BLSays: Dabo/Nick… & GWHoF 2019

DaboNick
    January21/ 2019

BLSays logo

Dabo/Nick… George 2019… and

I promised you a Dabo/Nick column so here it is.

It’s been two weeks since Dabo VS Nick 2019.  If you are not a rabid Clemson fan… or a rabid Alabama fan… or maybe a very jealous Gamecock fan; has your life markedly changed as a result of the outcome?  Forget “markedly”… has your life changed even one iota?  … I didn’t think so.  So much for the impact of “a Big Game” in the grand scheme of things.

I’m always reminded of My World the day after UNC  / Georgetown 1982… “Michael’s jumper…”.  I was single, living in Dallas at the height of “JR Mania”.  I watched The Game alone in my “single guy in Dallas apartment”.  Went in to work the next day still excited over the thrilling outcome.  Not one of my co-workers had watched The Game… knew the outcome… or cared who won… sigh.  So much for “But But But It Was A Big Game”.

Is Dabo (Swinney, not Sweeney) the new King of College Football?  Is Nick to be tossed on the trash heap of “used-to-be”?  If Trevor Lawrence had slammed his hand in a car door several weeks before The Game, would Nick still be King and “Dabo” just a goofy guy with a goofy name?

Under the new trend du jour… a Juggernaut’s back-up QB is “a Nathan Elliott” at best.   A Jalen Hurt coming in to “save the day” will be rarer than an AfAm placekicker.

College athletes are like geese flying in formation… they just follow the goose in front of them.  If you are a 4 or 5-star QB and not starting you’re gonna TRANSFER ’cause thats what everyone else does… from now on.

IMO… Nick’s significant staff turn-over is a major factor in his current plight.  The price of success.   Can he … will he… rebuild a strong staff and keep it intact?  Is Nick at a point in his life/career where he wants to / needs to devote the time/energy to do that?

At Nick’s level 2 Ls is too many.  Will his own tribe turn on him…  What have you done for us lately, Nick?

America’s sports fans LOVE TO… (1A) put coaches / players atop pedestals… and (1B) knock coaches/players off of the pedestals they put them atop.

America has a Love/Hate relationship with “success”… sigh.

Can Dabo keep paying the mega-bucks to keep his staff intact?  Can Dabo keep adding new thrill rides to Six Flags Over Death Valley to keep the 5-stars coming?

I suppose I could comment on the Clemson White House Visit… the fast food feast…. et al.  BUT if I do... I’m going to violate my best intentions to keep politics off of this page.  The oh-so-predictable knee-jerk firestorm over the hamburgers did reinforce my conviction that I have nothing in common with “those people” but a pair of opposable thumbs. … moving right along.

One last thought on college football… locally.  I have no clue how successful “Mack 2.0” will be at UNC… BUT hated rival fans who think he is “an old has-been drooling his oatmeal and forgetting where he put his car keys” are quite mistaken.  IF (1) his staff can recruit and (2) if he can concentrate on being “a CEO” not a hands-on coach… he will surprise “hated rivals” as well as doubters in his own fanbase.

I’ve written several times over the years about The George Whitfield Hall of Fame held each January for 40+ years in Goldsboro.  It was held last week… and I was there… for the 6-7th time. GeorgeWhitfield

George Whitfield sees “80” in his rear view mirror.  He was (maybe still “is”) the winningest high school baseball coach in the history of NC high school baseball.  I’ve known George for 90% of my life on this planet.  He is “a genuine original character” as are several others of his era and “ilk” that I am privileged to know.

I had boycotted George’s shindig for several years due to the uncomfortableness of the wooden seats in the Goldsboro High School auditorium.  So, George moved it to Wayne County Community College… a QUANTUM logistical improvement for the event.

The spiffy new environs have NOT diminished the “cornier than Kansas in August” essence of the event… Thank Goodness.

As George reminds attendees each year… selection to The George Whitfield Hall of Fame is a very UNcomplicated process.  George IS the selection committee.

The # of inductees each year is determined by how many gianormous plaques George wants to buy.   This year he bought 25+.  A GWHoF plaque is sooo big if you screwed legs on it, you’d have a laser- engraved dining room table..

