NCSU’s Randy Woodson / “Chancellor Solomon” … and YELLOWSTONE!

Solomon Woodson
    August24/ 2019

BL LOGO

NCSU’s Randy Woodson / “Chancellor Solomon

… and YELLOWSTONE

I have made side references to this opinion in recent years but never so boldly as today…RandyWoodson

I think NCSU Chancellor Randy Woodson is The Perfect Prototype for a successful / universally respected American University CEO circa 2019.

His adroit and efficient handling of the recent verbal defecation incident involving one of his senior-level administrators reaffirmed my respect / admiration for “Chancellor Randy”.

LINK To Mullen Mess.

Woodson has been at the helm of “Wolfpack U” since 2009… 10 years.  That is about double the standard life expectancy of a Major University CEO these days.  Chancellors, City Managers and Baptist preachers usually only last about 5-6 years before either a “palace coup” … “a sex scandal” … or a knee-jerk tweet does them in.  In the case of a Chancellor… failure to beat a hated rival often enough in FB or MBB can find the locks changed on his/her office by angry pitchfork-toting “boosters”.

Randy is entering Decade 2 with nary a storm cloud on the horizon which speaks to the Solomon comparison.

Randy’s emphasis has always been The Total NCSU Community … NOT a few dozen mangy snowflakes squatting outside his office with obscene misspelled signs.

Randy’s first thought each day is NOT “what agenda lapel ribbon should I wear today?”

Randy raises all sorts of research/grant $$$ for NCSU… and is always doing Real Chancellor Stuff.  How Cool Is That?

I was introduced to Chancellor Randy several years ago by one of his most enthusiastic true-believers – The Bob Kennel (TBK).  It was a very brief howdy-do at a New Reynolds BB game.  I attributed the briefness of the encounter to Randy’s fear of being button-holed by TBK on some issue of great personal importance to TBK. … Anyhooo …

OK… lets get one item off the table.  To all you “hated rivals” of NC State… Yes, I am well aware of who Dennis Smith Jr is and the semi-permanent stain he and Mark Gottfried inflicted upon NC State Univ.  Yes, IT happened on Randy’s Watch.

If Mahatma Ghandi and/or Mother Teresa were CEOs of a Power5 institution today… the odds that they are – unknowingly – harboring assorted malfeasances within their FB and/or MBB programs is at 99.3%.   For an academic institution to choose to engage in Power5-level athletics is equivalent to dousing oneself in lighter fluid and “playing with matches”.  You are going to get burned.

The instigating co-conspirators of said malfeasances will likely be among the deepest-pockets of one’s highly valued Fat Cat Donor data base.  Names that every College CEO has in his VVIP cellphone registry.

When – not IF – the Fit Hits The Shan and NCAA goons are perp waking your head coach and AD, those Fat Cat donors might be slow to return your call.  Such is the reality of being a Power5 Chancellor.  Another Anyhooo …

I have no clue what transpired twixt Randy and Chancellor Of Vice Mullen a week or so ago.  But Mullen The Redneck-Hater quickly “resigned” as Chancellor of Vice / Dean of Students at NCSU.  He DOES retain his teaching position due to “tenure”.   I do appreciate the need for “academic tenure” … AND how it is abused by the pompous asses who give all college professors a bad reputation.

The only “high crime” that might cost a college professor his “tenure” would be displaying a MAGA 2020 bumpersticker on his F-150 in the faculty parking lot.  Mullen did NOT do that.

Whatever transpired between Randy and Mullen resulted in the only action Randy had in his arsenal.  There was universal agreement that Mullen’s incredibly stoopid remarks ran contrary to the ideological bent of a GREAT MANY NCSU alumni.  Even those with their own concerns about The Great National Divide were quick to demand his ouster… even TBK agreed his remarks were inappropriate for his position as a senior NCSU administrator.

Yes… thousands of folks have noted that if Mullen had been a senior admin at UNCCH, his highly flammable rhetoric would have likely earned him a raise and maybe a building named in his honor.  If “Chihuahua” Folt were still in office I don’t doubt that might be true.Solomon and baby

Before and beyond this Mullen Mess… Chancellor Randy has shown his Solomonesque management acumen in the issues he has disarmed before they ignited… that we never knew about.  Such is the life of a University Chancellor… as with King Solomon “dividing the baby”.

