Can ESPN GameDay manage to …… ?

ESPN GameDay
    September03/ 2019

BLSays LOGO

Can / Will ESPN’s GameDay Stay NOT-Political ?

The only ESPN or FoxSports “studio show” I watch is ESPN’s College Football GameDay.  I don’t HAVE to see Herbie, Coach, Desmond, Rece and Friends on Saturday morning, but it has always been an up-beat entertaining show to get one in the mood for a day of watching college football’s color and pageantry.

Yeah, it can be hokey with Corso’s antics et al but “hokey” is OK when the subject is something as discretionary entertaining as watching football games.

NOTE:  I DO watch MLB Network… not religiously but often.  Can’t decide if Lauren Shehadi’s legs are getting longer or her skirts getting shorter or both ? … back to GameDay.

The successful formula for GameDay, of course, is the on-campus location with the students/fans/ cheerleaders all going manic in the background… doing what students/fans/ cheerleaders do… wave foam fingers and clever signs and scream really loud.

GameDay has visited well over 150+ campuses.  Overly-caffeinated fans of each of those 150+ schools are convinced their campus was the prettiest… their students the most enthusiastic… and their Bell Tower the Best.  How is Best Bell Tower judged?

My concern – as I watched Saturday – was How are the ESPN guys going to keep the set Not-Political.

How can they manage the signage… or t-shirts… or even people wearing MAGA caps.  When I say Not-Political I mean by either side.

America’s Culture War is well underway with skirmishes, ambushes and street rioting occurring daily… ESPN’s GameDay is too tempting a target to pass up.

With John Skipper (UNC’75) no longer at the helm of ESPN … something about his cocaine habit and several dozen incredibly stoopid personnel decisions… the Disney folks are trying to lure back the 60,000,000 viewers Skippy intentionally ran off.

Not concerned with the guys saying anything “Uh-Oh”.  They all impress me as quite savvy regarding their comments.  Same with the weekly celebrity fan they invite. BUT…

Even one sign by either side will quickly result in opposing signs if not fist fights et al.  The thought of a full-scale invasion of ANTIFA terrorists could be catastrophic.

How will ESPN handle it ???

NOTE:  I read a Facebook post this week apparently from a very fragile “snowflake”.  Miss Snowflake says just the sight of any red baseball cap causes her great anxiety.  She was requesting a national ban on ALL red baseball-type caps regardless of any message or logo.  YIKES! … She probably oughta steer clear of NCSU’s Brickyard and St Louis’ Busch Stadium… huh?

BEER @ CARTER-FINLEY – Game One…

I was not there nor could I watch on TV as I am not technologically in synch with The Swoffy Channel but… Beer State FB

I understand there was NOT a single drunken riot in the stands nor were there 1,000s of DUIs in post-game traffic.  Thats good.

I DID hear that there were long very slow lines at the several buy-a-beer concession stands.  30 MINUTE WAITS?

I am going to bet that “AD Boo” will have that problem solved ASAP.  AD Boo strikes me as a “We WILL solve this problem before the next game, guys” kind of administrator.

I also heard that Carter-Finley Security still has problems frisking grandmas and grandpas bringing bazookas and RPGs into the stadium.  Again… sounds like another “AD Boo CAN/WILL come up with a better way” kind of issue.

Board Monkeys Being Board Monkeys Being …

Before the past weekends game I did see the usual on-line feces-flinging at one another between local area hated-rivals.   The usual UNCheats yadda yadda versus Which State players are getting $40,000..?  The shelf life of both of those institutional insults is estimated at 25-30 years minimum.

I always mumble the same prayer… “Please God, let these goggle-eyed nitwits be no older than 14… 15 at most”…. but I know they are likely several decades older but no wiser… and probably already breeding.

I did see one reference to the ECU / NCState post-game riot from 30+ YEARS AGO.  REALLY!