An Inductee in the GWHoF is any individual who achieved anything connected to sports in NC that George deems worthy.  Some are nationally famous… some have state-wide fame… some are simply “hometown heroes”.  It’s a “good thing”.

One of this year’s inductees was former NC State Football Assistant Coach Joe Pate.   Of the 300+ attendees in that auditorium, I think I was the only one who knew Joe’s #1 Claim To Everlasting Fame…

In the interim between Mike O’Cain’s departure and Chuck Amato’s arrival… it was Joe Pate that kept in touch with a recruit down in Athens Alabama.

Without Joe Pate, it is doubtful that NC State woulda have ever known #17 PHILIP RIVERS.

Annual attendees know George introduces his new inductees alphabetically.  This year, at the 90-minute mark, I turned to a “renown” friend and muttered “…. he’s only on the K’s ! Aaaiiieeee”   Fortunately this year’s bunch was A-L-centric so we were done by two-hours.

Oh… three different people came up to me in the (Wilber’s) barbecue queue… “Are you BobLee?”“Yes”, I replied as I gauged whether I could fend off a frontal assault.  … “I just wanted to say how much I love your “Chancellor Chihuahua” name for UNC’s Chancellor.”  (NOTE: This was before last week’s UNC brouhaha).  … “Thank you” I replied “I was divinely inspired.”

Have I mentioned I rode down to Goldsboro with THE Bob Kennel.  TBK observed our strict “No Politics At All” policy.  I could tell you about TBK making a wrong turn on the Hwy 70/117 Bypass and going 10 miles towards Mount Olive before I “suggested” he turn around… but I knew it would make great column fodder so I let him keep going.

Yes, The GWHoF is corny.  Yes, it is hokey.  Yes, certain aspects of it are delightfully “goofy”.

In an out-of-control world rapidly going insane… events like The George Whitfield Hall of Fame are Treasures that “we” must hold onto for all we are worth.

I hope you have a similar event in your area.  If not, I bet George would be glad to help you organize one.  I’d give you George’s e-address… but he doesn’t have one.

I was planning on discussing the Demise of Legendary NC Barbecue… but I’ve run out of time / space.  Next time?  No, I haven’t forgotten my column on It Is Finally Soccer Time In America.

Yes, I did watch the two NFL games yesterday.  The No Call on the obvious Pass Interference was AWFUL.  Yes, I knew, and so did you, that Tom Brady would Do What Tom Brady Does…

If you didn’t have a “my team” in those two games, and I didn’t… they were as fine a “sports entertainment” as you’ll get over six hours.  No, they weren’t Game 6 of 2011 World Series but nothing will equalTHAT… IMO.

2,000 MORE BobLeeSays… LINK

• UNCBlue Reply

Kinda related comment. Seems more and more people are staying home from many of the sporting events that were packed some odd years ago. From football, college and pro, to basketball games, fewer and fewer appear to be showing up. Last night’s Clemson-Fl State game appeared 2/3 full?
      Are people just fatigued from sports or am I just remembering events “in the old days” incorrectly?

IMO… its a combo of factors. Not the least being 100% TV coverage and the quality of large screen TV w/ graphics, etc. Also the $$$ costs of attending in-person versus convenience of home-viewing. likely “event fatigue” too.

• Robert P. Kennel Reply

BL, no strong feelings about Clemson/Bama. Hate to admit it but Dabo has earned his prominence the right way (despite your “Flags over Clemson” put-off). The tigers earned their “hamburders” from Trump :>))
      Great picture of George Whitfield and the good things he has done for baseball and all athletics in NC. We played together under Frank Mock on the Kinston American Legion team (New Bern didn’t have one that year) some 66 years ago and have been friends ever since.

Knew you would find a place for getting lost in Goldsboro somewhere. CNR told me he also got lost in Goldsboro going down to recruit Bill Bunting from New Bern.
      My sister Jennie Kennel Adams came first in George’s alphabetical list. Did talk with Phil Kirk (his daughters knew Jennie in gymnastics) but no politics.
      Also knew Coach Pate was instrumental in maintaining Rivers’ recruiting at State. Many more State fans know about that than you give us credit for.
      Got a good barbeque story for you when you get the article done. Will you talk about the guy who wrote the definitive book ?

