UNCCH Hires a Basketball Coach who is “Well… You Know” …!!

Courtney Banghart
    May01/ 2019

BL LOGO

UNCCH Hires a Basketball Coach who is “well… you know” …!!

That might be the  Click Bait-iest Title since Two Cheerleaders In A Toilet Stall.

Ye Olde Flagship has become the First UNC System Institution to hire “an openly Gay Coach”… for a major (?) sport… in the New Millennium… from Princeton.

OK, it’s Girls Basketball.  That’s “major” somewhere… like UConn, maybe.

Is there an award for being The First? Does it involve A BANNER?

None of the information presented in this article is Confidential… or obtained surreptitiously.

No one is being “outed” by anything posted here.

Courtney Banghart – From Princeton – IS in a non-traditional domestic relationship.  Her spouse is named “DJ”.CourtneyFamily

According to an April 2018 magazine article… Courtney and DJ were “married” in 2012 and they have three children.  DJ coaches the Princeton Women’s Lacrosse team.

Here is a link from Hopewell Valley Neighbors magazine – April 2018 – LINK.

I am not passing judgement on their relationship or on UNCCH’s decision to hire Courtney Banghart as UNCCH’s WBB Head Coach.

Coach Banghart’s coaching credentials are very impressive. She appears to be supremely qualified to be a Head Coach of a Girls Basketball program at a Power5 institution.  Not that I would know those qualifications.

She will make in excess of $600,000/year. Anson Dorrance with his umpteen X ten national championships in Girls Soccer makes $180,000/year. Just sayin…

How did I obtain this information? On Tuesday morning I was contacted by several long time UNCCH sports fans. Those fans wanted to know if I knew whether or not This new coach Courtney Banghart is… well… you know ?

NOTE: My Gay-dar is as unreliable as my Jew-dar. I am really awful at determining if someone is Gay… or Jewish. I’m really confused with Jewish Gays… assuming there are such.

I consider myself Homo-apathetic. I’m not theologically astute to know “What God thinks about it”… I think I understand the assorted orifices/appendages combination but other than “don’t pick up the soap” in a prison shower room I don’t pretend to know a lot about “well… you know”.

I’ve never considered “gay bashing”… or taking “dick pics”. I’m pretty boring when it comes to “erotica” in general.

At that time I had no idea if Courtney Banghart was… “well… you know”. But I said I would do some Google Diving and see what I could learn. After 30 minutes I still had no conclusive evidence whether she was “well… you know”.

I noticed that there was a dearth of the usual personal information about Coach Banghart in bios that usually make mention of “…married to Bob, a hedge fund manager with Merrill Lynch…” or “married to an orthodontist named Eric and they have two children and a cockapoo named Luci…”. My keen investigative senses went on alert. Huummm…

I called an associate to help me mine Google, figuring four eyes were better than two. To his credit… he found the Lifestyle Magazine article. I can’t identify him because he does not have the level of security I maintain… and Lord knows this column might attract all manner of insane nutjobs… which I’m sorta used to.  He isn’t.

I asked Blondie what she thought. Her interest in Girls’ Basketball is even less than mine if that is possible.

“Isn’t everyone involved in Girls’ Basketball gay?” Blondie remarked. Obviously she wasn’t going to be much help.

Meanwhile I notified those “long time UNC fans” that I had no conclusive evidence YET but if I had to guess I’d say Yes… Courtney Banghart is “well… you know”. Knowing they needed hard evidence I persevered and, of course, struck pay dirt.

Wednesday morning I notified a UNCCH Official that I was receiving inquiries concerning Coach Banghart’s “domestic situation”… That might indicate a larger concern that needs to be publicly addressed… or not.

No reply was expected nor received. UNC Officials are very careful about their outgoing emails since TGU and all. Who can blame’em?

I have it 3rd hand that when Coach Banghart toured the UNC WBB facility on Wednesday she introduced DJ as “my wife DJ”.

There is no attempt (1) to “disguise”anything … OR (2) to “flaunt” anything.  It is what it is…

All I am reading about Courtney Banghart indicates she is highly intelligent and incredibly well-spoken. I have no doubt that if publicly questioned about “well… you know” she has a forthright response prepared.

I also have no doubt that MBB (My Buddy Bubba) did his due diligence.  IOW… MBB was aware before he contacted Coach Banghart that she is “well… you know”… and Bubba calculated the possible ramifications that might precipitate.

Worst Case Scenario = Every Rams Club member above the age of 60 cancels their memberships, rewrite their wills, and send HOW DARE YOU letters to every UNC Official they can think of .

