishes as a “character guy” so far. Gottfried had his warts and Chuck was hardly a choir boy so just “wearing a gray/black uniform” is no guarantee of high character.
        “Coach” is probably MORE cynical than I am regarding Big Time College FB/MBB. Albert doesn’t pretend to be an “insider” but he is a loyal Tar Heel. Neither have your degree of devotion.

• Tin foil hat heel Reply
      1 year ago

The one good thing about this will be the end of the self righteous moniker of “the Carolina way” which everyone who was really paying attention knew was a bunch of crap. And which is why the neighbors have pined so feverishly for our comeuppance. Now we are proven to be just as scummy as everyone else.

1 year ago

I’m not so sure “they” have learned any humility lessons. Don’t get your hopes up. Fans have the “right” to totally ignore Reality and Facts… most do. … Gradiants of “scummy” are left to the eye of the beholder. No two are alike.

1 year ago

If anything, they are going to amp up the saying. I fully expect to hear it more and more as a way to show their willful ignorance. To everyone else the “Carolina Way” now means something completely different.

1 year ago

To a hard-core Dean-worshipping TruBlue the “they all hate us” syndrome will be a flag to rally around.

• unctarheel1984 Reply
      1 year ago

Well, like the old saying goes, “when the only thing in your toolbox is a hammer everything looks like a nail.”

1 year ago

Not sure how that is applicable, but as I recall you are a steadfast TruBlue so I assume it is intended as some sort of HaHa We Won comment…. which is understandable. Gloating is an integral part of any rivalry.

• unctarheel1984 Reply
          1 year ago

First, you are astute enough to understand what I meant. Second, I’m not TruBlu if you think that means I drink the Koop-Aid. Grevious mistakes were made and acknowledged and blame affixed. The error of many, maybe you included, is believing the NCAA had jurisdiction. It didn’t. This mess was, from its inception, Affirmative Action run amok. It was “the soft bigotry of low expections” where some in positions of authority assumed that minorities needed and deserved a cribbed path to a UNC degree to lift them to a better circumstance and thereby serve a greater societal end. Of course the courses were heavily populated with jocks. Most football and basketball players are minorities and it was AFAM. What students do you think migrate toward Jewish studies? Set up a curriculum on Southern Heritage and see who enrolls. Nyang’oro and Crowder didn’t care that the kids they “helped” were jocks. Mostly they cared that those kids were minorities and the ends justified the means. But no one wants to talk about that at parties. It’s not politically correct.

1 year ago

Actually, while familiar with the Hammer-Nail phrase, do not see where it applies. But lets move along… I understand all the semantics and word-parsing that has accompanied this from Day One. And I understand the “Not an NCAA area of involvement” yadda yadda. I will take issue that Burgess / Deborah did not have “help Dean’s players get easy grades” as their primary objective 18-20 years ago. Did they not realize that was kinda sorta maybe not “kosher” (to use your Jewish reference)? We’ll never know nor will we ever know Dean’s active/passive role in the whole thing. … Beyond Dean / Burgess / Deborah none of the others really matter… and Burgess & Dean were gone before it was discovered.
            I never could come up with what I thought was a “proper” penalty severity but NOTHING was never an option in my mind. I never figured any penalties to the current program. Maybe a fine and maybe the 2005 banner… maybe.
            It’s over… but hard-core rival fans will gnaw on it off/on for quite awhile achieving no purpose. The stereotype “Carolina fan” will still be what he/she has been for 50 years give/take. The NCAA loses more credibility (if thats possible) and for what thats worth. Not much. … Roy hangs around 3-4 more years with very competitive Top Five teams… and “being Roy”.

• Lakepacker Reply
      1 year ago

Now that it is over, how long will DK keep writing about it? Julius’s show cause will have as much impact as a self-imposed one year bowl ban.

1 year ago

I suspect DDK to move on to other “things”. Because he is a friend, I hope that doesn’t mean employment-wise although I do think he can do better than “that place”.