Randy Woodson is a Perfect Fit for NC State University and he and the NC State community seem well aware of that fact.  Such harmony is Very Rare these days and all parties appreciate that …

He has continually turned down more lucrative job offers including becoming President of The UNC System when Tom “Bagman” Ross was ousted for “Ma” Spelling.  What a freakin’ train wreck that was…

Randy’s comment when his name was proposed was “classic”. … and I am paraphrasing…

“As a Chancellor, my efforts have a chance of being appreciated and I may even be “liked” by some.  As System President the odds of being “appreciated” much less “liked” are slim and none…”.  I like being appreciated and liked…

I love that kind of common sense “realness” from anyone.  Especially from a high profile academician.

I have no idea what Randy Woodson’s “politics” is/are.  Kennel claims he doesn’t know either which I find a bit hard-to-believe but I will.

A STEM-school like NCSU has a much more reality-based faculty than what inhabits a Liberal Arts asylum (UNCCH) but not 100% so as “Mad Man” Mullen indicates.  Randy manages his faculty zoo quite well.

That he has “governed” NCSU so well for ten years and counting without wearing his politics on his sleeve makes him as unique as unique can be in 2019.

I hope the posting of this High Praise for “Solomon Randy” does NOT result in “the offer he can’t refuse”.  I am pretty sure every NC State alum I know agrees with me.

.Theres More

If you have NOT been watching “Yellowstone”, you have missed a HUMDINGER of a TV series.  It is “a modern-day Western”.  The season finale is this Wednesday.

Yellowstone

Kevin Costner is “John Dutton”… patriarch / owner of “the largest ranch in America” next to Yellowstone Park.  The Duttons are quite dysfunctional…

My favorite characters are “Rip” the ranch manager and “Monica” the hottie Indian wife of Kayce Dutton.  So far Kayce has killed three people… but they all deserved it.  That number will likely increase this Wednesday.

The Arch-Villain in Yellowstone is played by Neal McDonough who is The Best Villain on Neal McDonoughTV these days.

McDonough’s very evil character in Justified was “disarmed” by Limehouse with a meat cleaver.  He will likely meet a similar fate on Wednesday.

If you haven’t watched, you can see it On Demand… Google Yellowstone TV Series.   Watch both seasons in order.  Trust me … A HUMDINGER!

I am also a Big Fan of “Queen Of The South” on USA Network which finales on Thursday.  More about THAT ONE later…

.Theres More

Speaking of Wisdom … The Wizards of Smarts in Major League Baseball showed “an Abundant Lack of” this weekend.

This was the 3rd Annual “players nickname weekend” or some such “THIS might fill the seats” whizband MLB-wide promotion.  All the players get to choose a nickname and have it on the backs of their jerseys.  And they get to design “cleats” that reflect their individual personalities … and paint their bats however they choose.  OK… even ol’ Old School BobLee was all right with those three items.

90% of the nicknames were dopey and showed about 30-seconds of original thought but what the heck.  Surely some kids somewhere think its cool … I guess.  Again… I was OK with it.

But then some pin-headed nitwit intern at MLB HQ suggested …

“Lets have all the home teams wear All-White uniforms and all the visiting teams wear All-Black uniforms.  And lets have all the team logos… the numbers… and the dopey nicknames the same color as the uniforms…” – WHAT!

MLB Unis

Apparently the MLB intern had a focus group of seven dim-witted millennials over-dosed on avocado toast who had never heard of Mordecai “Three Fingers” Brown and who thought “Mike Trout” was a new menu special at Bonefish.   Can you spell D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R?

The shebang was unveiled Friday night all across America… with the impact of “passing gas in church”.

Comparisons to “New Coke” and “The Edsel” were posted first… then it got scary nasty.  I, of course, quickly compared the debacle to Jimmy V’s “Unitard”.

My favorite fan reaction, so far, is from “Chad in Cleveland”.

“It looks like a Calcutta Cricket team playing a team of Ninjas.  This is really stoopid…”

Jim Edmunds, the color guy for The Cardinals, thought the Rockies had seven guys in their infield.  The players and the umpires were all dressed in all-black.

FWIW… last year each team got to design special custom jerseys that reflected their city / team name.  That was kinda cool… and actually made sense.

I know what you are thinking.  What happened to “that pin-headed intern at MLB HQ”.   At 10 AM Saturday a team of US Marshalls frog-marched her (“Madeline”) out of MLB HQ into a WITSEC program. She was screaming “BUT MY FOCUS GROUP REALLY LIKED IT…”

A Lot More BobLeeSays Columns … LINK

• Larry Stophanes Reply
      5 days ago

Thanks for the profile Bob. I’m a little ashamed a Carolina guy knows more about my Chancellor than a State guy such as myself. Apparently I’m not paying much attention. But that’s good isn’t it? Woodson is a smart guy not looking to get famous just quietly educating our kids, in other words… HIS JOB.
      We may suck at basketball but I think I’d still choose State.