They hung (can I say “hung”?) in thru The Greatest Athletic Academic Scandal in NCAA History but “hiring a coach who is well… you know” is Too Much?

I have a more active curiosity…

Figure the Chapelboro Gay Community are beside themselves with unrestrained glee. Will that translate into them actually attending UNC Girls’ Basketball games? Probably not.

If those outraged senior Rams Clubbers do go adios, they represent about 75% of the current UNC Girls Basketball fan base… reducing attendance to “dozens”.

I also noticed that the current Princeton Girls BB Roster is woefully Not Diverse… YIKES! … Think Tri Delts intramural team !!

Princeton WBB

So UNCCH gets a “well… you know” Coach who recruits Caucasians with ponytails … not AfAms with dreadlocks. Uh Oh!

If it’s not one thing… it’s another. What cha gonna do?

OMG! I just realized I’ve written THREE columns about Girls Basketball! NOOO!

EPILOGUE:  Considering all the pure foolishness that spews 24/7 from that Academic Asylum just south of Franklin Street, if “hiring a Gay Coach for Girls’ Basketball” bothers you… well bless your heart and pass the hushpuppies…

UNCCH ain’t the same “where you went to college” 30-40-50-60 years ago… and it hasn’t been for a very long time.

.A Lot More BobLeeSays Columns … LINK

.If you missed the Erma Bombeck column… you GOTTA read it. Not as provocative as this one but definitely a MUST READ. – LINK.

• Fighting Bob Kennel, Jr. Reply

I invented Sapphic love, right around the time Odysseus sailed the wine-dark sea.

YIKES. Have not heard from “Fighting Bob” in some time. All Homeric references always appreciated.

NCSU68Grad: Factoid definition from Merriam-Webster: An invented fact believed to be true because it appears in print.

Norman Mailer is credited with inventing the word in 1973. Mailer’s explanation was that factoids are “facts which have no existence before appearing in a magazine or newspaper, creations which are not so much lies as a product to manipulate emotion in the Silent Majority.” The flaw of course is that factoids are not exclusively the domain of just one group or political viewpoint. Norman was simply lucky that nether Rush nor social media was around to eviscerate his flawed “factoid.”

Be honest. This was written cause you knew 68′ would go off didn’t you? 😎

MOI !!!! … 😄

Factoids (not debating anyone).

This is the OFFICIAL contract site for UNC AD coaches.
      Dorrance – $190K starting in July, 2019. Nike pays him $200K in ADDITION. Can NOT find any info on a Ram’s Club stipend (like ORW has). UNC FOLLOWED NCSU (Debbie Yow Concept) and TOOK AWAY the “Radio-TV” Contracts that ORW and HFBC had. NOW Learfield Sports pay the UNIVERSITY the $$….well over $10 MILLION per year. Who says Bubba can’t Copy and Paste….??
      Dorrance does NOT disclose (or at least I can’t find it), his LUCRATIVE Soccer Camp revenue. Remember that Dave Cutcliff runs a “Special FB Camp” for pro players as well as his regular camp.
      FROM a PRESS RELEASE….
      Teams of the deal released by UNC state Banghart’s contract will pay $650,000 for the 2019-20 season in base salary, supplemental pay, expense money and compensation from Nike as the school’s apparel provider. That will gradually increase to $730,000 by her fifth season in 2023-24.
      There are also bonuses of up to $470,000 available annually for the team’s academic performance, winning an Atlantic Coast Conference championship and for how far the Tar Heels advance in the NCAA Tournament.
      OK>>>>>if you do the math. Carol is probably getting around $200K from Nike. ORW only gets around $250 and Sylvia was getting $150k.
      Don’t know about the “Expenses” and such, but probably in the $75 K range (cars and whatever). SO, if she is getting $650K then her UNC Contract (still unpublished) would be around $375K or so. That is the BASE (buyout amount) PLUS the Supplemental. NOTE….she can get $470K in BONUSES. If you google any major NCSU Coaches’ contracts, you will find the language and the amounts (prorated by sports) are about the SAME. YES….Ex AD Yow first started using them (probably copied), but OTHERS are now following suit.
      Readers and posters can comment on the “fairness” or whatever of Banghart’s compensation. I would point out that when Gail G was coaching Duke WBB and was winning, that the AVERAGE (OK Paid not scanned) attendance in Cameron was 6,000 or so or about 2/3 of the 9K or so. UNC was about 4K….
      NOW Duke is still about 3.5K and UNC is in the low 2K’s. MAYBE that is what Bubba intends to correct. I guess if you can’t get tickets to the Duke MBB games, the women are a viable alternative. There are FEW UNC fans at Reynolds when UNC plays….but a large showing of Dookies….
      I apologize for the THREE posts….

