BLSays: What Do YOU THINK about …

The ThinkerX
    June11/ 2019

BL LOGO

What Do YOU THINK About …

My apology for the long time between commentaries. It seemed every time there was an Earth-Shaking Crisis about Whatever … by the time I could get to my desk to explain it to you … the Earth was not shaking about “it” any more.

Remember the Hullabaloo about Hank Haney and all the Koreans named “-Lee” playing in the LPGA?… Heck… who still remembers the LPGA?  BAN HANK FROM GOLF FOREVER !!!!!!   YIKES!

Maybe the new Rule Of Thumb should be… The LARGER the OMG type in the initial mainstream media headline… the less significant the issue really is.

OK… Today, instead of me telling YOU what I THINK …. I want to know what YOU THINK about several sorta kinda controversial subjects.

If you normally don’t comment but want to … you can make up any name to make a comment. Your email address (which you can make up too) never shows.

#1 … Are FOUL BALLS in Baseball a greater threat to Mankind than Global Climate Whatever ??

There have been foul balls hit into grandstands as long as there have been grandstands and foul balls. But until the past dozen or so years, those seats were not filled by fans watching their cellphones instead of the baseball headed for their heads… or the heads of their small children.

Outlawing cellphones at ballgames is not a practical solution. Extending the existing “netting” all the way to the foul poles IS “a practical solution”.

Several years ago MLB clubs did extend the nettings to the far ends of the dugouts… but “line drive foul balls” can create damage all the way down the foul territory.

Does “the netting” ruin a fan’s view of “the game”? If that was so, why are seats behind home plate considered the Most Desirable ??? Those seats have ALWAYS been protected by netting.

FWIW… Foul “fly balls” that clear the top of netting are not as hazardous as “line drives” due to increased reaction time. Fans can still catch those as valued souvenirs.

IF I owned a major (or minor or college) league ball club I would have netting the length of the foul lines. Fans bent out of shape about having to “look thru the netting” can get great seats in the upper deck.

BUT…. What do YOU THINK about Baseball netting?

#2 … What About Transexuals competing in athletics against For-Real Girls/Women?

“They” can now do so in North Carolina High Schools and in The NCAA. Probably in Olympics too.

The same folks who raged against “steroids” and other artificial performance enhancements are all in for genetic males competing against genetic females… Huh ???

This seems in direct opposition to the sacrosanct “Title IX” that has dictated so much about “separate but equal” for male / female sports for 25+ years.

Sure, IMO, the whole “Transexual Thing” is a bunch of Hooey but I accept that there is a pandemic of “Hooey” in America these days. I’m not reopening the ridiculous “Bathroom Thing”… but simply awaking …

What do YOU THINK about Transexual “Males” competing in sports versus For-Real Females?

#3 … Selling alcoholic beverages at college sports events?

Longtime BLSays devotees know I am essentially a “non-drinker”. I can make a six-pack and/or a bottle of wine last a year or longer. I have no clue what a 5th of anything costs. … PLUS… I don’t attend LIVE sports events any longer.

Is there any difference between selling beer at pro sports or college sports?

Ergo… it doesn’t matter to me if “they” sell alcohol… or crack cocaine at sports events. … OR

Howsabout Abortion Kiosks… coeds and/or fat cats’ trophy wives – demanding control over their bodies – could get abortions during those interminable TV timeouts?

Maybe… Muslim prayer rugs at every seat (with compasses pointed towards Mecca) for all those under-served Muslim College Football fans?  Gotta be millions of those !!!

In these times of decreasing attendance thru-out College Football… will I can buy an over-priced beer at the game REALLY encourage people to attend who might not otherwise? … Is “I can’t buy alcohol at the game” actually showing up at focus groups on the subject of increasing attendance?

A few years ago there was a panic among “college athletic officials” to “increase Wi-Fi in stadiums”. Apparently THAT wasn’t much help.Strippers

Would – Cheerleaders in thongs w/ stripper poles – appeal to the same fan demographic that is supposedly clamoring for “alcohol at the games”?