• DM Carpenter Reply
      1 year ago

Two fine points, and an observation from me.
      1) Vulcan mind trick (“Vulcans never lie. I am lying to you.”
      2) Hamchunk quote, right up there with ‘Provo’s Privvy’. Yes, SFC Muldoon, ‘It sings’. (Two quick The Green Beret asides. The terrain, upon which the A-team camp was built for the movie, is still called ‘John Wayne Hill’ at Benning. I knew it intimately. Stories of Aldo Ray (who played Muldoon) going into Columbus, GA, during the shoot and raising hell, were still legendary 35+ years later.
      3) The trifecta would have been adding a quote by Crapgame from Kelly’s Heroes, “a deal deal…maybe the guy is a Republican.”

1 year ago

Was Donald Sutherland “Crapgame”?

• DM Carpenter Reply
          1 year ago

Don Rickles was ‘Crapgame’. Donald Sutherland was ‘Oddball’ the tanker. Oddball had the second-greatest line in movie history, “To a New Yorker like you (to Crapgame), a ‘Hero’ is some kind of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!”.
          Just for the record, the greatest line is by John Wayne in TRUE GRIT, “Fill your hands, you sonofabitch!”

1 year ago

Hard to have a Top Five movie lines without at least one from The Outlaw Josey Wales and/or Road House. Wasn’t there a line in True Grit about “Them’s bold words for a one-eyed fat man.”

• DM Carpenter
              1 year ago

“…bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.” immediately proceeded, “Fill your…”. I have never watched Road House, but my favorite Musical film is Paint Your Wagon. “Hello Parson, welcome to Hell!”

1 year ago

Paint Your Wagon… “I give you the boy. Return to me the man.”

• Mayberry Jim Reply
      1 year ago

Once I got past my youthful naivete (for instance, I used to think the TRUTH would come out in court….yeah, RIGHT) I have come to believe that in any field of endeavor that involves either money or some form of competition, there will be cheaters. The most successful cheaters are those that co-opt the management/organizers/sanctioning body so their cheating is either overlooked or otherwise somehow whitewashed as if it never happened. In my own life I’ve seen it in sports from T-ball all the way to the pros, in school, in NASCAR, in business, you name it. I’ve come to expect it and usually can sniff it out even when the “Media” will not report it. Such is the way of the world.

1 year ago

Yeah verily Jim. The real AhHa Moment is when one can accept that “My Team of Choice” is just as susceptible to such “situational ethics” as all the others. The “Everybody But Us” self-con is tough to get passed for many.

1 year ago

The aforementioned GHS cheerleaders….YOWZERS!!

1 year ago

And I remembered that many WITHOUT consulting my annuals. YOWZA Indeed.

• Gear Up Reply
          1 year ago

C’mon BL, without pictures, that cheerleader wordsmithing is exceptionally cruel!

1 year ago

Let me see if Mr Google can help out… give me 15 minutes…. I have replaced Taylor Swift with a more generationally-correct picture.

• Gear Up Reply
          1 year ago

On a positive note, at least we have the American Assassin Blu-ray/DVD release in November. The movie is in the black and exceeded it’s production costs, so I hope that means another Mitch Rapp movie in 2018 or 2019.

1 year ago

I’m NOT sold on Dylan O’Brian as Mitch. Keaton is perfect as Hurley and the AfAm Irene is fine … but Dylan is not “My Mitch”…

• Gear Up
              1 year ago

I know, but he did a serviceable job and given his real life injury recovery saga; I’m pulling for him to get a movie franchise out of the role. Besides, he doesn’t have to talk much. As someone who has provided “the ride” for many Special Operators, I can tell you most of the guys are shorter, wiry guys. The big guys are usually breechers anyway. Dylan put on some muscle for the role and can age into Mitch for many movies to come.

1 year ago

Dylan is not as “off character” as Tom Cruise is as Jack Reacher. I know spec ops guys are not 6’4″ 230 LB-types. I’m sure he will morph into “Mitch” over time.