Generational Evolution Can Be a Real B*tch… PLUS

Generational Evolution
    March03/ 2019

BL LOGO

Generational Evolution can be a Real B*tch… PLUS

In one of my prior forays as a “Today our speaker is …” I had a bit where I asked the audience rhetorically How many of you have experienced Reverse Caregiving? i.e. “caring for elderly parents”. My audiences were of the Baby Boomer ilk so I knew a high % would relate.

The punchline was It ain’t as much fun as you thought it would be. Is it?  Then I would give a few “laugh to keep from crying” examples of why….

Of course, you can’t imagine anyone thinking it would be “fun”. But, a rite of passage that responsible adults encounter.  As with each of Life’s various rites of passage it has challenges that test our “mettle”.

Another such mettle-tester is now upon those of us of that societal demographic ilk – Generational Evolution.

Like that New Year’s cartoon of the Old Year / New Year transfer… our 30-40 years of driving the bus is pretty much over. Ready or not… the steering wheel will be / is turning over to a new generation. Ready Or Not… Indeed.

It is a subject that merits volumes to cover. I don’t do volumes. I do pithy blogs that provide a 8-10 minute reprieve from whatever else you oughta be doing. But I will be espousing more about Generational Evolution down the road… but not now..

Theres More

Whether you “follow Baseball” as I do, or you gave up on it years ago over The Designated Hitter… long pants… the players strike in 1994… whatever; You likely saw where Bryce Harper signed a 13-year contract for $340,000,000. OMG!!!

Regardless how you care about Baseball… that likely bothers you for various reasons.

As even casual visitors to this Incredible Website know… I am susceptible to being “bothered” by various things for various reasons. … The $$$ in MLB, or sports in general, does NOT bother me.

I do not totally understand “inflation” and how the cost of various goods/services ties in to household incomes and overall discretionary spending. I don’t understand “economics” in general.Ford Mustang

I relate everything to the price of a 1965 Ford Mustang in 1965 – $2,500. That $2,500 far exceeded my ability to own one. I settled for a 1960 Ford Falcon at $400 and was grateful for that.

It’s 2019, Blondie and I just spent the equivalent of THREE 1965 Ford Mustangs to renovate our “ensuite”.  Had we opted for a walk-in tub/shower that woulda been another SIX 1965 Mustangs. We opted not to.

What pro athletes and “famous rappers” make is all Monopoly Money to me. I realize Sports and Music / Entertainment generate MEGA $$$ from consumers. Seems logical that the artists / athletes deserve a fair share of that MEGA income.

If I could command $340,000,000 for my services… I hope I would have other options in that $$$ neighborhood other than Philadelphia ??

Back in the day, when I traveled all over “the fruited plain”; I never developed any positive vibes in my 8-10 visits to Philadelphia.

Business travelers judge cities by their airports, hotels, restaurants… and the weather at the time of ones visits. Residents of a metro area have more substantive evaluation criteria.

Other factors are in play for Harper… the team’s players, coaches, owner, ballpark, et al.

At $25,000,000/year, Bryce and his family will live in either a gated millionaire’s enclave… or a convenient penthouse condo. Those choices are available anywhere when one has that income. “Weather” is the X Factor that one’s income cannot affect about where one lives.

NOTE: The Harpers’ off-season residence is their hometown of Las Vegas. Pretty much a 180 from Philadelphia.

Where You or I might choose to live If $$$ Was No Object will be a fun topic for another column…

Theres More

Today’s Book Notes involves my Favorite Author – CJ Box – and his outstanding series about America’s Favorite Game Warden – Joe Pickett – and his supporting cast o’ characters. Book #19 in the Joe Pickett series comes out next week. I have pre-ordered it.

In a tweet conversation with fellow book lovers, especially CJ Box aficionados, I related my visceral reaction to the ending of Pickett Adventure #18 – The Disappearance.

I was walking around a frozen lake in Madison WI listening to that book. It had been a typical Box / Pickett story with the various characters “in character” doing what devotees of the series expect.

Joe encounters “bad guys doing really bad stuff” and with the help of his family and “Nate – The Master Falconer” / Best Sidekick Ever” Joe had dispatched the evil-doers having to resort to extremes as he (especially Nate) invariable must do.

With only 5 minutes to go in the audiobook… the final showdown complete. Taken into custody by Wyoming State Police trying to sort thru the bodies and carnage… Joe is cuffed in the backseat of a patrol car. – Uh Oh!

The WSP officer’s cellphone rings. He turns to Joe … “it’s for you..” …. Joe takes the phone… ????

“Joe, this is Rulon.  So, you’re in the middle of a mess, again” …. “Yes sir” “I’m taking care of it.  How are MaryBeth and the girls?” “They are fine, sir.” “Talk to you later.”… click.

I exalted “YES….” with a fist pump. Frightening other walkers around the lake…

It would take too long to explain “Rulon”. That exchange means nothing except to Joe Pickett fans… for whom IT WAS PERFECT.

