So, 3,000 people stood in line for… WHAT?

Wegmans
    September30/ 2019

BLSLogo

Meanwhile 3,000 people stood in line for… WHAT!

What did YOU do this past week that was silly?  Hopefully “something” even if it was just putting on your socks before you put on your pants.  Some people do that I’m told… I don’t know anyone who does; but I’ve never asked anyone I know so…

You can know some folks most of your life… and there’ll always be stuff about them you don’t know… thankfully.  I wonder if John Wayne Gacy’s cousins said that …

My answer to my own question is:  I stayed up until 4:20 AM Wednesday morning watching a 19-inning baseball game.  The outcome of which was only of minor significance… if that.

For 3,000+ of my fellow Raleigh-area residents, they will look back on a shared experience yesterday (Sun) that will forever mark them as…

“… actually stood in line for several hours for the opening of a grocery store?”

“Greater Raleigh” already has more grocery store chains than it does subscribers to its local daily newspaper.  Now it has ANOTHER ONE.  Grocery store chains… not newspaper subscribers.

Wegmans has come to Raleigh.  I used to be involved with an LPGA golf tournament in Rochester NY that was sponsored by it’s locally based grocery store chain – Wegmans.  In the 3-4 years I went to Rochester I never visited a Wegmans, but I’m sure they are very nice grocery stores.

I don’t like grocery stores.  They don’t like me.  Every grocery store chain I ever go to is part of a complex conspiracy to hide the 2-3 items I need.  Peanut Butter, for instance, is never listed on those overhead signs that tell you what is on each aisle.  Sure, I could ask a helpful store employee but I’d rather “do it myself”… spend 45 minute of my life trying to get into the mind of the diabolical SOB that “hid the freakin’ peanut butter”. … and the Bel-Vita breakfast crackers.

There are seven grocery stores within 1.5 miles of BobLee World HQ.  I only shop in two of them which happen to be across the street from one another … a Harris-Teeter and a Food Lion.  I am a minimalist grocery shopper.  I don’t know if I have EVER used a standard cart.  I just use one of those plastic baskets.  That keeps me from impulse buying.

You have probably guessed, I don’t do the primary grocery shopping for our household.  There are many reasons to “get married”.  Having a spouse to do the grocery shopping is in the Top Ten for me.

Soooo, I was NOT among “the record-breaking crowd of 3.000+” to attend Raleigh’s first Wegmans Grand Opening.  Apparently the Guinness Record guys keep tabs on grocery store openings.   This may not have been LARGEST EVER but rather “… for a Wegmans opening in a city that starts with an “R””.

Should Presidential hopefuls – not named Trump – coordinate their campaign rallies with Wegmans Grand Openings to insure decent crowd “photo-ops”.

I am NOT making fun of folks who want to be “among the first to visit a new grocery store”.   I would be curious if “political ideology” and/or college sports team preferences affect one’s passion for “grocery stores”.

I visited a Whole Foods store a few years ago and had Rush’s “bumper music” playing on my Ipod with the volume turned up as I walked the aisles… just to see what mischief it might create.  Lots of scraggly constipated abortion-loving vegans going into catatonic fits and poking themselves in the eyes with toothpicks.  It was quite the sight.

Is there “a Wegmans customer-type”?  Did Mr Wegman’s great great great grandfather own a slave?  Does Wegmans donate to eeeevil organizations like The Salvation Army?  Does Wegmans sponsor a softball team in “church leagues”? … I’m sure someone has vented all those valid concerns… right?

Wegman Store

Wegmans is opening a store in Chapel Hill sometime in the next 8-10 months and, I think, one in Cary too.  Both of those Triangle-area communities have well-earned reputations for being “municipal funny farms” with extensive city ordinances on what shade of beige one is allowed to paint one’s mailbox.  Negotiating with their zoning nazis oughta be a hoot.

The last time we were in Emerald Isle, the oceanside community was all atwitter over the upcoming opening of a Publix grocery store.  What is it about “a new grocery store”?

For the record, I have never visited an IKEA store which apparently has a similarly passionate customer base.