Yes, I have spoken with JSR re: current plight of barbecue. Will link to his website.
        Re: Catching up to Dabo… are you and Wendell Murphy planning to finance the development of a Six Flags Over Carter-Finley complete with roller coaster and jungle boat ride.
        … NOTE: I saw where “Mack” is adding CHARGING STATIONS to Kenan Locker Room !!! TRUE STORY, not making it up.

• Ashley Overton Reply

I want to know why Maceo Parker never received a Grammy for his playing of Night Train by James Brown.

Since I had never heard of my quite-famous fellow Kinstonian until three years ago, I’m not the one to ask.

Re: The Platters Guy apparently was a member of the group at some point and lives in the Tarboro area. There are dozens of former or late group members. He can be found scrounging around used record shops and buying $2 Platters albums and signing and selling them to old coots at his shows.

Yep. That was him… I was hoping for Maceo Parker.

On subject…mainly. Maybe you should save the barbecue article for Nielsen sweeps month.
      Never met coach Whitfield but he and Ronald Vincent at Greenville Rose HS are two of the winningest baseball coached in NC or anywhere. RV has won over 900 HS baseball games and 6 state championships. If the creek don’t rise he will make it to 50 year coaching career if he hasn’t already. Did you and Phil Kirk talk politics and did I hear Platters music was played to warm up the crowd?
      By the way, my life did not change even one iota since, MJ’s jumper, Saints-Rams, Bama-Clemson III or since Carol Folt resigned and the much maligned BOG showed her the door on an accelerated timeline. Dabo’s life perhaps changed somewhat as I haven’t heard “Clemsoning” mentioned much recently. If I was Dabo I’d try to own it and use it to denote winning. Life has also not changed since SS went down. I do think life is better with BBQ joints like Wilbur’s though. I seem to recall you recently saying that BBQ is off your diet preferences. Not convinced removing an occasional barbecue plate will add any quality or longevity to my life. Thankfully I still enjoy it and my digestive tract can still handle it.

Phil (Kirk) was an inductee but we did not chat. I DID enjoy a long chat with former MLB Mgr Dave Bristol AND an “umpire” (not Joe West). Yes… George had “a former Platter” sing one song too many and a C&W gal who also sang one song too many.
        The build-up to upcoming BLS re:BBQ Column is approaching Tsunamic.

• Former96Heel Reply

My hunch is, the BBQ thing is a factor of small towns and generational business. In Chlt, new BBQ places are all the rage, maybe a half dozen new ones each year. All of them seem to be a rehash of the older places of yore, while only a couple of the old places hang on. Charlotte is a transient town anyway, so most residents would think Mac’s is older than Bill Spoon’s because it has old gas station signs inside.
      The second generation, and especially the third, in almost any business that takes long hours, does not want to work 80 hours to make a living. I also think there is probably a scenario where the restaurant doesn’t make enough money to support the parents still, and 2-3 of that second generation to the lifestyle they want. Too many piglets, too few teats. But one restaurant owner can open a modern version, and staff it in shifts, watching food quality closely, and do well. The new spots all serve alcohol as well, and do a better split of lunch/dinner than the older places seemed to do. They always appeared to be heavy on the lunch crowd. Maybe again a function of the big town/small town thing. I’m assuming a higher portion of folks in Charlotte or Raleigh eat dinner out compared to Wilson or Shelby.

Yes… each of your points are “on the short list” of reasons why.

To me, the Nasty Champoinship game was a bore. What is interesting, and I don’t watch all the hype in the MSSM (Main Stream Sports Media) is that, the MSSM done moved on and is not reporting or hand wringing over Dabo’s faith.
      He seems sincere and appears to be a true believer and there are no viral videos of him in the Garden of Death Valley doing a 24 hour prayer and yoga session asking HIS God to smite Nick and such.
      But, when he fades, there will be reporters that will ask him what does he think of HIS God, now, who has seemingly deserted him.
      We folks in the OTHER end of Raleigh also see the demise of the mom ‘n pop BBQ. Danny’s, noted for brisket in addition to the pulled and ribs and such, closed the Morrisville location, which was the largest. The Miami Blvd eatery only serves lunch.
      The original Cary location is still, reasonably crowded, but not SRO or reservations.
      Ex Prez Obama would have KILLED for fast food in the White House, but Mama O would have actually killed him. All that was missing was a bunch of Catholic HS students in MAGA hats as the servers. The MSM and all the social science celebs would have melted down the Internet….