I told “CJ” it is among The Top Five greatest “last pages” in American Fiction. CJ said “WOW, Thanks!”

Theres More.

You might notice a few subtle changes around “The Website”. A few more are “in progress”. My Grand Plan is to (try my best to) separate (1) Entertaining You … and (2) Saving Western Civilization.

I’m using Twitter as my primary platform for #2… and becoming quite the disruptive influence if I do say so myself. Not quite “a Twitter Legend” YET but it is inevitable…  @BobLeeSays

BLTwitt3

AgentPierce has been reassigned in this new strategy.  AP is now involved in several “black ops” projects involving social media.

BLONDIE is still here… with regular provocative contributions on her Page.

AP’s former page is now BL Tweets where I will post the Best of BobLee’s Best Tweets each week. I do not want those who “don’t tweet” to do so simply to enjoy my tweets. Twitter is a pre-apocalyptic wasteland not for “normal folks”.  It is a deadly form of “media meth” and equally addictive.

Each BLSays column WILL contain a LINK to the BL Tweets page. It is Highly Partisan Provocative Political Punditry NOT intended to ambush or infuriate those who hold a contrary POV… But To Reaffirm those who share my POV.

BL Tweets is simply a column reposting of my recent Tweets.  You don’t need to be “on Twitter” to see it.

Many of you DO share my POV.. and I will be glad to ALERT you when new BL Tweets are posted in the same manner you are ALERTED to new columns here…. Just let me know via Email – boblee@bobleesays.com – that you wish to be notified. I have a number of names already.

I have an ever-growing list of Topics for upcoming BLSays columns. Topics as devoid of “partisan political bias” as is possible in America circa 2019. I cannot guarantee 100% sanitized but as best I can.

I’m doing this – NOT because I am concerned about “pissing off” anyone. Trust me! – but rather… even if you do share my socio-cultural concerns…

You should have ONE place to visit that does NOT remind you 24/7 of the Socio-Cultural UnCivil War raging in our country. BLSays hopes to be that place.

These website modifications are intended to allow both purposes. Wish me luck…

2,000 MORE BobLeeSays… LINK

BL Tweets … Partisan Political Punditry – LINK

• James Gaster Reply

Late to the game on this article. I still have my first car, 1965 Mustang I paid $750.00 for it in 1974 bought from the original owner. It is taking up space in my garage waiting for me to find the time and/or money to do a restore. My wife once asked why I held on the that old car that does’t run. I told her she should be glad that I liked to hold on to old broken down things. The couch was quite comfortable that night. Yes we are still married, 35 years this September.

I did NOT see that punch line coming… OUCH! 🙂 .

• fayettewuf Reply

I really have trouble understanding how Harper or anyone can add 300M+ value to any team over 12 years. I just don’t know where that money would come from. I assume someone with a calculator decided that he is worth the investment but I’ll be damned if it is obvious to me. Part of it, I guess, is to keep him off another team. But really, one slugger does not make that much difference. I guess the Phillies went the other route with their dream pitching staff a few years back and that did not work out.

It’s a very high stakes poker game. One… he blows out a knee / shoulder everything could change. At best, he comes to bat 4 times/game which not like a Lebron James or Steph Curry who is a constant threat to take over games. The amount of $$$ is relative to the profits a team makes via regional TV ratings and how many tickets his presence sells. There was BIG spike in Phillies home game ticket sales last week.
        Me? If I was a team owner I would break that $330,000,000 up maybe three ways and sign three very good players rather than one …
        Sports is NOT a business for normal people … much of the Whys defy common sense.

• Mayberry Jim Reply

You calls ’em “rotaries”, I calls ’em “traffic circles”. I’ve been blessed with my share of traffic engineering classes, and in intersection layout, the dilemma is always “how to handle folks who are turning left”. All the other movements are pretty easy to free flow, but left turns demand that most other movements stop . Traffic circles and other creative solutions such as “diverging diamond” interchanges address the problem by minimizing (not eliminating) the impact of left turns. Everybody gets inconvenienced a little bit but no one has to bear the full brunt of an opposing left turn. Sounds almost socialist when stated that way.

The whole concept of “traffic” is socialist in that EVERYONE is equal… except for Emergency Vehicles. Wealth / Celebrity really doesn’t matter. You gotta follow the rules or risk an accident. I think I got in the habit of calling them “Rotaries” when we lived in New England where they are fairly common… but still a challenge for many drivers.
        My “knowing who has right-of-way” really doesn’t matter unless the other guy knows too. I tend to assume EVERY idiot driver is “a liberal democrat”. I know that is not so but it helps focus my Road Rage… 🙂

• Old Alpha Wolf Reply

OMG, had a turquoise 1960 Ford Falcon when me and my DEBW got hitched…You could ride with your arm around your lady….Not a baseball fan, but Harper gets $340,000,000 because that’s what the job pays.

I had a 58 Nash Rambler… then the 1960 Falcon… then a 1965 Plymouth Valiant. They all had the same luxury accessory – an AM radio. The car I wish I still had was a 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass.