… I’m sure grocery stores aficionados would wonder why I stayed up until 4:20 AM to watch a baseball game.  I wonder too.

I will visit Wegmans over the nest few weeks “just because”… I’ll wait until the HUBBUB dies down.  I wonder how long it will take me to find where THEY hide their Peanut Butter.

Summing up the recent Football Weekend…

I 100% Support Mack “going for 2” versus The Fighting Dabos.  As Michael Corleone said about Tessio siding with Barzzini – “It was the smart play.”

Apparently Mack spending “millions” to bling-up the UNCCH locker room has narrowed the gap twixt the two programs.

As for Mack’s choice of what play to call… in the Official Handbook for Monday Morning Quarterbacks:  ANY PLAY that – in hindsight – did not work was NEVER “The Right Play”.  Duh!  Every MMQB knows that.  Silly.

It was not the same Kenan End Zone; but that final UNCCH TD was eerily similar to one involving “TA’s knee” that will forever haunt every loyal citizen of WolfpackNation.

>>><<<

Speaking of WolfpackNation… A decisive loss in Doak Campbell Stadium would, historically, not be all that bad… but when The ‘Noles are historically bad, it is.  That the FSU win was engineered by a Transfer QB from “my Wisconsin Badgers” was noteworthy.  The phrase Transfer QB and Wisconsin Badgers has special meaning for NC State Football loyalists.

With no Ws over “a Power 5 opponent” after Week 5, this is NOT shaping up to be the year that TeamDoeren gains “Juggernaut” status.  A grim reality not being accepted well among Carter-Finleyites.

Oh well… it could be worse.  Up in Hokieburg Va, Bud Foster’s Farewell Season as “World’s Most Famous Defensive Coordinator NOT Named Brent Venables”  is NOT going well at all.  OUCH and OUCH!

>>><<<

Speaking of Baseball… On Saturday, I had THREE “devices” going simultaneously.  I was watching (1) College Football on the TV … (2) My Cardinals VS Cubs on my IPad … (3) Brewers VS Rockies on my IPhone. … “I felt sorry for myself that I only had three “devices”… until I met a man who had no feet” or however that old saying that goes.

When the 162 game season ended late Sunday afternoon, “My Cardinals” were NL Central Champions after a final series of nailbitin’ games that reaffirmed WHY – I Love Watching Baseball.

Cardinals

In the Cardinals’ postgame locker room celebrations complete with the perquisite “ski goggles” to prevent champagne blindness… the players – three of whom actually spoke decipherable English – managed to squeeze in EVERY SINGLE cliche for a sports locker room celebration… “Great bunch of guys who never quit” … “We never gave up” … “We just keep battling” … “We are A Family” … – and my personal favorite – “We never stopped believing in ourselves even when everyone else doubted us”.

ON TO THE MLB PLAYOFFS… Oh Boy!

A Lot More BobLeeSays Columns … LINK

2 weeks ago

VT better be glad defensive genius, Bud Foster kept the core close against the fighting Cutcliffe’s. That along with news that The McRib is making another abbreviated appearance on the McDonalds menu should be of some comfort to many.

2 weeks ago

Don’t kid about The McRib. That is the Holy Grail of fast-foods. Its annual return – however briefly – is often compared to Swallows and Capistrano.

BREAKING NEWS: YIKES…
      UNCCH’s Bubba TheRealAD just apologized to Clemson fans for “inappropriate video board insults” during Saturday game …

• Meg Reply
      2 weeks ago

Wegmans convert from Rochester here…(moved here four years ago saying what on Earth is a Wegmans?)…Google suggested this article to me. Had to chuckle because I think their aisle signs actually list peanut butter. (Though not the bel vita) They also have these half size grocery carts.

Thank you.

• Patty Reply
      2 weeks ago

When you visit they will walk you to the peanut butter aisle. And then ask you if you need anything else. That’s the Wegmans difference. You’ll love it!

Very cool! Thanks.

