BLSays: CHAOS at Carolina… yawn.

January15/ 2019

BLSays logo

CHAOS at Carolina… Again… yawn

Sure, your 1st Thought when you heard Carol Folt has resigned as UNCCH Chancellor was OMG, What will BobLee Say about this?  ….. Your 2nd Thought was “Will BobLee have to retire “Chancellor Chihuahua”?  His All-Time Best Nickname EVER?””

3rd Thought: But we haven’t heard BobLee on Clemson / Dabo / Nick YET ????  All those thoughts took about 30 seconds, right?

That picture up top… Obviously left to right… Chancellor Carol “Chihuahua” Folt … SSam … Who’s the Daddy Warbucks Dude on the right?

“Daddy Warbucks Dude on the Right” is Harry “The Hammer” Smith – Current Chairman of the Notorious UNC Board of Governors.  Don’t confuse Harry with John “Trainwreck” Fennebresque – former notorious chairman of the notorious UNC Brd of Governors.  There’s lots of “notorious” around pretty much everything involving THE University of North Carolina these days.

I’ve never met Harry Smith.  I’ve read about him and “asked around” a bit.  Apparently The News & Observer REALLY dislikes him a lot which is as high a compliment as one can get in some circles.   I had him described as…

“some mega-rich guy from Little Washington that has a life-long hatred of UNC-CH for all the usual reasons lots of folks “downeast” hate UNC-CH”.

That Harry Smith is “a businessman who has made a lot of $$$” is about as scary a resume as one can imagine for a BOG Chairman. ???

Unlike most folks “downeast” who really dislike UNC-CH, Harry Smith is in a position as UNC BOG Poobah to exercise his deep-seated feelings of animus.  Uh Oh!

Did I mention that Harry Smith was appointed to the UNC BOG by “the notorious” NCGA Senate Poobah Phil Berger (R) – which guaranteed The N&O, and its disciples, would dislike him with the heat of a 1,000 suns.

It was Harry Smith that took 20 seconds last month to publicly ridicule… wad up and trash… Chancellor Chihuahua’s most recent whizbang plan to build a $5.3M Silent Sam Mausoleum & Oyster Bar on the UNC campus… with an $800,000 annual maintenance costs.

That “whizbang plan” was so ridiculous that the two warring sides in The SilentSam War actually called a 5-minute truce to jointly condemn it as RIDICULOUS.

Ma Spellings is now gone as UNC System Prez.  Bill Roper is Interim Prez.  Lots of people actually LIKE Bill Roper … go figure?

It’s basically Chihuahua VERSUS “Harry TheHammer”.  LOLOLOLOL… even Chihuahua was quick enough to see how that was going to end… so.

Yesterday, “Chihuahua” surprised pretty much everyone – except me, of course – that she was resigning effective in May.

Yes, it WAS a “You Can’t Fire Me… Because I Quit” maneuver.

Surely everyone knows that… right?

“Chihuahua” further stated that prior to her fleeing in disgrace, she intended to remove the “pedestal & plaques” upon which SSam stood for 100 years.  Doing so supposedly had some symbolic meaning to the profanity-screaming anarchists and assorted Franklin Street Flotsam.

The anarchists and street flotsam liked to gather at “the pedestal” and yell racial epithets at anyone they thought might be “a Republican”… “a Civil War re-enactor”… or “a white person that thought the anarchists et al were simply the latest strain of screaming lunatics that breed in Chapel Hill.”

Actually “Chihuahua” had already issued a work order to her Remove Pedestals & Plaque Department to do what they do Monday night.  So while Harry and his BOG gang were celebrating getting rid of Chihuahua without having to ante up a “buy-out”, the SSam Pedestal & Plaques were indeed removed.  They be GONE from where they wuz…… BUT

The oh-so-symbolic SSam Pedestal & Plaques were NOT destroyed

… simply placed in storage along with SSam hisownself.   Harry, Thom Goolsby, et al can order the UNCCH Pedestal & Plaque Removal Dept to “put’em back”… but I doubt they will do that.  But ya never know with this bunch …

Meanwhile, of course, NC Governor “Restroom Roy” Cooper who dislikes The BOG as much as The N&O does and for all the same deep-seated reasons has issued a “I support what Chihuahua did…” edict.   Chihuahua claims the Pedestal & Plaques were a safety hazard… and “safety” of angry anarchists and terminal malcontents is Chihuahua’s Top Priority… and “Restroom Roy’s too apparently.