That’s not as bad as a guy who told me recently he “hates the Dodgers and always will…”  “Whys that” I asked.  “For leaving Brooklyn!”.  OUCH!  That was 1957… 62 YEARS AGO!   That is getting into Hatfields & McCoy level of “… ain’t never gonna fergit by golly!”

All Aboard The Mack Bandwagon …

To the total shock & awe of 97% of UNC fans and 100% of UNC Hated Rival fans… Mack 2.0 is undefeated at 1-0 as of today – Tues Sept 3.  Tennessee and FlaState and VaTech are not.  OUCH!  And WHAT ABOUT THOSE DEACONS!

NOTE:  I saw where FlaState’s much maligned coach Willie Taggert blamed the ‘Noles loss to Boise State on his players not being properly “hydrated” !!!  Blame The Gatorade Guy is a new excuse.   The game was played in Tallahassee and the visitors from freakin’ IDAHO had no problems with the humidity ???

Will Willie make it to Halloween?  Will the Tennessee coach make it to next week?  The Bud Foster Farewell Season is in jeopardy in Blacksburg.

I am on-record as liking Mack and wishing him (and Bubba) well in this New Era of UNC Football. I am not emotionally invested in their success however.Mack UNC

I have cautioned UNC officials NOT to rush out to buy heavy-duty shocks for the Mack Is Back Bandwagon that is overflowing this week.  This week’s home opener versus Miami on Kenan’s new sooper dooper mega turf is certainly winnable… and losable.  If the latter… the Mack Bandwagon will lose a lot of occupants really fast.  It’s The Carolina Way… If Mack does go 2-0 will it mean THE SLEEPING GIANT IS AWAKE!  No, but some pinhead will think so… and say so.

Will BEER IN KENAN produce drunken debauchery … and/or 1,000s of DUIs post-game?  Probably NOT but you never know.

Meanwhile in Major League Baseball…

“My Cardinals” are the hottest team in MLB the past few weeks… now atop the NL Central Cardinalsby 3 games over The Hated Cubs.  25 games to go with 7 of the last 9 head-to-head vs The Hated Cubs”.

Despite their resurgence and a new found habit of late-inning comeback / walk-offs… St Louis’ self-titled BestFansInBaseball still have a highly vocal WE REALLY HATE WHATHISNAME THE STOOPID GENERAL MANAGER Bunch.

As in every sport… Fans are entitled to Opinions Without Consequences… and exercise that “right” with gusto. … sigh.

Oh, BTW… Kennel’s Dodgers have unveiled their 3rd Phenom Straight Off a Wheaties Box … Gavin Lux.  Gavin joins current Great White Dodger Phenoms Corey Seager and Cody Bellinger.

Gavin, Corey and Cody … sound like three of Ricky Nelson’s fraternity brothers… or extras in a Frankie & Annette Beach movie.

A Lot More BobLeeSays Columns … LINK

• Former96Heel Reply
      2 weeks ago

In Mack 1.0, he always talked about winning the state championship, whatever that is. I guess motivation when you have no chance to win the conference against FSU or worse, pre-FSU ACC when they struggled against the 1-aa teams. He gets a better chance this year with Wake and App out of conference. I just want to know what fake trophy they break out for that title? Plant a Long Leaf Pine at Kenan?
      Bubba better sell PSL’s this week. UNC Football bandwagons have the life expectancy of a Republican professor’s career over there.

2 weeks ago

BLSays column under construction will address this very phenomenon. Interesting that – playing “Big Four Member” WFU – does not carry the same Life / Death weight as playing NCSU or Duke. How has that evolved over the years to be the case?
        Not to belittle the current 2-0 record that NO ONE predicted… but UNC fan happiness is still totally dependent on outcomes versus HATED RIVALS within 25 miles.