NOT televising every game might help … and/or having kickoffs at times most convenient to human activity … or not scheduling cupcake opponents… OR simply accepting “on-site attendance doesn’t matter because the TV contracts are all that really matters”….

BUT… WHAT Do YOU THINK about Selling Alcohol at college games? … OR those Abortion Kiosks.

.Theres More

NOTE: For any of you following either the Stanley Cup or The NBA Finals… I assume you do know that Stacey Abrams is already declaring that SHE WON BOTH of’em. … (Albert.. Stacey Abrams is that big ol’ gap-toothed gal claiming she is The Governor of Georgia… or The Queen of Portugal or whatever…)

I’m not watching either the NHL or NBA Finals … so my apathy is NOT “a racial thing”.

I did see some ruckus about a part owner of The Warriors pushing and cussin’ a black player for the Canadian team … and, at the same game… the “white wife” of the majority owner of The Warriors received Death Threats for daring “to lean across Beyonce ” to ask her husband (J-Z ??) If he wanted a lime in his vodka”. …. and you wonder WHY I haven’t watched The NBA in going on three years now?

FWIW… Blondie, Kid and several members of our extended family do not think “Canadians” should be allowed in “our” National Basketball Association. I tried to explain it but decided it was too much fun to watch them rage about it.

I THINK… The NBA should have All Black Owners… All Black Referees… All Black Announcers… Any White Folks wanting to attend games should have to pay a Reparations Tax.   My Opinion should not matter. … It doesn’t.

May Madness in College Baseball was “interesting”… huh?

Two weeks ago the State of North Carolina had FIVE schools in the Road To Omaha PlayoffsECU – NC State – UNCCH – Duke  … and Campbell’s Fighting Camels.

Now… two weeks later North Carolina has as many schools actually “going to Omaha” as Utah, Vermont, and Guam COMBINED …. Zero.  Uh Oh..

Of course… Board Monkeys of the eliminated schools are fussin’ and cussin’ over which institution had the most embarrassing experience over the past two weeks.

ECU and Duke COMBINING for One Hit last Saturday was pretty weak.  And who will ever forget UNCCH’s “First Inning” versus Auburn on Monday …. YOWSA!  Was losing to Auburn “that way” worse than losing to Davidson two years ago?

That NCState fans are even in the debate after going O-fer in G-Vegas is pretty sad.

I have no clue what Campbell fans are saying.  Do they even have Internet in Buies Creek?

A Lot More BobLeeSays Columns … LINK

• Queen City Reply
      1 week ago

I used to be sympathetic to the LGBQT crowd before it became apparent that they are an angry ‘in your face’ bunch when it comes to their demands on how they interpret equal rights. I think you will find heterosexual woman start to turn on them as they creep more into female sports.
      Colleges now realize they overbuilt stadiums and arenas and consistently filling them is a ship that has already sailed. Alcohol sales won’t increase attendance but will help their concession P&L. On site sports gambling in my opinion is the only thing that can build attendance for both college and pro sports.
      Stacy Abrams is the poster child for any democrat that loses an election. It is always someone else’s fault and unfair..

1 week ago

I agree …. I agree … I agee … I agree …. etc. 👍

• Dr Wire Reply
      1 week ago

Wasn’t the netting extended in baseball stadiums once due to same concern? I believe the same outcry from all the same media-items. The fan safety issue trumps fan sight lines in today’s culture.

Trans females should be banned from competing against “straight” females in all sports. Let the trans create their own category of athletes and see who cares other than parents of trans females and the administration that has to pay for the equipment for the events

Beer sales at college sporting events is a no brainer. Colleges will take the money and be gracious to have it. Wake learned quickly people would stay in the beer area rather than watch non-competitive games to the point they opened up beer sales to the whole stadium. The Deacon is long removed from being a Baptist. It’s all about the Benjamins.

1 week ago

Several years ago (2-3) all MLB teams extended the netting to the far ends of the dugouts. That helped but still leaves significant areas susceptible to line drive foul balls. Don’t know the situation in minor leagues. Normally I would be Caveat Emptor on such an issue but this one seems serious to me for some reason…
        The whole transexual issue is so absurd to me. It is only going to get much more so.
        The beer sales issue is a lost cause… it IS going to happen soon everywhere.