• Former96Heel Reply

Traffic rotaries may be hard for everyone, but they seem to work better than 4 way stops. The surest way to know the origin of a driver is to see how they react to a 4 way. Natives stop, and wave on 2-4 people before feeling comfortable enough to inch out, while imports see the red sign as a suggestion, possibly tapping the brakes to slow through the intersection. I am impressed to see anyone actually follow right of way correctly. I just assume those folks are Law Enforcement or Drivers Ed teachers, they are so few and far between. I guess 4 ways may be like parallel parking, another sign of that generational evolution.
      As silly as that Harper money is, I read yesterday that the yearly value is still low enough for the Phillies to chase after Trout in 2 years. When did Philly become the team outspending the Bronx?

My solution to traffic management are Bahamian traffic cops that do those manic arm-waving dances in the middle of the intersection complete with whistle blasts.
        EVERYBODY “knows” what you are supposed to do in a rotary… but no two people “know” the same “what”. I LOVE IT!
        The billions that MLB teams get from regional TV deals funds their salaries. Only a dozen or so clubs consistently draw decent crowds for 82 home games. 50% of MLB players make the $550,000 minimum for their first 5 years. Managing those roster slots is critical to affording the Superstars.

Had a brief encounter with something similar to generational evolution/institutional knowledge. last Monday while driving around Raleigh. Was taking the wife to Roast Grill to get a hotdog. Got there and it was closed so went to Plan B, the original Char-Grill close by. Well did you know that streets in Raleigh have changed and some have become one way thoroughfares over the past 20-30 odd years?? I know now. Almost had a Sky 5 breaking news event trying to make it to Hillsboro St. from West St. The more you know, the more you know you don’t know.

Traffic “Rotaries” are mentioned six different times in Revelation as a Sign of End of Days. NOT a Good Thing. No two people on Earth know How to navigate in “a Rotary”.
        Best way these days to get from State Capitol to Meredith is by way of that new Hwy70 Bypass around Goldsboro …

• Robert Kennel Reply

Love your writing but hate your politics 😋
      Sounds like a satisfactory way to handle the Jekyll/Hyde internals.
      Turned 83 this week and understand “taking care of” versus “being taken care of”.
      Glad Dodgers didn’t get Harper. Turner may be Nat’s go-to guy now
      Not much else to say 😎

Impossible for me to “think like Bryce Harper”. His Phillies’ press conference was impressive but I’ve never cared for “his image”. I’m more of a Trout, Arenado, Betts, Judge, Bregman, Altuve, Goldschmidt fan for reasons I can’t explain.
        Obviously I have very negative opinion of your politics too. Nothing new about either of us admitting that.

• Rivlax Reply

I stopped reading at the C.J. Box portion. I’m on Book 15 right now, and I’m actually READING it like normal people are supposed to do. 😉 But I was afeared that you’d put in some spoiler hints even if you weren’t meaning to, so I quit reading. As for Joe Pickett, who I called “the incompetent game warden” after he got his gun taken away from him by a bearded goomer in the first book, he’s about my favorite serial character in a while. And, in the tradition of Elvis Cole’s Joe Pike, Nate is as good a stone-cold sidekick as you’ll ever find. I’m about to catch up with the series, and I dread having to wait a year for another one.

BIG Elvis & Joe Pike fan … but Robt Crais hardly ever writes new ones any more. Myron Bolitar and “Win” are/were GREAT too but Harlen Coben stopped that series 6-8 years go. Elvis and Harry Bosch are similar, but Joe Pike is the difference.

As for Joe Pickett’s ineptitude with a gun, he can’t shoot straight anyway so it doesn’t matter. But Nate and his .50cal pistol makes up for it. That JP is NOT a SuperCrimeFighter makes him different from most of the others.

• Cheri.Richmond Reply

I LOVE JOE PICKETT BOOKS !!! Governor Spencer Rulon is along with Nate, of course, my favorite JP characters. Joe “Dudley Do-Right” is wonderful but it is the real “characters” like Rulon & Nate that makes the books so great. … Oh… and MaryBeth’s Hoot of a mother – Missie.

I have NEVER recommended Joe Pickett to anyone that did not thank me for doing so. I have an old Kinston friend who lives in Casper, WY and knows CJ Box. He is as fine a fellow as you think he must be.
        Missie has always reminded me of the Donna Mills character – Abby Ewing – in Knots Landing.
        For those not familiar w/ Joe & Friends … Nate Romanowski is a former SpecOps guy now Stone-cold Killer, but only of really bad people. His patented move is ripping their ears off with his bare hands. He is sworn to protect The Pickett Family whatever it takes. He always shows up just when he is needed the most.
        In a recent book, Joe’s daughter Sheridan is kidnapped by baddies and tied up in a barn in the middle of NoWhere. NoWhere includes most of Wyoming. Her situation is dire … she looks up and there in the window is Nate. He gives her the thumbs up AND THEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE … ALL HELL BREAKING LOOSE is Nate’s specialty.