5 days ago

I’d like to think I’ve moved beyond being “a Carolina guy”.

• Dr Wire Reply
      3 weeks ago

I will give Chancellor Woodson the best accolade I can think of for his position. He is the 2nd coming of Chancellor John Caldwell, the pride of Yazoo City, MS. RW is within 6 years of Caldwell’s 16 year tenure which was during a period from 1959-1975 of college growth, political anarchy and our 1st NCAA basketball title . He fought back the Chapel Hill rebellion to change State’s name to NCSU@Raleigh it was it UNC@Raleigh.
      Trivia answer: In 1945, NC State College changed the title of the chief executive of the college from Dean of Administration (President) to Chancellor. Who knows the politics of a title change so soon after WWII, maybe the greatest generation wanted to Keep America Great starting with N.C. State College.

3 weeks ago

Chanc Caldwell’s daughter Ann was a coed at UNCCH in the late 60s. I recall her as “a hottie”. I’ve always heard very good things about Chanc Caldwell. Bruce Poulton… not so much.

• Robert Kennel Reply
      4 weeks ago

Not the “President” I was thinking of :>))
      You were perhaps wise to not take the bait on personal characteristics. A comparison can be made of characteristics we might want in all our leaders from Universities to BOG’s to legislators to governors to judges to “presidents”.
      Initially shocked this morning to see an obituary for a “Robert Orr” of similar age.

4 weeks ago

Actually “Randy” would be an excellent Lib/Dem Prez candidate; EXCEPT he is waaaay too mainstream normal for that Star Wars Cantina of screaming bizarros.
        Pretty sure that is NOT “our” JudgeBob Orr. Although JBO’s head could explode any day with his severe case of TDS.

• Porgie Reply
      4 weeks ago

Remembering several years ago your column on Chancellor Woodson for system wide President where I asked that you take down before the PTB realized how right you were. I must agree with BK’s description of him. He always leaves me wondering at events, how did he manage to read my name tag while lookimg me in the eye or did he really remember!! His message at the Legacy Lunch to incoming students was that the old “look to the left, look to the right, one of you will not be here next year” is not applicacable any more. He has a passion for student success and encourages them to become engaged with faculty and school events.
      I too am enjoying Yellowstone but maybe over use of the f bomb. But I have worked with a few folks over the years who could not speak a sentence without its appearance.
      As far as Dennis Smith goes, that will fall more to Dr Yow’s side than the Chancellor. Maybe, just declare a ‘typo’ and be done with it. That seems to have worked in the past.

4 weeks ago

Ahhh, Porgie, Randy is as “accountable” for Dennis Smith as he is for “New Reynolds” and all the success in Olympic Sports during The Frau Era. “His Watch” includes the roses and the thorns.
        Yellowstone IS a bit “raw”. That Beth has “a mouth” on her fer sure. The scene in the dress shop was “CLASSIC”. There WILL be bloodshed come Wednesday night.
        I hope for all concerned that Randy will be “a Lifer” for you folks. His resume – LSU / Purdue / NCSU is NOT nomadic.

• Former96Heel Reply
      4 weeks ago

I would say it would be lost on the bozo from Duke who was on Constanza Stelter’s show saying our President is responsible for millions more deaths than Hitler, Stalin and Mao. To have someone in 2019 who understands that his own opinion is really not of matter to doing their job well, is pretty nice especially in a state job. Hopefully the flagship can find someone who can walk in his shadow…it certainly needs that person in these days of ours.

4 weeks ago

All of the reports I get on UNCCH’s Interim Chancellor Kevin G*****wicz are good ones. Based on those I hope he gets the permanent gig. He seems to be a “my job is to keep the trains running on schedule, the lawns cuts and the lights on” kind-of-guy. VERY different from “Chihuahua” !!! As with Randy, I don’t know Interim Chancellor Kevin’s personal politics… and don’t need to / or want to.
        Alls I would like him to do is NOT be a puppet for a few dozen mangy anarchists.
        Re: that Duke idiot on CNN… sounds like a left-over from their notorious “pot bangers” that so embarrassed Duke during The Duke Lacrosse Debacle. … CNN’s Brian Stelter is “that guy” in every high school class that never gets an invitation to reunions, but shows up anyway… with a rent-a-date. He is even more pathetic than “Fredo”.

• Robert Kennel Reply

BL, simple answer to your technical question —- ‘fat fingers” 🥴
      Simple question on personal characteristics?
      I like Chancellor Randy because he is intelligent, modest, innovative, caring about his 45K community, acts with integrity, respects his family, kind toward others, well organized, and adaptable to changing situations.
      My serious question: what is the difference between a Chancellor and a President?