• Fayettewuf Reply
      2 weeks ago

1) Netting for high velocity zones. Even if you are not texting, most fans don’t have time to react to a rocket.
      2) The problem of men competing as women is not enough of problem for me to care about.
      3) Sell beer at strip club prices.

Succinct solutions… 🙂

2 weeks ago

Did know Stacy Abrams but honestly did not know of the other controversies. Like you giving away beer, wine, bourbon shots, or weed for free at games is not going to budge me from my living room seat. 50 years from now some knucklehead will brag that my school broke the trans-barrier, comparing it to a Jackie Robinson moment. Luckily we’ll be in eternal rest.

2 weeks ago

Eternal rest may be our best escape from the Tsunami of Insanity …

• RaleighJacket Reply
      2 weeks ago

I am fascinated that women’s sports seems to be largely accepting the participation of trans athletes. It is no accident that there are no male trans athletes (females participating as males) in sports. I would be pretty upset if I had a daughter that was edged out of a medal in an event, a slot on a HS team or a college scholarship because of a trans athlete similar to what has happened in track with trans athletes. Martina (as you have mentioned in an earlier column) has been one of the few visible women’s athletes who has spoken out against this and gotten trashed by the SJWs as a result. Will it take having a team in one of the more visible sports (like women’s college basketball) use a trans athlete to win a championship before someone sees the obvious injustice to the other participants? Will Gino be the icebreaker?

2 weeks ago

GUARANTEED that there WILL be that before too many years. Why not? Maybe not Gino because he doesn’t need to but a struggling program trying to get to UConn’s level.
        Not approving of “transsexual” athletes in womens sports is NOT (IMO) an indictment of individuals opting to adopt a transexual life for themselves. Sue, I may consider it “aberrant” but I don’t have to apologize for my opinions.

• Nick.Richmond Reply
      2 weeks ago

BobLee… how long before college “Girls’ Basketball Coaches” start recruiting tranys? Isn’t that inevitable? Why not….

2 weeks ago

WHY NOT… indeed? I would if I was them, wouldn’t you?

• Joe.P Reply
      2 weeks ago

BL: Did I see where MLB is continuing to drop in on-site attendance?

2 weeks ago

Yes… down in a number of cities. Due cause to look at what – if anything – CAN be done, but caution not to over-react. We, as a society, are more often likely to over-react these days. On-site attendance is down in ALL spectator sports … and TV ratings as well. IMO, its more of an overall cultural shift in how “we” live than it is to a handful of ticky tacky factors i.e. “do away with the shift”.
        More on this in upcoming columns …

• Ric '73 Reply
      2 weeks ago

Really don’t GAD about any of the above, but would like to see a prayer rug by every base, hash mark and free throw line. Maybe Stacy Abrams becoming NBA commish would be a good start.

• Prince.Albert Reply
      2 weeks ago

You are absolutely correct. I had no idea who Stacey Abrams was until you described her. Then a light came on and I knew.
      #1 Leave it as it is. Could effect view
      #2 Disgusting
      #3 Will lead to more post game accidents and encourage underage drinking.

2 weeks ago

I may have misjudged BK on the Trany issue … BUT I never misjudge you!
        I don’t buy the “netting effects my view” argument. Simply NOT SO … If THAT is why someone says he won’t go to a game, he’ll lie about other things too.

• MaHa Reply
      2 weeks ago

BL, The only thing dumber than the trany thing is Bubba paying whats her face more than Anson Dorrance.
      On baseball, please tell me why if a pitcher throws a pitch and it barely hits the ground they get a new ball but if its hit on the ground and is an out it goes back to the pitcher. MAHA.

2 weeks ago

Baseball has MANY such “How come they do thats ???” WHY are more/more ballplayers wearing heavy dangling neck bling ?? Is it a Latin thing?

• Babs.In.Derm Reply
      2 weeks ago

I agree with you about the netting, transgenders should not compete against women, and I have no problem with beer or wine being sold at sporting events.