In the next few days more stoopid crap will take place because it seems to never stop “over there”.

As a “lame chihuahua” of a Chancellor, but one who still operates under the iron thumb of “Harry The Hammer”… it will be fun to watch what mischief Chihuahua will try to pull off between now and May…    I’m guessing “gluing her desk drawers shut”… “drawing mustaches on all the portraits of past chancellors”… and “placing a dead mouse in the South Bldg ventilation system.

How much of such juvenile silliness will Harry tolerate before he simply gives her the old “heave-ho and away you go”?

WELL … that didn’t take long.

Harry has Heave-Hoed Chihuahua effective in two weeks.

LINK – .

So… WHATS NEXT?  Yeah, I’m sure some of you are thinking… “They brought back Mack… lets bring back Holden (Thorp)” who is now very very happy as Provost at Washington Univ.

I will do everything in my power as an Internet Legend to prevent that from happening.  You know I REALLY LIKE HOLDEN THORP… A LOT.   He is waaaay too good to come back to this totally dysfunctional academic nuclear waste dump.  Plus… the leftovers from The Butcher’s Gang still hates Holden for firing The Butcher.

No one in their right mind will take The UNCCH Chancellor gig without knowing who they will report too… among a dozen other valid reasons.   Of course, “no one in their right mind” has held the job the past six years.

The only “qualifications” Chihuahua brought to the job was (1) female … and (2) from the Ivy League.  Hopefully (but don’t count on it) the next oh-so-diverse search committee will aim a tad bit higher this go-round.

I wonder if Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has a hankering to be a University Chancellor?  … or CNN’s afternoon info-babe Brooks “Boobs” Baldwin (UNC’01) … HEY … howsabout “The Kavanaugh Accusser” (UNC’88) whose name I’ve already forgotten…

YEEEEEE HA!

I PROMISE… a full column on Dabo & The Future of Big Time College Football coming up NEXT!

2,000 MORE BobLeeSays… LINK

For Sooth…..whatever THAT means.
      I admit to being a little behind in my googling. FOR THE RECORD….
      Carol Folt and the UNC BOT Prez have a “petty cash” fund. It is the UNdesignated Excess Earning from the Chapel Hill Fund or the UNC Foundation Fund. There were several little “adjustments” made to the bylaws or charter if the FUND. They were voted on and approved by the UNC BOT and then the UNC BOG. You have to read the minutes to find them.
      Chanc & Prez can, with BOTH signatures, get money or funding for thingies that “benefit” UNC. Such as NCAA Legal fees and PR/Lawyering up to coach and guide the AD and Chancellor and other PR. That is what funded the multimillion fees paid that Folt declared were NOT UNC or NCGA funds.
      BUT, the little secret is that the FUND’s Bogey or Rate of Return was set very low. So any idiot or money with darts could beat it. Thus, you generate a lot of EXCESS, UNDESIGNATED $$. That IS yesterday’s or maybe ancient history’s.
      GUESS WHAT I FOUND OUT….
      If you follow the links, after some of the shenanigans, it appears that the auditors or maybe some lawyers reversed their “HIDE” and NOT file IRS docs advice…. If you follow the links….And then scroll through the filing……BINGO…we have a MONEY trail.
      What I cannot figure out is…..DOES Little Miss Light Blue Lapel Ribbon get additional COMPENSATION. How about $260K. Sort of fat boy running the JE Poverty Center.
      So, in addition to her $600K NC paid salary for being Chanc, MAYBE she also gets an additional $300K. ONLY the insiders and Raymond “Red” Reddington know for sure….
      What is fascinating is that the FUND is actually the “MANAGING” FUND for the $5 BILLION UNC Investment Fund. That is ALL of the member organizations from the UNC System.
      Here is a link. But finding THEIR IRS filing is a bit more difficult.
      Great reading on this holiday….or for chronic insomnia

I think you are going to miss Folt more than I will.

