Issue: TVs in Restaurants…

Restaurant TVs
    September26/ 2019

BL EN FUEGO BEST

ISSUE:  TVs In Restaurants

I have 6-8 area restaurants on my “rota” for breakfast / brunch.  I would classify them as “upscale diners”… not Waffle House… or “Joe’s Greasy Spoon”.  Several are national or area “chains”.

Not “special occasion / first date places” and NOT “sports bars”.  NOT “a bar”.  We’re talking table-service “comfort food” with folksy wait staff and an average check of $10-$15/person.  i.e. “My Kinda Place”.

Without exception, they all have at least one, and more often 2-3 flat-screen TVs mounted around the dining room.  Not gianormous IMAX screens.  Maybe 35-45″ models… and the sound is muted with closed captions.

I am most often alone but not really.  I always have my bluetooth headphones w/ my current audiobook to entertain me.  Maybe some folks in 2019 need external entertainment and actually watch whatever is on the screens.  If you were with someone whether spouse or old friend much less “a business lunch” WHY would “watching a TV while dining” have any appeal at all? … OK, you got the picture.

If you owned – or managed – such a restaurant would what is being shown on your TVs be a significant element to the overall ambiance / atmosphere of your business?  Or, would you give it no thought … just turn the TVs on as visual “white noise”.

I believe a business owner has very very large parameters as regards the environment he/she/it creates within its retail space.  But, alas, we are living in very contentious times.  If one chooses to express a socio-cultural-political POV thru one’s retail space it WILL likely be noticed by one’s clientele… intended or not.

Accepting that consequence… do your thing!

4-5 months ago I was having a late breakfast in such a place.  Staring at me from across the dining room – albeit with the sound muted – was that bloviating cow Joy Behar and her View gang of faux-intellectual harpies.  My solution was easy… I was in a booth … I simply moved around to the opposite seat.  Bloviating Behar was now out-of-sight.CreedmoorCafe

The pleasant 50-ish hostess recognized me as “a regular” although no names had ever been exchanged.  As I was leaving, I discreetly (of course) mentioned to her that avoiding “provocative programming” on their TVs might be “good business” unless appealing to only half of their market  while insulting the other half was their intention.  I noted that The View was most definitely “provocative programming”.

A couple seated by the hostess station overheard our conversation and interjected that they shared my concern.  OMG… was I becoming a right-wing Che Guevarra assembling my troops in this diner?

The hostess expressed immediate concern and began searching for the remote.  “What would you prefer to watch?” she asked.  “Anything on HGTV or The Food Channel  or Weather would be safe.” I suggested.

I went back a few weeks later and one of those innocuous LoveIt ListIt FixerUpper / Diners&Dives shows was on.  Maybe I just came at the right time … or maybe by “speaking up” I had made that restaurant just a bit more universally pleasing.  I choose to believe the latter…

<<<>>>

A similar situation was noted at a “new place” I’ve been frequenting lately.  Again, NOT a sports bar … almost a Millennial “fern bar” offering gluten-free and lactose-free options.  Their “Big TV” is always turned to “a sport of some sort” … usually Euro- Soccer, I think.  The sound off.KitchenTable

I asked both the Asst Mgr and “my waitress”.  I have already established a “my waitress” at this place.

… if “what is playing on the TV” was a conscious management decision.  “Absolutely” they both said.  “We want to attract customers… not offend them” they said.

We discussed how “a soccer game” or HGTV / Food or The Weather shows are “safe”… and that NO “News channels” are safe at all.

The point of all the above is:

“Would YOU bother to express an opinion” at what you consider “objectionable programming”… or would you simply remove such restaurants from your “rota”?

If management responds discourteously to your polite question… your decision is an easy one.

I say… do so discreetly realizing that your waiter probably isn’t a decision-maker.  When I “do it” I never reveal my partisanship … but since I’m not screaming F-bombs I figure they know I’m not a Lib/Dem.

Theres More

BobLee on Facebook…

IMO… What was / was not said between DJT and the Ukrainian Guy about Creepy Joe (and Equally Creepy Hunter) Biden is totally irrelevant to anything.