2 weeks ago

But… “Abortion Kiosks” not getting much traction among BLSays viewers. MAYBE there IS hope for America yet!

• Terry.P.R Reply
      2 weeks ago

Don’t baseball tickets/stadiums have warnings about the dangers of foul balls? Don’t fans “assume the risk” when they sit in certain areas?

2 weeks ago

Yes… I think so on both counts … BUT … no one wants to see a fan – especially a child – seriously injured. I’m not aware of a ballclub being sued for damages but Liability is not the only reason to take all precautions.
        Cellphone distraction may sound silly but it is a reality of our times… just as it is when car drivers are distracted by texting etc.
        I am normally a caveat emptor guy when it comes to protecting the great unwashed from themselves… but not in this case.

• Colorado Reply

BobLee –
      Transexual males
      For the 10 of us that still following track and field, there is a very big controversy right now concerning testosterone testing. Ever heard of Caster Semenya? She’s a South African middle distance runner who competes as a female and wins every race she enters – against other females. Evidently she has what is called an intersex trait – body variances that can include genital differences and non standard chromosomal make up. I don’t understand it – but here’s a link to help explain.
      Beer at college games – will happen. You think ADs will pass up a revenue stream like this? Don’t think so
      Baseball netting – will also happen – just ask any personal injury lawyer!!!
      Hockey – can’t get enough of it. You are aware St. Louis and Boston will be playing game 7 in Boston on Wednesday night for the Cup? The Biues have adopted a song that all of us who grew up in 70s vividly recall. It’s played on every radio station in St. Louis right now – all the time. It was played constantly inside the arena at all the home games – especially during the playoffs. And if the Blues win it, who knows how long it will be played in the St. Louis area. What song is it? Remember Gloria by Laura Branigan?? Take a time travel and check out the video on youtube.

Thanks for the info.
        I have family in St Louis who are Blues Fanatics. They never thought they would live to see a possible Stanley Cup Victory.

• Billy Bob Reply
      2 weeks ago

Get rid of the unwritten rules of baseball- so what if the batter flips his bat? If the pitcher doesn’t like it, don’t throw home run pitches.

2 weeks ago

I agree …. UP TO THE POINT that “bat flips” become choreographed NFL End Zone Celebrations.

• TarHeel69 Reply
      2 weeks ago

Great column, and I have opinions about all. Will address only two – am in favor of cheerleaders in thongs (true females only – no trans), and suggest black NBA coaches be added to the list of “all Black”.

2 weeks ago

I think everyone in ANY position of authority in The NBA should be 100% AfAm. The current commissioner – Adam Silver – is a space alien from The Planet Zolton. Maybe that is OK? Not for me to decide.
        I will not be surprised to see more provocative cheerleaders in the next few years.

2 weeks ago

Got a multiparty text from BIL’s wife today. Today was their day for their 1/2 hr stint to pick their CF parking spot. My WPC priority fails to compare to Bro Kennel, but my application did have Norm’s signature and my ID number is not expressed as an exponent. BIL’s wife is excited. Their space is now a casual walk and not a marathon run from our shady spot. BTW, it is 80 days and 19 hours (as pf 5:00 pm) until kickoff. NO….leave the booze out of the concessions, otherwise the mini bottle manufacturers will go belly up and it will be Trump’s fault as the Chinese print their labels and the tariffs were the cause.
      As to females competing. I MAY be wrong, but there is genetic testing in the IOC. May be the ONLY thing they do right. Several articles lately about females who have some sort of extra or maybe a partial chromosome thingie and have non descending whatever’s. They do NOT produce sperm and cannot self propagate. So, my vote or opinion, without Russian collusion (which probably WOULD vote for females that stand to urinate being allowed to compete as the squatters) is NOPE. This whole gender bender and identity ruse is also a Chinese plot to take over the kiddies clothing market.
      Have a friend that is a certified Montessori Kindergarten and elementary school educator. They are in a midwestern city that is pretty conservative. The hoopla is that a group of parents (good plot for the resurrection of Boston Legal) are sending their young males to school in the equivalent of sequened tutu’s and princess outfits. Another group of parents is not happy. This “figure out what gender you are before you reach puberty”….and express your inner (or today’s) feelings every day and tweet to to the world what you “are” each morning ain’t gonna end well.
      I DO admit to watching the NBA and NHL playoffs. Got interested when the Canes became a real team again. GS was a Dino buff and adopted the Raptors. He and I text back and forth during the games. I am an ABW fan as Steve Kerr and Steph Curry need to be focusing on NBA play and not espousing their solutions to all of the problems that BL sort of included. Steph must be multitasking. He is also producing a Putt Putt Reality show for ABC.
      Thanks for the column. Had wondered if some ugly medical issue had sidelined you, BL.