• UNCBlue Reply

BL, someone alerted me to her resume. After reading her career on paper, the question should be, how in the heck did this seemingly unaccomplished person get the job as Chancellor at what was once a top 5 public university?

How??… (1) she is female … (2) she was employed in THE IVY LEAGUE … (3) ?????. No one at Dartmouth was sorry to see her go. Only a few at UNC will be.

• Robert P. Kennel Reply

BobLee, decided to wait and see how all your fans responded to these latest happenings. Was not disappointed in the least. A lot of predictable responses.
      Right now I feel somewhat impregnable as an NC State fan based on great leadership in Randy and never needing to imbibe in wine and cheese. Just appreciate the old ways of thinking about sports and college education as my 3 current granddaughters attending State at the same time. Never a fan of Folt’s leadership, Silent Sam’s silence, nor Fennebresque type BOG leadership.
      For about 20 years from 1990 to 2010 I attended about 80% of the BOG meetings. A congenial and effective group during that time. Even ran in 2006 with bipartisan sponsors, but Brad Wilson got back in. Once Randy got here, I figured he could handle it :>))
      What’s the take of our mutual BOG friend on how things are going? Although right wing, he told me he’s really the moderating voice comparatively :>))
      Last week at the Raleigh Sports Club meeting, I asked out speaker Sylvia Hatchell (who looks and sounds great) if there was any impact of the Silent Sam mess on her staff, current players, or recruiting. She said actually, none she had felt. I wonder what she might think now that she has “folt”.

I share your admiration for Chanc Randy. He continues to make great advances for NCSU while adroitly avoiding all the pratfalls and potholes that Chihuahua kept tripping over. Good Riddance to a mediocre administrator.
        I’m pretty sure ZERO UNC recruits and/or stude-athletes or “just athletes” give a rat’s rear end about Madame Folt. I would think SSam might be of interest to some especially if rival recruiters stress the issue… as is their right to do so…

• WinstonNotBob Reply

So how many awards & recognitions will The Chihuahua get for this affront to the citizens of NC. She will likely get a standing ovation “for her courage” in numerous venues over the next few months. And when she gets her next job, they will talk about her leadership in “doing the right thing”.

Depends on whether she sticks around Chapel Hill. She will have to vacate the Chanc House so who knows. Yes, groups that REALLY HATE the BOG will “honor her”. Regional media (N&O and WRAL) will go out of their way to praise her of course.

• Joe In Raleigh Reply

I cannot believe that no one has asked this question yet.

How is all of this affecting recruiting?

Are “we” certain that has not been asked? When Ms Rosser-Hyde was signing that condemnation letter to The BOG, she quite likely was posing the question to Mack & Roy. Ms Rosser-Hyde is THE Official Designated Asker of That Question.

• TarSpartan Reply

First, let me just dispel rumors that I will be the next chancellor, despite my alumus status and a PhD. I don’t want the job, and they have made clear that they don’t want people like me.

Second, buried in the WRAL article is a blurb about the Campaign for Carolina raising $4.5 billion dollars. Now, since my PhD is in a hard science, I was compelled to run the numbers. Given an enrollment of 30,000 students (give or take), that works out to $150K per student. At $35K for tuition (assuming out-of-state rates, since that is supposedly the actual unsubsidized tuition cost), the Campaign dollars could completely pay tuition and fees for every student on campus for four years with money left over. Or, said money could be invested at 5% (a reasonable rate of return on a long-term investment) and reduce tuition by $7500 per student per year in perpetuity.

Never mind, I’ve just proven again why I will never become Chancellor.

“… in perpetuity” … “perpetuity” is one of those words that is just a lot of fun to say… “perpetuity… perpetuity… perpetuity…”
        The list of those of us NOT on “the short list” for Next UNCCH Chancellor contains a LOT of very impressive folks!

• Former96Heel Reply

Who knew Chancellor Chihuahua was moonlighting as the Marketing Director for Gillette before she bailed?

HAA! Perhaps Carol saw that Harry was about to drop the hammer and decided to hedge her career opportunities?
        UNC has a nasty habit of providing outgoing senior admins with ridiculously exorbitant contrived faculty positions. Will be interesting to see if Chihuahua gets such a gift ???