• 70sTarheel Reply
      2 weeks ago

2-0, Sayin. Nah, just kidding. Don’t care too much either way. The Kool Aid weaning process has been going on for years. Don’t watch/follow but hard to avoid local sports reports. Still rather learn about a win than a loss. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

2 weeks ago

TWO exciting 4th Q Ws versus legitimate Power5 programs is TWO more than anyone expected this year. Most “experts” were predicting “maybe 4 Ws”. With each W confidence rises so who knows… BUT, alas, IT still comes down to THE HATED RIVALS … Can Mack2.0 beat NCSU and/or Duke? Oddly WFU doesn’t really count but probably should considering the recent jinx they have on the Pack ???

• Wild at Heart Reply
      2 weeks ago

Mack Brown coming back to UNC really was a dilemma for me, because I do genuinely like him and his wife Sally. As much as I disdain everything in light blue, I got a bit choked up watching Mack get choked up in the post game interview. It will be interesting to see how Mack 2.0 continues to handle the season, because he has changed a bit (for the good) since he left coaching. I am all for anyone who tries to bring the fun back into college football.
      I love everything Coach Doeren is doing with our program. Saturday looked more like we had reloaded rather than rebuild, but more important it looked like the guys were having fun. I get to see practice and I can tell you this is a special group. Unfortunately many of our fans can’t let go of last years Wake game and have expectations no coach in my memory has been able to meet.
      Hope you are doing well.

2 weeks ago

Fan bases get stereotyped for valid reasons and tend to live up /down to those stereotypes FOR VALID REASONS. Both NCSU and UNCCHs’ certainly prove that. The current Mack2.0 Bandwagon is barreling down Franklin Street like Mr Toad’s Wild Ride. For how long? Who knows… He (MB) is indeed “a good guy”.
        As for The C-F Gang… they tend to focus on the lows instead of the highs. DD does have a solid program but, alas, in the midst of The Era of Dabo. Hard to judge DD’s current team until they are tested by a peer-program.

2 weeks ago

Seems like being inside a Wal-Mart in Anytown, USA is a bigger target for unpleasantness than Game Day. Duly noted that Wal-Mart will no longer sale ammo but will sell beer & wine, plus liquor where legal at lower than stadium prices so the hullabaloo over beer sales should have a very short shelf life.

I’m sure coach Dorian will again be on speed dial for a few AD’s. The early speculation is this could be a high coaching turnover year. Also saw a stat where 28 transfer QB’s out of 130 NCAA FBS teams were starters for different teams in week 1.

2 weeks ago

I haven’t weighed in yet on The Transfer Portal !!! I will.

• Porgie Reply
      2 weeks ago

Never been a beer drinker so the selling has no affect on me unless you sit near BK and I and are showing your a**. Then I will summons the law and have you removed. Done it before. Not trying to take the ‘high road’ but I go to watch the game. Do whatever you want in the parking lot. I do go to the car at halftime but do manage to be back or close at kickoff for 2nd half.
      What novel ideas have come out of UNC-CH recently. Let’s light a tall structure after a victory or give out a belt for football turnover that features the ‘jump man logo’. Wonder if ORW is po’ed because he did not get that for his team. Next thing you know, they will be raising a closed fist with the pinkie and index finger extended and the sound of BAAAH rolling thru the lofty pines. I must admit that I was wrong in that I really thought it would be BB before lit. Maybe Women’s Soccer? I guess the only original idea was the 20 year scam of fake classes with a secretary making sure athletes remained eligible. That plus $20 mil spent to retain the St Dean legacy.
      The season ender for Yellowstone left bodies everywhere. But I do not recall seeing a member of the Dutton clan so much as receiving a flesh wound.

2 weeks ago

I was a bit disappointed in the Yellowstone season finale. Kayce offing the Beck brother on the toilet was a good one … but the big showdown at the militia compound seemed hurried to fit in the last 8 minutes. … Season finale of Queen Of The South was better.
        We’ll see what Instant Traditions Mack 2.0 initiates “over yonder”. Lets watch the Bandwagon Effect the next few weeks.
        Not looking too good for the Geo Whitfield Thingy this weekend but I’ll be there if it happens.

• Fayettewuf Reply
      2 weeks ago

Will Willie make it until Halloween? I was wondering if Will Muschamp was going to make to the bus on Saturday. Gamecock fans apparently don’t like very conservative play calls when the lead is only 3.