2 weeks ago

There is A LOT of very very strange stuff going on these days. The yet-to-be-answered question is are there enough very very strange people in America now to bring about the very very strange stuff ???

• Robert Kennel Reply

That was Bruce Jenner 🙃
      Exception proves the rule😎

2 weeks ago

If I’m not mistaken… “Bruce” changed his name when he changed everything else.

• Jay Lambeth Reply
      2 weeks ago

-Regarding baseball netting – Adding it all the way to the foul poles would, in my opinion, be an overly-excessive expense for something that would rarely happen.

-No comment on transsexuals.

-I am not opposed to alcoholic beverages-I enjoy wine with meals quite often-but I think serving alcohol at college sporting events would be opening a pandora’s box we shouldn’t open.

2 weeks ago

Actually the extra netting is relatively cheap item… about equal to one at bat for Bryce Harper.
        Alas… the “beer sales” issue is already a Done Deal. Those Pandora Boxes are pretty much all opened…

• Robert Kennel Reply
      2 weeks ago

Not much thought on my part.
      Foul balls- no problem with nettind beyond dugouts. It’s only line drives I worry about.
      No problem with trans athletes although Jenner might dominate.
      No real problem with beer at games, mostly football affected.
      Really enjoying NBA and NHL playoffs. Some of most exciting basketball I’ve seen. Slowly learning hockey, and Canes resurgence helped
      Sad about all the NC teams not making CWS but pulling for FSU and Cards.
      Loving MLB but you know I’m a Dodger fan 🤓

2 weeks ago

Those BFIBs (Best Fans In Baseball ??) in St Louis are NOT happy little BFIBs at all… DEMANDING Owner and GM spend a GAZILLION $$$ for very free agent.
        Thought you might have issues with transexuals competing vs women ?? Oh well …

• Former96Heel Reply
      2 weeks ago

Well, more folks have been injured by baseballs in stands this year than in centuries of climate change. Gotta go back to the Little Ice Age, caused in part by Native Americans no longer torching the Earth to keep the forests in check, to find humans actually harmed by climate change. So by that standard, Foul Balls are significantly more important than ANYTHING Al Gore has ever championed. Where is the Congressional hearing? Where does Beto stand on this issue?
      Does this mean whatshername over at UNC, the one who is, you know. Has she signed Neil Fingleton’s cross-dressing younger brother to the Lady Heels yet?
      Alcohol at games may possibly bring in about a dozen folks in a place where alcohol is not otherwise available, if such spots exist in 2019. Buies Creek maybe? How about Cullowhee? But those 20 year olds will be passed out by the end of stretching anyway, so that probably isn’t the best demo to target. How about going counter to everything mainstream, and make the place as family friendly as you can. Games that start at reasonable hours. A good flow to the game, not dictated by those TV timeouts. Decent prices on hotdogs and soda. It’s an easy way to hook an eight year old as a fan for life. If their parents weren’t spooked by the possible $500 price tag for a day out for 4, some of them (us) may be tempted to take the family to a game. Nothing attractive at all about the possibility of overpaying for stadium swill. Even less attractive is having to sit next to rev’d up board monkeys who have been downing hot beer all game.

2 weeks ago

I was wondering when Girls’ BB coaches will start recruiting Tranys ?? Why not?
        All your suggestions for College FB attendance make perfect sense to me. I’ll pass’em along to Bubba.