The issue with staff salaries can be bantered about by fans and HatedRivals but its really a greater issue with Other Staff Members. I’m sure Anson Dorrance does “well” with camps and other auxiliary income sources… but what of Karen Shelton with her multiple Field Hockey Championships and Whoever is the Girls’ Lacrosse Coach who is annually nationally ranked?
        Bubba is well-paid to manage these issues. As with all corporate executives…”Who gets paid what” is a BFD in every large business…. has been so forever and always will be.
        You bringing up Dorrance’s issues 15++ years ago is a reminder that in every HatedRivalry 100 Years’ War there are historians on each side who NEVER FORGET… There is a TruBlue somewhere with The Facts (??) about Dick Sheridan and the cheerleading coach … or Micki K and such/such a Duke player … or … or … or.

• Bill Reply

Strikes me as a “dog bites man” story. Just what one would expect of UNC-CH nowadays. Except, as you note, she is a Caucasian. Guess to be perfectly politically correct these days she should be transgendered and probably a few other boxes should be checked but, like you, I’m (gratefully) not sufficiently up to date on these matters to know just what they are.
      Happy Easter, BobLee. Still the season, you know.

• Former96heel Reply

I would guess being…well, you know, is likely what made coach Sylvia out of touch. A massive portion of wbb players play on that team, possibly a larger portion than is AfAm. Is that a recruiting edge in this odd world, that your coach play on your team?
      I doubt many rams clubbers care, but 600 for a wbb coach? Yikes, I hope she buys her own smoothie machines and charging stations. Again, validating my assertion that school needn’t one dime of mine.

In a VERY odd twist of circumstance… Sylvia and the local “well…you know” community did not get along. I’ll leave it at that.
        The $$$ issue w/ Banghart will raise a few eyebrows among fans AND among other non-revenue producing UNC coaches. Deservedly so.

• Jon Ham Reply

“Caucasians with pony tails” made me literally LOL.

Thats all I ever ask for… or expect! 🙂

• MAHA Reply

BL, I don’t give a big rats a—if she married a squash but paying her five times what Anson Dorrance makes is a freakin joke and I would fire your good friend Bubba for doing that. MAHA.

Its more like 3.5 times Anson but I share your amazement. She was probably at $150,000 or so at Princeton. Would she have come for twice that or for the $450,000 that Sylvia was making? No clue… maybe I’ll ask MBB someday. I think there are Title 9 rules in play, but not sure.
        I have zero financial stake in anything that goes on over there. So my curiosity is simply “how come they do that?” I assume AthDept salaries all come out of revenues generated by MBB and FB and NIKE. Everything else, including Baseball loses $$$ and always will…
        No matter how “successful” she is… the “crowds” (??) will be minimal and overall interest “meh”.

During the 2019/20 WBB season, a crowd of tens will attend many of the games in Carmichael gym. There’s no telling how many would be/are triggered just by seeing “girls basketball” in writing….. by BobLeeSays. Maybe 60 Minutes will pick it up next week. Who knows? This is the USA, 2019. My interest in GBB might be less than your’s considering I wouldn’t have guessed this would be a full topic here. I enjoy though. I also think female semi-pro midget cliff divers might be more fun to watch. Which would Erma Bombeck watch?
      I don’t bet but would still be willing to wager that Bubba WILL NOT hire an openly gay MBB coach when ORW retires. If you know better, I’d make a down payment or lease option on a brand new web server…..A BIG one. That would be hitting the motherlode.

If not an openly gay MBB coach to follow ORW… maybe a Trany?
        I have never understood my strong revulsion re: GBB. I don’t feel that strongly negative re: Girls’ Soccer so it’s not the concept of “girls’ sports”. I really don’t understand my own feelings ??? And remember I have no interest in The NBA which has the most talented BB athletes on the planet. So it’s not that girls’ aren’t very good by comparison… ??? I’m officially befuddled.

• NCS68Grad Reply

As a matter of references…..I copied my quotes from the archives at NCSU and UNC….but here is a little more info. I will let BK rattle on about his experiences there. I worked for a BLACK WKNC Student Radio Station Manager whilst at NCSU…..so it was widespread that we had taken down the gates….