• Jerry.Wilson Reply
      2 weeks ago

BL; you went and did it AGAIN …. A KILLER line buried in the Wegmans saga.
      “Greater Raleigh” already has more grocery store chains than it does subscribers to its local daily newspaper. Now it has ANOTHER ONE. Grocery store chains… not newspaper subscribers.
      They must love you at The N&O… 🙂

2 weeks ago

No clue, Jerry. Most of my “favorite targets” are no longer drawing a paycheck down there. With the exception of “That Damn Dan” Kane, I don’t much care for anyone down there. As you can tell!

2 weeks ago

ALERT !!! ,…. I am getting a lot of emails / texts about the ECU situation with the Interim Chancellor being suspended for being in a bar w/ students.
      I don’t know any more about the incident than you can read on area news websites. I don’t know enough about the Intr Chanc to comment on him directly.
      BL

RE. Former96Heel

Totally agree. Traveled a lot in upstate NY when working. YES. We do seem to have an abundance of transplants. Jimmy V got a special permit.

There ought to be a TOP TEN LIST of why NY’ers are migrating to NC.

1…..they like QUE better than Polish sausages….since the Polish hot dogs have had to list the ingredients….and NOW they know what leftovers go i them.

2…. Mayor Bill of NYC fame has dropped out of Prez race and now has his sights set on Albany.

3… They are tired of the SALT fiasco and the courts ruled that Democrats can NOT pick and choose their taxes.

4…. When Remington Arms deserted NY after 150 or so years and went to Greensboro, they knew the neighborhood was going downhill.

5…. First available Bille Joel at the Garden tickets are April 1, 2027….can’t plan that far ahead.

6….. NYC (or maybe NY State) Human Rights Commission has defined calling a person an “ILLEGAL ALIEN” will be punishable by up to a $250,000 fine …. per occurrence. They know that Dumb Polak and Timid Tony phrases will eventually become Politically INCORRECT.

7…. Hope to spot Bob Lee lurking in the Feminine Hygiene aisle at Wegmans and get a selfie…..

8…. Cuts 12 hours driving time to their Myrtle Beach Time Share.

9…. Moving to prevent their sons from wanting attending SUNY-Cortland even though it is 90% female….don’t want to have to pop for counseling when their sons are constantly rejected and don’t want to tell the WHY….

10… Was told that Jim Goodmon has arranged for Simon and Garfunkel to do remake of Central Park Concert at Dix Hill and that Native NY’ers get free joints and tickets…..

End of LIST….Wonder what Aldi’s gonna come up with?

2 weeks ago

Find out for yourself at 8:30 AM. I’ll be on the road and out of signal range.

2 weeks ago

Re: The Chancellor saga. DG is scheduled to appear with Henry Hinton tomorrow morning on his daily show. If there is a rest of the story DG is history. If there is no rest of the story being at a bar in downtown G’Vegas is legal, even for a chancellor…. As of today anyway.

2 weeks ago

Was DG “set up” by a SJW who wanted to take him out? Isn’t DG a good friend of Harry The Hammer? Is Harry in position to Free DG?

2 weeks ago

No one will ever agree whether or not Mack made the correct call especially since the conversion failed. If, on the other hand, it did work, Mack would have been hailed as a wily old veteran coach and Dabo a klutz for not having his team prepared. Such is he nature of such things. Neither assessment is correct btw.
      Mack can recruit anyway so this game won’t hurt. I really like how Mack addressed losing 3 close, arguably winnable games. It sounds like something CNR would appreciate. Mack talked about teams preparing for a standard rather than an opponent. Works in real life too. Coach speak works for those being coached. Otherwise teams wouldn’t need them. I wonder how many Big Ram’s extrapolated that to mean, maybe, just maybe, wins against a certain hated rival are meaningless if it’s only for bragging rights but of little other consequence. Again, so much animosity, so little at stake……forever. Maybe Butch Davis was right about that one anyway.
      Right on regarding 3K attending a grocery store grand opening ceremony. It reminds me of the episode on the Andy Griffith show when the whole town of Mayberry shows up just to wave at a armored car passing through town after Barney leaked details to everyone. So little has changed with humans… since the year dot.