Yes… the “sports media” delighting in “Nick Is Dead… Long Live King Dabo” will turn on Dabo if he dares to lose 2 in one season. Again: Put’em On A Pedestal / Knock’em Off The Pedestal. Hopefully Dabo knows what to expect.
        LOTS of anticipation over my upcoming Barbecue Metamorphosis …

• Ric '73 Reply

God help me but I do love to watch Patrick Mahomes play. Good interview too. Really enjoyed keeping up with Trubisky and Switzer this year. I saw Switzer referred to as an offensive “Swiss Army knife” by one writer. Do you think Tepper is foolish enough to bring in Kaepernick? What does it sound like when 20-30,000 season tickets are returned? Maybe I can sub Mahomes/Chiefs for the Panthers if necessary. It truly is a shame to see all of these old BBQ joints close. In my humble opinion, Bill Ellis never ranked in the top echelon. Great sides but cooked his Q with gas.

Kaepernick, IMO, unlike the McRib, will NOT “be back”. But I do believe Mr Tepper is quite capable of shooting his toes off “because he can”. I hold to my original prediction that he will be a loose cannon and embarrass Charlotte at some point…. George Shinn 2.0.
        Looking like my BBQ column is being eagerly anticipated !!!

• Old Alpha Wolf Reply

Yes Ole Timey is the one on Hillsborough Street out past the Fairgrounds on the left going out. Wednesday, 11:30?

Oops… got a funeral in Fayetteville on Wed. Tomorrow is good ?? … or Friday?

Reply to OLD ALPHA WOLF. Sadly Jack Cobb & Son’s BBQ closed in October, 2018. Not many sons and daughters are seeking a career path in BBQ pits involving +14 hour days starting at 3AM. We have have been fortunate to have lived in the golden age of pit masters and BBQ joints.

I’m watching Road House on AMC BobLee.

Passing the generational baton is a major component in the Demise of BBQ Joints.
        Yes… Road House is on. “Be Nice… until it’s time to not be nice.”

• Deacon Reply

Simper Fi

“Simper” ?? …or Semper ? 🙂

• Deacon Reply

don’t mean to be unbearably picky, but it is “Marines”….not marines…you’re writing and wit is too good and detailed for this misunderstanding

• Old Alpha Wolf Reply

Us Wuffies are concerned about staff turnover..a mini-version of Nick’s issues. Also, glad to know about Joe Pate’s award..A truly fine fellow. I am told, a great defensive coach at Furman for Sheridan. Jericho Cotchery was also in the Alabama bunch that Joe kept warm until Chuck took the seat… Can’t wait for the BarBQ column, since I am a self-proclaimed BarBQ aficionado/expert. Let’s see, we’ve lost Bar B Que Lodge, Bill Ellis and Allen & Son…Doug Saul’s in Nashville is one of my favorites but he never gets mentioned in any of the “lists”. Cobbs in Farmville is my current favorite. Now that I’m no longer a muckity-muck, let’s have lunch…Ole Timey BBQ is good. I’ll buy.

Yes, not the ideal time for DD to be doing “fruitbasket turnover” with his staff. Ideal opportunity for Mack 2.0 to “make inroads”.
        Hope to do the BBQ column next… if Breaking News will let me.
        Is Old Timey the one at 55/54? … OR is Old Timey that little roadside “diner” out Hillsborough past the Fair Grounds? Sure… pick a day/time.
        Being a muckety-muck is like being a Marine… once one / always one. 🙂

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT…. Former ECU HFC Scottie Montgomery is Univ Maryland’s new Off Coord.

• Jay Reply

“Nick’s significant staff turn-over is a major factor in his current plight.” What plight?

BTW, a bit of trivia: Before Clemson, who was the last school to beat Bama by 28 or more points? Hint: It’s another ACC School.

– Jay

“Current plight” = losing to Clemson twice/three years and subjected to “has Nick lost his MoJo” discussions.
        Must be The Hokies…. 🙂