• SixPacker Reply

My niece graduated from the Masters of Accounting program at UNC back in the fall. The ceremony was held in Memorial Hall which was built after the Civil War. Initially it was going to be built to honor David Lowery Swain, a former president of the university, but they were having trouble raising money, so they dropped Swain and began raising money for the hall as a memorial to faculty who served in the Confederate Army and Conferedate dead. The sold large tablets to donors with honorees on the tablets chosen by the donor. The original building was declared unsafe and destroyed. The current Memorial Hall was built in 1931. So, when I was walking around in the lobby I was talking note of all the large white tablets that were sold to raise money for the original hall. They were saved after demolition of the original hall and installed in the new one. Almost all of them honored officers or high ranking officials in the confederacy. As I understand, and as a NC State guy I may be mistaken, but Silent Sam was the statute of a foot shoulder, not an officer. It is doubtful that any “Silent Sam’s” in the conferderate army where wealthy men and and even less likely that they owned any slaves. However, the honorees represented on the white tablets were representive of the most wealthy and power men of NC and most certainly owned hundreds of slaves. So my question is, when is Memorial Hall coming down? Certainly if “Silent Sam” offends so many, the hall and the tablets contained in it honoring actual slave owners is even more offensive.

Your question is not a new one… nor limited to Memorial Hall. Eliminating every single link between UNCCH and America in the mid-1800s is impossible. Chapel Hill’s anarchists and terminal malcontents tend to cherrypick their intolerances du jour. “The media”, of course, conveniently allows them to do so.

• Setarcos Reply

Had to come here and get your take. You and your commenters certainly did not disappoint! Keep up the great work.

This was a belt-high fast ball… easy to wallop!

• Banks Randolph Reply

BobLee you were on the mark as to my first thought after reading the headline regarding Chancellor Chihuahua departure. One question, does she get to keep her collection of lapel ribbons are part of her severance?

I suspect she pirated those away before she made her bold play with the forklift. Maybe she should leave ONE as a reminder of her ever being there. Six inglorious years symbolized by one lonely lapel ribbon…

• Porgie Reply

Your guy Bubba should be the next leader after all he already is in step with PTB and knows what the deal is. But it might be to much of a cut in salary not to mention that multi $$$ annuity from several years back. No, Randy is not available. Wonder if Chancellor Chihuahua would have taken any banners down as a further admission of pass sins.

Actually he / Bubba would make a most fine Chancellor, but there is The Catch-22. He is too smart for the gig and has the same disqualifer as Holden… Both are my friends… Uh Oh!

• Deacon Reply

…being an engineering type from State, I don’t have the accounting creds of a UNC accounting degree….but when one writes….”When all is said and done, UNC-CH has revenues in excess of four billion dollars per year.”….does it not require deducting expenses from the revenue to arrive at the profit….if there is only a $10 profit, then the revenue is barely enough to sustain the operation??

I am not in a position to question such numbers. I think his point was in his opinion CF did a lot of good that she doesn’t get credit for. Alas such is not likely to save execs in high profile positions.

• Kenith Reply

BobLee, I am reminded of a line from an old John Wayne movie, “The Green Berets”, “Well, he got the one that got him”. I think Silent Sam might qualify to receive this epitaph. Could Chancellor ChiChi be the last casualty of the great misunderstanding? When I heard the news last night I knew you would have a column today and was happy the BOG told her to not let the door hit her backside as she leaves..

Apparently “Harry The Hammer” Smith is a somewhat No Nonsense Problem Resolver. I see The Problem / I solve The Problem / Next Problem?

FWIW… the top name on this letter formally bashing the UNC BOG for firing Carol Folt is Barbra Rosser-Hyde. … YES, THAT Barbara Rosser-Hyde!
      During The Greatest Athletic Eligibility Scandal in NCAA History, Ms Rosser-Hyde’s #1 Concern was: “Coach Davis ..is this hurting recruiting?” … https://bit.ly/2HfFxpI
      The clowns just keep on pouring out of the little car.