2 weeks ago

I think the half-life on Mack’s decision is about “Thursday”. The Story was that it was so close and What Coulda Been. Close enough to show what Mack can do… but leave something for later on. I’m pretty sure Mack knows the importance of Hated Rivals unlike Butch and Larry.
        As I recall CNR was disappointed in Mack’s final coupla years in Austin. It was obvious he had lost his “Want To / How To”.
        Big Trouble in G-Vegas… another Chancellor In Peril. I’m betting theres a “rest of the story” yet to be told.

• Ric '73 Reply
      2 weeks ago

Agree with previous, I’ve always said THE WALL should be built on the NC/VA line. I-95 was poorly engineered to begin with, should have been one lane South bound and six north, as I-40 should be one lane east, …
      Mack’s call was absolutely correct, we had nothing to lose after that effort, and everything to win. Just being in position to have to make the decision is the stuff of legend either way.

2 weeks ago

Not everyone agrees about Mack’s Go For The Win. He was playing with House $$$ by that time so why not Go For It!

• Robert P Kennel Reply
      2 weeks ago

Shucks, almost didn’t comment, but couldn’t resist. Very well written column as usual. We agree fully on grocery shopping, peanut butter, and Belveda. That must be your favorite snack while walking and listening in the morning. I’m just a simple Harris Teeter buyer. They’re close, good specials (buy 2, get 3 free), and good Thursday 5% discount for “seniors”. Great UNC-CH/Clemson game. I’m not down on Doeren. Duke doing well and Wake very well.
      I’m not a vegan but still don’t like Rushmo.
      Your geographical/family/political tie has taken you far. I’m finishing a new book on “21st Century Letters to Editors” Even I was surprised that I had written 64 in the last 20 years :>)) You might not like it :>))
      Thanks for each Monday morning.

2 weeks ago

Lordy Lordy BK… surely I am NOT the target market for your endless series of “new books”. James Patterson is not a prolific as your autobiographic epics.
        I’m sure DD knows that if he should ever lose Your Support he is SOL. I thought my tie-in about Transfer QBs to/from Wisconsin was remarkable. 🙂

• Fayettewuf Reply
      2 weeks ago

Thought the game with Clemson was much more entertaining the one later in the evening. My reaction to the loss by the Heels was about the same as yours. Mack came out almost as if he had won. I wondered at the time if Clemson had overlooked the Heels as the Heels had overlooked App State.
      I have adopted the Cardinals because of their back-up catcher. I have been a Red Sox fan for years but am losing affection for them due to their micro-managing owner.

2 weeks ago

Andrew Knizner is Yadi’s designated successor for sure but who knows when that day might come ?? America will get to see Trea Turner in the Playoffs… a very solid MLBer for sure!
        .br>
        The “almost” W for Mack w/ Clemson was perfect for keeping his fan base positive.

• RowdyBlueTarHeeler Reply
      2 weeks ago

re: waiting in line – all day in the hallway of Carmichael Auditorium for Tar Heel basketball tix, many times; and, all night a few times for Rolling Stones and Grateful Dead concert tix.

2 weeks ago

Those events were more significant that “the opening of a grocery store”. I appreciate the fondness for the Wegmans chain but don’t see the urgency to visit on Day One?

• Queen City Reply
      2 weeks ago

Hopefully Mack 2.0 and NCSU can invest more into facilities to compete with WFU football..

2 weeks ago

Hold on! Remember “Even Wake Forest has one” was Fedora’s woeful plea for a UNCCH Fancy IPF. Not that it helped much against Deacon Dave.

• Wolfdon Reply
      2 weeks ago

Look at it this way, 3000 x 2 is comparable to crowd size that doesn’t make it into a TRUMP Rally,
      How does it happen that a team barely loses at home to App State and barely loses to #1 ? Obviously, the rest of the season will decide Mack’s success or failure in the eyes of the nation this year.
      No such uncertainty as to DD but only in the eyes of the WP nation.