YEP….Charlie was the FIRST Scholarship one.

Al followed Charlie – 2 years later.

BUT….BUT…..NCSU had AfroAthletes 5 years PRIOR to UNC….

1963 – UNC – was an Undergrad Transfer….

1955 – NCSU Integrates athletics….and THEN honors the individual…

In closing….Walter Holmes in 1956 (related to Irving?) joined the NCSU Marching Band. He dined in the Clemson College Dining hall with the REST of the band at a FB game. SC residents and students and parents were INCENSED….APPALLED….. THEY stopped the “Free Food” for the opposition Band and THEN we (the band members) were given allowances. I KNOW….I was one in 1963. Whoda thought???

There were statewide circulated petitions calling on Gov Timmerman to BAN him the next year and that they did “NOT WANT RACIAL MIXING AT CLEMSON”. Even a high ranking FC of NCSU complained and was told to get over it as Walter was a talented musician and that he was NOT a TOKEN as two tried out and one was NOT as talented as the “Others” but Walter was superb… Guess that they were NOT aware of Brown vs Board of Education (Little Rock, AR) decision by SCOTUS in 1954…

Thus endeth the DIversity history of the two schools…..and YES….UNC DOES seem to teach “classes” in snobbery and such…..but let in them heaterns that took down Silent Sam….Chanc Chi Chi done did that….

Not sure who you think you are debating on all this. I’m certainly not taking issue with your enthusiastic support of your alma mater.

I will take the posture of a LT FC UNC Benefactor….SO…? What’s your point, BL?
      Interestingly, it is TIME that UNC becomes a bit more DIVERSE.
      Cases in POINT. NCSU had black athletes in sports LONG before UNC did. Dean Smith gets the “Token Dark” award.
      In 1958 Irwin Holmes joined the North Carolina State University’s tennis team making him one of the first black athletes at the University. Holmes would also become the first African American to serve as captain of an athletics team. Holmes was also one of the first four black students admitted as undergraduates in 1958. He would also earned the distinction of being the first black undergraduate to earn a degree, having graduated with a B.S. in Electrical Engineering in 1960.
      The university’s (UNC per UNC Museum.org) first black athlete was Edwin Okoroma of Nigeria, who played on the soccer team in the fall of 1963. He graduated in 1965, went on to medical school, and became a physician in Washington, D.C.
      I would also point out that NCSU had the FIRST “Well, You KNOW….” WBB HC in that Kay Yow was not of the same persuasion as Sylvia and others. It was rumored and generally widely known that Kay’s assistant, who was interim WBB HC, Stephanie Glance, was a dear friend of Kay’s.
      I had a rabid UNC Grad ask me in June, 2011…..”How do you feel about Sidney Lowe becoming the State HBBC”. I rattled off facts and figures and occassionaly mentioned the 1983 Cardiac Pack and the National Championship…. He said….”No, I mean the fact that he is not WHITE….”. He went on to say that UNC was not ready nor would the “Rams Club” permit hiring of a coach of a certain ethnicity and race.
      So, that is MY take on diversity and the farce of such at UNC….but I have not contacted Silent Sam in his secured, undisclosed location and got an opinion. Maybe Silent Sam will be “Erected” in another location and will fire his Musket when a Black individual is named to a major HC position at UNC….
      I also frequent NCSU WBB games….even had season tickets once. It should NOT shock one to note that there are a LOT of “couples” who go to potty together and one will have SHORT hair (Sports Clip cuts) and the other will be be more traditional…. I have had some wonderful conversations with them.

I believe Charlie Scott is touted as “The First AfAm to receive an athletic scholarship to UNCCH”… Not sure that is an official diversity category. Willie Cooper from Four Oaks was a “walk-on” with UNC MBB in 1964. I believe there were also several “others” in “minor sports” in the early mid-60s as well but “shots at Dean Smith & The Carolina Way” are certainly allowed here.
        Kay Yow… I thought “Coach Yow’s personal life” was always considered “personal”. The Kay Yow Era was also in a different time in America. If you want to use Kay Yow to claim “the banner” for 1st Gay Coach in The Triangle for NCSU thats fine with me. BK should probably get a vote and a voice. I suspect he will exercise both.
        As for Hypocrisy among UNCCH loyalists. “They” have been offering graduate degrees in “that” for decades over there.
        That “the hiring of Courtney Banghart” is/will be the subject of some conversation among UNC Loyalists (and with HatedRivalNation to a lesser degree) for a few days is “my point”.