• UNCBlue Reply

Since Folt has completely embarrassed the University, why not just move her to some small office on South Campus? At this point she is worse than useless.

It is my understanding that she has been completely disarmed within the past 12 hours. Whatever mischief she might have planning has been neutralized. I’m thinking Harry Smith has some hands-on experience dealing with discontent employees. YA RECKON?

• Steve Rogers Reply

I just laugh and roll my eyes when I read your analysis of the problems at UNC-CH. Here’s the thing: you reduce UNC to athletics and the undergraduate experience. Meanwhile, UNC-CH is more, much more than athletics and undergraduates.
      Breaking it down to the simplest terms, look at Carolina’s 2017 financials. Revenue associated with teaching amounts to somewhat more than four hundred million dollars. That’s a lot of money, but it’s only a fraction of UNC’s budget. Grant income was about eight hundred million dollars. Not to put too fine a point on it, but research brought in nearly twice as much money as teaching. Patient revenue from UNC’s health care operations were over one billion dollars.
      Now, let’s talk about athletics which brought in about sixty six million dollars. Guess what, that’s less than the combined income of parking lots and dining halls. When all is said and done, UNC-CH has revenues in excess of four billion dollars per year. That’s not as big as Apple, but it’s nearly 1.5 times the size of NCSU, the next largest university in the system. Yes, sports are visible and the undergraduate experience is important. But, folks, UNC-CH, and for that matter, NCSU are big and complex operations. By nearly all measures, Carol Folt has done a great job running the UNC-CH operation over the last six years. I only hope the Board of Governors and UNC-CH’s Board of Trustees finds someone at least as capable to run UNC-CH for the next half decade, or so.

Guilty as charged… I take consolation that I share my cell with “the media” and with 95%+ of man-on-the-street citizenry who likewise see only “the front porch” of a large university. There IS a reason that a FB / MBB coach make considerably higher salaries than the most competent surgeons and scientists on the UNC payroll. I don’t make those “rules”.
        Carol Folt’s legacy will be “The Silent Sam Mess” just as Holden Thorp’s legacy will be “firing Butch Davis two weeks before the season”. Trivial perhaps when compared to the “back of the house” issues you note, but such is how society measures…
        FYI: My personal opinion on SSam is that the statue should have been relocated several decades ago to reflect overall societal shifts… BEFORE it became a sword for opposing groups to fall upon.
        Is The BOG as blind to Folt’s incredible leadership as I / the media seem to be? Are they not aware of UNC’s growth in her tenure? If so… how could such a silly blip as “SSam” bring her down? How much of UNC’s success over the past six years was due to Folt’s leadership? How much would that growth have been under Thorp’s leadership? His knowledge / expertise in the scientific / research areas dwarfs Folt’s expertise.
        Surprise! I don’t reach my often provocative conclusions on my own. I gather opinions from “insiders” who I have found to be reliable and astute in their evaluations. Over Folt’s term I have found little / no positive feedback re: her leadership.
        Carol Folt is fortunate to have your support. I am sure you are not alone in championing her.

• Former96Heel Reply

Wait until that crowd over there learns what Memorial Hall memorializes. It would be funny if it were not predictable. Some day they will shock us all, and be completely out of the news cycle for a full week.

I don’t expect “things to change” too much at UNC. A new Chancellor will hopefully bring a bit of adult temperance to The Circus but there’s only so much one can do…