2 weeks ago

No clue how you lose to AppState then come REALLY close to beating #1 Clemson ??? If Mack2.0 can eke out 5 or 6 Ws with at least one coming over NCSU or Duke, that oughta keep Fat Rams happy until next year. A Win over Clemson would have inflated expectations waaaaay too much. “Close” was good enough.

BL,
      Interesting. My DW has figured out the masses. Wegman’s, as you point out, is a small time and locally like YANKEE establishment. Like our Mexican Border Security issues, we have the SAME along the VA border. Roy Cooper will probably VETO the “Keep Out the Yankees” horse fence that the Legislature will approve. I suggest a TOLL ROAD for I-95 and I-77 because MOST drivers (especially motor home folks like me and truckers) plan their fuel stops for SC and VA and AVOID the Gasoline Taxes in NC. YES, that is tongue in cheek, but with a LOT of insight and common sense when you talk to the truckers and my fellow RV’ers. We native NC’s ALWAYS top off in TN or VA or SC before heading home…
      As to Mack the Annointed….he gave Clemson a handful. I remember about 3 years ago when WE were lowly and had no kicker and had Dabo on the ropes. He escaped by icing our kicker….and went on to win the National Championship. I DO hope that the Fat Cats of the Rams Club that put a deposit on his GOLDEN CROWN, or perhaps they had the Votive Candle Company fashion a “Thorny One”, got their money back.
      As to HFBC DD, he is at risk….as he was circa 2017. Only a victory over UNC and a LOT of luck for the rest of the season will calm the rabid fans. We are WAY past the Pitch Forks and Pine Tar Torches. The longer the Bell Tower is SILENT and also NOT BATHED IN RED…the worse it will get. He is said to be taking night courses at the Harvard School of Business in the Fuquay Campus on “How to Organize Tier II FB Coaching Staff”. Yanking the fair haired QB in Game 1 or 2 and trying different underlings would have been MUCH more palatable. Wonder if BOO has a Trick for him by Halloween?
      BTW….I totally removed and reloaded Google Chrome. Your web page is still in the “Midget” format. No other pages have that issue. I shall have to use the distasteful MSFT IE Explorer with the ANTI TRUMP headlines….as much as I despise it. The things I do to keep you getting clicks….

2 weeks ago

Don’t know what to tell you. Chrome is my browser of choice, I have no problem viewing BLSays or any websites ???
        If Mack2.0 wins 5+ in 2019 he will have FatRams aplenty ready to throw their trust fund $$$ at him for any silly bling he wants.

• Former96Heel Reply
      2 weeks ago

That Wegmans is moving to NC is a testament to how many people have evacuated Upstate NY for your area. There’s a high chance more people in your neighborhood had their first job at Wegman than at Food Lion. Such is NC demography in 2019, at least in the urban areas. If you don’t think they are going to publicize a large Emily’s List contribution before tackling Cary or CH zoning, you are nuts. They may even promise to bring in Pocahantas herself for the ribbon cutting if construction can get crammed thru before her Chiefdom installation next November.
      Hopefully someone has let them know, when WRAL forecasts winter weather, they better have back-up trucks ready full of water, bread, milk and batteries. Don’t bother with snow shovels.
      That retail in general struggles, while a painfully difficult grocery business thrives says at lot about the amount of money Americans spend on culinary gluttony.
      You ever wonder how many people who DO NOT have money on the game, watch a marathon like that to completion? Dozens? 3? Or are they broadcasting literally just to you and a few people in Hawaii or Guam?

Finally, if Mack doesn’t land recruits from that showing, I would be shocked. Kenan gave him one more nice crowd after 2 close loses, and the team way outperformed expectations. Him selling the program as just a few players away from something big, is a believable exaggeration today.

2 weeks ago

The outcome of Mack VS Dabo was IDEAL for Mack. Had he won, the expectations from the peanut gallery of Sleeping Giant Awakeners would be immediately gluttonous. This way he just whetted their appetities with possibilities.
        I watched that whole game for the same “why” folks wanted to visit Wegmans on Day One. Just to brag that “I DID IT”!