The sole purpose of “Impeachment Proceedings” is to re-energize that 40% of “our Fellow Americans” who have been successfully programmed with an all-consuming 24/7 HATRED of TRUMP… and Hatred of Us Deplorables. TrumpHate

Dems hope that this timely re-engergizing of their Rabid Base will carry thru until Nov 2020 .. resulting in their Take-Over of America. … Time Will Tell if that strategy will work.

IMO… NONE of the Hot Bloods on either side SCREAMING IN ALLCAPS on Social Media – including me – know if it will work … or not. …. Have A Good Day!

A Lot More of BL En Fuego – CLICK

• Tim Moretz Reply
      2 weeks ago

Their strategy won’t work. When it comes time to vote there will be enough “in the know” voters to destroy the otherwise! It will come down to do I vote for “crazy-ass socialism” or to continue the “economic success” we currently enjoy? It won’t be close!

2 weeks ago

I hope your math is correct. IMO, The Dems are not even trying to appeal to any disenchanted Trump voters. They hope enough of them will simply stay home. They rely on HRC’s 63,000,000 to remain loyal to whatever human hairball is the Dem nominee.

• Jim Reply
      3 weeks ago

Oh, I love this. I have to remember the phrases you use and implement it. “Provocative programming”, great line. And the other “attract customers… not offend them”, also. I have griped at the gyms [O2 Fitness, well run and nice] I go to about news on TVs but your language is better than my objections to *any* news programs. I’m not a jerk about it. They do keep some TVs on network TV so in the afternoons I see those goons and hypocrites from the mega-Raleigh station that used to be OK. When I eat in Carrboro I don’t think it is worth objecting to CNN on the screen, I too have to change seats. It ain’t news, it is hard left propaganda.

3 weeks ago

I make sure not to reveal my bias… but rather simply ask if they realize what they have on would offend a significant % of the general public. If their management is so naive not to realize that it comes as a shock to them … If they are purposely showing a channel that is notoriously biased, they get my point really quickly. In any case, its their decision and they reap the consequences. … I don’t threaten to sue or take any action against them.
        As far as gyms… the last several I have joined including the current one have 12-15 TVs mounted in a row across from the treadmills / bikes / et al and usually have both CNN and FNC along with Weather and ESPN in the assorted mix. You pick out the machine in front of the TV you prefer… or you simply don’t much care. IF they offer the full assortment, its hard to find fault.

• Queen City Reply
      3 weeks ago

I still frequent airports quit a bit for business travel. Unfortunately CNN still has programming contracts and I’m often stuck listening to that garbage sitting at the gate. My local car ‘fix em up’ place recently switched the lobby TV to the weather channel from Fox News which I commended them on. I think Fox News has gone downhill recently. I never watch anymore,

3 weeks ago

FYI: CNN pays for that airport access AND also supplies all the TVs. Without airports their viewer #s drop to double digits.
        I have not watched a 10 minute segment of FoxNews in 10 years. I hear Bill O’Reilly is gone.

3 weeks ago

My buddies Radio_Smuggles and yarddawg agree.

3 weeks ago

Smuggles is DEFINITELY “an Odd Duck” …. 🙂

3 weeks ago

Very timely. Watching The View at Jiffy-Lube is not on my agenda either. Since FB, Instagram, Twitter, Snap Chat generation came of age, as a parent, early on I sensed problems and continuously warned my 3 kids to be careful of their content showing them doing shots, risqué videos, photos, profane language, even displaying extreme political or overt partisanship on social media platforms. The dreaded parental lecture was to always remind them that their digital record would forever follow them as they advanced in their adult professional lives and careers.
      It must have worked. A few months ago as our local former mayor ran for the US Senate and had to answer questions about a less than glowing audit of the GTP, I linked to several articles about it, and offered my opinion on FB. In a matter of minutes my oldest called me and told me my views could harm his career. Reverse lesson learned. Because of my numerous past bloviations to my kids, biting my tongue, I removed the articles and comments. Sticking to recipes, cute puppy, and grandchild photos only these days. I have both real and fake friends on social media that I both agree and disagree with and simply resist the urge to comment or “like” these days. My real friends know me and know I won’t change my opinions either way. I have no idea and frankly don’t care if my fake friends don’t know my rabid feelings or political leanings and that’s fine by me.

3 weeks ago

And… That’s Why God created pseudonyms …