4 weeks ago

I think I covered most all of Randy’s Eagle Scout qualities in so many words. I sense you are attempting to “argue with me” by defending Randy when I obviously have expressed my incredibly high opinion of him.
        Difference in Chancellor / President … best I can tell its simply whatever order a particular institution wishes to have them. When academicians are involved in anything, none of it will matter or make sense. Not unlike what cities call their city councilmen or how states label their legislatures ??? … I think they cut a bunch of words out of a thesaurus – tape them on a wall – and throw darts at’em.

• Frank.Earnest Reply
      4 weeks ago

Is Randy Woodson a “better Chancellor” than Holden Thorp is/was?

4 weeks ago

Excellent question, asked, I assume, because you know Holden is a personal friend of mine. My direct experience w/ Randy is a short “nice to meet you” and my evaluation of him is all based on 2nd/3rd hand reports.
        My answer is YES… IMO, Randy Woodson is a better University Chancellor than Holden was. Holden, IMO, was misplaced as an Executive Administrator. His expertise is in hands-on science projects and mentoring up/coming scientists… NOT the mind-numbing bureaucracy of administration. Essentially Holden was “Peter Principled” out of a chemistry lab into a corner office.
        Incidentally, Holden was – last week – named Editor-in-Chief of Science Magazine, which is the preeminent professional journal for the “Science” community. A role I can foresee being “right up his alley”.
        If “the masses of men do lead lives of quiet desperation” it appears that both Randy Woodson and Holden Thorp have managed to survive that occupational gauntlet to find their True Callings … as, to a lesser degree, I did when I escaped Corporate America to become “an Internet Legend”

• OldAlphaWolf Reply

Although I’m sure I’m sure I’m not as connected
      asTBK, I don’t know Randy’s politics, either.

4 weeks ago

And no one knew Solomon’s politics either. Another similarity between the two leaders.

• Robert Kennel Reply
      4 weeks ago

BL, had a full response and lost it in the internet jungle. Summarizing now:
      Chancellor Randy better than you think.
      Truly don’t know or care about his politics
      You missed his work in spite of 10 strange years of the UNC Board of Governors. I had attended 80% of BOG meetings in 20 years before he arrived. Have not felt need to go back since he came on board.
      Some recent things are start of Plant Science Initiative building whose program will be best in world. I call it the ultimate retention for him. Also USDA sending research office here from New Jersey. Also thoughtfulness in naming building for Irwin Holmes who broke color line for ACC in 1956.
      Simply stated, I love everything about the man and his family and also hear things first hand from 3 granddaughters at State right now.
      I feel good about NC State. 🤓😎

4 weeks ago

TBK: How come a fellow of your self-proclaimed brilliance cannot master the mundane art of sending an email? Its a mystery. Are you not paying your annual MENSA dues?
        Allowing Randy to “fly solo” at BOG meetings without Wingman BK is kinda scary.
        Lots to love about Randy. Incidentally he was told about my column earlier tonight by several BL Buddies at PackapaLooza.

• unctarheel1984 Reply
      4 weeks ago

I was just certain your King Solomon reference was in regards to the decision to sell beer at Carter-Finley AND still allow pass-outs. Alas ….

4 weeks ago

“Solomon” knows better than to try and do away with C-F “pass-outs”. I am “on record” that “selling beer / wine” will have NO significant effect positive or negative on anything at any area ACC stadiums.

• BC.Ral Reply
      4 weeks ago

Randy Woodson is a mensch.

4 weeks ago

I’m not fluent in Jewish slang but I’m sure “mensch” is “a good thing”. Yes, Randy is a mensch.
        THAT is high praise from a UNCCH “Morehead”.

4 weeks ago

Until you got to talking about Yellowstone I was convinced you’d been hacked by TBK.🤪

4 weeks ago

I call’em like I see’em and Randy is “a good’un”. I’m sure we will be hearing from both TBK AND from NCState’64 before too long.

• Ruth.Wyoming Reply
      4 weeks ago

Great column as expected. Thanks for up date on Yellowstone!

4 weeks ago

Yellowstone Finale should be gruesome. Not all will survive for sure. Last week’s scene in the Western Wear Shop was a CLASSIC! Beth went Full Beth!

• Claude Kennedy Reply
      4 weeks ago

Went down to Morehead this past Friday for Poo Rochelle’s service. Judge Lewellen delivered some very kind remarks. Another Red Devil is playing on the “big field” now.

Have a great weekend.
      CK

4 weeks ago

I never personally “knew” Poo but certainly a Kinston Legend in many areas. I will be in town for Geo Whitfield’s Day w/ Wood Ducks…