You pretty much guessed what you massive followers were thinking. I read all about it (even when WRAL tries to block MY AD BLOCKER). Then went to bed early after the TWO ACC BB Upsets….TOO EARLY. Woke up this morning whilst a “3” was still on the first digit and started my PT routine. Somewhere in there, I turned on Elizabeth (she likes that) and LO and BEHOLD….the UNC-CH PP (NCSU Term…Physical Plant …. the workers who turned over the bricks and dusted their bottoms every three months) had done come in with cranes and jack hammers and other implements of destruction. BUT, the Votive Candle crew had ALREADY been alerted….and the MOLE in their midst called in the 441st Calvary of the Hilllsborough Corps of Flag Erectors Brigade (You have seen their handiwork flying all over the state). There was a MINOR altercation with words being exchanged and one of the UNC LEO threatened tazing and zip ties were used….
      Lawdy….Lawdy…..that lady done stirred up a hornet’s nest. Remember, for those newbies here…..Dartmouth let go or lost TWO Chancellors (Principals is you use the elementary venaculor) and The Little Blue Smurfette was INTERIM TWICE. Sort of like standing in for the Bride while she and the Best Man were doing it ONE LAST TIME…. BUT, no one ever took her seriously….
      I must say, I AM disappointed….but understand. You were busy punching keys and did not have time to PhotoShop on an “I Care” ribbon on the pooch.
      Everyone KNOWS you do NOT issue an ultimatum to your boss (or a carjacker unless you have a Dirty Harry 44 Mag already out and cocked) UNLESS you are prepared to do the “OR ELSE”. What INQUIRING minds want to know….and it may take copious amounts of JD or whatever to get your info…
      DID the BOG call the little pooch and say….”Hey, we need to talk and BRING your Attorney”….OR Was there a meeting where they said….”Are you CRAZY, Lady? A first semester STATE Design Student could have come up with a better solution that hair brained scheme of yours….” …. OR was it just one of those meetings that escalated OUT OF CONTROL? THAT is the question….
      I had just sent you the WRAL link where they told her that Locks and PW’s would be changed effective 5:00 ESDST 31-Jan-19. Then, up pops your email.
      Good Job….and you lucky scoundrel, you NOW have enough fodder for at least two more years.
      ALL I CAN SAY is that the NEW Wake County High Sheriff should send Ms. Folt roses and wine. WRAL had loaded BOTH Barrels on him….and the LBGTQX Crowd was making posters and suggesting camera angles and shots to the Breaking News 5 Producer. What a HOOT….Even the Lib Dems are saying…..”Donnie, WHERE ARE YOU?….PLEASE COME BACK…”.

I betcha… 48 hours ago none of this was “in play”. I think it just went KABOOM. My sources say the UNC BOT was totally caught by surprise. Harry is known to be a “quick reactor” to problem resolution…

Don’t know the particulars but Harry Smith aka Daddy Warbucks seems to have many talents. None more apparent than a penchant for either pissing off or being pissed off by a lot of people. His ECU pedigree has not helped him at all with his popularity among many at ECU or in Greenville. He seems to be waging a “replace the chancellor” war down here too but of course denies it publicly especially after many prominent notables wrote and publicly released a letter of support for Chancellor Cecil Staton.
      Of course you are right about Silent Sam. Like a basketball team or player that doesn’t want to take that last second shot, nobody wanted ‘that ball.” Folt, for all her faults took the shot that no one else would but was sneaky in doing it. What happened to Smith’s plan which appointed several members of the board to come up with an alternative plan by Friday, March 15?

Indeed, my research on Harry reveals the various battles he has waged at ECU and otherwise. Seems to wield a heavy hammer and dominate a debate.
        I got no clue what the UNC landscape could look like in six months. But No Mo Chihuahua… sigh.

• DaJudgeinCharlotte Reply

Soon-to-be-ex-chancellor Folt has given a middle finger to the Board of Governors and the legislators who enacted the historic monuments law. I wonder if the BOG and the General Assembly have the guts to take action to restore Silent Sam to his rightful place facing Franklin Street. This UNC alum is very disgusted with his alma mater. No more monetary donations from me. The faculty loons and the student hooligans can provide financial support from now on.

It will be interesting to see what actions the BOG takes re: SSam from this point forward. The obscenity-screaming anarchists are not going away…

• unctarheel1984 Reply

Oh, great font of internet knowledge, I beseech you, tell us which will happen first – my alma mater UNC stops being a national embarasment or NC State wins an NCAA title of consequence?

Well… with its WBB team currently 17-0 (only undefeated WBB team in America), I’d say NCSU has a better chance of achieving that goal than UNC does of NOT being a national embarrassment. Of course… is WBB “of consequence”?

• ncsu1987 Reply

LOL, when I saw the news last night on Twitter, my first thought, indeed, was “Oh, no, there goes BobLee’s best nickname!” Knew there would be a column today.
      Good read, as always!

This is all a master plot for me NOT to talk about Dabo et al ….