2 weeks ago

I would say W. Taggert’s seat is hotter than W. Muschamp’s seat simply because FSU fan expectations are higher than USoCar’s… and their knee-jerk likelihood greater. Not to dismiss the lunacy in William-Brice.
        With Charlie Strong being “much maligned” at SoFla.. will The State of Florida fire TWO AfAm HCs in the same season? The wrath of the SJWs at USATodaySports will descend upon them with vigor!

• Chip Reply
      2 weeks ago

My daughter graduated from JMU and was in attendance for both college football game days there. She said espn has “spies” everywhere to snatch up any potentially inflammatory signs.
      Another brush with greatness – my dad was fraternity brothers with Corso at FSU and “Buddy” Reynolds was in the fraternity house next door.

2 weeks ago

Good to know. That also speaks to how important GameDay is to ESPN… and their appreciation of how quickly its good reputation can be spoiled.

• Former96Heel Reply
      2 weeks ago

Corso has had a cush 7 figure job with pencil mfg Dixon Ticonderoga for decades now. I admire him more than his hoops counterpart Vitale. At least Corso disappears for half the year.
      My guess is, the fan signs are possibly a harbinger that today’s college student is almost completely removed from care of the partisanship if the truth were known. There is a very vocal minority who gets the attention, but the 90% remain apathetic until they hit the real world. Crude jokes and rival slams are way higher on the typical 19yo male’s mind than a political rant. And for that, we should all sigh a relief that the world hasn’t changed all that much.
      I was reminded this weekend how easy it is to love Mack. I hope they play well this year, but life will continue on for me if they lose out. It’s not worth getting the blood pressure up over a game.

2 weeks ago

I agree on all counts. Even in a culturally toxic environment like UNCCH, I believe 95& of kids are more concerned with their roommate’s personal hygiene and their own adolescent insecurities than they are with DJT’s tweets or his influence over hurricanes.
        All I know about Mack is that he IS a sincere person. Hated rival fans will HATE him for the same reason UNC fans automatically HATE all their hated rival’s coaches, players and fans. This team, from all accounts, is NOT all that talented especially in the “team speed” area and certainly not “deep”. If they can pull off 2-3 Ws early… who knows?

• Queen City Reply
      2 weeks ago

That’s an excellent point in regards to College Football Gameday considering they rotate around campuses. Herbie and Desmond handling of Corso on the set is to be admired since he is obviously struggling with some type of dementia. Fortunately for ESPN Cal Berkeley and or Wisconsin are not in the title hunt where you would expect to see the political spectacle unfold if they went live from those two campuses. If they can focus on the SEC schools they should be OK. Apparently Skippy’s replacement has decided to stick to sports which is a no brainer along with the fact that Fox has introduced their own version of College Game Day..

2 weeks ago

ESPN’s recent “parting ways” with SJW-wannabee Michelle Beadle is a sure sign of their effort to change the Skippy Image.
        Coach Corso might not make it thru the season.

• Robert Kennel Reply
      2 weeks ago

Met some of Porgie’s family at Carter Saturday at QB coming out day in the ACC. I like ours in McKay just fine. Guy sitting just to Porgie’s left waited for 30 minutes in 2nd quarter for $9 Tuffy beer.
      On ESPN gameday, I have some record of note. Our first varsity game for Coach Earle Edwards’ first NC State recruiting class was at FSU in 1956 with Lee Corso as their All-American QB. As second team end I got into game late in first quarter at the same time as Corso’s roommate, a reserve halfback named Buddy. First play he came off-tackle at me. I shed the block and popped him so hard it would have knocked off his future toupee’. That was my intro to Buddy ” Burt” Reynolds.🤓

2 weeks ago

Waiting 30 minutes in line for a beer ??? Not sure that solves DD’s interest in having fans in the stands for the game. This whole fascination over BEER IN THE ACC astounds me.